Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Is the Cork game on tv later. Like eir sports or any of those channels

Coverage is starting at 6:55 on eir sports 2 according to the tv listings on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Coverage later at 11.30 on Eir
    Kerry v Mayo on now Eir sport2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dublin seem the weakest team in the division losing 1-8-1-24 to Tipperary earlier

Tipperary will deff be no pushovers next Sunday in Walsh Park. Let's see 2morrow how we play up in Nowlan Park. Cork and Clare tonight will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

See Cork tried to change our national anthem in Pairc Ui Rinn tonight. I know they call it the Republic of Cork, so is this another step in declaring independence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Coverage later at 11.30 on Eir
    Kerry v Mayo on now Eir sport2
    Football on Eir sports 2 HD
    Cork Clare on Eir sports 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dublin seem the weakest team in the division losing 1-8-1-24 to Tipperary earlier

Tipperary will deff be no pushovers next Sunday in Walsh Park. Let's see 2morrow how we play up in Nowlan Park. Cork and Clare tonight will be interesting

Tipp will be no pushovers, that made me smile.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Well done to the footballers on beating Wicklow tonight . Good momentum and if they can best Carlow and one of the top 3 they could get promotion

Well done to the footballers on beating Wicklow tonight . Good momentum and if they can best Carlow and one of the top 3 they could get promotion

Good win promotion would be outstanding for us.

I'd imagine Westmeath will be a step above the rest as there were in the last 2 Leinster finals but they only drew with Carlow last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Good win promotion would be outstanding for us.

I'd imagine Westmeath will be a step above the rest as there were in the last 2 Leinster finals but they only drew with Carlow last weekend.
    Wouldn't get carried away. Remember when we won the McGrath cup a few years ago, we were going to win the All Ireland after it. Wicklow are desperately bad, they were hammered by Leitrim last week. 2 wins from 2 is good but as you say Westmeath should take one promotion spot so the other one is wide open

• Advertisement

Interesting results in the NHL tonight. Cork beating Clare so convincingly is a surprise. The joint-management duo have a big job on their hands. Its not u21s their managing anymore. Tipp hammering Dublin probably not a surprise. Ger Cunningham has gotten rid of a lot of their best and experienced players and tying to blood a whole new team.Seems like madness. Tipp with a fair statement of intent. I expect our game tomorrow to be close. Interesting to see how KK look with Padraig Walsh at fullback. Its a winnable game considering the guys they are still missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Interesting results in the NHL tonight. Cork beating Clare so convincingly is a surprise. The joint-management duo have a big job on their hands. Its not u21s their managing anymore. Tipp hammering Dublin probably not a surprise. Ger Cunningham has gotten rid of a lot of their best and experienced players and tying to blood a whole new team.Seems like madness. Tipp with a fair statement of intent. I expect our game tomorrow to be close. Interesting to see how KK look with Padraig Walsh at fullback. Its a winnable game considering the guys they are still missing.

Having watched the game, Clare had a serious amount of goal chances i wouldnt be worrying if i was a Clare man.
    They have a serious panel. I said it last week an i say it again. Clare are the dark horses in my eyes this year.

Dublin look really poor wooden spoon for them i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

robopaddy2 wrote: »

Clare seemed well off the pace tonight. Tore cork to shreds when they ran at them but couldn't convert the goal chances. Both teams poor enough and very rusty. Can't judge long term form from tonight though as I'm sure they will be in the swing of things when they play us. That Kingston lad for Cork looks like a real prospect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Bit disappointed that he's not trying out somebody different at full back. If we're serious about winning the All-Ireland we need to get that position sorted out.

Yep has been playing with Waterford in the Munster league. Scored the infamous goal for the 21s last year with Stephen Bennett's no look overhead flick.

Probably one of the greatest set ups ever. I was on the bank more or less front of that pass. And what a finish

Enjoy everyone good crowd up here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Waterford going well. Given alot of frees away

Ref very stop start. Don't think we're playing the sweeper. Tdb playing very well but needs to stop the one handed sweep. Hopefully we can hold on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Should be further ahead with another goal or two on the board. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us as kk have the breeze second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ref very stop start. Don't think we're playing the sweeper. Tdb playing very well but needs to stop the one handed sweep. Hopefully we can hold on

If there wasn't as many cynical fouls etc.. the ref wouldn't have to stop the game as much!!

Brutal foul by Daniels there, should have been a red.

• Advertisement

We are winning but its mass defensive and awful to watch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good win to get under the belt, hard to read a lot into it given the time of year. Probably made it more difficult than it needed to be in the end. Another win should be enough to secure a QF spot.

