Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

• 08-06-2017 12:49am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Marching on together into a new thread.

Old one here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

1st post!!!

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Second post wootwhoot!!
    Doesnt have the same ring as first post really though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah the new manager/promotion thread!

And that's the last bit of optimism for here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Mushy wrote: »
    Ah the new manager/promotion/new lawnmower thread!

And that's the last bit of optimism for here now.

Fyp

Phil Hay has said Pardew is not being considered

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fyp

Phil Hay has said Pardew is not being considered

Thank Christ for that, can't stand that guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ok so we're not interested in Pardew (thankfully), Karanka (thankfully), Ranieri (which could have been fun) or Laudrup (doubt he would have been worth considering anyway). I've yet to hear any name that we are actually interested in! Either Rads is very good at keeping his cards close to his chest or he is flying a lot of kites to see how the fans react and is running out of options fast!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Ok so we're not interested in Pardew (thankfully), Karanka (thankfully), Ranieri (which could have been fun) or Laudrup (doubt he would have been worth considering anyway). I've yet to hear any name that we are actually interested in! Either Rads is very good at keeping his cards close to his chest or he is flying a lot of kites to see how the fans react and is running out of options fast!

Rumours that Wagner was seriously considered too, but obviously that went down the drain after the play-off final

Could be that they're after someone already at a club and negotiating a release fee is causing the delay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Ah that classic Leeds uncertainty to start a fresh thread! As long as we don't get another Hockaday in the door, I'm happy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Could be that they're after someone already at a club and negotiating a release fee is causing the delay

Grayson please. He continues to get average players to overperform. Imaging as to what he could do with half decent players

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Clearing out some stuff from my Mums house and I found some of my old toys.
    I think childhood Gaspode pretty much nailed these plaster cast moulds!
    Wasnt too keen on Gordon Banks but I was stuck with him!

4UVcY2m.jpg?1

• Advertisement

You really captured Lorimer's famous deep blue eyes....

Monk to Middlesboro..

Boourns

Let's hope he keeps his sticky fingers off Bartley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Shlippery wrote: »
    Monk to Middlesboro..

Huge mistake to let him go. Hard to fathom those Italian moneymen at times.

Huge mistake to let him go. Hard to fathom those Italian moneymen at times.

He wasn't let go, he walked.

However, could more have been done to engage with him, especially after Massimo had exited - I reckon so.

Maybe Clotet is actually the brains of the operation. Poyet clearly was, under Denis Wise. I just hope that we can entice Bartley to sign up.

Jaap Stam and 3 others on the shortlist according to the oracle/phil hay

An interesting one - got dogs abuse at ER and was quite critical of us afterwards iirc!

85 points in his first season ain't so bad though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I get the impression now that monk had no intention of looking at Leeds long term (other than if we got promoted), he set out to use the opportunity as a leg up when no one else was knocking his door down

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I get the impression now that monk had no intention of looking at Leeds long term (other than if we got promoted), he set out to use the opportunity as a leg up when no one else was knocking his door down

He was hardly using Leeds as a step to get to a club at Boro's level though. It's not really going up the food chain that much, at Leeds there is at least the potential to rise high, Boro can dream of maybe another league cup to appease their...thousands...of fans around the world. Though in fairness, Boro destroy Leeds in one crucial aspect, and that's ownership, Gibson is a model chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

He was hardly using Leeds as a step to get to a club at Boro's level though. It's not really going up the food chain that much, at Leeds there is at least the potential to rise high, Boro can dream of maybe another league cup to appease their...thousands...of fans around the world. Though in fairness, Boro destroy Leeds in one crucial aspect, and that's ownership, Gibson is a model chairman.

Boro have just come down from the prem, they have championship-to-premiership players and parachute payments to spend to get promoted again. We dragged out heels on providing a three​ year deal, probably wouldn't commit as much to transfers as he'd like and are introducing a director of football who would take some control away from monk.

Can't blame the guy for walking despite how much I dislike putting him in that position

Saw yesterday that Daryl Murphy isn't wanted at Newcastle despite having another year on this contract. Think he'd be a great back-up to Wood with similar style and he had goals in him at our level for sure. Whether he wants to be a super-sub is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭jacool

Ranieri to Nantes - ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭jacool

latest odds: 15/8 sanchez, 3/1 pardew, 7/2 sanchez flores, 9/2 stam, 8/1 clotet

Only one of those that looks anyway positive would be Flores as he did a decent job at Watford and from what I remember they played a nice brand of football.

I can't help but feel that the reporting structure into the new director of football will inhibit some of the English managers taking up the position - I'd have a personal preference of Grayson or Nigel Pearson tbh, but I've a feeling we'll get a continental coach

Sanchez got sacked 3 times within a year! That's gotta be some kind of record.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I can't help but feel that the reporting structure into the new director of football will inhibit some of the English managers taking up the position - I'd have a personal preference of Grayson or Nigel Pearson tbh, but I've a feeling we'll get a continental coach

I'd agree that a foreign coach is the most likely due to any decent english managers not wanting to work under a director of football.

