Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Sport RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Not good.
    He belongs on community radio or in the local sports bar, not public service broadcaster standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not good.
    He belongs on community radio or in the local sports bar, not public service broadcaster standard.

Disagree...great co commentator has passion and enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Disagree...great co commentator has passion and enthusiasm.

Can be a bit of a one trick pony though? Mind you, was Brian Carthy the main commentator? Bit dopey, even told us in the end that Kilkenny had prevailed!

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Can be a bit of a one trick pony though? Mind you, was Brian Carthy the main commentator? Bit dopey, even told us in the end that Kilkenny had prevailed!

Yes he did , yes he did,in fact I just tuned in at that exact point and after intermittently listening all afternoon, nearly packed my panties with loose scutter when I heard it.No kidding, hoop heaved and I barely contained the load.

Wonder would “Fáilte ‘gus cèad’ accept the deep cleaning bill:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Yes he did , yes he did,in fact I just tuned in at that exact point and after intermittently listening all afternoon, nearly packed my panties with loose scutter when I heard it.No kidding, hoop heaved and I barely contained the load.

Wonder would “Fáilte ‘gus cèad’ accept the deep cleaning bill:confused:
    My ears are still sore from John Mullane! I like that they have players/former players on the show. Not a Bernard Flynn fan. Heard Michael Quinlavin on yest and thought he was good (I am biased being a Tipp fan!)

• Advertisement

Poor John Kenny commentating on Tyrone Roscommon had a bit of a mare today.

He had Mickey Harte driving forward instead of Peter Harte.

He had a game in Carrick on Suir instead of Carrick on Shannon

There were several other bloomers too.Banty didn’t help him.

That said it was his first big game, I think he will be fine after bedding in.

I like the lad, hope he does well

thought JK has done loads of games?, has done highlights on TV anyway

thought JK has done loads of games?, has done highlights on TV anyway

Yes he has, but not full on games in Croker.

Small stuff from the provinces ,lives in Naas I think so gets the stuff around there.

Doesn’t usually do the big time games- and it shows.

Poor John Kenny commentating on Tyrone Roscommon had a bit of a mare today.

He had Mickey Harte driving forward instead of Peter Harte.

He had a game in Carrick on Suir instead of Carrick on Shannon

There were several other bloomers too.Banty didn’t help him.

That said it was his first big game, I think he will be fine after bedding in.

I like the lad, hope he does well

I thought JK was terrible and felt his co presenter wasn’t mad about him either. For me, Padraic Lodge is better. God, I miss Micheal O M

honeybear wrote: »
    I thought JK was terrible and felt his co presenter wasn’t mad about him either. For me, Padraic Lodge is better. God, I miss Micheal O M

In fairness, JK is the cricket guy, the insert commentaries guy,when a big match is in progress, first time I heard him in a big game in Croke ,full match with a co com.

It’s a tough job with all the subs and stuff.

Had a bit of a mare but I wouldn’t say terrible, hope he gets a few more chances to gain experience.

Lodge is indeed better but with all these games, now, new voices will be needed.

• Advertisement

Awful radio interviewer of both managers after the wonderful draw between Galway and Clare. He asked both of them negative questions about the cracking match. Both were obviously shattered by the match and he focused on negative aspects

Listening to commentary on U21 hurling-Martin Kiely is good at commentating. Would much prefer him to Marty’s ott commentary

Listening to commentary on U21 hurling-Martin Kiely is good at commentating. Would much prefer him to Marty’s ott commentary

Yeah, wish he would pronounce ‘e’ as ‘e’ it’s not the cinter, it’s the center.

Also says leave instead of let, that Munster schyte really boils my piss.

On another tack, Cahill nearly blew his wad when “de hokkiees” won.

On about Italia 92 and “de paaartie” and de haumecoming .

Nearly became “emotional” at the texts in from John in the tractor and Bernie on a towel in Marbella as deeay rolled in.

Fhcukkers who never saw a ‘hokkkie’ match in their lives!!!!

Thought Cahill would pass out .

