Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumors, Gossip, Transfers etc 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

It seems half the players in the league aren't allowed play on the first day of the season so guys like Keith Fahey cant play in what should be a curtain opening show off what's good about the league Dublin Derby because he picked up too many cards last fecking season!

Even worse, in Fahy's case (afaik) it's not that he was booked something like 5 times in the last 10 games, he picked up something like 4 or 5 cards in ALL of last season. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Even worse, in Fahy's case (afaik) it's not that he was booked something like 5 times in the last 10 games, he picked up something like 4 or 5 cards in ALL of last season. Ridiculous!

Every year this thing is brought up on forums and by journalist, yet every year nothing changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The whole thing is a mess and a farce. We have Cabinteely joining the first division 3 weeks before the league kicks off.

#MostAccomodatingLeagueInTheWorld
    Even with them joining the first division only has 8 teams.

#GreatestFirstDivisionInTheWorld
    Bray only finding out today that they can play in it.

#MostUnpredictableLeagueInTheWorld
    Limerick don't know where they will be playing their games

#MostMysteriousLeagueInTheWorld
    It seems half the players in the league aren't allowed play on the first day of the season so guys like Keith Fahey cant play.

#GreatestLeagueInTheWorld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

dfx- wrote: »
    Though if you went with a tooth comb through most finances in the league, I wonder what you'd find..
    I imagine you'd find your tooth comb would get stuck in ****e pretty damn quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Someone else's pitch and a set of jerseys.

Fixed your post, if you were referring to Portacabinteely :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Season starts in less than 2 weeks, still no idea of the location, day or time of our first fixture :p

Apparently Limerick could be playing their first few fixtures in Galway? No idea if this is even slightly true though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm all up for that happening, although I can't see it...but then again, it'd be a choice between Terryland and Turner's Cross if they were to play in the closest home ground, wouldn't it be?

I'm all up for that happening, although I can't see it...but then again, it'd be a choice between Terryland and Turner's Cross if they were to play in the closest home ground, wouldn't it be?

Nearest LOI grounds yeah, not necessarily limited to them though (Obviously Thomand could be an option). Maybe the GAA will help them out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I don't know how that would work, as bad as their support is now I cant see the majority of their fans traveling an hour+ to go and see them.

Is the grey hound stadium a goer at all? I have no idea myself it just came up when I did a google search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't know how that would work, as bad as their support is now I cant see the majority of their fans traveling an hour+ to go and see them.

Is the grey hound stadium a goer at all? I have no idea myself it just came up when I did a google search.

I doubt it. Not with the Connacht rugby games on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Limerick County board having a vote on Saturday to see if they'll allow the Gaelic Grounds to be opened up to other sports. Limerick to play at the Gaelic Grounds???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I doubt it. Not with the Connacht rugby games on anyway.

Think he meant the greyhound stadium in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

right, that would certainly make more sense! :o

Haha ya that is what I meant.

CHealy wrote: »
    Limerick County board having a vote on Saturday to see if they'll allow the Gaelic Grounds to be opened up to other sports. Limerick to play at the Gaelic Grounds???
    Sure feck it, have them play at Croker so they can set a new world record for the number of empty seats at a football match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

Under current rules only Croke Park can be used for other sports. There's a motion before congress to allow for all county boards to be opened up to other sports which should be passed as the GAA are supportive of the rugby world cup bid.

No point in the Limerick County Board having a vote until the rule is changed

I heard that meeting has nothing to do with opening up the Gaelic grounds, its about hurling 20/20 - the plan for developing hurling.

I understand that Limerick need a ground and as a LOI fan I would love to see them doing well and getting the crowds in but it shouldn't be in the Gaelic ground, Thomand Park or any other ground that is way above their needs.

The Market fields redevelopment wasn't managed well at all. It was well known long before the official announcement that it wasn't going to be ready. People go on about the FAI and their bad management of the league and a lot of that is warranted but clubs have to grow a pair and sort their houses out. At the minute Limerick don't even have one!

