Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fierce Cold Spell from Sunday (February 1st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Well really just 3 days away, this time 3 days we will be seeing the cold push in the 850hpa temps dip to -10c and dewpoints drop like stones, then snow showers should begin to be created in the Irish sea. All going well.....
    Hope your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Although the chart D'man2 just posted is good as the northeast wind for Dublin has the longest fetch over the Irish Sea but you tend to get snow streamers (hit & miss).

Too true. You could be in a situation where you are dry but a snowfest is happening 10 miles up the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'll ask my usual.. Whats the chances of some snow in manky wet Waterford next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Trotter wrote: »
    I'll ask my usual.. Whats the chances of some snow in manky wet Waterford next week?

Quite good actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

darkman2 wrote: »
    Quite good actually.

Sweet Cheeses... Nobody's ever said that before here!!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

darkman2 wrote: »
    Quite good actually.

Hi Darkman, I live in Dublin - do I have a good chance of seeing snow too? :)

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Sorry folks but the 18z look more a frostfest than a snowfest , in other words , a big downgrade , just my reading of the charts and i am quite
    happy if im proven wrong ......

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Sorry folks but the 18z look more a frostfest than a snowfest , in other words , a big downgrade , just my reading of the charts and i am quite

Why does that not surprise me? :mad:
    Ah well, there could be an upgrade tomorrow

I remain hopeful of a dusting of snow in Dublin

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

kerry1960 wrote: »

Reading it wrong im afraid buddy, loads of snow Sunday night Monday in the east and midlands!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Reading it wrong im afraid buddy, loads of snow Sunday night Monday in the east and midlands!

Should we realistically expect some snow around North Tipp at the moment? (only going on the charts that is, I am fully aware that things could change later on:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

stop stop

im getting all excited now - - - no school tue ????????

Crap - left school 13 years ago !!!!

Christ - Glencullen will be like snowed in or out whatever way you wanna look at it !

nice.......

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Enough to prevent an Aer Lingus flight taking off at 6.30am on Monday morning to London?!

Oh my God Weathercheck!! You have cheered me up again; God these boards are a rollercoaster of emotion :)....I am no expert on reading these GFS Charts but going on your valuable experience would you think Dublin is in for some of the white stuff on Sunday into Monday and maybe later on in the week?

Snowfan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Trotter wrote: »

If all this comes to pass, then there is a very good chance indeed, and it would be more than a short flurry...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Well the latest GFS run was poor to say the least. Good news is it still indicates cold for ireland from sunday night till tuesday with the possibility of snow showers for eastern areas but there MAy be a chance for s longer spell of snow. However this latest run goes pear shaped after that but it is just 1 run, tomorrows models will be interesting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Assuming this comes off, is gonna be the scenario where the east of Ireland will get a lot of snow, whereas wetern areas will get a lot of clear weather?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah its only lookin like a 24 to 36 hour spell now:(
    But hopefully this will be better again over next 3 days, still plenty of time for this to get better or pear shaped so im gonna stay calm and not get too excited unless there is something concrete to get excited about come Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Great explanations lads very nicely put.
    I always look in this forum but have no idea what im looking at in the charts.
    So sneachta is on the way !!!!!!!!!
    :D
    cheers black and dark !

I'm the exact same, read the weather forum loads but don't know how to read the charts.

Snow would be awesome, a lot of you are saying snow in the "East"... I'm in Louth, I suppose it won't come far enough north :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

wow this thread is rapidly getting a lot of views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

expect nothing, that way you can't be disappointed, and anything we do get is then a bonus:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

new charts as they roll off and i must say 850 and precip superb for east and midlands.gfs-0-78.png?0
    gfs-1-78.png?0gfs-2-78.png?0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

however everything after wed is fairly crap.not a good run at all.serious improvement needed in 06z.not taken it too seriously tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Latest from met Eireann: It will continue very cold for Monday and Tuesday, with fresh to strong east to northeast winds. Heavy showers of hail, sleet and snow will largely affect the eastern half of the country, with a good deal of dry, bright weather further west. COME ON!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Depending on which model you choose, the snow chances seem to range from a brief snowfall event Monday-Tuesday (GFS) that would probably amount to 5-10 cms in some parts of eastern Ireland, to a longer period with about the same amounts followed by more 2-5 cm falls each day next week.

So it's definitely better than nothing if you want to see some settling snow, however it would be the southeast and parts of Ulster that stand the best chance of seeing a significant amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Depending on which model you choose, the snow chances seem to range from a brief snowfall event Monday-Tuesday (GFS) that would probably amount to 5-10 cms in some parts of eastern Ireland, to a longer period with about the same amounts followed by more 2-5 cm falls each day next week.

So it's definitely better than nothing if you want to see some settling snow, however it would be the southeast and parts of Ulster that stand the best chance of seeing a significant amount.

given all the lets downs in january, i would say the brief snowfall on Monday/Tuesday is the most likely and evn then it might be rain/sleet! my confidence is gone again after the high spirits of yesterday.

Charts looking fantastic this morning.

For once we look like being in a good position.

I would probably advise against following the GFS, changing lots on each run now UKM and ECM are less volatile...... in the medium term this is.. towards +120/144.

In the shorter term for Sunday night/ Monday / Tuesday things looking like getting more certain.

An intense cold pool will push in during Sunday afternoon with 850hpa temps touching -12c perhaps at times in the east. Dewpoints will drop rapidly. Snow showers will begin to form during Sunday evening and progressively develop and become heavier and more frequent through the night.

Monday will be a very cold and snowy day in the east with temperatures around 0 or 1c with dewpoints down to -4c or -5c. For once the showers will be snow! The snow will stick readily and most places along the east coast will recieve at least 5cm through the day with places locally recieving upto 15cm's The snow showers will continue through Monday night with troughs and prolonged showers likely.

Tuesday will start icy with showers in the east but a band of sleet and snow will push from the east, things will begin to become slighltly more marginal however ECM/UKM give a period of heavy snow for much of Ireland through Tuesday with SIG accumalations. GFS gives a more sleet/snow mix as DP's rise to 0c-1c.

From Wednesday onwards things are very uncertain, however it is likely to turn slightly less cold, still frosty and maxes of no more than 5c before a possible northerly moves south.

Overall Sunday evening, Monday and Tuesday offer the best chance to see a decent accumalation of snow for Dublin since 2001.

2 faxes to print out and put on your wall!

brack2.gif

brack2a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Some Great Looking Charts!!

The UKMO have stepped up their Weather Warnings overnight to include eastern counties of Northern Ireland from Tue onwards, Hopefully that'll be a good indication for those of us on the East Coast!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must admit I think Evelyn's forecast for the last 2 nights has been very odd. 'Fine and sunny for the early days of Feb' are not what the charts are showing.
    I know she said it would get cold but that's a bit of an understatement too.
    Funny thing is she usually a bit of a ramper.

Game on is what I would say:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement