Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacWorld 2008

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I vaguely remember reading on Gizmodo or similar about a month ago, where someone from Asus (they make the apple laptops) said that they were making a tablet laptop for Apple.

//Edit : Linkage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 firewire

So, not FACT or confirmed as real at all then...

10.5.2 is fact

1.1.3 - rumor with extremely high probability

Ultra portable - Rumor very consistent with apple patents

3G iphone - Rumor

Having attend a number of Macworld events through the last few years, one thing that is always true - OS gets updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

ah yeah.....the OS isn't a biggie for me at all.........OS updates come periodically! I tend to follow the dev build progress and its gonna happen pretty soon.

The rest of it.....we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I love the idea of an ultra portable mac laptop which has an optional imac style dock for desktop use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

womoma wrote: »
    I love the idea of an ultra portable mac laptop which has an optional imac style dock for desktop use.

yeah me too...

i saw that as well today, savage idea!

c'mon jan 15th!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I dunno about being excited about this sub-notebook. I mean a smaller MacBook would be nice, although I think the screen size is good as it is. But I can't imagine using a notebook with no optical drive. The amount of software that comes on CDs/DVDs, not to mention ripping music etc. I use my optical drive a LOT. Maybe I'm missing the point though :confused:

i can defo see the point of the sub notebook, DJing anyway for a start...

photographers, video people.... and body that doesnt have a power supply near and needs a VERY small powerful notebook

but for me i would use it a bit to DJ with, but i'd still buy one with an optical drive. im hoping to upgrade my macbook to a 15" macbook pro so hopefully something will be done to them!!

does anybody know why apple dont have the magnetic clasp on the MBP?? the "normal" clasps take away from the looks of it i think...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

you can get the optical drive add-on if you want.

Personally I want a smaller than 15" MBP, any extras (NAND/50% lighter etc.) are welcome.

Most/All software I use come in download/disk image format anyway, I've never once loaded software from a CD/DVD on my Macbook.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Call_me_al wrote: »
    what mac mini clearout? the pc world one is old models and nothing to do with Apple...

Those have been there months - I really don't know why PC World bother. Anyone goes looking at a Mac they steer them to PCs anyway, then they have to clear out old Macs at a loss. When they DO eventually, though no fault of theirs, actually sell a Mac, they sell them the 3 or 5 year warranty for software and H/W even though they have no idea how they cover it (S/W not at all, hard fight to find out who repairs the HW for them) The amount of fights we had with people when I was in Tech Support, with PC World telling them any old crap and shunting them back to Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

An apparent leak from MacWorld 2008: link. Quoted to save y'all clicking.
    As everybody’s favorite keynote of the year approaches, more and more rumors about the great iProducts to come begin floating around the great rumor mill. Our friends over at MacRumors have supposedly obtained a draft version of the keynote transcripts for the upcoming MacWorld 2008. I have no idea if it is real or not, but I wouldn’t doubt it. Here’s a summary of the speculated things to come. Here’s a compiled list of what MacRumor’s two transcripts consist of. Remember, none of this is guaranteed and nothing is promised, so don’t hold your breath on it.

Mac Nano
    • Redesigned Mac–Mini
    • Half the height as its predecessor
    • Now has an anodized aluminum shell.
    • 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz Santa Rosa chips
    • 32GB flash solid state drive (64GB build-to-order option, also option for 160GB conventional HDD)
    • On sale at MacWorld, ships February

Mac Pro
    • Based off the Penryn chipset
    • Dual 2.8 GHz Penryn Xeons standard
    • 2GB of RAM standard
    • 320GB HDD standard
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Graphics standard
    • Blu-Ray build-to-order option for an extra $400

MacBook Pro
    • Mobile Penryn Chipset
    • 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz Speeds
    • 17” gets LED backlighting
    • 15” gets a build-to-order higher resolution similar to the 17” model
    • Keeping the 8600M GT graphics, but upping the video memory to 256MB and 512MB
    • Black anodized aluminum option similar to the iPod classic

Cinema Displays
    • Built in 2 megapixel iSight camera
    • Same resolutions
    • LED backlighting
    • All support 1080HD
    • New Prices : 20”: $399; 23”: $599; 30”: $1,249
    • On sale at MacWorld, Available at MacWorld

MacBook Nano
    • Ultraportable Mac
    • Same screen resolution and size as the current MacBooks; 13” at 1280x800
    • 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz low voltage Core 2 Duos
    • Low end model to feature a 32GB SSD and the higher end to have a 64GB SSD
    • $1,499 and $1,999 Respectively
    • No Optical Drives
    • Intel Integrated Graphics
    • 10 Hours of Battery Life

iPhone
    • SDK Available at MacWorld
    • Developers can sell their signed apps from iTunes starting in March
    • New software includes Multimedia messaging, video recording with the camera, and an eBook reader
    • iPhone games available from the iTunes store
    • 3G iPhone announced (looks similar to the existing model)
    • iPhone available in more countries

iTunes & iPod
    • iTunes 8 released along with Movie Rentals and eBooks
    • Software update for iPod Classics and Touches to support eBooks

Front Row 3.0
    • All Leopard compatible Macs will be able to use it
    • Support for the iTunes Store
    • eBook Reader
    • SDK for 3rd Parties to make plugins
    • Can be controlled via Apple Remote, iPhone, or iPod Touch
    • iCal, Mail, and Safari integration

MacTouch
    • New product not in the MacBook family
    • Two 9" multitouch-sensitve widescreens, both at 1280 x 854
    • Innovative, minimalist, two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps. Inspired by the paperback book, but thinner, more flexible and surprisingly tough.
    • No optical drive or mechanical HDD, uses a SSD drive.
    • Will run most existing OS X apps when in dual screen mode; 2nd screen becomes keyboard and touchpad
    • iPhone-ish springboard when in single screen mode
    • Multitouch sensitive version of iPhoto
    • Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB2.0, optical/analogue audio in/out, built in speakers & microphone.

Remember, nothing here is guaranteed, but it sure does sound awesome. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Wow! An awful lot of predictions for one show there, I wonder which ones will come to pass...
    Mac Nano
    • Redesigned Mac–Mini
    • Half the height as its predecessor
    • Now has an anodized aluminum shell.
    • 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz Santa Rosa chips
    • 32GB flash solid state drive (64GB build-to-order option, also option for 160GB conventional HDD)

Yuck, I hate my Mac Mini, don't see how decreasing the already-crappy storage capacity is going to improve these :rolleyes:
    MacBook Pro
    • Mobile Penryn Chipset

Looks interesting, I might pick one of these up in March if I can scrape the pennies together.
    MacBook Nano
    • Ultraportable Mac
    • Same screen resolution and size as the current MacBooks; 13” at 1280x800
    • 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz low voltage Core 2 Duos
    • Low end model to feature a 32GB SSD and the higher end to have a 64GB SSD
    • $1,499 and $1,999 Respectively
    • No Optical Drives
    • Intel Integrated Graphics
    • 10 Hours of Battery Life

I can see the appeal of having no optical drive. Only 32GB storage for the basic model though?? I have large storage requirements myself, appreciate that other might require yet but surely this is a huge crippling feature. The prospect of a machine with no moving parts (optical drive or HDD) is kind of cool though. Also a 13" screen seems a bit big for an ultraportable machine.
    Front Row 3.0
    • All Leopard compatible Macs will be able to use it
    • Support for the iTunes Store
    • eBook Reader
    • SDK for 3rd Parties to make plugins
    • Can be controlled via Apple Remote, iPhone, or iPod Touch
    • iCal, Mail, and Safari integration

Excellent news, I think a few basic changes like the SDK will make this appeal hugely to users.
    MacTouch
    • New product not in the MacBook family
    • Two 9" multitouch-sensitve widescreens, both at 1280 x 854
    • Innovative, minimalist, two-way folding/sliding, dual-screen, multi-position design with magnetic clasps. Inspired by the paperback book, but thinner, more flexible and surprisingly tough.
    • No optical drive or mechanical HDD, uses a SSD drive.
    • Will run most existing OS X apps when in dual screen mode; 2nd screen becomes keyboard and touchpad
    • iPhone-ish springboard when in single screen mode
    • Multitouch sensitive version of iPhoto
    • Bluetooth, 802.11b/g, USB2.0, optical/analogue audio in/out, built in speakers & microphone.

Now that sounds cool...

64GB of NAND would be sweet, I've a host powered 160GB WD Passport II.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'd have no interest in laptop that only had a 32 or 64 gb hard drive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

lol. That list is crazy. It's from page 2 of macrumors anyway, which is where all the fanboy-wishlist/fake-for-laughs stuff goes. I think everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment as usual. Jobs will probably just yack about the iphone and it's new firmware for an hour and introduce a new crippled macbook. That's all I'm expecting tbh.

I think people are missing the point of a flash based laptop. It's not meant to be a main machine, but a supporting travel computer/on the job computer. The "original" MBP is for people who want to use it as a main machine.

MacTouch sounds similar to what Andy Ihnatko was talking about.

You'll end up buying it anyway Bek, you're a total mac whore :p

It's just a coincidence I'm going to the states next month, I swear;)

My good lady friend is too, quite fortunate the way thats worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

do not like the idea of a touch keyboard, but the rest sounds sweet for rumours anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh crap i didn't see that macbook nano.

erm if this is true anyone want to buy a 4 month old macbook with leopard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Cremo wrote: »
    ohh crap i didn't see that macbook nano.

erm if this is true anyone want to buy a 4 month old macbook with leopard?

:D
    adverts will be a haven for older mac stuff after this if those predictions are in any way true

as for my misadventures waiting for a new mbp before buying...
    MacBook Pro
    • Mobile Penryn Chipset

sounds perfect. the LED backlighting sounds interesting but i'd probably opt for a "high end" 15" purely because 17" is too big for a lappy IMO.

:D
    adverts will be a haven for older mac stuff after this if those predictions are in any way true

i know mine will be there anyway!!

haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

ok i am looking into a crystal ball here, i will write it out as quick as possible as i see the visions --- ( numbers put in after my visions)
    7 --- Steve Jobs is still in the same cloths
    6-- new mac pro -- a super computer it will be
    5-- mac gallery quicker for european mac users
    4-- itunes movie rentals and upgrade to itunes
    5-- a new apple tv on sale --- old one will still be for sale called apple tv classic
    4-- Bill Gates comes out on stage -- trying to read , can't .....
    3--- a new product called, i think it says iyank or iwink can't see what it does.
    2-- iphone 3G and some upgrade to the OSX software -- can't make out which ones..
    1-- An itablet

oh, Steve is talking about how much mac sales have grown and wait, Bill is saying that he reckons that by the year 2010 90% of computers in the world will be macs.
    Warning my visions are ....hmmmm ... , good, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I wont be running out to sell my mac mini no matter what comes along. I love it. My macbook is beyond selling. I've modded it with a pretty crap spray job lol. I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

womoma wrote: »
    I've modded it with a pretty crap spray job lol. I still love it.

OOOOh !! Pics Please ?!

I can't believe how short sighted some people can be. A laptop with 32/64GB of SSD storage and a 10 hour battery life !! How can this not be good ? At home where you have power available you can have all the storage you need in the form of External drives for your music and photos and video projects - on the run you usually don't need all that stuff with you do you ? And if you do then a 2.5" 250GB Passport is only 150 quid in PC World. Plug it in only when you need to use it and avail of the extended battery life when it's unplugged. I think if that rumor is true then this will be a big seller.

I also like the Mac Nano idea, If I hadn't already bought a PS3 that would have been my next purchase as a set top box.

I think the last item in the list is total pie in the sky especially if the SSD Macbook were true, where would it fit ? The iPod Touch would be more useful instead and anyway PDA's kinda went out with the indians.

A 3G iPhone is exactly what I've been waiting for and if they make a 32GB version . . . I'm there !!!

Oh and i;) rulz !!!
    ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Just reading about the CES in las vegas, here is what one of bill's guys says --

7:15 p.m.: Gates introduces Robbie Bach, head of the company's entertainment and devices division, to talk about new partnerships with Disney, MGM, and others. Details are in our news story here.

Bach appears to take a jab at Apple. In talking about his company's media products, such as DVR capabilities, he emphasizes that these are not "hobbies" for Microsoft. If you recall, earlier this year Steve Jobs described Apple TV as a "hobby" for the company.

Maybe he is right. That is why i hope apple do something ( don't look at me or ask me, i don't know the answer) with apple tv and maybe this time they will take it serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

hehe I was watching some of the CES keynote stream last night and man was it embarrassing. Really cringe inducing (Bill's last day video) but also unintentionally hilarious in parts (a car running Windows software, god help us). Gates is such a dork. I think the audience gasped everytime there was an Apple product mentioned. But to be fair I didn't really notice any side-swipes at Apple, at least compared to amount Apple/Jobs usually makes at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

When is the keynote? Tomorrow?

No, next Tuesday (the 15th) around 5pm our time. No live stream I'm afraid but there'll be live updates via macrumors and IRC as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

If that Mac Touch is real I might be tempted.

Advertisement