Will he be in for de homecoming gig..... for fcuking sure he will be plugging it.

That said well done to the lasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Will he be in for de homecoming gig..... for fcuking sure he will be plugging it..

Unlikely. If they had to pay their own way over they can hardly afford to pay for him for the way back.

Unlikely. If they had to pay their own way over they can hardly afford to pay for him for the way back.

He was there on the stage,large as life Losty....

Just off the topic a tad, tuned into SS today in the motor and these two plumbers whoever they were were commenting on the English Premier League, all were discussing “See -ie”... what was that all about.

It was only when Joanne Cantwell mentioned Manchester City that I copped what was going on.

Immediately turned off when one of them called Jose Mourinho “Hosay”

You couldn’t make it up.

I know it’s Sunday but Jaysus,Jacquie Hurley has one harsh speaking voice

If I need paint stripped I’ll go for her.

Aaaaaarsenal and Caaaaaardiff...... jaysus.

If I need paint stripped I’ll go for her.

Aaaaaarsenal and Caaaaaardiff...... jaysus.

.... don't forget AAAAAAAAARRRRRTE !

I know it’s Sunday but Jaysus they are getting fierce’ schmaltzy ‘ on the highlights programme .

Mammies driving back from the sevens to make a lads breakfast?.

Can the dude not make it himself FFS.

Quiz on atm. Des Cahill is very rude to Joanne Cantwell. I’ve commented on this before. Wish producers would try to cut this out

Very good panel on today. Sports lady (Lindsay Peet?) has such an impressive sporting record and is excellent at discussing sport. Other guys (Johnny & Mikey) very open too discussing mental issues etc. Think it really helps that Des is on his own - I’m not a fan of his and Joanne’s exchanges.

• Advertisement

Very good panel on today. Sports lady (Lindsay Peet?) has such an impressive sporting record and is excellent at discussing sport. Other guys (Johnny & Mikey) very open too discussing mental issues etc. Think it really helps that Des is on his own - I’m not a fan of his and Joanne’s exchanges.

Not Johnny McDonald!!

Dodged a bullet there, if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

honeybear wrote:

Same conversation every weekend player burnout and mental issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marley and Marley

liam7831 wrote: »
    Same conversation every weekend player burnout and mental issues

Yep and to expand on this, the way the media has gone in the last few years it's as if playing sport is some sort of punishment that is impossible to escape from.

Truth is that if being a top level sportsperson was anywhere close to be as miserable as the media would lead to believe it is then nobody would bother with it.

Being a top level sports person is a choice it's not a necessity like having a job is and any sportsperson who feels it's too much hassle always has the option to walk away from it whenever they want to.

I really really wish the media would cop on and realise that being a high profile sportsperson is great and a really handy way of life it compared to most people and that in reality there is very little real pressure involved.

Top sportspeople are in a great position because it's something they love to do and if you love something and are paid for it than it isn't a job with proper pressure like most people endure.Spending 50 years of your life doing something you don't really like simply to pay the bills is far more pressurized a lifestyle than anything pro sports people face.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

.... don't forget AAAAAAAAARRRRRTE !

She likes the harse racing too.
    Insufferable.

Having AWFUL technical issues this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

honeybear wrote:
    Having AWFUL technical issues this evening

It's been a shambles all day, I doubt Des was able to tuck into the coleslaw all show for all the dropped commentaries.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    It's been a shambles all day, I doubt Des was able to tuck into the coleslaw all show for all the dropped commentaries.

It’s been a shambles all weekend, what is going on?

There must be something behind it as usually they are quite reliable.

Will we ever find out………………………… not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Irish Wolf wrote: »

Just out of interest where did the coleslaw link come about with Dessie

Just out of interest where did the coleslaw link come about with Dessie
    Good question. I reckon it started with Oliver Callan, coleslaw being the standard fare for people who are perceived as being uncouth (whatever that means, anyway) or suspiciously culchie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not sure what station I heard her on doing the sports this last few days (RTE 2FM?) but jez that Siobhan Madigan would give Jacquie a run for her money.

Advertisement