Can anyone tell me what the story is with Jackman park? is it not a possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As Bray seem to be more active on social media, I've read that they are updating parts of the ground. Were installing a new PA system, getting a club shop in (hopefully a permanent structure). The main hope is that the jax are fixed up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Limerick FC have just announced on Twitter that they've secured The Jacks for their Bohs game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

Limerick FC ‏@LimerickFCie 8m8 minutes ago

Limerick FC are delighted to announce that we have tonight secured Jackman Park as a home venue for our forthcoming games #loi

• Advertisement

Limerick FC have just announced on Twitter that they've secured The Jacks for their Bohs game.

Ahhhh crisis over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good to hear for Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

howiya wrote: »

Limerick FC are delighted to announce that we have tonight secured Jackman Park as a home venue for our forthcoming games #loi

It should be #lol really. In the odd decade and a half I've followed the club I've never been so unenthusiastic about a season beginning... :(

howiya wrote: »

Now does anyone have a lend of a ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

djpbarry wrote: »
    Now does anyone have a lend of a ball?

Speaking of which the new ball is somehow worse than last seasons.

Like something you would buy at the beach.

Anyone have a magnifying glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hilarious that Jackman Park is allowed, place barely meets First Division standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

This league is a f*cking joke.

dan1895 wrote: »
    This league is a f*cking joke.

I think you'll find it's the greatest league in the world. Don't make me use the hashtag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I sort of like Jackman Park, of course the standards are shocking there, but for actually watching a match standing on the slope there it felt like a good day out watching football. Maybe just me.

• Advertisement

With the squad they have and this pricking about with grounds its difficult to see Limerick doing anything other than finishing bottom of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Corholio wrote: »
    I sort of like Jackman Park, of course the standards are shocking there, but for actually watching a match standing on the slope there it felt like a good day out watching football. Maybe just me.

The place is an absolute dump.

And it mustn't have been raining when you were there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'd take it ahead of the new Lansdowne rd (Funeral parlour). Any day. Rain and all. Put the wet gear on and im happy out.
    I don't go to games to sit in "comfort". I go to watch the matches and feel part of the match. I'm far more likely to be entertained and interact with similar types at a Jackman park type venue. As opposed to paying for an overpriced ticket and been annoyed by event heads who sit and "catch up" during a match, in between going out to queue for their plastic cup full of bad beer or coffee.
    Best league in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

So it's official then. No striker coming in to replace Hoban. Over to you David.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Eo8f5N-ioWt6ltSBwCwDqMi1_x3qLk6nmYncjcjJUo-N7g1x

It's time to step up.

In fairness to McMillan he's earned his shot. Was great for us last year even though he was generally coming in off the subs bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hilarious that Jackman Park is allowed, place barely meets First Division standards.

Its not even First Division standard.

The only thing going for it is its next to Bus and Train station. Its a kip of area but 10 min walk into City Centre.

How a pitch like this is getting the go ahead I'm not sure.

Its not even First Division standard.

The only thing going for it is its next to Bus and Train station. Its a kip of area but 10 min walk into City Centre.

How a pitch like this is getting the go ahead I'm not sure.

Id say the only reason its getting the go ahead is because it a temporary ground and Markets field will be ready by May. Anyone have any recent pictures of where the work is at?

Is that why Limerick are going on about being great and pushing KO forward so people can get the train? Except for the whole thing where the last train going anywhere except Dublin is at 7.45...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Is that why Limerick are going on about being great and pushing KO forward so people can get the train? Except for the whole thing where the last train going anywhere except Dublin is at 7.45...

8.45 is last train and expect a good Bohs crowd to make the trip as a result of this

major bill wrote: »
    8.45 is last train and expect a good Bohs crowd to make the trip as a result of this

That's why I said going anywhere EXCEPT Dublin. I was considering going down, but getting from Jackman to the citylink bus stop in fifteen minutes is tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd take it ahead of the new Lansdowne rd (Funeral parlour). Any day. Rain and all. Put the wet gear on and im happy out.
    I don't go to games to sit in "comfort". I go to watch the matches and feel part of the match. I'm far more likely to be entertained and interact with similar types at a Jackman park type venue. As opposed to paying for an overpriced ticket and been annoyed by event heads who sit and "catch up" during a match, in between going out to queue for their plastic cup full of bad beer or coffee.
    Best league in the world.

Sorry but this is balls.

