Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Took me two days to get an interview, and promptly the job.

I don't believe in this "hard to get a job" malarkey. More so for relatively unskilled labour that is always in demand.

I agree--theres plenty of work out there and Im sure the OP could find something with a bit of help.

frosty123 wrote: »
    well my first job way back when was retail (hardware store) (1 year)

then it was mainly manufacturing/factory work - production line (6 years)

courier van driver - (2 years) never ever again btw hated it!

office - menial data entry (2 years)

warehouse - order picker/general operative (3 years)

* in between these jobs i had spells of unemployment in which i went to college as a mature student learning web-design
    and PC maintenance ...and also more recently learning the basics of horticulture in my CE job.

and thats about it really

If you want I could look at your CV and see if that's whats holding you back.
    One of the biggest issues I see with applicants for jobs is the really ,really bad CVs.
    Maybe yours just needs to be re-written or tweaked a bit.
    If you want send me a PM and Ill give you my email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Frosty could you post your CV here? Of course please change / remove / redact any personal or identifiable information. Change the employer names and location. I just want to see the formatting / wording / content of your CV. If you're struggling to get responses I would put good money on your CV being a big issue. We're currently hiring for an IT role in our company and I have seen some horrendous CVs from experienced IT professionals.

You have 5 seconds to sell yourself to a potential employer. Make it count.

Edit: Hellrazer got there before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If OP is Limerick side, are there jobs in Shannon?

not at the moment

https://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/careeropportunities.aspx#

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Danger781 wrote: »
    Frosty could you post your CV here? Of course please change / remove / redact any personal or identifiable information. Change the employer names and location. I just want to see the formatting / wording / content of your CV. If you're struggling to get responses I would put good money on your CV being a big issue. We're currently hiring for an IT role in our company and I have seen some horrendous CVs from experienced IT professionals.

You have 5 seconds to sell yourself to a potential employer. Make it count.

Edit: Hellrazer got there before me!

Youre dead right Danger781--you have to sell yourself and the first thing a potential employer sees is a CV.
    If that looks **** then you will struggle to even get an interview.
    Some of the CVs I get in the door are absolutely useless and end up being shredded and put in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you in HR ?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you in HR ?

Nope its a small business Im working in but I carry out most of the recruitment along with another member of staff.

We`d both review CVs and decide on potential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

are you in HR ?

I'm assuming this was directed at Hellrazer, but I'll answer anyway :pac:

I'm not in HR but completely echo Hellrazer's sentiment here. We're recruiting someone to be a colleague on the same team as me and have straight up ruled out individuals due to a lack of care and attention shown on their CV.If you aren't willing to correct blatant spelling mistakes, or spend some time at least formatting it nicely, then you're very likely going to have the same approach in a customer facing support role where most of our communication is through email.

We've had people send through plain text *.txt CVs. We've had people writing their entire CVs in a colored font. Those are obviously the WTF examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Full employment? My hole!

There may be plenty of work but getting it is the hard part. I am around the same age as the OP and its almost impossible to get full time work.

Unless you speak an Eastern European voice or have a "degree", you are fecked.

I can and have done a huge variety of jobs and have tons of experience in many trades/roles.

Employers want EU workers that they can mess around or students that they can pay peanuts.

30 somethings dont have a hope in hell.

And what is a "nice" CV to some, could be crap to others. We are not mind readers.

Should we send several versions and you can pick the prettiest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

prinzeugen wrote: »

There may be plenty of work but getting it is the hard part. I am around the same age as the OP and its almost impossible to get full time work.

What's a 'degree'?

Totally idiotic post.

OP, get yourself upskilled. Employers are falling over themselves looking for people with IT qualifications - especially data analytics etc.

You could even do your interviews with a Polish accent to please this clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I can and have done a huge variety of jobs and have tons of experience in many trades/roles.

Employers want EU workers that they can mess around or students that they can pay peanuts.

30 somethings dont have a hope in hell.

Even with a degree you can fcuk off if over 30. Employers want gullible pliable young people, who are less likely to tell them to fcuk off when it's "suggested" maybe you shouldn't be leaving at home time every day or working every Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The ground crew you see buzzing about dealing with flights, be it cargo or luggage or whatever services, as well as directing planes to and from their stands to the taxi way.

I'm wondering do you have to be in Dublin to apply? Sounds like an interesting job.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Im seriously thinking the OP is just trolling everyone. Honestly OP I hope you are not but every response to any reasonable answer has been met with a negative "I cant do that / I wont do that".

Best of luck if you are genuine!

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Even with a degree you can fcuk off if over 30. Employers want gullible pliable young people, who are less likely to tell them to fcuk off when it's "suggested" maybe you shouldn't be leaving at home time every day or working every Saturday morning.
    Not true at all. From personal experience.

Anthracite wrote: »
    Not true at all. From personal experience.

Very much true. From personal experience.

And what is a "nice" CV to some, could be crap to others. We are not mind readers.

Should we send several versions and you can pick the prettiest?

We`re not talking about "nice" CVs

We`re talking about making an effort with a CV--at the very least do a ****ing spell check on the thing.

