Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free iPad mini 2 with Sunday Times subscription (18 months)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Found it disappointing to be honest. There are two ipad apps for the Sunday Times.
    This subscription one and then there is one that allows you to download the newspaper and read it as a digital paper like the irish independent ipad app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Thanks...that sounds like a plan except how do I do that? Plus I don't know anyone with the app.....

I can grab it for you. What device? I have a Nexus 7, so can grab this version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timesmobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Hi, I see you've been helping people with their queries. I've a pretty major one....I just signed up to the subscription as I have recently moved abroad to bahrain with work and wanted to keep in touch with the Sunday times even if digital.however when I went to install app it says it's not available in my country!it's the android one.what's that all about?is it the same for ios?surely one of the points of an online edition and app is for people like me who can't get the print edition because of their location? Is this the case or just a bug? Am I screwed here? Can I at least access via the desktop sits? Please help.....I was really looking forward to flicking through a digital version of the paper but it seems I've been sold a pup!
    I feel the same agree with you one hundred percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I can grab it for you. What device? I have a Nexus 7, so can grab this version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timesmobile.ie

I've a Samsung galaxy s2 tablet but also an android smartphone....

I'm hoping Sunday times can help but if play store issue, maybe not.....

I've a Samsung galaxy s2 tablet but also an android smartphone....

I'm hoping Sunday times can help but if play store issue, maybe not.....

OK, this one says compatible with Moto G, Galaxy S3 etc. so give it a go.

• Advertisement

OK, this one says compatible with Moto G, Galaxy S3 etc. so give it a go.

Thanks Kenny, I'll try....cheers for the dig out! Curiously I was able to install the app on my iPhone...we have an iPad also (can never have enough devices!) which the little fella uses for kids films so might try that too...it's an iPad 1 tho so hopefully app doesn't need recent iOS. Not a disaster anyway if it works on iOS here as from what I've read here, it's a lot better on iOS....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Hi guys, just wondering if the money is taken out at a fiver a week or twenty a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hi guys, just wondering if the money is taken out at a fiver a week or twenty a month?

Monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 7 substanceg

Quick question.

Does the digital version include all the pull outs that are in the Sunday edition?

Culture, Sport, business etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

substanceg wrote: »
    Quick question.

Does the digital version include all the pull outs that are in the Sunday edition?

Culture, Sport, business etc?

Thanks

Yes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 substanceg

I'm sold then. Can't go wrong with that price. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I subscribed a few weeks back, still waiting on the ipad to be delivered, hoping it'll be in next week or so...

The app on android is weird. It won't work on my phone at all (I log in and I get a black screen, nothing else). On my android tablet it works really well, except there is one article type where you scroll down as against swipe side-to-side, and the scroll won't work. I tested using my dad's ipad and it definitely looks better on the ipad.

All-in-all, I'm quite pleased. I'm finding I'm reading more news and commentary than I had been, and some of the election coverage has been excellent. People are right in saying that there can be a bigger emphasis on UK news on certain days, but so be it. The world news section is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jayjbe

The iphone app has a Goals section showing near live video of Premier league goals. Maybe can get elsewhere, but seems a good bonus feature.

Is the page swipe, which is like reading the paper in it's hard copy form rather than clicking articles, only available with the tablet version??

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Is the page swipe, which is like reading the paper in it's hard copy form rather than clicking articles, only available with the tablet version??

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Wow, web site and app just received a nice update.

mccard wrote: »

Tell more! Just got iPad so looking forward to being able to use on an iOS with decent screen but can't be ar$ed setting it up till tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roakleyIRL

mccard wrote: »

Hi all,

Just to explain on the website and app. The UK edition launched a new website today and a new smartphone app. The new UK website has an Ireland tab and we are already putting some Ireland stories on it. We will be increasing the number of Ireland stories over time and within a number of weeks it will soon have all the Ireland content each day already featured in the tablet edition. The UK edition is going to be updated at set times each day. The Ireland tab will mainly continue to update each night at midnight with the same content as our morning tablet edition. We will look to change this and move to the UK system at some stage. All Ireland subscribers get full access to the UK website and this will continue so big breaking international stories will be covered extensively at the set publishing times.

We will also be getting a new smartphone app for the Ireland edition of The Times in the coming weeks (estimated: end of April or start of May). For the moment we will continue to use our own Irish website (the times dot ie) and this will continue to feed our existing smartphone app. When we have a new smartphone app we will move to it and we will then simply use the UK website from then on which will have a full Ireland tab.

There will be a short period where our smartphone app will have Ireland content but broken links to the UK content. We will have a message explaining this and advice on how to access the UK content. This is necessary as part of the technology changes for the roll-out of the new app. The existing times dot ie site will work for Ireland content and anyone clicking on other sections will move to the new site. This will be slightly odd but will not last long. The tablet edition will continue as normal.

Will answer any further queries as best as I can

Thanks, Richie

I must say that the only issue I have with the times is the disparity between the UK and Irish sites. You sometimes end up being routed back to the UK site instead of Irish one, and the UK site/paper does seem to have more details.

Having said that, the new site (UK atm) does look very nice indeed. Hopefully it will roll out to us in due course...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roakleyIRL

dulpit wrote: »
    I must say that the only issue I have with the times is the disparity between the UK and Irish sites. You sometimes end up being routed back to the UK site instead of Irish one, and the UK site/paper does seem to have more details.

Having said that, the new site (UK atm) does look very nice indeed. Hopefully it will roll out to us in due course...

Sure, when we launched the Ireland edition the UK website and smartphone app were in the process of being replaced, so we had to push ahead with the new tablet edition and wait for the launch of the new website and smartphone. The new website and smartphone app for Ireland will be much better and it will be just a matter of weeks before we have both up and running.

Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Can you access the app on other devices other than on the ipad? Another ipad or iphone etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Can you access the app on other devices other than on the ipad? Another ipad or iphone etc?

Yes , android as well.

Quick one - are the iPads silver or grey, or is possible to choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Quick one - are the iPads silver or grey, or is possible to choose?

I don't think you can choose a colour, I didn't get the option anyway. Mine is space grey.

guil wrote: »
    I don't think you can choose a colour, I didn't get the option anyway. Mine is space grey.

Me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

All in all would you recommend subscribing for it. Probably in 5 to 10 years papers will be an expensive luxury, it'll be all ipads and tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

All in all would you recommend subscribing for it. Probably in 5 to 10 years papers will be an expensive luxury, it'll be all ipads and tablets.

Yeah, I love it, reading right now.

I enjoy it. The layout feels more like a newspaper than a website, which encourages me to read more. I wouldn't say I read it every day, but definitely a few times a week, plus the website for articles here and there.

For me it was a no brainer as I do not have access to the hard copy as I'm working abroad. As an on line substitute, working from the free ipad (can't speak for android tablet as cant download here), I would say it is excellent. I was hoping that it would have the same layout and feel to work through as the printed version and I'm happy to say it does. The daily editions are a bonus too as I wouldn't normally be interested in these in print form but they're good to dip into every now and again and save some articles for later. I'd definitely recommend it if you're into reading stuff on line but if you're more of a traditionalist then don't be seduced by the free ipad 2 since you can pick them up now a lot cheaper.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

How soon after the 14-day period ended did people get a dispatch email? I'm heading away next Friday, was hoping to have the iPad before then.

Advertisement