I am a big advocate of LoI football, but as someone who has to go to the kip that is the Brandywell every second week and put up with 3rd world facilities, I think that football fans can expect to get some small level of comfort when paying to attend matches.

I don't go along with this old skool logic that footballs better when ou're standing in the rain like the 50s. No its not. The league has a hard enough task trying to get people through the turnstiles, but with poor facilities you have no chance. There are too many good things in the entertainment/leisure world to spend your hard-earned on these days, so LoI football will be well down the list if they don't make it attractive to fans.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry but this is balls.

I am a big advocate of LoI football, but as someone who has to go to the kip that is the Brandywell every second week and put up with 3rd world facilities, I think that football fans can expect to get some small level of comfort when paying to attend matches.

I don't go along with this old skool logic that footballs better when ou're standing in the rain like the 50s. No its not. The league has a hard enough task trying to get people through the turnstiles, but with poor facilities you have no chance. There are too many good things in the entertainment/leisure world to spend your hard-earned on these days, so LoI football will be well down the list if they don't make it attractive to fans.

Bang on, I couldn't agree with this more. I love going to watch Rovers (the real ones!) play in the Showgrounds. It has good facilities and I don't feel like i`m wasting my money when I part with E15 at the turnstiles. If I had the option of going to a run down Dalymount, Tolka or wherever I think that E15 would be staying in my pocket. You can call me a sunshine boy or whatever else you want but that's the mentality most people are operating with. The league standard is somewhere around Conference level for the most part, top sides maybe league 2 so there has to be a pleasant match day environment to attract people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I see some premiership fans trying to hijack our hashtag tonight, the hoorbags.

Keep the tweets to the hashtag #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld, follows for https://twitter.com/GLITW and likes, shares and posts to https://www.facebook.com/GreatestLeagueIntheWorld2015 coming folks. Especially stuff about the great community programmes clubs are involved in. And funny stuff too obviously.

Please make an effort to tweet using the hashtag on March 6th in an effort to get it trending and build towards the league kick off.

Also in terms of the jersey day- for this year we'll just go with everyone wearing their shirts for as much of the day as possible on the day of their club's first home game.

Some great stuff posted already.

The league standard is somewhere around Conference level for the most part...
    It really isn't. Trust me, I've been to Conference games - the LOI is a higher standard without a shadow of a doubt. In the Conference (and even League 2 to some extent), they just kick lumps out of each other. Probably because a lot of the pitches are in a shocking state, especially this time of year, so trying to play proper football is often next to impossible.

Mr_A wrote: »
    I see some premiership fans trying to hijack our hashtag tonight, the hoorbags.

Keep the tweets to the hashtag #GreatestLeagueInTheWorld, follows for https://twitter.com/GLITW and likes, shares and posts to https://www.facebook.com/GreatestLeagueIntheWorld2015 coming folks. Especially stuff about the great community programmes clubs are involved in. And funny stuff too obviously.

Please make an effort to tweet using the hashtag on March 6th in an effort to get it trending and build towards the league kick off.

Also in terms of the jersey day- for this year we'll just go with everyone wearing their shirts for as much of the day as possible on the day of their club's first home game.

Some great stuff posted already.

The hashtag is embarrassing.

Is it not possible for LoI fans to live in the real world?

Why not #OurLeague or watch #WatchLocal instead of total nonsense?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

djpbarry wrote: »
    It really isn't. Trust me, I've been to Conference games - the LOI is a higher standard without a shadow of a doubt. In the Conference (and even League 2 to some extent), they just kick lumps out of each other. Probably because a lot of the pitches are in a shocking state, especially this time of year, so trying to play proper football is often next to impossible.

I was at a league one match a couple of weeks ago and I would say the standard was LOIish.

You don't do irony, do you?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Embarrassing? Get real man, its only poking a bit of humour at ourselves.

Embarrassing? Get real man, its only poking a bit of humour at ourselves.

Except not everybody uses it that way or sees it that way.

#GreatestHashTagInTheWorld

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Except not everybody uses it that way or sees it that way.

inpho_00804848.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I can safely say that not even the most ardent LOI fan considers this league the best! The hashtag is used in a self deprecating manner for the most part. All the weirdness and quirks that you wouldn't get in most other top flights. It's all a laugh but we do love it all the same.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement