Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Midwife

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Had it recorded so stayed out of this thread. Only saw it today. Really sad. Phyllis broke my heart xx

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My weekly bawl is coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

amdublin wrote: »
    My weekly bawl is coming up

Oh my goodness that ending was so sad . I cried buckets over Barbaras photos on the merrygoround

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh my goodness that ending was so sad . I cried buckets over Barbaras photos on the merrygoround

BUCKETS

Why does each series seem so short. So sad. Anyone know why she left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Dovies wrote: »
    Why does each series seem so short. So sad. Anyone know why she left?

She died :confused:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

The eighth season starts next Sunday January 13th on BBC1 at 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Yesssss Season 7 is now on Netflix, in case anyone is interested!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Binged it at the weekend. I realised that I'd gotten as far as season 5 so I had two seasons to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The ninth season of Call The Midwife will premiere on BBC One on Sunday January 5th at 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Failed to record on my sky box when I was away. Can’t find a repeat, is there anywhere I can catch it without waiting for the box set of the upcoming series?

The Christmas special is currently on BBC 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not sure if it the social distancing or the HD quality picture thats annoying me a bit...more the HD i think...Been rewatching the old episodes (again) on Drama and i find it softer and cosier to watch..if that makes sense..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

brian_t wrote: »
    Call The Midwife (10th series) starts on BBC 1 on Sunday 18th April at 8pm

It's followed immediately after by a repeat of Call the Midwife: The Casebook on BBC4.
    Documentary in which Stephen McGann, who plays Dr Patrick Turner in drama series Call the Midwife, explores the social and medical changes that took place in the 1950s and 60s relating to childbirth.

Along the way, Stephen meets midwives, nuns and doctors who helped deliver babies during the period.

As well as archive footage and expert interviews, the programme features clips from past editions of Call the Midwife, footage of the new sixth series and an interview with creator and writer Heidi Thomas.

Can't wait for this to start again. I have been watching it from the very beginning. I wonder how and if they are going to continue it as they move through the 60's and into the era of hospitals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Can't wait for this to start again. I have been watching it from the very beginning. I wonder how and if they are going to continue it as they move through the 60's and into the era of hospitals etc.

You can already see in the last (maybe even last two?) seasons how things were changing with the advent of the pill and also women being encouraged to give birth in hospitals - in the early seasons they were always short staffed, whereas later on they're concerned about being able to stay open.

I know the later ones are written with hindsight, but still, the comment from Nurse Crane that this idea of making women in labour travel to hospital was going to lead to babies being born along the roadside was a very good point that nobody even really thinks of these days, because we don't even question the fact of giving birth in hospital now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I seem to remember hearing recently that they have started filming a new series of Call the midwife. I loved that show and was so sad that it ended. I even had a whole storyline for trixy to find love again. Does anyone know if this is being aired soon???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

gubby wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing recently that they have started filming a new series of Call the midwife. I loved that show and was so sad that it ended. I even had a whole storyline for trixy to find love again. Does anyone know if this is being aired soon???

Season 10 started on Sunday night last, on BBC1 at 8 p.m.

Season 10 started on Sunday night last, on BBC1 at 8 p.m.

Again it got me teary eyed :( that opener

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

will it be on netflix

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Again it got me teary eyed :( that opener

Yes, it was very sad. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That was so sad. And very well done- the young nun's reaction was very human and very real.

Series 1-8 are on Netflix UK, so I'd assume we're talking at least a year before they will show series 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Gah! I missed the first episode. Thanks for the heads up!

Emerald Fennell who played Patsy in Call the Midwife is up for Academy Awards tonight for Promising Young Woman, her directorial debut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Posy wrote: »
    That was so sad. And very well done- the young nun's reaction was very human and very real.

Series 1-8 are on Netflix UK, so I'd assume we're talking at least a year before they will show series 10.

Is there any other way ( safe stream )to see last weeks episode 6

A special on BBC1 tonight at 9, look back I think

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A special on BBC1 tonight at 9, look back I think

It was brilliant , I loved it . I have watched from day one and laughed and cried with them through all those years

A nice happy Christmas episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

A nice happy Christmas episode

Did you happen to catch the announcement at the end about when the next series is due to start? I was interrupted when it the announcement was getting made & missed hearing it

Advertisement