Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hughs Bridge Improvements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm still wondering how this will finally look. Are the new foot paths going to be joined on to the exsisting structure, or are they going to be a totally seperate structure?

I'm guessing it will be something similar to the pedestrian walkway in Bachelor's Walk, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Lane closures are starting soon as per todays champion. As long as they are not before of after 8am/pm.

Even at 7.30 this morning the relief road was quite busy. Will definitely be going for an alternative route otherwise.
    I'm guessing it will be something similar to the pedestrian walkway in Bachelor's Walk, Dublin.

Trying to picture it. Was that the new walkway attached to the river wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Lane closures are starting soon as per todays champion. As long as they are not before of after 8am/pm.
    it was open today-i was thinking next mon/tue.

loki7777 wrote: »
    it was open today-i was thinking next mon/tue.

Restrictions in and out of Ballast Quay start Monday evening.

North Bound side seems to be progressing well. Huge piece of steel housing piping and cabling sitting on the pavement this morning, then seen three low bed trucks parked on the DC in the last hour, all with huge prefab pieces of concrete, that apeared to be some sort of bridge. Not sure if they were for Hughs Bridge, or else where though.

Traffic has seemed to be no worse that usual either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I always thought it was Hughes Bridge

It is.

http://www.sligotown.net/hughes-bridge.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I still can't picture the benefits of this, aren't they just moving the bottleneck a few hundred metres down the road?

rizzodun wrote: »
    I still can't picture the benefits of this, aren't they just moving the bottleneck a few hundred metres down the road?

I thought this too, but was trying to work it out recently when driving alomg there.

I can see the point now for South Bound traffic. Where once you had two lanes, one for straight on and left, and the other right on to Ballast Quay, now you will have 3, with at least two for straight on and left/right, and the other just left/right depending on the set up.

North bound I imagine it will be two lanes straight on, with the right lane for Markivice Road, rather than the current two lanes, and then a filter as you come off the bridge.

Although those in charge of traffic planning may have totally different ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

They should remove half the traffic lights and sort out the timing of them....

Or at least replace a few of them with mini roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

I thought this too, but was trying to work it out recently when driving alomg there.

I can see the point now for South Bound traffic. Where once you had two lanes, one for straight on and left, and the other right on to Ballast Quay, now you will have 3, with at least two for straight on and left/right, and the other just left/right depending on the set up.

North bound I imagine it will be two lanes straight on, with the right lane for Markivice Road, rather than the current two lanes, and then a filter as you come off the bridge.

Although those in charge of traffic planning may have totally different ideas.

According to council plans on their website, north bound will be as it always was with the new lane closed off until they get money to extend it further beyond the junction with Markievicz road. (The road/lane to knowwhere)

• Advertisement

According to council plans on their website, north bound will be as it always was with the new lane closed off until they get money to extend it further beyond the junction with Markievicz road. (The road/lane to knowwhere)

What a waste of time that is, ffs this town really can't just sort itself out.

Could be a fun drive to/from work on Tuesday. According to road signs today, the bridge is closed on tuesday, 8-7 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

Yea seen that alright...traffics gonna be bananas on castle street and oconnell street..

yea i was wondering also about the turn for rosses point...isnt that gonna be a bottle neck northbound

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Just drove by the sign there it's 8pm to 7am. So not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

Ahhh i thought it was 8 to 7 in the evening...shouldnt be any hassle so

Website not updated for next week yet, so not very clear. Hopefully it is overnight work, as the northbound approach is already getting busy as it is around 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Hopefully it is overnight work, as the northbound approach is already getting busy as it is around 8am.
    It is definitely overnight work, they've already done this at least twice, at the same times.

thebuzz wrote: »
    It is definitely overnight work, they've already done this at least twice, at the same times.

Drove by this morning and again about an hour ago. Your right, 8pm Tuesday till 7am Wednesday.

Resurfacing now happening on the two new lanes, although the new North Bound lane just seems to end as the bridge ends, hopefully there is little truth in this lane not being used untill the road is done till the Rosses Point junction other wise it's gonna be a total waste. Hopefully they will just reconfigure the road markings till then, as the CoCo do appear good at laying down the stuff.

Just there a wee while ago. South bound traffic backed past Supermacs.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

"Disruption to Traffic" doesn't even scratch the surface of town today. "Gridlocked" would be a better word! Hope everyone stuck in it managed to get out with their sanity intact!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

It's going to be like that all week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why this work can't be done at night is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Why this work can't be done at night is beyond me.
    Oh, you're some sort of expert on road surfacing?

It was supposed to start in October, and last 9 months, that get's us to July, so I'd guess they may be behind, also, the Fleadh is here in a few weeks and they really need to have put it to bed by then, not sure if it has anything with needing to do the surfacing during the day, but I'm no expert on that either, before Gipo3 points it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Oh, you're some sort of expert on road surfacing?
    No, but you obviously are.

Please enlighten me.

According to the Coco website, engineering reasons is why work cannot be done at night, does not elaborate any more than that.

Will be good to see the final result, now to see if the promised work will ever start on OConnell start, and the delays that will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

According to the Coco website, engineering reasons is why work cannot be done at night, does not elaborate any more than that.

Will be good to see the final result, now to see if the promised work will ever start on OConnell start, and the delays that will bring.

The reason is, the engineers don't want to work at night. The practical only difference is its dark at night and generally night work is not allowed in residential areas when the work is noisy, most motorway maintenance though is done at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I think they are opening the two lanes again as a result of the disaster in town today.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Not that many years ago resurfacing was done at the roses point junction at night.there is no issue and especially in these long evenings would help rather than hinder.
    I'm sure the fact that the council hasn't a spare cent and the staff cannot be paid for overtime is the real reason.
    But it's poor planning on both the contractor and council that the 12th of July week and one of the busiest holiday periods of the year a major resurfacing job more or less closes down Sligo town.

Local business have to be feeling the knock on too,would you stop in Sligo with all this gridlock.dont think do I'd keep as far as possible

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    I think they are opening the two lanes again as a result of the disaster in town today.

This evening it was a lane in each direction on the north bound side if thats any relation.

Advertisement