Could do with getting someone in soon though, good few players available at the moment so it would be great to have a new manager in place so he can make some signings.

Need a couple of center halfs badly and another striker.

kfrp wrote: »
    I'd agree that a foreign coach is the most likely due to any decent english managers not wanting to work under a director of football.

Could do with getting someone in soon though, good few players available at the moment so it would be great to have a new manager in place so he can make some signings.

Need a couple of center halfs badly and another striker.

Yeah this'll be the 4th pre season in a row that we've to find a coach/manager prior to getting ourselves up and ready in the transfer market for the season ahead - it's hard to quantify how that uncertainty works itself into points - but we must be hobbled between 6-10 points - even last year under Monk we didn't pull up trees early on

I think its important to hit the ground running for us to have a chance of promotion this year.

Could really see us being mid table again though.

No manager as of yet so its hard to see what kind of a pre-season we could have as the new manager won't have had a chance to have their say.

Hard to see Wood scoring as many next year too if hes still with Leeds and no back-ups at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

Sanchez got sacked 3 times within a year! That's gotta be some kind of record.

You do realise our record of manager's under Cellnio?

• Advertisement

Checking twitter every two hours for news on Leeds next manager like...

2015-02-25-joelmchalethrowingphone.gif

Fernando Hierro latest favourite as he quit job at 2nd division Real Oviedo. He may have been let go though as 8th place finish wasn't great. Possible he is a link in chain as he could replace Sanchez Flores at Espanyol and he comes to us. All random speculation. Any Spanish or Real Madrid linked managers seem to be linked to us no matter if they are actually any use. Praying Radz has an ace up his sleeve but the silence and wait is pure torture!

kfrp wrote: »

No manager as of yet so its hard to see what kind of a pre-season we could have as the new manager won't have had a chance to have their say.

This is so annoying - I've probably said this before but it is years since they've had a normal pre-season. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

I still suspect that they're after someone in employment and its negotiating a settlement that is holding things up

I would certainly prefer someone already in employment. I can never understand how some managers live off the back of a success at one stage of their careers. If you get sacked for being crap, but then get rewarded by getting re-employed. That sounds overly harsh but rarely has a failed manager somewhere suddenly become a world beater later on.

I would make allowances for Grayson since he lasted a long time at Leeds and it would appear that he operated with a small and tight budget and realistically, as I've said in the past many times, got average players to over perform - And I think he's done the same at Preston

championc wrote: »
    I would make allowances for Grayson since he lasted a long time at Leeds and it would appear that he operated with a small and tight budget and realistically, as I've said in the past many times, got average players to over perform - And I think he's done the same at Preston

Leeds actually finished 2 points nearer the Championship playoffs under Grayson than under Monk.

And scoring goals was never the issue for Grayson's teams iirc, it was the defence that was troubling

Imagine what he could do if the guts of this season's back five stick around (except Taylor obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

championc wrote: »
    If you get sacked for being crap, but then get rewarded by getting re-employed. That sounds overly harsh but rarely has a failed manager somewhere suddenly become a world beater later on.

Garry Monk?

It seems to me that Radrizzani was hoping that Monk would stay hence no quick appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

New manager to be announced today according to Radrizzani on twitter.

Coach-Mick-Mcarthy-Look-at-Camera-Smile.gif

Anyone guess as to who it is, betting still very open?

I'm hoping for someone with a proven track record but I won't at all be surprised if it is Clotet.

I'm hoping for someone with a proven track record but I won't at all be surprised if it is Clotet.

Ramos has went odds on.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juande_Ramos
    No guarantees its him though, big name but similar job record to Moyes recently

• Advertisement

Y2sf8KC.png

Everything pointing to Ramos at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The best part of this is he uses the word manager...

Foreign coach coming from abroad (so not Stam or Clotet) according to Phil Hay who seems to know exactly who it is. Said it's not Sanchez, Ramos, Flores, Hierro, Lopez or a couple of German names. Frank De Boer would be good move and name mentioned. Prob be a complete surprise tho given that every name linked by bookies has been ruled out.

According to Phil Hay just now
    EXCLUSIVE - Leeds United set to name former Barcelona striker and ex-APOEL boss Thomas Christiansen as new manager:
    http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/exclusive-leeds-united-whites-set-to-name-ex-apoel-boss-as-new-manager-1-8597151

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Who the fcuk is he? Not exactly what anyone was hoping for.

Never heard of the chap so can't really comment but his stint at Apoel sounds promising enough, just strange that they chose not to renew his contract there!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

I do like the term manager and he is young and hungry with no ego. Hopefully he gets as much of a pre-season in as possible and adds a few bodies to the roster.

Well, that was unexpected, but let's see I guess. Maybe we'll be surprised :/

Underwhelming.

His record last year is better than decent, but how does the Cypriot league compare to the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Awful appointment , AR has spoofed , he's basically hired a yes man that will have no say on Transfers , basically working under Victor Orta.

Of course i hope im wrong and will gladly eat humble pie, but i've been saying that a lot over the last few years.

I wonder what odds you'll get on him sacked by christmas??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement