Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

In game, is your player name the same as your username?
    Just wondering, cos my username is my email on the login screen. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    In game, is your player name the same as your username?
    Just wondering, cos my username is my email on the login screen. :confused:

You can see your actual commander name and change it here:
    https://support.orerve.net/http/commander/profile

You can see your actual commander name and change it here:
    https://support.orerve.net/http/commander/profile

lol I'm commander backer #46923 , how distinguished :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The guy should have bought food on an agricultural world and industrial materials on an industrial world.
    :rolleyes:

The guy should have bought food on an agricultural world and industrial materials on an industrial world.
    :rolleyes:

Is it possible to make decent money in a reasonable amount of time trading, considering there's only a few systems available to players at the moment.

I've just been fooling about so far, losing my ship several times.
    Went to a low intensity conflict zone last night blew up a few ships before I was destroyed, but don't seem to get a bounty or loot for killing them...

Trading
    I spent ages trading and even created my own google docs trading tracker but trading will not make you much money. I think max legal trading will get you with 4 cargo slots is about 1200 on advanced catalysers between A-Prime and Dahan. I've heard suggestions that selling liquor on the black market at i-bootis is meant to be lucrative but I havent tried it. I think trading is not that lucrative because they know that people will implement trading calculators and have the best ships bought in no time. They spoke in an earlier blog about having gold-rush type scenarios where for a limited time medical supplies could be in high demand which will draw a lot of players to one system which I think makes a lot of sense.

Gun for hire
    To make money I've discovered that it's much better to go the Federation Distress signal location in Eranin and join the fight there. You need to use the far-right section of the right hand panel to set your faction though which is something I had missed earlier on (it's not obvious to be fair). Join the federation and get 500 per kill or join the Eranin defense forces and get 400 (Otherwise you don't get paid).

When you get there I'd reccomend trying to figure out what side the other human players are on and join them as humans are the most unpredictable and will sometimes wait until you are vulnerable before attacking for a cheap kill. Now that I've got an Eagle with 3 hard points I just chase the human players away by knocking out their shields and giving them a small bit of hull damage so that they supercruise out of there and into another server instance :) Once proper comms between players is available then I expect you will see much better PvP as you will be able to call on friendly ships to help.

Bounty Hunting and piracy
    The resource extraction sites are more fun but a lot more risky. You can attack Wanted ships but also use your cargo scoop to scoop up cargo that has been dropped by damaged ships. Also, apparently you can target sub-systems (left panel) on the ships that are mining and target their cargo holds to force out their contents without destroying their ships but I havent tried being a pirate yet.

First ship upgrade
    Make about 4-5000 and then buy a second pulse laser for about 2200. At that stage your ship costs 37200 so if you get blown up it will cost 5% of that in insurance to buy it back with 2 lasers (about 1860 credits). Make sure you at least kill 4 enemies and earn 2000 before you get blown up again or you'll be back to the basic ship.

Docking
    Just one other thing about that video, the guy complained about getting knocked around by other ships on the way through the docking gate. It may have been because he is not entering and exiting the gate on the side with the green lights. Again, its not that obvious until someone points it out. Here's a vid of me docking under duress but at least I dock on the green side :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love the look of the game, and look forward to them adding more features. God help my computer when i try to fly through the rings around a planet like in that earlier video.

Is there an outside/3rd person view for the ship at the moment? cos I haven't found the command.

• Advertisement

No and I don't think its planned either, I can't remember why but I think it has to do with them wanting to keep a feeling of immersion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

No and I don't think its planned either, I can't remember why but I think it has to do with them wanting to keep a feeling of immersion.

It's a popular topic on the forums. They may implement it as a "camera drone" or something similar, but you're right that they are reluctant to do this for immersion reasons.

I had a real up and down day on premium beta. I lost about 10k when I was blown up 5 times in a fairly short time so I started exploring the other sites outside of the common ones to reduce my rage :) I found a few "unidentified signal" zones where at most you got 4 NPCs attacking you at once and I got quite good at taking out that many by making good use of my shields early in the battle and then switching energy towards my weapons when there was less chance of being pecked away by my target's buddies. There seemed to be some friendlier players about too that didnt go for the kick in the face when you're down tactic which was nice for a change.