Ive seen
    1.People spell their own name incorrectly.
    2.Their address wrong or no address on the CV.
    3.Ive seen "gmail" spelled incorrectly in an email address.
    4.A digit missing out of their phone number making it impossible to contact them.
    5.Various grammar and spelling mistakes.

All of the above show a level of out and out laziness and straight away excludes that person from an interview.
    If you cant be arsed getting spelling right on a CV how am I supposed to get you to carry out any task assigned to you?

Ill gladly look at anyones CV and give them tips if they wish.

Filing Cabinets are no longer a purchase. They are an experience.
    Best. Post. Ever.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    We`re not talking about "nice" CVs

We`re talking about making an effort with a CV--at the very least do a ****ing spell check on the thing.

Ive seen
    1.People spell their own name incorrectly.
    2.Their address wrong or no address on the CV.
    3.Ive seen "gmail" spelled incorrectly in an email address.
    4.A digit missing out of their phone number making it impossible to contact them.
    5.Various grammar and spelling mistakes.

All of the above show a level of out and out laziness and straight away excludes that person from an interview.
    If you cant be arsed getting spelling right on a CV how am I supposed to get you to carry out any task assigned to you?

Ill gladly look at anyones CV and give them tips if they wish.

My CV is 100%. But in a part time job I do, I have seen all of the above. Usually from students!!

Very much true. From personal experience.
    Well clearly our experience diverges pretty sharply. I don't know what your background is, but if you have a degree you can do a Springboard course and be in hot demand in a matter of 8 months or so.

Anthracite wrote: »
    Well clearly our experience diverges pretty sharply. I don't know what your background is, but if you have a degree you can do a Springboard course and be in hot demand in a matter of 8 months or so.

Literally just finished the degree, 6 months ago, in an area apparently in hot demand. Doesn't matter and there's fcuk all difference an additional Springboard course would make. If you're over 30 and not willing to submit to the Dublin rent game and working only to pay a landlord, it's basically fcuk off.

To the OP, do try and obtain a qualification of some type and unless you are tied to location by family needs, and I mean your own kids, not parents Tec. Get the hell out of Ireland immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Literally just finished the degree, 6 months ago, in an area apparently in hot demand. Doesn't matter and there's fcuk all difference an additional Springboard course would make. If you're over 30 and not willing to submit to the Dublin rent game and working only to pay a landlord, it's basically fcuk off.

a bad attitude is not going to help you get a job.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »
    a bad attitude is not going to help you get a job.

You think I'm that dumb, that I can't play the shiny happy psycho like everyone else on LinkedIn or at interview? Attitude is completely absent from the professionally reworked CV that still goes in the bin when the extra years of experience indicate a non standard, non 22/23 year old graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I understand where you are coming from OP. I think it's only when you're job hunting that you can really understand how it's not as easy as one may think. And given the current economic climate, I am as surprised as anyone!

I finished up my last position in October where I was for almost 9 years. I thought I would easily find seasonal work in retail, cafes, customer service, especially coming up to Christmas in Dublin to tide me over until something long term was found. But I have had no success with that plan, long or short term.

I have gone to jobcare, where I updated my CV and cover letter. I've set up a LinkedIn profile and registered with agencies. All checked over by someone and approved. I tailor both for each new application. And still nothing.

In fairness, I am trying to change over from another industry but have adjusted my CV and cover letter to highlight my transferable skills and achievements and only apply for jobs I feel I am suitable.

Even applying for retail with Argos, Tesco and Lidl, I have not passed their online situational judgement tests! So have decided I obviously don't have the right skills or personality for working in retail these days? I honestly didn't think it would be this difficult to get shop work! Really beginning to think it's my age...

So if things don't change early new year, I will have to go back to my previous industry and work while I retrain in the evenings for something new.

It is hard not to feel like crap about the lack of interview or job offers, but I have to believe in myself and my abilities.
    And you do too, even though posters here may dismiss or question your efforts. Keep doing what you're doing. Stay strong and best of luck.

GaGa21 wrote: »
    I understand where you are coming from OP. I think it's only when you're job hunting that you can really understand how it's not as easy as one may think. And given the current economic climate, I am as surprised as anyone!

I finished up my last position in October where I was for 8 years. I thought I would easily find seasonal work in retail, cafes, customer service, especially coming up to Christmas in Dublin to tide me over until something long term was found. But I have had no success with that plan, long or short term.

I have gone to jobcare, where I updated my CV and cover letter. I've set up a LinkedIn profile and registered with agencies. All checked over by someone and approved. I tailor both for each new application. And still nothing.

In fairness, I am trying to change over from another industry but have adjusted my CV and cover letter to highlight my transferable skills and achievements and only apply for jobs I feel I am suitable.

Even applying for retail with Argos, Tesco and Lidl, I have not passed their online situational judgement tests! So have decided I obviously don't have the right skills or personality for working in retail these days? I honestly didn't think it would be this difficult to get shop work! Really beginning to think it's my age...

So if things don't change early new year, I will have to go back to my previous industry and work while I retrain in the evenings for something new.

