Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Serious wind a howling. Not expecting it this bad in Leitrim.
    A night for candles. A roaring fire. A glass or two of Whiskey and a scary book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very wild in cork city, heavy rain just started again and looking out the window can see the wind blowing very strongly. Since the wind is from the south east house isn't getting hit as bad as it would from the south west, but crickey still some gusts causinf the house to creak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Seriously wild here in cork city. Feels like my house is shaking :eek:

A feeling we know well out here! Maybe folk in towns etc who comment re "drama" do not have any idea what like it is in rural areas etc when we describe very simply what is literally happening in storms.

No street lights or cars etc; no house lights within sight. No moon so literally pitch black space outside the patch of light shed by the opening door. Blind darkness. Just the howling wind... and lashing rain cold on warm skin.

Not " drama", in the pejorative sense, simply the reality we choose to live in... . What life in deep rural and on coasts and islands offers us to live among as part of the environment - and love it while respecting the sheer power of the wild wind

Now to try to get the cat in... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Is it to calm down anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Edinburgh Aer Lingus regional flight aborted landing into Cork. Looks like they will give it another go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Picking up in North Kerry. Was meant to be going over the road but decided it wasn't worth meeting a falling tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Acosta wrote: »
    Edinburgh Aer Lingus regional flight aborted landing into Cork. Looks like they will give it another go.

God love those poor passengers!

The wind is having a right ol party here in Macroom its wild! You can hear it whistling between the houses. Not used to this wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Right now it is absolutely howling, and vibrating the house

aisling86 wrote: »

The wind is having a right ol party here in Macroom its wild! You can hear it whistling between the houses. Not used to this wind direction.

Just heard it fly overhead, in wilton/togher area so close enough to the airport. Winds are strong enough so on that exposed hill? God love them indeed! :p

Edit: Just saw it too. God its shaking. Props working hard on it

Edit: And its landed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems to have calmed down a bit now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Acosta wrote: »

Free whisky for passengers and crew if they do land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Mav11 wrote: »
    Storm Elsa according to Joanna Donnelly just now.

Storm Elsa is the main parent depression further out in the N.Atlantic, this is just a smaller depression spawned from Elsa that's giving us a windy evening/night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

aisling86 wrote: »

Managed to land on the second attempt. Ya, those planes are awful when there's strong winds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Breezy in Galway but nothing drastic.
    Just glad the rain stopped.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Seems to have calmed down a bit now

Just as you say that, my house gets hit with some strong gusts in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Graces7 wrote: »
    A feeling we know well out here! Maybe folk in towns etc who comment re "drama" do not have any idea what like it is in rural areas etc when we describe very simply what is literally happening in storms.

No street lights or cars etc; no house lights within sight. No moon so literally pitch black space outside the patch of light shed by the opening door. Blind darkness. Just the howling wind... and lashing rain cold on warm skin.

Not " drama", in the pejorative sense, simply the reality we choose to live in... . What life in deep rural and on coasts and islands offers us to live among as part of the environment - and love it while respecting the sheer power of the wild wind

What I'd give to be back home in the countryside on a night like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

7pm

Roaches Point gusting 59 knots(109 km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Some serious gusts here in East Clare strongest winds all winter I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭thomil

Subjectively speaking, it's stronger than Atiyah here in Ballincollig, and the bus ride home about an hour ago was pretty wild. Things seem to have calmed down a bit for now, but the strong winds seem to be coming in waves here, and when they do, the entire apartment block shakes.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Happily, the good days always make up for the bad ones! The past two days though cold, were stunningly beautiful.

That said, this is the fifth day this month when it's been far too horrible outside to contemplate walking down to the gate to check my postbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is stronger than Atiyah.

Current high gust at my location in Kilkenny is 85.3km/hr.

171170 wrote: »
    Happily, the good days always make up for the bad ones! The past two days though cold, were stunningly beautiful.

That said, this is the fifth day this month when it's been far too horrible outside to contemplate walking down to the gate to check my postbox.

There comes out here a kind of adapting. Just accepting the variations and living in them Not bad or good; just IS. Easier when like me you do not have to be anywhere anytime of course; the luxury of old age ;) It becomes a way of life. Not expressing that very well. The cold lacerates though. It is the worst aspect for me.
    each to his /her own. Good to one is bad to another .. .which is as well..

Nothing too bad out here yet... we shall see. Nothing has ever ever come near Callum out here .

thomil wrote: »
    Subjectively speaking, it's stronger than Atiyah here in Ballincollig, and the bus ride home about an hour ago was pretty wild. Things seem to have calmed down a bit for now, but the strong winds seem to be coming in waves here, and when they do, the entire apartment block shakes.

When I lived in the UK near a high rise tower block it literally moved in high winds.. Which is why all the houses out here are ground floor only.. Has calmed here too

86.9km/hr now, Atiyah only gusted to 73km/hr.

edit 88.5km/hr now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

There comes out here a kind of adapting. Just accepting the variations and living in them Not bad or good; just IS. Easier when like me you do not have to be anywhere anytime of course; the luxury of old age ;) It becomes a way of life. Not expressing that very well. The cold lacerates though. It is the worst aspect for me.
    each to his /her own. Good to one is bad to another .. .which is as well..

That's far too zen for me; I want to live, rather than simply exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

171170 wrote: »
    That's far too zen for me; I want to live, rather than simply exist!

Do not poke the bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

RobertKK wrote: »
    86.9km/hr now, Atiyah only gusted to 73km/hr.

edit 88.5km/hr now

Yes definitely feeling it more here in KK.
    It's been such a wet and windy day.

93.3km/hr so it is one of the stronger storms for my location.

Just heard a loud bang outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Pretty nasty in Carlow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Top gust of 58mph in South Laois, in a valley. (Standard 10m height) (93.3kmph)

EDIT: Snap!
    RobertKK wrote: »
    93.3km/hr so it is one of the stronger storms for my location.

Just heard a loud bang outside...

Advertisement