I had a real up and down day on premium beta. I lost about 10k when I was blown up 5 times in a fairly short time so I started exploring the other sites outside of the common ones to reduce my rage :) I found a few "unidentified signal" zones where at most you got 4 NPCs attacking you at once and I got quite good at taking out that many by making good use of my shields early in the battle and then switching energy towards my weapons when there was less chance of being pecked away by my target's buddies. There seemed to be some friendlier players about too that didnt go for the kick in the face when you're down tactic which was nice for a change.

haven't played that much but I have been at the low intensity combat site in eranin a few times and haven't encountered any other players while there. The only time I seem to see real players on the radar/overview is around and in stations.

Man, the amount of times I've been taken out by other players with no provocation is unbelievable. I was starting to get paranoid to be honest. The worst happened when I was helping a guy out today as he was clearly running away from several NPCs when I entered the area. Of course he waited until I had taken damage and then swooped in for an easy kill. I tried to make a run for it but he finished me off. Like I said, the sort of character that kicks the guy on the ground after someone else has done the hard work.

It is a beta and they are working on changing the punishment and consequences for murdering other players. The key point is that every player is part of the Pilots Federation so murder gets reported automatically and griefing reports might well be crowd-sourced. War zones and wanted targets are a different story though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I fall above the minimum spec so ill definitely keep a tab on this game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

400 billion star systems... Obviously some must be copies of others or are procedurally generated or something. The developers could hide all sorts of easter eggs and stuff in them.

Is this supposed to be a single persistent world that all players occupy?

Sounds like it.

It's a very interesting take on classic space sim but I'm still more interested in No Man's Sky. In the end flying through space is just going from A to B to C, docking somewhere, repairing, buying and selling, taking a bounty, and other stuff thats been tried and done. Compared to flying down seamlessly to a planet surface and finding a cave that has the resource you need, mining it yourself and crafting the items you require just holds more interest to me.

Yeah it sounds good alright, I hope they can pull it off especially with the Irish connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

My big problem right now is the concept of paying €120 to join the beta....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

CruelCoin wrote: »
    My big problem right now is the concept of paying €120 to join the beta....

Same here. Big bucks for a beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's €120 to get access to the beta, get the game and all extra content they come up with. So it's not a complete rip-off.

I think the majority of people who signed up for Premium beta and Alpha are people who had a history with the original game. It is a bigger risk if you have never played any of the Elite series but as humanji says it does get you all the DLC too. I reckon the standard beta will be out in 2-4 months for €60 but an official date has not been announced other than them saying that the release version will be out by the end of this year.

Another good reason to get ED is if you intend to get the Oculus Rift DK2 as they have already added full support for DK2 and it is meant to be amazing.

Is there much to the game so far or is it much like Star Citizen very a very limited play area?

Glebee wrote: »
    Is there much to the game so far or is it much like Star Citizen very a very limited play area?
    400 billion star systems. Most of the players will stay within several hundred star systems and mainly NPC events will occur outside of that. You hyperspace between star systems and exit out of hyperspace near the main star of each system (ie the star which has the nearest habitation). When you exit near the star you can then travel to any planets, space (trading, upgrades) or other points of interest such as conflict zones (gun for hire combat with and against players and NPCs), distress calls (same), unidentified signals (NPC events) and resource extraction sites (mining, piracy, bounty hunting).

You travel within a system using Supercruise which allows you to travel up to speeds which are many times the speed of light and sort of takes you out of the multiplayer element while you are supercruising. You can be interdicted by pirates or the local police while in supercruise so that pulls you out of it and then you have to either defeat the pirates and collect the bounty, run away from the pirates back into supercruise (made more difficult as the proximity to nearby ships means it takes longer to power up supercruise), submit to scans from the cops or run away/fight the cops if you are wanted or have illegal/stolen cargo.

Landing on planets and walking around your ship is planned for later DLCs.
    TLDR: The playable area far exceeds SC as far as I know but I'm waiting for a bit more development before buying SC myself so I can't say for sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You won't be able to buy Premium beta after mid July so there is a chance that they might announce the standard beta start date then. I think they have a bit of a way to go yet so i don't expect it to start for a few months yet.

Manach wrote: »

that article intrigued me in the beginning but lost me at multiple references to the words grind and grinding. thus killing my interest.

