Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Season 11 [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 30-09-2018 12:55pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Starts next week, Sunday October 7

Thought I'd start a new thread for it, given the previous one was mostly about the speculation / discussion on the casting of Jodie Whittaker. Divorcing the chatter around her casting, from what I've seen in clips so far, I think Whittaker is going to win over a lot of people with her performance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

6:45 on BBC 1.

Looking forward to it.

So this season brings us up to December with just a couple weeks then to the Christmas special.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Doctor Who meets Predator, I like it :D

Quite liked that. The chemistry among the group is good, promising for the series ahead. Jodie Whittaker slipped pretty seamlessly into the role IMO, she has a bit of Eleven about her which I like. Another positive was that it was very, very pretty to look at - I wonder if Chibnall brought some of the Broadchurch production crew with him, I always loved how that show looked too.

I also loved that ending. Looking forward to next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Well one episode in and she is already better than Capaldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

meh

hope it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭8mv

It was OK. I'm predisposed to liking JW anyway - I've liked her in everything else I've seen that she's in. Bradley Walsh wasn't the disaster I expected and the young companions might grow on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭corkie

Strong Cast lined up for future episodes based on the ending roll call of characters.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

It was fine. Nothing special, nothing really to complain about either

Was pleasingly dark as well, given how early it aired

I guess the fact that it felt like a bog-standard New Doctor story is somewhat of a good thing, in that the Doctor being a woman wasn't really relevant, and wasn't focused on for longer than necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I liked it, she had the energy and enthusiasm of matt smith and david tennant. Liked the story, no stand out am a woman so there type moments. the upcoming actors seem to be heavily indian/pakistani origin so I hope that's not some lame attempt to be more diverse or PC.
    Overall looking forward to next week.

it did take me far too long to realise she was still wearing cap's outfit lol.

I would've liked more than "Does it suit me?" If I recall, the others all made digs at themselves.
    Wonder when she bought women's clothes before.

I'm guessing for that ending that
    the TARDIS will materialise around them?

As for the upcoming cast, maybe it shows how little British tv I watch, but I recognised very few of the actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought Jodie was excellent and has just that right amount of mad (wo)man with(out for the moment) a box for The Doctor.
    The story itself however wasn't what I call the strongest, it felt like something from the spin offs rather than the main show.
    In my eyes "The Eleventh Hour" is the benchmark and this didn’t quite reach that high.
    The ending however took my breath away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed it, great intro to all the characters. Jodie Whittaker did a great job, one of the stronger post-regeneration debuts - up there with The Eleventh Hour for me, which has been my favourite introductory episode to date.

Was a big fan of Mandip Gill from when she was in Hollyoaks, so glad she's getting more mainstream exposure now as Yas. Tosin Cole was the only one of the new cast I wasn't very familiar with, but think he made a great impression. Great to have several companions back in the TARDIS again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, that was pretty Doctor Who. One of the better regen stories. Looking forward to seeing what's happened with the Tardis.

I'm loving the new, spacier alien sounding incidental music too. Definitely gives the show an old school flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

She definitely has that manic energy and the "I'm the doctor" bit was spot on. Must rewatch that bit.

What happened to the whole shadow proclamation bit. I know it would have killed off the episode but 11/12s regen definitely brought that up.could it not have been like i order you to stop.
    Or maybe 1 human trophy was too small scale

He said he was given permission by Ryan, so some sort of loophole granting him access to hunt on his grounds. At least that was my understanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fair enough!

Was the text backwards for anyone else?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Fair enough!

I meant to add, i appreciated the touch where all the writing was backwards. I assume because your man has dyspraxia. Even a car reg plate in one of the shots was backwards. And the file name on the pc

Speaking of, I thought we were going to have an uncomfortable moment where her regeneration energy healed him of it, instead we get that awful sad scene at the end of him on his bike. Good tv!

Sorry for the double post, but holy crap:

https://twitter.com/DrWhoSpace/status/1049217851993808896

No way it can keep that up, but what a strong opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Reminded me of the 11th Hour. Bit of a meh story. But I like her energy.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I liked the characters and the Doctor. All great

The bad guy was terrible, and more than a bit gross.
    The dialogue wasn't fantastic either. And I felt that Grace's death was tacked on and pointless. She would have been a great companion.

