Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son cannot get job in Sydney

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    Perth prices. The worst I heard of was $16.
    Had a feeling it was Perth, that's scandalous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Thargor wrote: »
    Can you just head to Sydney and sign up with one of those agencies if you've never worked on a site and have no construction qualifications or do they only want experienced people?

I'd like to know this too. I came here planning to work as a Personal Trainer but it's taking forever to get registered and even then I'm not sure if gyms will hire me on a WHV. So, I'd happily do labouring in the mean time. I'm strong and fit and willing to work hard but I have no experience (and no car). That be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Just to add to the thread, I was looking for work and this thread pointed me in the direction of a labour hire company I hadn't heard of and has kept me busy the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Thargor wrote: »
    Can you just head to Sydney and sign up with one of those agencies if you've never worked on a site and have no construction qualifications or do they only want experienced people?

My son had no experience whatsoever. He only had retail and call centre experience. He signed up with the contact names I sent him that I got on boards and he is busy working away now. Also I agree with all posts that said hardship will do him no harm, he has learnt some valuable life lessons ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Is Labouring just hard work or is it also dangerous work? Would you have to work from heights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is Labouring just hard work or is it also dangerous work? Would you have to work from heights?

can be all of the above and none of the above. zombie thread btw!

I've done a few months of labouring at different sites in Sydney. I've used grinders, jackhammers and other power tools and I've also been up high in a cherry picker. It's not really dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you. Like, if you get careless when you're using the grinder you could probably lose a finger. When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Some jobs are hard and some jobs are easy. I think you'll find the Aussies have a fairly chillaxed approach to their work though.

I've done a few months of labouring at different sites in Sydney. I've used grinders, jackhammers and other power tools and I've also been up high in a cherry picker. It's not really dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you. Like, if you get careless when you're using the grinder you could probably lose a finger. When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Some jobs are hard and some jobs are easy. I think you'll find the Aussies have a fairly chillaxed approach to their work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you're doing anything near high powered machinery make sure whoever is operating them can see you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

CM24 wrote: »
    When I was in the cherry picker I had a licensed guy supervising me so he showed me how to use the harness and all that. I've had to work on a few scaffoldings as well.

Before you perform work at heights, there is a high risk work license you should have completed.
    Plenty of cowboys don't. Any of the higher tier construction companies won't let you near Working at heights without the ticket, so don't expect that to be the norm. The course only takes a day, but is fairly useful regarding your legal obligations.
    EWP's have a specific work license also, and require a VOC in most places.

By working on scaffolding do you mean putting it up or taking it down ?
    Because that also is licensed work. I'd have a quick read through the work health and safety act before doing any of the above. The fines are high, and ignorance is not a defense should the shit hit the fan

If you are being put in this situation by work, ask them to put you through the courses, or put yourself through them.

Too many people die because of cowboy activity.

Advertisement