Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday Sport RTE Radio 1

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

honeybear wrote: »
    Very good panel on today. Sports lady (Lindsay Peet?) has such an impressive sporting record and is excellent at discussing sport. Other guys (Johnny & Mikey) very open too discussing mental issues etc. Think it really helps that Des is on his own - I’m not a fan of his and Joanne’s exchanges.

Not Johnny McDonald!!

Dodged a bullet there, if it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

honeybear wrote:
    Very good panel on today. Sports lady (Lindsay Peet?) has such an impressive sporting record and is excellent at discussing sport. Other guys (Johnny & Mikey) very open too discussing mental issues etc. Think it really helps that Des is on his own - I’m not a fan of his and Joanne’s exchanges.

Same conversation every weekend player burnout and mental issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marley and Marley

liam7831 wrote: »
    Same conversation every weekend player burnout and mental issues

Yep and to expand on this, the way the media has gone in the last few years it's as if playing sport is some sort of punishment that is impossible to escape from.

Truth is that if being a top level sportsperson was anywhere close to be as miserable as the media would lead to believe it is then nobody would bother with it.

Being a top level sports person is a choice it's not a necessity like having a job is and any sportsperson who feels it's too much hassle always has the option to walk away from it whenever they want to.

I really really wish the media would cop on and realise that being a high profile sportsperson is great and a really handy way of life it compared to most people and that in reality there is very little real pressure involved.

Top sportspeople are in a great position because it's something they love to do and if you love something and are paid for it than it isn't a job with proper pressure like most people endure.Spending 50 years of your life doing something you don't really like simply to pay the bills is far more pressurized a lifestyle than anything pro sports people face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

.... don't forget AAAAAAAAARRRRRTE !

She likes the harse racing too.
    Insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Having AWFUL technical issues this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

honeybear wrote:
    Having AWFUL technical issues this evening

It's been a shambles all day, I doubt Des was able to tuck into the coleslaw all show for all the dropped commentaries.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    It's been a shambles all day, I doubt Des was able to tuck into the coleslaw all show for all the dropped commentaries.

It’s been a shambles all weekend, what is going on?

There must be something behind it as usually they are quite reliable.

Will we ever find out………………………… not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Irish Wolf wrote: »

Just out of interest where did the coleslaw link come about with Dessie

Just out of interest where did the coleslaw link come about with Dessie
    Good question. I reckon it started with Oliver Callan, coleslaw being the standard fare for people who are perceived as being uncouth (whatever that means, anyway) or suspiciously culchie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know it’s Sunday but Jaysus,Jacquie Hurley has one harsh speaking voice

I'm not sure what station I heard her on doing the sports this last few days (RTE 2FM?) but jez that Siobhan Madigan would give Jacquie a run for her money.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm not sure what station I heard her on doing the sports this last few days (RTE 2FM?) but jez that Siobhan Madigan would give Jacquie a run for her money.

At least Jacqui sounds happy to be delivering the sports news...Siobhan often sounds miserable during bulletins.

I know it’s Sunday but Jaysus.…. Sweet jumping JAysus.

Could RTE Sport not get commentators who can speak properly.

The two clowns they had on today for the Dublin Tyrone game did not drive a Coach and Four through every grammatical rule in the book..THEY DROVE A FCUKING SHERMAN TANK through them.

For Jaysus sake can they not get people who know the difference between ‘done ‘ and ‘ did’.

One clown kept saying ‘ done’ when it should be ‘did’ and ‘did’ when it should be ‘done’

Where do they get these clowns from.

Sorry for the rant.

I know it’s Sunday but Jaysus.…. Sweet jumping JAysus.

Could RTE Sport not get commentators who can speak properly.

The two clowns they had on today for the Dublin Tyrone game did not drive a Coach and Four through every grammatical rule in the book..THEY DROVE A FCUKING SHERMAN TANK through them.

For Jaysus sake can they not get people who know the difference between ‘done ‘ and ‘ did’.

One clown kept saying ‘ done’ when it should be ‘did’ and ‘did’ when it should be ‘done’

Where do they get these clowns from.

Sorry for the rant.

The WHOLE programme was desperate. Guy in studio was useless - asking equestrian lady & tennis guest ridiculous repetitive questions. Then the two commentators on the Dublin match were fixated on Diarmuid Connolly.

honeybear wrote: »
    The WHOLE programme was desperate. Guy in studio was useless - asking equestrian lady & tennis guest ridiculous repetitive questions. Then the two commentators on the Dublin match were fixated on Diarmuid Connolly.

I was more referring to the preview than the commentary

But the angst still remains...can they not get people who have at least a passing knowledge of how to speak properly.

Surely every potential pundit isn’t as poor as the pair they had today.

Ruined the whole event for me anyway, there is just so much you can take .

When a lad starts saying “I’ve did a survey on that” it’s time to pack it in.

Jaysus, Cahill will need a change of jocks, he’s gone so ‘emotional’.

Fair play to Rachael

Must be looking for a gig for the homecoming.

I’d say NK is working on it as we speak......

The back story is the most important to Dezzie......

• Advertisement

Just sayin’

RTE certainly not found wanting in trying to erase the ‘Gordon Elliot’ episode from the annals of bad stuff.

HRI must have been on to Noel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just sayin’

RTE certainly not found wanting in trying to erase the ‘Gordon Elliot’ episode from the annals of bad stuff.

HRI must have been on to Noel.

Careful there, B. You could end up accused of flogging a dead horse.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭deise man

Was listening today. The show is so much better when Des and Joanne present it together. They have a good connection. The show flows alot better when they're on together. Just my opinion anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

deise man wrote: »
    Was listening today. The show is so much better when Des and Joanne present it together. They have a good connection. The show flows alot better when they're on together. Just my opinion anyway!