The story itself wasn't bad. And I liked the length of the episode.

All that said, I loved it and I want more right now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I haven't watched the last couple of series. Was there a reason that nobody initially believed in aliens? Has there been some sort of planet-wide reset/mindwipe? I mean this is the planet that in the last decade or so has been inundated with alien events that everyone on earth would have been aware of. The Christmas invasion, the time the whole planet was moved to another part of space and the Daleks invaded. Ryan and Yas are both young enough to have been taken over by the 456 along with every other child on the planet. There was that period of a few months where death was suspended. The time aeroplanes hovered in the sky, etc.

I know they eventually started to say aliens don't come to Sheffield, rather than don't exist. But there were lots of planet wide events that would have effected Sheffield enough for that to be nonsense. And Britain has been central to most of the events, so I just don't see it as having fit with the overall acceptance of aliens that was fairly widespread last time I watched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Previous doctors all gave said that people kinda purposefully ignore them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed the episode. Wasn't particularly great or wonderful, but there was enough there to keep me interested in the rest of the series. I thought JW did well, but we didn't get to see enough of what sort of Doctor she is, which in fairness is how most Doctors' first episodes go (except Capaldi, who completely nailed his character from the first episode).

The companions were okay, bit hard to judge them again due to first episode and there being three of them.

A solid start, if fairly unremarkable. But if it carried on like that, I'd still be happy enough.

My memory has gone to hell lately, but wasn't there something in the Smith era where humanity was made to forget basically the entire Davies era of alien invasions?

I seem to recall giant Cybermen in specific being brought up.

EDIT:

Ahah, thank you Tardis Wiki:

It was later revealed that this event was not remembered by the people that witnessed it due to the cracks in time, which had erased events such as this from history. (TV: Flesh and Stone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Yeah supposedly the Cracks In Time erased memory of the giant Cyberking in Victorian London, and implied it erased other things

Basically a retcon device to conveniently forget some things but remember others

Or humans are idiots and forget things, as has been another excuse to ignore previous events

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Loved the episode. Jodie really nails it as the doctor so far. At times you could hear little elements of both david tennant and matt smith so that was excellent.

Would like to have seen her find the tardis a little bit earlier (probably going to happen in the next episode) but how or never.

Thought that alien was an Ice Warrior at first.

Overall, great episode and well done to all.

Now for the rest of the season.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was brilliant. Haven't watched DW for three years because Capaldi annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm back in now, I thought that was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really enjoyed it!

Thought Whittaker was great – fit into the role perfectly. Love the new style, tone, and pace so far.

Top marks. Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Maybe it's just me but we've had three Regen stories in a row now where The Doctor is readjusting and acting all goofy, forgetting words, etc and the first of those three (Eleventh Hour) was by far the best. I know they do it to fill new viewers in but surely there are other ways or they don't have to go so over the top. It's a minor quibble, I really liked Jodie and the rest of the cast. The episode was fairly meh but first episode usually are.

Funny how nobody outside the main characters cared about a train being attacked by an alien.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but we've had three Regen stories in a row now where The Doctor is readjusting and acting all goofy, forgetting words, etc and the first of those three (Eleventh Hour) was by far the best. I know they do it to fill new viewers in but surely there are other ways or they don't have to go so over the top. It's a minor quibble, I really liked Jodie and the rest of the cast. The episode was fairly meh but first episode usually are.

Funny how nobody outside the main characters cared about a train being attacked by an alien.

Been going on a little longer than that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boilerplate "regeneration" story. Good but always feel like box ticking; they could really do with mixing the formula up a little, though it also functioned as a nice jumping on point for anyone looking to start on the show.

Whittaker was great, particularly once she started manifesting the character beyond the initial scatterbrain confusion.

The direction and cinematography was also great; ditto the new, grungy synth score. No confusing this with Murray Gold, that's for sure. Was great to hear the titles finally harking back to the original Delia Derbyshire arrangement.

The ending was a real gut punch though; Moffat could go dark, but more like a grimm fairytale - wasn't expecting Chibnell to finish with a downbeat kitchen sink moment. Kudos to Bradley Walsh for selling the scene.

Advertisement