Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get a job

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

frosty123 wrote: »
    Honest to god...sending out cv's left right and centre, signed up with recruitment agencies, not being in anyway fussy even warehouse work would do and ......nothing, no replies nothing, even aldi & lidl don't wanna know.

Granted i'm long term unemployed (over 2 years) and in my late 30's..but i thought i'd get at least some sort of response esp this time of year, but ..no, zilch!

am i on the scrapeheap for life? :o

(i'm in the mid-west btw, near Limerick)

I was going to give you a negative reply until the last sentence your in Limerick to be honest Dublin has the majority of jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Best time to look for jobs is september or start of january, many places will have taken on staff in the months prior to this for summer/winter so you should try then when they start hiring again in large numbers

Well for me anyway I remember it was november when I started looking for a job last year and many people I went to interviews for said it was a bad time to apply as most companies had taken on staff for christmas already and might hire again after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I was in the same position around this time 2 years ago. I applied everywhere. The jobs I had the right experience for, didn't even get back to me, Penneys, Aldi, cleaning jobs etc, told me I didn't have the right experience for the job. People have this attitude of "if you apply for a job in Penneys/Tesco/the local corner shop, you'll get a job" but it's not that simple. The likes of Tesco seem to really want you to fit into a box where they have to provide as little training as possible. I have 13 years working as a secretary, dealing with people every day, excellent references and I was refused by every single shop I applied to. Many companies will no longer accept cvs handed in in person, I am speaking from experience here. I was told "apply online", "keep an eye on the website" in the vast majority of places I tried to hand my CV into.

Now, onto the positive. You will get a job, there is a job out there for you, you just have to be patient. I know as the bills pile up and your social life disappears due to lack of money, it can feel very hopeless but, if you persevere, keep applying, look every day, you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Naos

erica74 wrote: »
    I was in the same position around this time 2 years ago. I applied everywhere. The jobs I had the right experience for, didn't even get back to me, Penneys, Aldi, cleaning jobs etc, told me I didn't have the right experience for the job. People have this attitude of "if you apply for a job in Penneys/Tesco/the local corner shop, you'll get a job" but it's not that simple. The likes of Tesco seem to really want you to fit into a box where they have to provide as little training as possible. I have 13 years working as a secretary, dealing with people every day, excellent references and I was refused by every single shop I applied to. Many companies will no longer accept cvs handed in in person, I am speaking from experience here. I was told "apply online", "keep an eye on the website" in the vast majority of places I tried to hand my CV into.

Now, onto the positive. You will get a job, there is a job out there for you, you just have to be patient. I know as the bills pile up and your social life disappears due to lack of money, it can feel very hopeless but, if you persevere, keep applying, look every day, you will get there.

Did you tailor your CV to each job application?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have you applied for Public Sector jobs?

https://publicjobs.ie/en/job-search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ugh a CV. We hired recently and I just told anyone interested send me in a video about you, make it entertaining then I'll consider you. We got some mad videos but definitely felt we hired the right person in the end.

Employers should be more interested in someone's character/personality than where they went to school.

Any CV we get in the mail goes straight to the shredder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭Naos

rob316 wrote: »
    Ugh a CV. We hired recently and I just told anyone interested send me in a video about you, make it entertaining then I'll consider you. We got some mad videos but definitely felt we hired the right person in the end.

Employers should be more interested in someone's character/personality than where they went to school.

What industry is that?

Naos wrote: »
    What industry is that?

Office supplies. Boring as **** to be honest so I wanted to see what sort of creativity someone could bring to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

frosty123 wrote:
    but this is xmas! if i can't get a job at the busiest time what chance have i got come the new year???

If you be willing to work in retail I would suggest applying to either B&Q or Curry's. They appear to recruit people of a much older age profile than indigenous Irish stores and I presume many of those people may have been out of the workforce for a while for one reason or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ugh a CV. We hired recently and I just told anyone interested send me in a video about you, make it entertaining then I'll consider you.

I would find that demeaning tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would you try taxi driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would find that demeaning tbh

So would I . And unprofessional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Unfortunately some jobs require actual skills, hence the CV outlining same. You can determine character and personality during the interview stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Pelvis wrote: »
    You can determine character and personality during the interview stage.

Although research is a bit sketchy on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Excellent idea.

Immediately rules out the kind of dull nerd who finds it 'demeaning' and 'unprofessional'.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Lots of cleaning and catering jobs all over Limerick at present. Maybe you're a bit too picky. It would help here if you said what type of work you're looking for and what training or experience you have. Go to a recruitment agency with your CV and get it checked and corrected.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So would I . And unprofessional

And quite likely in breach of data protection laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

And quite likely in breach of data protection laws.

How ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Austria! wrote: »
    That seems contradictory. If there's so much work why does he need to go to college or do additional training?

This is very true.

If there are a lot of jobs, then they should be begging people to work minimum wage. They shouldn't be turning people down for too much experience, or whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Emigrate.

This is horrible, but it's not a bad option. Go where you are needed and where the jobs are plentiful and people are selling themselves to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Office supplies. Boring as **** to be honest so I wanted to see what sort of creativity someone could bring to the job.

Worst kind of ****ehawkery going in fairness. Anyone using methods like that outside of the usual douchey "morkeshing" industry should be shot at with balls of their own ****e.

How ?

I had a job before in an office where there was a CCTV camera pointed right at the back of my head. Needles to say it made me quite uncomfortable. I didn't stay very long.

I asked a solicitor that I know on a personal level if they'd be able to offer any advice. They got back to me after a few days and told me that they would be required by law to have what's known as a 'camera policy'.

As I'm the one being recorded in the image I have certain rights and am within them to know why its needed, (I need to make sure the little f*cker is working isn't acceptable) who has access to it, how long they're going to keep it on file, where the recording is being stored, even what type of security it's kept under.

A lot of employers do like to extract the urine around this type of stuff. Can't wait to see cases being brought against them because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

If you roll a pencil, is it still stationary?

OP, are there any local groups for your area on FB? No harm putting up a post saying that you are looking for work in one of those. Same with shopping centre notice boards. Are there any call centres within travelling distance? Having worked in one during college, I can tell you that staff turn over tends to be pretty consistent and jobs available often.

I wonder if he makes them put on a skirt and do a merry little dance for them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

frosty123 wrote: »
    even warehouse work would do

I find this comment funny but understandable. It may be a low status part of the org but fcuk things up here and you know about it fairly quickly. (its usually the IT side of things that goes wrong - wrong stuff, wrong place etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Any retail places have hired for Xmas by now
    Why not take up one of the couple of offers on this post to look through your cv get that sorted and start fresh after Christmas.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Next time you should propose a race around the world. Get them to meet you at Leicester Square at noon the next day. Tell them the Queen herself shall drop the checkered flag.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Worst kind of ****ehawkery going in fairness. Anyone using methods like that outside of the usual douchey "morkeshing" industry should be shot at with balls of their own ****e.

In a social media age where your content says everything about your business it's needs to be entertaining, fresh and stand out. If you hire someone to your marketing team and their personality is stiff as a board, it reflects in the content they put out.

Confident we hired the right person so the method has merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fűck that, it's a job, not win a Facebook travel competition.

• Advertisement

Fűck that, it's a job, not win a Facebook travel competition.

One day all this crap will backfire badly. And I for one won't have an ounce of sympathy for them.

Don't get me started on those reprehensible 'meet the team' Web pages that people are coerced into being part of.

Advertisement