Yeah they do have a good chemistry together, and they seem to genuinely like each other. John Murray seems like he is just going through the paces after they took the Tubridy slot away from him. You would have thought that he might have been in line for the Sean O'Rourke job, but maybe he wasn't the right sex. He's a likeable guy and he's good at the politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Yeah they do have a good chemistry together, and they seem to genuinely like each other. John Murray seems like he is just going through the paces after they took the Tubridy slot away from him. You would have thought that he might have been in line for the Sean O'Rourke job, but maybe he wasn't the right sex. He's a likeable guy and he's good at the politics.
    Is this John’s only gig of the week these days? He used to fill in a bit on Drivetime but not in a long time now. Handy number one show a week and a bit of prep on a nice cushy package presumably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

amlinopta wrote: »
    Is this John’s only gig of the week these days? He used to fill in a bit on Drivetime but not in a long time now. Handy number one show a week and a bit of prep on a nice cushy package presumably

Not sure how he turned from being a front line presenter to being persona non grata so quickly. He was a solid political presenter to be fair to the guy, he served his time and probably should have got another shot.

I do know that he suffers "with his nerves" so I don't know if that has inhibited him.

I thought that John was terrible when he presented the daily show. I've been listening to The Business on Saturday mornings and I'm finding the presenter and interviews engaging. Is there a thread for The Business on Boards?

That's it exactly. I know some people don't like Joanne but I think she is an excellent presenter. Really makes the show a worthwhile listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The main problem with RTE Radio Sport is that it's 90% focused on GAA. Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to follow radio commentary a good spicy championship match. Particularly when the result on the day matters. But not some relatively meaningless Div3 football game on a muddy day at the arse end of the year. So many other sports they could usefully cover in normal times, all it needs is to have presenters with a wider variety of sporting interest and knowledge.

If there's been a good thing from Covid, it's that they've been forced to think a little more outside the box. Heard a big sigh of relief today that the GAA might be coming back, so they can revert to type.

Also not entirely gone on the obvious policy of female 'experts' giving their views on mens games. Because they have no playing experience in the mens game at top level. I will happily listen to a ladies football or camogie or rubgy match and take on the views of the female experts there as they know these games. But I don't expect to hear John Mullane giving his views on a camogie match because he never played camogie and likely only has a passing interest in the current ladies teams and players. How can he usefully commentate on it? Likewise for the ladies giving their analysis of the mens game, never played and experienced it. Different for sports like racing where the women compete on the same terms as men, though not sure if you can call racing a sport - more an industry driven by another industry which regularly advertises on RTE Sport.

Furze99 wrote: »
    The main problem with RTE Radio Sport is that it's 90% focused on GAA. Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to follow radio commentary a good spicy championship match. Particularly when the result on the day matters. But not some relatively meaningless Div3 football game on a muddy day at the arse end of the year. So many other sports they could usefully cover in normal times, all it needs is to have presenters with a wider variety of sporting interest and knowledge.

If there's been a good thing from Covid, it's that they've been forced to think a little more outside the box. Heard a big sigh of relief today that the GAA might be coming back, so they can revert to type.

Also not entirely gone on the obvious policy of female 'experts' giving their views on mens games. Because they have no playing experience in the mens game at top level. I will happily listen to a ladies football or camogie or rubgy match and take on the views of the female experts there as they know these games. But I don't expect to hear John Mullane giving his views on a camogie match because he never played camogie and likely only has a passing interest in the current ladies teams and players. How can he usefully commentate on it? Likewise for the ladies giving their analysis of the mens game, never played and experienced it. Different for sports like racing where the women compete on the same terms as men, though not sure if you can call racing a sport - more an industry driven by another industry which regularly advertises on RTE Sport.

It's happening more and more, female analysts speaking about men's sports. I think it was Rachel Duggan speaking about Dundalk today? Not too familiar with Rachel I'm afraid. It's happening all the time on soccer and rugby. Seldom if ever hear men on RTE analysing women's sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

I think that this is one programme that works better with 2 presenters. Now that the Saturday show is running till 9pm they are using just one presenter for each half. I think Des and Joanne are a good combination as are Darren and Jackie on Sunday

I think John Murray as the stand in on both shows is a weak presenter. He sounds uninterested and his delivery is very flat and deadpan. He is ok interviewing but when he is just covering results and general topics he seems flustered. It isnt as pronounced when there is another presenter alongside but when on his own is not engaging at all.

Have heard Damian O Mara abd Greg Allen stand in before and they were much more lively and engaged.

I know John Murray has stoid in before on Late Debate and Drivetime and used to host Morning Ireland and remember him as a good current affairs presenter so think he wiuld be better back at that. He could have covered for Katie Hannon on tbe Late Debate this week or be back on Morning Ireland where they often have general reporters such as Aengus Cox and Samantha Libreri presenting.

John busier than usual at the weekend but seems to generally work just one day a week. Has been around the block in RTE at this stage, usually sounds poorly prepared and not particularly interested in sport. But maybe there's nowhere else for him to go at this stage. Joanne likely to be busy with TV commitments at weekends once the GAA Championships start.

Listened to the show on Saturday. The contrast between john and joanne was huge. John sounded bored out of his mind, like he didn't want to be there. Joanne was enthusiastic and sound genuinely interested in all the stories. A real pleasure to listen to. They should really keep herself and Des presenting every Saturday. The GAA season shouldn't impact too much as sky have most Saturday matches.

Advertisement