Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Listening to BBC radio 5 live weather there, he said risk of very strong winds tonight and that they are keeping an eye on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yes the ECM has eased off the wind by quite a bit, other models have eased the strongest gusts more to coastal areas but are still showing stronger than the ECM in general.

A cross between the ECM and ARPEGE perhaps.

9EBKqQL.png

V0KsWXT.png

iYPiPE7.png

aZxzVji.png

ARPEGE probably a good average .

anim_rqn3.gif

arpegeuk-52-28-0_slg3.png

iconeu_uk1-52-25-0_mjx3.png

euro4_uk1-52-29-0_gjq9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I know you weather enthusiasts don’t like being asked specific questions, but here goes anyway. What are the chances of the Stenna ferry leaving Holyhead @ 2.30 am tomorrow morning being disrupted? Thanks

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    Who is Midland weather channel here?
    Are we really looking at 140/km+ in cork?

Weather safety alerts has similar red warning potential. One way of getting people to visit your Facebook page I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Wind picking up here Dun Laoghaire , SW gust of 48.5 knots in the past few minutes!

www.dlhweather.com/6hr-wind-graph/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I know you weather enthusiasts don’t like being asked specific questions, but here goes anyway. What are the chances of the Stenna ferry leaving Holyhead @ 2.30 am tomorrow morning being disrupted? Thanks

Hard one to call. I'm not a weather expert by any stretch of the imagination; but I've been (obsessively) looking at ferry sailing versus weather charts for the last 2 weeks to allow me make a sailing - in my humble opinion it won't sail due to sea conditions... but do just keep an eye on this site : https://www.stenaline.ie/ferries-to-britain/latest-sailing-updates/dublin-port-holyhead/holyhead-dublin-port

Met give updates here

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/coastal.asp

I was sailing on the Stena Europe and it was cancelled numerous times this weekend past due to Rough / Very Rough conditions; you're looking to travel on the Stena Adventurer which is a larger ship so not too sure of its restrictions. Wave height may be ~3.5 meters or greater at the time of your sailing.

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

again not an expert here; just posting a very amateur opinion! Best of luck and hope your travel plans work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain here in cork city, miserable.

Airport TAF is expecting max gusts of 55kts from 6-10. They are from the southeast however which is an unusual direction so not sure how they will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Lashing rain here in cork city, miserable.

Airport TAF is expecting max gusts of 55kts from 6-10. They are from the southeast however which is an unusual direction so not sure how they will be.

It's quite gusty here at airport for sure... this was posted ~ 30 mins ago; it'll get worse later:

METAR
    31m ago:
    Wind 150° 24kt, gusting 34kt. Visibility 8000m. Rain. Clouds broken 300ft. Temperature 9°C, dew point 9°C. QNH 990hPa. No significant change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Wet and wild in Arklow
    Gusting to almost 60kmh southeast at the moment
    Vile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭pauldry

Southeast winds always seem more stormy than they are is there any reason for this.

Gusty and wet in Sligo with a few rattles even though gusta are only 35 or 40 knots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus this country - sub arctic sun one day and then chilly monsoon the next!

Rain arrived here at just about 7.30 and it's now tipping down and gusty. I have to do some outdoor work this afternoon so I'm really hoping this at least eases off by say 3 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭John.Icy

SE'rly element might make things a little more spicy in Eastern coastal areas (i.e. Dublin). We've really missed out on some of the windier episodes lately - don't think the airport has hit a yellow warning gust in several storms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ICON 06Z now showing stronger winds in Kerry and Clare for this evening and not as strong in the W as earlier shown. Has a different shape to it today bringing strong winds inland from Kerry / Clare in a N/ E direction.

Changing right at the last minute, ARPEGE rolling out, will see if it looks similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

pauldry wrote: »
    Southeast winds always seem more stormy than they are is there any reason for this.

Gusty and wet in Sligo with a few rattles even though gusta are only 35 or 40 knots

Traditinally houses in exposed areas would have been built with their gable end to the prevailing wind. Similarly vegatation would be sculpted by the prevailing wind. A south east wind would be broadside to both and might seem stronger as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Warning updated with times extended but remains Yellow:
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Update:
    Southeast winds, later veering southerly will gust 90-110km/h today. Winds will peak this evening and tonight. Stronger winds are possible in west and southwest coastal areas.

Valid: 12:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 03:00 Thursday 19/12/2019

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 17/12/2019

Updated: 10:43 Wednesday 18/12/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Traditinally houses in exposed areas would have been built with their gable end to the prevailing wind. Similarly vegatation would be sculpted by the prevailing wind. A south east wind would be broadside to both and might seem stronger as a result.

Interesting, Rural houses in Ireland tend to be front facing south, back to the north. The coldest house I ever rented bucked this trend. A modern build to face the road and impossible to heat ( up in the mountains) Its old ruined neighbour was in the north /south tradition,

Out here on the north coast shore, they built the ruined cottage next to me, 150 years old, gable ends north and south. Square on to the Atlantic gales And my demountable dwelling the same way.

The nearest house, a few hundred years away around the same era, , is the front to the south and back to the north tradition

As for trees.... all gone. A few stalwart fuschias un perturbed by wind direction.

One day I shall have a look at the other houses out here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

This storm seems to be hard to pin down, it does look like some fairly strong winds (100Km/h+) for a while tonight as the low sweeps north. Those strong winds are showing further east on 6z GFS vs the 6z Icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,074 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork 11am TAF giving gusts of up to 55 knots between 7pm - 10pm . Strong enough considering the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Shannon airport TAF only 45 knots, seems to be missing the worst of the winds offshore and further inland east of Limerick.

If this is what gusts from the south east at about 35/40kts is like, then 55 will sound bad! Lashing rain here with h that's sounding a lot stronger then they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Probably the stormiest day we have had in Waterford this year. Regular gusts near 70km/h and driving rain. Seas in Tramore are extremely rough. And the worst is yet to come. The South East always a potent wind in these parts.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WaterfordMeteo/live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Probably the stormiest day we have had in Waterford this year. Regular gusts near 70km/h and driving rain. Seas in Tramore are extremely rough. And the worst is yet to come. The South East always a potent wind in these parts.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WaterfordMeteo/live

Another TRAMORE Cam
    http://78tramore.home.dyndns.org/view/index.shtml

Heavy rain in south dublin but little wind yet. I need to go to the supermarket. Debating to go soon or risk it til later. Wind and rain and me standing at a luas stop is not a pleasant thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Regional Forecast - Connacht

Tonight

This evening and early tonight will continue wet and very windy with stormy conditions developing in Galway and Mayo, especially in the west with severe or damaging gusts as south to southwest winds gust to speeds of 110 to 130 km/hr. Later in the night, the rain will clear and winds will ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1207277171951230976

Roches pt Cork, 96kmph Gusts at the mo ..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy rain in south dublin but little wind yet. I need to go to the supermarket. Debating to go soon or risk it til later. Wind and rain and me standing at a luas stop is not a pleasant thought though.

Looks set to worsen so maybe bite the bullet and get it over with; else it will be on your mind the whole day.

Just checking here to see if it is going to be OK for ferries tomorrow so MY groceries will come over!

Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely rotten day here in Meath, very windy and wet

up to 13.6mm of rain so far in cork city since around 6am (plus more, been v heavy the last hour, met E site not showing yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Looks like this will be worse than a lot of named storms and therefore overlooked in terms of potential

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,074 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Steady fall in pressure all day . Knock for example going fom 997hpa at 0600 to 985hpa 1400

Advertisement