Elite: Dangerous Premium Beta 2 is now available.

This update adds three new star systems, a new ship type (the Hauler) and the new Orbis starport.

Is there any sort of exploration in the game, or is it all just trading and fighting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »
    Is there any sort of exploration in the game, or is it all just trading and fighting?
    AtomicHorror linked to this thread on the official forums that details Exploration as a career: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

humanji wrote: »
    AtomicHorror linked to this thread on the official forums that details Exploration as a career: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6418

The answer is right now: no. But on release, very much yes. It's planned as a major career path and designed to be a credible alternative to trading, bounty hunting etc.

The Thargoids are probably going to turn up at some point to, so I guess humanity will be encouraged to put on a united war front. Or betray for unheard of wealth and notoriety. I can't wait for this game.

I'm sure most of you are aware but the Standard beta starts on the 29th of July:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=1824c0b05a

€60 for the beta with no DLC season pass. Full game is meant to be out by the end of the year priced at €40

Somebody talk me out of signing up, really tempted....

Reasons not to buy it:

It's a beta
    Might not be optimised too well
    netcode might have a fit when lots of new people join
    It's likely that they will wipe your stats at the end of the beta so it might not be worth putting a lot of time into it yet
    people with joysticks have a slight advantage over keyboard and mouse

Reason to buy it:
    It feels quite immersive
    if you played the originals you will love it
    There is plenty to do in the premium beta but standard beta is meant to be a huge update over that.
    They fixed a tonne of bugs between premium beta 1 and 2 and it's running much better now.
    The audio is fantastic
    If you have ordered an oculus rift or can get your hands on one then it's meant to be the best game for it at the moment

Caved in, see you on the frontier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

me too

Its guite good alright. First station landing was all over the place. Anybody on tips on easy starting trade routes,,

I'll wait for launch. I'm sick of paying for beta's these days, even if it does look amazing. I just hope they do manage to get more features implemented at launch.

• Advertisement

Single player combat scenarios now available for standard beta backers:
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25169

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Waiting for launch on this.....and on the DK2.

Should be unreal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Debating between getting this... or Star Citizen - hmmzzz....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dusty Philosopher

Would this be good enough to run elite in high settings.

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB might upgraded to 7950 3gb card.
    8gb of ram

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Debating between getting this... or Star Citizen - hmmzzz....

Star Citizen, if they pull off what they say, will probably have more to do. That's a very big if though.

Elite will be out much sooner, and seems to be further along in development than Star Citizen.

Either one would probably be worth it.

Buy Elite Dangerous now and wait about 6 months for Star Citizen to get developed a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone ideas on when standard release is?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Would this be good enough to run elite in high settings.

AMD FX-4130 3.8GHz Quad-Core
    PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB might upgraded to 7950 3gb card.
    8gb of ram

off the elite page:
    Development of the game is ongoing, and so recommended specifications are currently only available for the Beta builds.
    Minimum recommended hardware specification:
    Direct X 11
    Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
    2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
    DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video ram
    Internet connection
    Supported Operating Systems:
    Windows 7.x
    Windows 8.x
    For the final game the minimum hardware specifications may be lower as further code optimisations are completed.

You should be fine mate.

Buy Elite Dangerous now and wait about 6 months for Star Citizen to get developed a bit more

I think it'll be a bit longer than that....I've been keeping an eye on it, and I think the final version of Elite will be much better optimized, and will include landing on planets, walking around ships, etc etc. Braben seems to be more interested in getting the core game right and working 'properly' before adding all those extra bits, whereas SC is trying to do everything at once, and falling waaaay behind, even though they have 20 times the budget. With the budget they (SC) have, they should be way further ahead by now. That's just the impression I'm getting.....

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Anyone ideas on when standard release is?

Standard reply is Q4 2014. Probably a late Nov early Dec release. (hopefully:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I've played Elite Dangerous and kindof love it.
    It feels like the original Elite - very much - with 2014 graphics which are beautiful.
    You really feel like you're flying around the galaxy, and by all accounts, it's one of the best demo's of the Oculus Rift available right now.
    So +1 for Elite.

Keep in mind too that David Braben wrote the first ever game of this kind - and has been probably thinking about how to make it better since 1984. There is a huge fan base who are helping make the game better too... evident based upon their Kickstarter success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement