Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling In The Years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Next weeks music, I'll guess:

We Take Care Of Our Own - Bruce Springsteen
    Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepson
    Some Rihanna, she was ubiquitous at the time
    Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
    Ho Hey - Lumineers

Gangnam Style

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I cringe so badly every time I hear Mary McAleese say wow when the Queen says her token Irish.

I cringe so badly every time I hear Mary McAleese say wow when the Queen says her token Irish.

And then the queen just stands there waiting for the applause to stop like "Doesn't take much to impress you lot, does it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

She was talking about this recently in an intervew. It was her idea but didn't go down too well, she thought. So she was quite surprised when the Queen did it in the end becuase she wasn't told in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

2012 should be interesting with the revelations about Jimmy Saville and Operation Yewtree.

you can't fit in everything but you can devote less time to the recession and presidential campaign to fit it more.

The recession was the biggest thing to happen to us up until this next one after the pandemic and we’re still paying for it (usc). Cut that down for Amy Winehouse? When you consider other entertainment deaths that have been left out, she wouldn’t even have been close to consideration.

AllForIt wrote: »
    She was talking about this recently in an intervew. It was her idea but didn't go down too well, she thought. So she was quite surprised when the Queen did it in the end becuase she wasn't told in advance.

So it wasn’t even their idea? Surely there is only significance if it had been said spontaneously? It’s not as if the British have refused to recognise the Irish language (they’ve long called our country Eire, much to our chagrin).

I think what irritates me the most is that I don’t believe McAleese was actually wowed. It felt performative, which I think is confirmed if she’d suggested it in advance, even if she wasn’t entirely expecting it. Was she saying wow because of its significance or because they’d taken her suggestion?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So it wasn’t even their idea? Surely there is only significance if it had been said spontaneously? It’s not as if the British have refused to recognise the Irish language (they’ve long called our country Eire, much to our chagrin).

I think what irritates me the most is that I don’t believe McAleese was actually wowed. It felt performative, which I think is confirmed if she’d suggested it in advance, even if she wasn’t entirely expecting it. Was she saying wow because of its significance or because they’d taken her suggestion?!

Of course it was all planned. Tell em you love Guinness throw in the cupla focal and add in a picture of you with a hurley and the Paddys will go wild.
    Obama had the full card ticked off too

Nothing makes me more embarrassed for the country than when the crowd goes nuts at a gig because the performer takes a sip of Guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't intend to derail the thread either but I thought there was no need for the comment and I will always call out anyone making cowardly comments about women. I may not agree with her political views but it's challenging enough attracting females into politics without having to be judged on appearance also.

I'll leave it there too.

Is this is in relation to somebody saying Mary Lou has gotten fat?
    Thats just a fact.
    Not a massive talking point just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,825 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was doing my Leaving Cert in 2011 and I remember people posting in Facebook how 2011 was going to be some episode of Reeling in the Years with the Plane Crash, Queen and Obama visits and then Bin Laden dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how would it be spontaneous ? not sure the queen has much irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭its_steve116

No it wasn`t.

Nirvana have never been played or mentioned in the show at all. Nor have Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains or any of the 90s grunge bands.

Nirvana have never been played or mentioned in the show at all. Nor have Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains or any of the 90s grunge bands.

I dont think the music was ever as good as people remember in their heads on RITY

I remember lots Dana, Big Tom and other such nonsense. There were good songs in there but plenty of crap too

12 moments that didn't make it into RTE's latest episode of Reeling in the Years (Irish Mirror)

Forgot about Jedward. They actually had the best result at Eurovision since Marc Roberts (?!) came second in 1997, and would have livened up the episode. It's quirky stuff like that that I thought was missing and would be of interest to audiences in decades to come. The song by Maverick Sabre (?!) could have made way for them.

I'm not so naive as to think that I could have done it better than the producers, but I did think there were unusual inclusions and exclusions, as well as excessive coverage of certain events. It's not exact, but I think five minutes was given to each of: the general election, the Queen/Obama visits, the recession, and the presidential election and inauguration. That to me is too much time. There should really only be one or two events that are given such focus.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    I dont think the music was ever as good as people remember in their heads on RITY.

The wikipedia page lists the music for each episode. The 90s certainly weren't up to much. 1999: Basement Jaxx, B*Witched, The Cardigans, Fat Boy Slim, Lauryn Hill, Ronan Keating, Britney Spears, Stereophonics, Westlife.

The wikipedia page lists the music for each episode. The 90s certainly weren't up to much. 1999: Basement Jaxx, B*Witched, The Cardigans, Fat Boy Slim, Lauryn Hill, Ronan Keating, Britney Spears, Stereophonics, Westlife.

Not a fan of Lauryn Hill but the song played is Ex-Factor and hr voice is excellent in it. Stereophonics is the only other thing I would listen to there

1988 is another real hit and miss from the "glory days"
    The Adventures, Aslan, Belinda Carlisle, Celine Dion, Enya, Whitney Houston, Bobby McFerrin, Kylie Minogue, Morrissey, Sinéad O'Connor, The Pogues, The Primitives, ROI Soccer Squad, U2.

Most years are like this in fairness despite what the old men are shouting at the clouds

• Advertisement

Bruce Springsteen has never been on the show either.

As for the 2011 episode, I'm disappointed "We Should Be Lovers" (Ireland's most played song on the radio in 2011) by RoySeven wasn't played. Also they didn't play Mr. Saxobeat either, that song was huge that summer.

Bruce Springsteen has never been on the show either.

As for the 2011 episode, I'm disappointed "We Should Be Lovers" (Ireland's most played song on the radio in 2011) by RoySeven wasn't played. Also they didn't play Mr. Saxobeat either, that song was huge that summer.

Springsteen was on the last episode.

As for the other 2 its not just about playing the most popular songs. The genius behind the shows best episodes and what makes it stand out from the chancers is that each song perfectly matched the mood and pace of what was on screen

Springsteen was on the last episode.
    Which song?

Which song?

I was sure I heard We take Care of Our Own but the internet tells me I am wrong. Maybe next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well in realtity these things are always choreographed, mostly to avoid any mistake that could possibly ruin it all. A faux pas or someting.
    From the interview I heard she seemed genuine to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Still ticked off at Sunday's episode, badly researched

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Still ticked off at Sunday's episode, badly researched

It was a tad disappointing I nearly think the Virgin Media/TV3 version Don't look back in anger was nearly better.

It was a tad disappointing I nearly think the Virgin Media/TV3 version Don't look back in anger was nearly better.

You're just being ridiculous now

You're just being ridiculous now

Strangely enough I had a fair idea you were going to reply to that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

An extension even to 40/45 minutes per episode would do wonders for RITY.

If you look back at 2011, there was a hell of a lot going on.
    At home, you had the Government collapse and an election, the economy in tatters, mass unemployment, fallout from the bailouts, a Presidential election, the Queen and the Obama visits, etc.
    Abroad you had events like Greece in financial meltdown, the more widespread EU financial crisis, devastating Earthquakes and a tsunami, the Arab spring and lots more.

There are certain "stock" sporting moments they always feature every episode, which just eat up time imo.
    Like I get the relevance of including the 2011 AI Football Final, it was Dublin's first win in over 15 years. And it came against Kerry.

But did the episode really need footage of another Kilkenny win in a Hurling final? Only citing that one as an example (nothing against either Kilkenny and Tipp).

Zeek12 wrote: »
    An extension even to 40/45 minutes per episode would do wonders for RITY.

If you look back at 2011, there was a hell of a lot going on.
    At home, you had the Government collapse and an election, the economy in tatters, mass unemployment, fallout from the bailouts, a Presidential election, the Queen and the Obama visits, etc.
    Abroad you had events like Greece in financial meltdown, the more widespread EU financial crisis, devastating Earthquakes and a tsunami, the Arab spring and lots more.

There are certain "stock" sporting moments they always feature every episode, which just eat up time imo.
    Like I get the relevance of including the 2011 AI Football Final, it was Dublin's first win in over 15 years. And it came against Kerry.

But did the episode really need footage of another Kilkenny win in a Hurling final? Only citing that one as an example (nothing against either Kilkenny and Tipp).

true

Like Leinsters come back to win the Heineken Cup was great but we had prob had our best Rugby World Cup performance that year and it was not mentioned. As well as the soccer team who qualified for the Euros

They’ll cover the whole Euros thing in 2012 when the tournament happened.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    true

Like Leinsters come back to win the Heineken Cup was great but we had prob had our best Rugby World Cup performance that year and it was not mentioned. As well as the soccer team who qualified for the Euros

Or best rugby world cup was still crap though. I would agree if it was something we didn't automatically qualify for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jojofizzio wrote: »
    The “Beast” getting stuck!!LOL

Somebody should have been fired for that. There's no excuse for not knowing the maximum angle that it can work at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Somebody should have been fired for that. There's no excuse for not knowing the maximum angle that it can work at.

