Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

10 reasons why DS9 is secretly the best Star Trek? Pretty sure that headline is wrong. There's nothing secret about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

My child, you are reading this in Kai Winns voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Rawr

IvySlayer wrote: »
    My child, you are reading this in Kai Winns voice

(Squeezes the corner of IvySlayer's post)
    Your P'ah is strong....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

10 reasons why DS9 is secretly the best Star Trek? Pretty sure that headline is wrong. There's nothing secret about that.

It kinda was the hipsters choice for a long while; at least until Netflix / Amazon made it easier for folks to jump onboard and see what the fuss was about. It has definitely got a bit of a renaissance in the last 10 years. Not a "secret" anymore but for a while the forgotten Trek all the same.

And Kai Winn & Gul Dukat? Trek's best antagonists by a country mile. I honestly don't even think there's a contest here.

• Advertisement

ds9 was one of the first shows in any tv series to do arc, use cgi, etc it was years ahead of most shows in format , design etc

pixelburp wrote: »
    And Kai Winn & Gul Dukat? Trek's best antagonists by a country mile. I honestly don't even think there's a contest here.

I'll echo you on that, but also raise you Weyoun.
    There's was something very addictive about this villain with a constant "nice guy" routine...especially when you know it's all a front for his plans to kill & subjugate people in the name of his Founders.

DS9 was great with bad guys all round :)

(Also: Liquidator Brunt F.C.A. another great bad guy, same actor, same show!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,243 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ds9 was one of the first shows in any tv series to do arc, use cgi, etc it was years ahead of most shows in format , design etc

I wonder though if DS9 would have gone down the arc route if it had not been for Babylon 5.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wonder though if DS9 would have gone down the arc route if it had not been for Babylon 5.

Wasn't there some suggestion one was an intentional clone of the other? I could swear I read a story that J Michael Straczynski pitched Paramount for a Trek show set on a space station; they turned it down, Straczynski went to make Babylon 5 off the skeleton of the Trek story, then Paramount turned around and produced a Trek Space Station series anyway. This could be utter horsesh*t and acknowledge it's probably myth...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,243 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wasn't there some suggestion one was an intentional clone of the other? I could swear I read a story that J Michael Straczynski pitched Paramount for a Trek show set on a space station; they turned it down, Straczynski went to make Babylon 5 off the skeleton of the Trek story, then Paramount turned around and produced a Trek Space Station series anyway. This could be utter horsesh*t and acknowledge it's probably myth...

There's a bit of background on that angle here... some of the similarities are probably just parallel development but taken together the evidence is circumstansial:
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Babylon_5

As a fan of both series, in a small but lynchpin role - Robert Foxworth jumping series from Babylon 5 General Hague to DS9 Admiral Leyton did leave a bit of a sour taste.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

I think its fair to say ds9 did get its original premise from B5, however Ira Behr, was ahead of the curve and knew tv was changing.
    Episodic tv was not a thing then in the sense of continuation as shows like TNG were land on a planet, tell a story, same again next week, there was hardly continuation to a big background story.

With ds9 that was not the case, and soon almost all tv shows would be copying ds9 in arcs.
    As for B5, they did not have the publicity machine trek had, even if ds9 was the red headed step child of the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished a rewatch I started a couple of months ago. First thing that strikes me is how well it has aged for a 25 year old TV show. Story wise it was mostly good as I remember but like my first time watching all those years ago I am still indifferent at best to most Bajoran story lines. The Ferengi story lines I enjoyed a lot more this time, I maybe didn't appreciate the light-heartedness it brings when I was younger. I do wish they explored the founders at bit more, their motivation is barely touched on and mostly explained away by their contempt for 'solids'. One particular scene that really struck me as poorly conceived is in the episode 'Paradise Lost' when a changeling disguised as O'Brien comes to Sisko and tells him there is 4 changelings on earth and they are causing so much panic. For me it just affirmed them as generic bad guys. In a series that had such depth in writing I guess I expected more. Overall still my favourite Star Trek series, the likes of which we'll never see again if Discovery and Picard are anything to go by.

When you say you wished they would have explored the founders more is sort of unfair as there was only so much they could do in the time they had. , when you can look back on the show and look at all the alien races they did explore very well

As it was you only have to look at the depth they added to the klingons from TNG
    The depth they went in to with the cardassians was unlike anything the other shows did with a relatively new species.
    Same could be said for the bajorans.
    They totally changed the perception of the ferengi's from what they were in TNG.
    The Jem Hadar, Vorta and others were given some good episodes as well with strong characters.

I totally agree of all the shows, especially its age, it holds up the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About midway through season 7 now. Really glad I went back and filled in all the gaps in 3, 4 & 5. I've even come to like the Ferengi, where originally I found their clownish side-show really irritating.

The continuity from episode to episode is brilliant, not something you saw much of in TNG. I watched the episode last night where Nog does his Ferengi trading thing, and at the end we've found out that he traded Martok's shipment of blood wine for a better vintage (2309).

At the start of the episode then Kor arrives on the station, Worf gives him a drink and Kor says, "Ah, 2309, a great year".