It is hard not to feel like crap about the lack of interview or job offers, but I have to believe in myself and my abilities.
    And you do too, even though posters here may dismiss or question your efforts. Keep doing what you're doing. Stay strong and best of luck.

The online tests are a load of bollox. Like you I have failed the AI test.

The big problem is that most in HR have never worked in the job they are recruiting for.

For example, I know one HR person worked in an office. Now recruiting for retail having never worked in retail before.

How are they going to know who is best for the job if they have never done it before??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Maybe this is your problem, and not those damn foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Remain a bit positive.. towards getting a job.i wouldn't agree with some posters that you need to. move location..but target specific types of jobs that you have a skillset for and please get your cv and past references checked by a professional in that field....
    Like I once heard..a cv should be like a woman's dress shirt enough to be interesting but long enough to cover everything..
    By the way ..do you have your own transport and willing to travel at least 30 / 40 km each way..AND as my earlier post. For basic warehousing type jobs are you. Instantly employable..do you have manual handling..safe pass ..forklift ticket .clean drivers license these are absolutely essential..
    Let us know what courses etc you actually have
    People are actually trying to help you out..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wonder if he makes them put on a skirt and do a merry little dance for them too?

I think I over stated the entertaining part, I asked for a short video about you and what you could bring to the job. The idea behind it was I could pick someone's personality out by watching a video, instead of dragging them in for an interview where they will feel pressured and not themselves. It's like a video CV but tailored to the job you are applying for, not a generic sheet of facts. Some people just aren't good at interviews/exams and you could end up excluding some good people from your recruitment search.

By entertaining I meant - I don't want to hear about where you went to school, or stats.
    2 people didn't understand what I wanted and sent in mini sketches, not what I was looking for.

**** on me all you like, it worked for us and will be something I will do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

rob316 wrote: »
    I think I over stated the entertaining part, I asked for a short video about you and what you could bring to the job. The idea behind it was I could pick someone's personality out by watching a video, instead of dragging them in for an interview where they will feel pressured and not themselves. It's like a video CV but tailored to the job you are applying for, not a generic sheet of facts. Some people just aren't good at interviews/exams and you could end up excluding some good people from your recruitment search.

By entertaining I meant - I don't want to hear about where you went to school, or stats.
    2 people didn't understand what I wanted and sent in mini sketches, not what I was looking for.

**** on me all you like, it worked for us and will be something I will do again.

And some people are not good at " entertaining " others on a video . So you could end up excluding them . Personally I think its a daft way to recruit anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭rob316

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And some people are not good at " entertaining " others on a video . So you could end up excluding them . Personally I think its a daft way to recruit anyone .

Your entitled to your opinion. The criteria was the correct skills and bright personality, it got us both in the ideal candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The online tests are a load of bollox. Like you I have failed the AI test.

The big problem is that most in HR have never worked in the job they are recruiting for.

For example, I know one HR person worked in an office. Now recruiting for retail having never worked in retail before.

How are they going to know who is best for the job if they have never done it before??

The problem here is you don't understand what HR do. HR do not decide who is best for the job they mostly deal with administration and policy. Reviewing CVs and putting them forward to the person who will be their boss is only part of the job. The criteria for the job is decided by the requirements put forward and HR just put it together.

If you only ever meet a HR person it is just to see if you meet the criteria and there will be a second interview with the hiring person. If the only round is with HR it will be a very basic position but I have never heard of that.

Anyway. OP from what you have said about your experience and training all I can say it just doesn't look stable in terms of occupation. You would need to target a position and pay attention to recruitment companies. Many temporary driving jobs and factory jobs come up.
    I worked in a call centre and used to hire people and would get CVs that looked like yours we would often hire them out of desperation to fill positions. We found the people who said they would do anything for a job didn't stick around. It seemed like they put too much pressure on them selves and feel trapped like they were going to have to work there for the rest of their lives. As I said we would hire them because we needed people but when we had a choice we wouldn't. I think once out of about 20 similar people it worked out.

Just consider that and see that the first job you take isn't the end so don't be to fussy even jobs you didn't like before. It isn't the rest of your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

When I went looking for a job while in college I found it near impossible to get one, I sent CV's everywhere and got no responses. When I finished college I decided I wanted to get a short term job just to get a bit of money for a nice holiday or something to relax, again I found it extremely difficult. I had good experience with jobs I had in the past and college experience too. Got absolutely no response from anybody. Tried Aldi, Lidl, McDonald's, Subway, Burger King, all kinds of shops, Garages, Bars, Restaurants, Delivery driver and the list goes on and on. Not one response and that was with a good college degree.
    When I decided I was putting in too much effort in to looking for a short term job, I said I might as well go looking for a career job instead and put the effort in to that, threw CV's around everywhere and ended up doing 6 interviews in the first week, I ended up having a great choice of places to go to and I chose one and started a few days later. 1 week after sending out CV's.
    Still to this day, I never got a response off the small short term jobs.

So the people out there saying its easy to get a job, yes it is, but it is also very difficult to find a job. It totally depends what kind of job you are looking for in my opinion/.

I might add, my CV was a very good CV. I got some very good assistance from the college career guidance office. So the lack of response was not by a bad CV or no experience.

Advertisement