Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank of Ireland - CH4 10pm All episodes on All4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Tandey

Watched a few episodes last night and thought it was a good laugh.

Light hearted and witty comedy set in Ireland which isn’t a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

When the actress in the play went to tie her shoelace.... awesome stunt :)

I didn’t enjoy Brendan at all

Ned deneghy is a great Irish actor and he wasn’t really put to use at all , enjoyed the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Damn, I wanted this to be good .... looks utter s**te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭adaminho

Nothing amazing but not the worst either. The weirdest thing was seeing Pat Shortts arse as he's a regular in the Pub I work in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I don’t know how to explain this one

I genuinely laughed out loud at some bits but it was so incredibly ****e at the same time

Rfrip wrote: »

I genuinely laughed out loud at some bits but it was so incredibly ****e at the same time

Think that’s the idea ? :)

EPs be with you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Rfrip wrote: »

A fair assessment. Unfortunately not enough LOL moments to save it from the shìte

Basq wrote: »
    I'm watching it now.. such a talented cast absolutely wasted! :(

EDIT: 11 minutes, 11 seconds.. that's how long I made it into the first episode. Embarrassing!

4 minutes more than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I had a look back at the Love/Hate debut thread from 2010. Lots of people saying it was crap. Haven't seen Frank of Ireland, but careful not to fall into the same trap!

I had a look back at the Love/Hate debut thread from 2010. Lots of people saying it was crap. Haven't seen Frank of Ireland, but careful not to fall into the same trap!

I enjoyed it very much (foi) and anyone I recommend it to seemed the same , just got getting the representation in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I enjoyed it very much (foi) and anyone I recommend it to seemed the same , just got getting the representation in this thread :)

I recommended it to a lot of my friends, they sat down to watch last night with their partners. Few choice words coming back to me, they copped I was winding them up within 10 mins. Don't think anyone got past 2 episodes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I was thinking the church was in Kinsealy.
    It's at Deerpark in Howth...
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/bquH9ZkkeWsZtj6Z9

FWIW I watched the first episode and thought it was very silly/immature humour but enjoyed it nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Deeec

The idea is good - a 30 something failure in life still living at home with his mammy. It could have been really good. Instead they made the characters of Frank, Doofus and Mary so silly that its unrealistic. For a comedy like this to be funny people have to be able to identify with the characters - not many people could relate to being like Frank, Doofus or Mary. Every scene that could be funny is overdone which makes it ridiculous and unfunny ( Like the funeral scene ).

It was like a comedy a group of 11 year olds would write and act. Its a petty - the Gleesons had a great opportunity here but failed. Nobody I know has anything positive to say about Frank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Deeec wrote: »
    The idea is good - a 30 something failure in life still living at home with his mammy. It could have been really good. Instead they made the characters of Frank, Doofus and Mary so silly that its unrealistic. For a comedy like this to be funny people have to be able to identify with the characters - not many people could relate to being like Frank, Doofus or Mary. Every scene that could be funny is overdone which makes it ridiculous and unfunny ( Like the funeral scene ).

It was like a comedy a group of 11 year olds would write and act. Its a petty - the Gleesons had a great opportunity here but failed. Nobody I know has anything positive to say about Frank of Ireland.

Agree fully , it had great potential but its so forced and over acted and the Comedy is just stupid .
    How the Gleesons looked at a script like that and taught it was a good idea i don’t know .
    Doofus character is just plain bizarre , the whole lot is so far from Reality .. I honestly don’t know how a group of established writers and actors taught this would work .

harr wrote: »
    Agree fully , it had great potential but its so forced and over acted and the Comedy is just stupid .
    How the Gleesons looked at a script like that and taught it was a good idea i don’t know .
    Doofus character is just plain bizarre , the whole lot is so far from Reality .. I honestly don’t know how a group of established writers and actors taught this would work .

Yep....you gotta ask....." why didn't it work???"

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

harr wrote: »
    Oh, it's worse than that..

Screenshot-20210418-122511.png

I'd go as far as saying its actually WORSE that ' eamon & Bridget'..... and that had set a new low for rte so- called " comedy"

It is what it is though, you can’t say it could have been this or that ...this is what it was meant to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭ooter

I've got through 4 episodes and it certainly won't win any awards but it's by no means the worst thing I've ever watched.
    Brendan gleeson makes an appearance apparently but I haven't seen him yet.

I get the impression peoples expectations lay somewhere in the series tv comedy zone. Reading some international user comments that are more favourable but some Irish style names adding absolute hatred into the mix :)

I will say the critical reviews are poor

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I get the impression peoples expectations lay somewhere in the series tv comedy zone
    :confused:

As opposed to what?

Basq wrote: »
    :confused:

As opposed to what?

Not serious comedy zone (oops spotted spell check mistake in previous post )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'd safely say with absolute certainty, this show will not be recognised as good, ever. It'll be forgotten about as the massive fail that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

I get the impression peoples expectations lay somewhere in the series tv comedy zone. Reading some international user comments that are more favourable but some Irish style names adding absolute hatred into the mix :)

I will say the critical reviews are poor

Unfortunately it’s a laugh free zone, and I do think the Gleesons are talented actors, maybe this just shows their strength is not in script writing.

trashcan wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s a laugh free zone, and I do think the Gleesons are talented actors, maybe this just shows their strength is not in script writing.

I’ve liked domhnails comedy though over years

trashcan wrote: »

It’s not a laugh free zone though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Deeec

I would imagine the only people who find it funny are teenage boys. It's juvenile humour.

• Advertisement

Deeec wrote: »
    I would imagine the only people who find it funny are teenage boys. It's juvenile humour.

Cheers

Advertisement