Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

whiterebel wrote: »
    All couriers/An Post have their own drawbacks.

Thanks, that's a little frustrating that the valuation would be so unpredictable. I'm inclined to just go with insured post, but is there any shipping service in particular that you would recommend for someone in my situation? Speed is not important once it arrives safely and in a straightforward fashion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That is where it all gets tricky. Put a value on it for insurance, and that can become the value for customs purposes. I always suggest getting the sender to put paperwork in the box and on the outside in a clear shipping envelope. Mark it as a gift, but show the same value as you declare for insurance. Freight cost is going to be much lower via post. You can get the sender to show a value + Postage Cost including insurance on their paperwork. That SHOULD be the value that they use for VAT when it arrives in Dublin.

It is very hard to gauge a second hand price. Google/eBay it yourself and see the differences in price. Then take into account yours which would be as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

Apologies in advance, this is a basic question that has surely been answered in some other thread here, but I searched and can't see it...

I've seen an item on sale in the UK - it's being sold for about a tenner, but with £15 added for postage (ordinary Royal Mail). So going by total value (£25), it would be liable to VAT & handling charges on import. The item fits in an envelope so I don't believe the postage really costs £15 - it's probably just because posting it outside the UK is extra hassle for the seller. But I assume if I'm paying £25 in total, that's how VAT and charges will be levied.

Would the same logic work in reverse? If I "win" an eBay UK auction and pay a fraction of what the Irish price of the item is, will VAT be levied on what I pay, or on the sale price of similar items in shops in Ireland? Would the Customs people look at the invoice and think "fair enough"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If customs believe the valuation is incorrect they may ask for Paypal payment receipt etc. An Post may google the product for a value.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

If customs believe the valuation is incorrect they may ask for Paypal payment receipt etc. An Post may google the product for a value.

Thanks - so if the declared value matches the receipt it's fine? At least it's consistent so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So basically if I order 1 Blu-ray at 24€ the vat gets deducted correctly and I’m only charged 19.80€ ,if I order the 2 blurays in the promo (2 for 24€) the charges are calculated on the full 48€ price of both items meaning instead of no vat I’m paying 8€ import charges, any idea what could be going on here should the vat not be charged on the promo price of 24€?

Customs don’t work on discounted value. 1st post on this thread has most of the import conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I needed something so went onto Aliexpress.

Gave me a number of countries the ship from, said I could even import it from the USA! Only country I couldn't ship from was Russia (product was like 66% cheaper for Russia).

Surprisingly, I was able to select Spain, China or Czech Republic and maybe another 1 or 2 countries aswell. Usually it would only allow shipping from China. Now, with the EU location it did add another 2$ as a delivery fee (ship from China was free), but it also said delivery is guaranteed in a month or a refund can be given. So that's an improvement in delivery. Even with the delivery cost it still ends up over 50% cheaper than buying on ebay or amazon.

I could have selected China also and I guess it would have been fine anyways as the value of the item was only 4 or 5$ in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

Do An Post not actually charge VAT/import duty very often? I bought something from the UK for £26 and it was delivered as normal with no extra charges. I've also bought 3 or 4 things from the US over the past year (anywhere from €40 to €150) and have never had to pay VAT. I've only ever paid VAT on AddressPal items from the US. Have I just been lucky?

Also I thought VAT was payable on the cost of the items plus shipping? The declared value for customs on the last two packages I received from the UK didn't include shipping.

One way I have found to make sure things are done correctly in future is to highlight mistakes on very public message boards which can be read by these organisations.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

VG31 wrote: »
    Do An Post not actually charge VAT/import duty very often? I bought something from the UK for £26 and it was delivered as normal with no extra charges. I've also bought 3 or 4 things from the US over the past year (anywhere from €40 to €150) and have never had to pay VAT. I've only ever paid VAT on AddressPal items from the US. Have I just been lucky?

