Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds / Heavy Rain Tues 27 and Storm Diana Weds 28 Nov. 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

highdef wrote: »
    Just back from morning walk with the dog in North Kildare, due west of Dublin. Strong breeze but nothing out of the ordinary and dry with a few spits of rain. Despite being so close to Dublin and bring upwind of it, it's quite a contrast between the two locations.

Interesting that. I came into the city from bray and there were spells where i had to just push umbrella towards the wind. Driving wind and rain. Huge contrast

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 51kts in DunLaoghaire. http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

....with 6.0m sea/waves in Dublin Bay!

Dublin Bay Buoy. Water Temp:10.2 °C, Wave Height:6m, Wind Dir:133 °(SE), Gust Dir:155 °(SE), Avg Wind:25kts, Gust:44kts at 27/11/2018 07:05:00

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

For Dublin region readers, the main band of blustery rain and wind is still off to the southwest and won't arrive for an hour or two, there was an earlier burst of shower activity out ahead of that which was commented upon, but the main event is yet to appear there. It is going full blast around Galway to Limerick to just west of Waterford now, almost done in Cork. Conditions should improve fairly soon after the rain lets up but there will be several hours of this at any given location. I would expect the worst of it in Dublin between 0800 and 1100h. (edit in -- seems to be hopping forward in a few bands, let's say the worst of it will come in a few hours or it will be more widespread in the capital region later -- fast breaking developments anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

For Dublin region readers, the main band of blustery rain and wind is still off to the southwest and won't arrive for an hour or two, there was an earlier burst of shower activity out ahead of that which was commented upon, but the main event is yet to appear there. It is going full blast around Galway to Limerick to just west of Waterford now, almost done in Cork. Conditions should improve fairly soon after the rain lets up but there will be several hours of this at any given location. I would expect the worst of it in Dublin between 0830 and 1100h.

Best get up and on the bike now then to miss the worst of it. Cheers for the heads up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Ah I am leaving Dublin to go to Naas I will miss all the fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just woke up in cork city. Very wet alright with some strong gusts.

Looks quite severe around Limerick and south Clare, would appreciate any recent obs also from south Tipperary or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Looks quite severe around Limerick and south Clare, would appreciate any recent obs also from south Tipperary or Waterford.

In South Tipp. Very strong winds and heavy rainfall at the moment. Rain woke me at 5ish. Gusts are fairly strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not heard it as bad as this for a long long while. Gusts so sudden and ferocious your "startle " reflex takes over. A shrill whistling alongside the blasts.

west mayo offshore island

Worse than Callum? Which according to you was the most severe storm in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Driving rain and gusty winds the last 45 minutes. Maybe starting to ease slightly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just heard a newscaster on the radio refer to today as storm Diana. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not tomorrows winds?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Limerick city here and while it's quite gusty and chucking it down (technical term!) I wouldn't quite go as far as severe. Haven't been out in it yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Worst of it seems to be over in cork city. Wind has died down and rain just suddenly lightened up about 10 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It was mad windy last night at around 2:30 where I am, woke me up it was so loud. I only moved into my house in the summer so haven't experienced too many storms but I'm in a little cottage where there isn't really much between the bedroom and the roof (ie virtually no insulation and if it wasn't for my ceiling, I could almost touch the roof) and I swear it sounded like my roof was coming off.

I'm down in West Cork, in the Kilmichael area. Just kinda realising just how exposed my little house is

Just heard a newscaster on the radio refer to today as storm Diana. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not tomorrows winds?

You are correct, this little number is feeding off the same energy but Diana is just now north of the western Azores and won't be along for 24 hours yet. Perhaps this is Deirdre who was expecting a stage call.

Walking into work an hour ago and my huge and very sturdy umbrella was comically shattered by a gust of wind :rolleyes: can't wait to go back out in it in another hour and a half!

Edit: in Dublin city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some strong gusts but not a consistent strong wind. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Very strong gusts of wind here in Arklow, just arrived into work to find a large sheet missing off the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Windy with light rain in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Was expecting worse but its just a typical breezy day here with occassional gusts, rain is not to bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very wet in waterford gusts nothing major highest on waterfordcityweather.com is 68.5 a few mins ago.

Just a heads up there is a crash on the n7 and traffic backed up to Naas

KILDARE/DUBLIN: Gardai are en route to a crash on the N7 inbound reportedly after J5 Athgoe. Traffic is quite heavy on approach from J8 Johnstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Not as bad as last week.....so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Analysis at 06Z. Diana is 960 hPa just northwest of the Azores. No wind reports from the two westernmost islands but it must be pretty bad.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112706_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Heavy rain & strong winds battering the house at 5am this morning...quietened down just after 7. Barely a breeze out there now, rain stopped.
    North Clare

Waterford just hit 100.0 km/h @ 08:16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Analysis at 06Z. Diana is 960 hPa just northwest of the Azores. No wind reports from the two westernmost islands but it must be pretty bad.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112706_000.png

Gaoth Laidir, the unusual looking cold front west of the Azores, does that signify a developing cold front or something? The line is not solid so it obviously signifies something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Louth wasn’t in the warning but honestly it’s oretty horrible here. Heavy rain, very windy. The kind of weather where you don’t want to go anywhere at all.

00Z tonight. Diana starting to fill to 964 hPa to our southwest.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112700_024.png

12Z tomorrow. 965 hPa off the Mayo coast, with a strong gradient covering most of the country.

ukmo_nat_fax_2018112700_036.png

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Gaoth Laidir, the unusual looking cold front west of the Azores, does that signify a developing cold front or something? The line is not solid so it obviously signifies something.

It shows cold frontogenesis, a developing cold front.

Advertisement