That's a tiny, tiny detail. If I was watching it week-to-week as originally broadcast, I would have missed that. But many of the more obsessive fans wouldn't have, and no doubt the writers knew that.

seamus wrote: »
    ....and at the end we've found out that he traded Martok's shipment of blood wine for a better vintage (2309).

Better?!!

That's a 2309...there is no finer vintage

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seamus wrote: »
    About midway through season 7 now. Really glad I went back and filled in all the gaps in 3, 4 & 5. I've even come to like the Ferengi, where originally I found their clownish side-show really irritating.

Yeah they grew on me quite a bit over the seasons. "The Magnificent Ferengi" is one of my favourite episodes.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah they grew on me quite a bit over the seasons. "The Magnificent Ferengi" is one of my favourite episodes.

That the one with Iggy Pop?
    He was outstanding as a Vorta

• Registered Users Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that was the one.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Just finished watching What We Left Behind
    What a great documentary but damn it's sad seeing Aron Eisenberg and René Auberjonois on screen, particularly with René's final words to the screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I watched that recently too and really enjoyed it. I started a run through after it. It’s like putting on a warm blanket watching it again. I must have watched them all about ten times at this stage, but will all the ****e going on I just find it relaxing watching them. You don’t have to follow a major multi season story (even though there is that as well) you can enjoy each episode on its own. Sometimes I think that’s missing from tv shows these days.

• Advertisement

I watched that recently too and really enjoyed it. I started a run through after it. It’s like putting on a warm blanket watching it again. I must have watched them all about ten times at this stage, but will all the ****e going on I just find it relaxing watching them. You don’t have to follow a major multi season story (even though there is that as well) you can enjoy each episode on its own. Sometimes I think that’s missing from tv shows these days.

Yeah DS9 was serialised but most episodes had a self contained element and would stand on their own too.

Often, missing one episode, was not a story killer and you could catch up (I know, having missed a few in 1998/9 due to leaving cert study)

Almost ever 2 years I do a re run of the entire show, usually in a binge watch over a fortnight.
    And every 4 or 5 years have done rerun of voyager and enterprise.
    For some reason tng and original series, i have never done entirely, but will select a random episode, maybe because they were so stand alone episodes for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Watched an incredibly good 2 part-er I hadn't seen this one, recommended from here

6. “Improbable Cause” and “The Die Is Cast” Season 3, Episode 20 & 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=cl66ilQCCNs&feature=emb_logo

"Have you heard the story about the boy who cried wolf....moral of the story is...you should never tell the same lie, twice'. Brilliant.

Garak, Andrew Robinson, is utterly brilliant as always. Any episode that featured Garak and Odo were always the best episodes. Brilliant actors both of them.

Pains me they don't make stuff this good anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

AllForIt wrote: »
    Watched an incredibly good 2 part-er I hadn't seen this one, recommended from here

6. “Improbable Cause” and “The Die Is Cast” Season 3, Episode 20 & 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=cl66ilQCCNs&feature=emb_logo

"Have you heard the story about the boy who cried wolf....moral of the story is...you should never tell the same lie, twice'. Brilliant.

Garak, Andrew Robinson, is utterly brilliant as always. Any episode that featured Garak and Odo were always the best episodes. Brilliant actors both of them.

Pains me they don't make stuff this good anymore.

I watched it the other night, Andrew Robinson is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I started a rerun of TNG at beginning of lockdown. Loved it and put me in the mood for more.

Started DS9 which I just missed when originally broadcast and I am enjoying it.

Watched "Duet" last night and found it unreal, so much so that I watched the last 20 minutes again this morning. Powerful stuff and great acting.

Looking forward to the rest of the seasons over the next few weeks.

I also watched ST Discovery inbetween and it was poor and just disrespected almost everything the TOS, TNG & DS9 created and Discovery's characters apart from Pike are poor.

Also, it's a pity DS9 & Voyager have not been upgraded to HD.

murpho999 wrote: »

Watched "Duet" last night and found it unreal, so much so that I watched the last 20 minutes again this morning. Powerful stuff and great acting..

loved that episode, but I had seen the movie "man in the glass booth" only months before I kept drawing parallels as Duet was based on that.

Definitely the best episode of season one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched it the other night, Andrew Robinson is fantastic.

Yes. He is something else. The character Garak was so likeable. I'll never get tired of him saying "The things you can learn from hemming dresses", with that devilish smirk on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

His "my dear doctor" is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, it's a pity DS9 & Voyager have not been upgraded to HD.
    And unfortunately is never likely to happen. TNG was shot with a lot of practical effects and miniatures, making it relatively straightforward to take the original film negatives and rescan them into HD.

DS9 and Voyager used a lot more CGI, for exterior shots especially. This can be upscaled but it just doesn't transfer as well, they would have to be completely re-rendered in HD from the original code to get the same effect. And apparently the original code is gone, so in essence you'd have to redo every shot.

There have been some attempts to use machine learning though to upscale the original CGI shots, and the results are good if you do a google.

At some point in the future it may become feasible to do a HD remaster at a reasonable cost and they'll go with it, but not in the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement

a grainy copy of DS9 is still far supreme to any hd, bluray etc version of discovery

Advertisement