UK
    Depends on how they're shipped. Most items sent by regular airmail will get through. If a courier like UPS or Fedex is used, then you'll be caught.

US
    Traditionally the most likely time to get hit was November / December. Other than that, it's random and again, most regular USPS items are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

One way I have found to make sure things are done correctly in future is to highlight mistakes on very public message boards which can be read by these organisations.........

Not really sure what your point is. I'm sure An Post/Revenue are well aware of how many packages get through without someone on the internet pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Wonder what ALIEXPRESS will do going forward ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Update. I'm now receiving packages that are labelled as normal from China, but they have been placed inside new packaging from the EU, anyone else get this ? So like a package within a package, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

No, just a new address label stuck over the original one. Been like that for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I read the first post, but just want to clarify before I decide whether to proceed or not: If I order £300+ worth of clothes, sent from inside the UK to Ireland, I can expect to pay hefty customs and charges on it, yes?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

But not if they are kids clothes iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Hi guys, I know this probably comes up quite a lot, but I just can’t find the answer. I’ve just received a message from An Post saying I need to pay customs charges on an item I bought from eBay. The item is a used child’s coat, they have charged me customs based on the value of the jacket new (about €50) but as the item is used, it is obviously worth a lot less, I only paid €12.50 for it. I have screenshot from eBay stating that the item is used and the price I paid. Is there any way to contest the charges? They’re costing me more than the item did!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Navy blue wrote: »
    Hi guys, I know this probably comes up quite a lot, but I just can’t find the answer. I’ve just received a message from An Post saying I need to pay customs charges on an item I bought from eBay. The item is a used child’s coat, they have charged me customs based on the value of the jacket new (about €50) but as the item is used, it is obviously worth a lot less, I only paid €12.50 for it. I have screenshot from eBay stating that the item is used and the price I paid. Is there any way to contest the charges? They’re costing me more than the item did!

how old is the child? vat on childrens clothing for under 11s is zero rated.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick reply, the coat is age 8. So there should be no VAT regardless of value?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks for the quick reply, the coat is age 8. So there should be no VAT regardless of value?

correct. reply to An Post and tell them that it is childrens clothes and therefore should be zero rated for vat purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Good catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

In this case, it is moot, but you should only pay VAT on the bid price plus postage.

sbkenn wrote: »
    In this case, it is moot, but you should only pay VAT on the bid price plus postage.

Thanks, that’s good to know. It would make buying off eBay very expensive if they were using the value of the item when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

I just received a package of facemasks sent from my brother in Hong Kong, but DHL were looking for 40 euro, so didn't accept the package wanted to find out first. Thoughts? Or just forget about it.

Face masks are meant to be 0% VAT; It even says facemasks on the box..

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/1fa3c5-zero-rate-of-vat-on-domestic-supply-of-ppe-will-contribute-to-nation/

"On that basis, the Minister has requested that Revenue considers applying the zero rate to personal protection equipment, ventilators and oxygen as necessary to combat COVID-19 when supplied to hospitals, nursing homes, GP practices and the like, for use in the delivery of COVID-19 related health care services to their patients." Not free for personal use, by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

"On that basis, the Minister has requested that Revenue considers applying the zero rate to personal protection equipment, ventilators and oxygen as necessary to combat COVID-19 when supplied to hospitals, nursing homes, GP practices and the like, for use in the delivery of COVID-19 related health care services to their patients." Not free for personal use, by the looks of it.

Shame, right you are, it was only a small box of disposable masks, no declared price on the box is the issue I imagine but only a few dollars worth of masks, shipping was the only cost. Will have to leave it off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

Thanks, that’s good to know. It would make buying off eBay very expensive if they were using the value of the item when new.
    Also, ask the supplier if they can deduct VAT (only applies to new stuff).

• Advertisement

Looking to buy a battery on a site called hardkernel (Korea). The item total comes to €21.78. I'll be alright yeah? Because they use Fedex and I've read they charge no matter what.

Advertisement