The yanks were probably using Imperial measurements and the Irish metric and something got lost in translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What actually happened? Looks like the front suspension collapsed.

The episode played music over the clip. It’s not nearly as striking without the sound of metal.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

I find it surprising how calm everyone is. I assumed that the Presidents car being incapacitated would lead to secret service guys running all over the place guns ready

Apparently it was the decoy/back-up limo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Was disappointed with that episode too many talking heads election campaigning etc. Seriously could have cut down the time spent on them and went with a bit more of the international stuff.
    Thought maybe avicii could have gotten a spin. Wasn’t levels released in 2011? No mention of Brian lenehan dying either.

Let's hope 2012 will be better

After all it was supposed to end of civilization

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

20silkcut wrote: »
    Was disappointed with that episode too many talking heads election campaigning etc. Seriously could have cut down the time spent on them and went with a bit more of the international stuff.
    Thought maybe avicii could have gotten a spin. Wasn’t levels released in 2011? No mention of Brian lenehan dying either.

I think posters are underestimating how seismic that election was to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

I find it surprising how calm everyone is. I assumed that the Presidents car being incapacitated would lead to secret service guys running all over the place guns ready

I don’t think it was the actual car he was in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Padre_Pio wrote: »

The car (essentially the chassis of a lorry with a giant car body on top of it) beached itself because its wheelbase was too long for the ramp.

• Advertisement

I think posters are underestimating how seismic that election was to many people.

Yeah, my thoughts too. That Fianna Fail government was surely the most unpopular in Irish history. And it stuck around for so long. People were delighted just to have them gone.

The presidential election, though, I remember as being an embarrassment. I wonder would they have given it so much attention in the episode were it not for Higgins's subsequent popularity.

Yeah, my thoughts too. That Fianna Fail government was surely the most unpopular in Irish history. And it stuck around for so long. People were delighted just to have them gone.

The presidential election, though, I remember as being an embarrassment. I wonder would they have given it so much attention in the episode were it not for Higgins's subsequent popularity.

It was a very entertaining embarrassment I was glued to that election and loved seeing it again. There were people willing to forgive McGuinness being in the IRA but going ape when they found out Gallagher was in FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

International events I expect to be hit on in tonight's episode:

Costa Concordia
    London Olympics (particularl Katie's gold) and Queen's Diamond Jubilee
    Curiosity Rover
    Hurricane Sandy
    Sandy Hook and Colorado Shootings

Irish stuff:

Anti-austerity marches/"Occupy" movements
    Irish Water
    End of Clery's
    Savita Halappanavar and the fallout

I expect City winning the league to feature as it was the most dramatic victory ever. But Euro 2012 and our fans will probably get precedence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Costa Concordia
    Curiosity Rover
    Hurricane Sandy

Irish stuff:

Irish Water
    End of Clery's

I expect City winning the league to feature as it was the most dramatic victory ever. But Euro 2012 and our fans will probably get precedence.

I wonder if Sandy Hook will get a mention though. As horrific as it was, in an American context it was just another in a long line of needless shootings. Nothing was different after Sandy Hook, it wasn't a catalyst for change and had no long term implications, so I wouldn't blame them if they chose to leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It was a very entertaining embarrassment I was glued to that election and loved seeing it again. There were people willing to forgive McGuinness being in the IRA but going ape when they found out Gallagher was in FF

McGuinness was honest about his past. Gallagher was dishonest about the extent of his involvement with Fianna Fail. It wasn't about him being in FF (Michael D. Higgins was a former member too) - it was about him outing himself as a slippery character who couldn't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Costa Concordia
    Curiosity Rover
    Hurricane Sandy

Irish stuff:

Irish Water
    End of Clery's

It won`t. RTE have never shown any Premier League footage on RITY and that won`t change in this series either. The Liverpool-Arsenal game at Anfield in 1989 in the old First Division had an equally as dramatic end to the season and didn`t get a mention in that edition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The starting point of "The Best Fans in the World"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Apres Match on point.

Did they seriously leave out Katie Taylors gold ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Insane that the Savita story is only in the recent past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Apparently Enda Kenny being patted on the head like a good little boy by the rest of the EU leaders who were all laughing at him was all part of a cunning "charm offensive".

• Advertisement
Advertisement