Time to thaw out now

I'll take the win, really thought we blew it

Really bad second half performance. Aussie deff not match fit yet

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Derek McGrath out.
    He wasn't supposed to win today and he never brought Noelie Crowley on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If that was a Championship game, KK wouldn't have lost it. Still not getting enough ahead when they rule possession and then clinging on for dear life. A win over the Cats is still a win regardless of how they perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Hurling in February ain't pretty to watch but a win is a win and we haven't won many games in Nolan Park recently. We've winnable games at home to Cork and away to Dublin so that should guarantee our 1A status until next year. We're not exactly gonna take our foot off the pedal but I think we can afford to experiment a bit more in the other games. 
    No point complaining about style or being too defensive minded, we had a very light forward line in Curran Kearney Bennett and Mahony up against a strong KK defense, but we got the job done! Loved TDB's hit on Riche Hogan at the start of the 2nd half. KK were missing a few but then again we were without SOK, Philip Mahony, Stephen Bennett, Darragh Fives and we had a half fit Aussie Gleeson! Roll on next week

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Hurling in February ain't pretty to watch but a win is a win and we haven't won many games in Nolan Park recently. We've winnable games at home to Cork and away to Dublin so that should guarantee our 1A status until next year. We're not exactly gonna take our foot off the pedal but I think we can afford to experiment a bit more in the other games. 
    No point complaining about style or being too defensive minded, we had a very light forward line in Curran Kearney Bennett and Mahony up against a strong KK defense, but we got the job done! Loved TDB's hit on Riche Hogan at the start of the 2nd half. KK were missing a few but then again we were without SOK, Philip Mahony, Stephen Bennett, Darragh Fives and we had a half fit Aussie Gleeson! Roll on next week

Hurling isn't pretty to watch in February when the half forward line is back on your 65. Ruck ruck , muck

Thought Jamie Barron was outstanding today btw

thesultan wrote: »
    We are winning but its mass defensive and awful to watch..

And yet we scored a goal and could easily have had another 2 while KK never looked like getting one...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Very good win but more important than the result was how we completely lost our shape in the forwards in the final 20 mins. First 50 mins were excellent and we could have been up by more only for a lot of missed chances. The final 20 though says we haven't learnt from last year unfortunately.

Very good win but more important than the result was how we completely lost our shape in the forwards in the final 20 mins. First 50 mins were excellent and we could have been up by more only for a lot of missed chances. The final 20 though says we haven't learnt from last year unfortunately.

Would agree with this. 6 points up and we had a chance to drive it on but retreated out the field.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Would agree with this. 6 points up and we had a chance to drive it on but retreated out the field.

id love to see us play like we the first 50 mins for a whole game but for whatever reason we make life hard for ourselves, is a player thing or a management thing ???

Cant see us winning next weekend if we play like for the last 20 mins (Possibly our best might not be enough if Tipp are serious about the league) but it would be fantastic if we beat Tipp.

Can see Cork and Clare taking points off other teams, Dublin may be destined to be in the relagation playoff but you never know. Kilkenny will deff bounce back and travel to Ennis next weekend, Cork face Dublin at home

Id love to get a huge win over Dublin on the 4th March in Croker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Thought Tadhg Bourke was outstanding, and Connors really held Hogan well.

Curran had Holden in all sorts of trouble, Kilkenny switches and us dropping out though meant we did not get much change second half. But we were by far the better side first half and should have had the game over which is pretty encouraging I think. When Walter Walsh came on, Shane Fives and Conor Gleeson swapped which means despite what has been said here the management have learned something from last year.
    It' very early and nobody is going to give too much away, a good win in a place they're hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Where to start? It was a win,not pretty but a win none the less. There's no doubt it's horrendous to watch at times but as it has been pointed out on here several times,if the end justifies the means! Barron,Brick,TDB and Moran were excellent throughout and the fact that we stood up to them physically was a big plus aswell. Connors was very good curtailing Hogan but I think if we meet them again later in the year Ritchie could be played further out the field. The withdrawal of forwards in the second half doesn't bare well for the rest of the year and also Shane Bennett's performances for us are beginning to become worrying as it hasn't been happening for him on a regular basis unfortunately.

cul beag wrote: »
    Where to start? It was a win,not pretty but a win none the less. There's no doubt it's horrendous to watch at times but as it has been pointed out on here several times,if the end justifies the means! Barron,Brick,TDB and Moran were excellent throughout and the fact that we stood up to them physically was a big plus aswell. Connors was very good curtailing Hogan but I think if we meet them again later in the year Ritchie could be played further out the field. The withdrawal of forwards in the second half doesn't bare well for the rest of the year and also Shane Bennett's performances for us are beginning to become worrying as it hasn't been happening for him on a regular basis unfortunately.
    We can talk all we want about Curran, shanahan and Bennett in the full line but how can they cope when all three could have two men on them...

• Advertisement

I knew something was going to change tactically for us when it took us ages too come out for the second half

It's a bad state affairs when after winning such an important game we are all worrying. Can the players not say it too Derek that there struggling with the sweeper system against top opposition ??

Next weeks game with Tipperary will tell us a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We got the win away to Kilkenny, in February, without showing our full hand and without the hurler of the year (apart from his cameo)

Jesus lads, have a word.

Gavlor wrote: »
    We got the win away to Kilkenny, in February, without showing our full hand and without the hurler of the year (apart from his cameo)

Jesus lads, have a word.

True I'm Mr negative here but today was an important win no matter how it was done

On rte after McGrath said there bringing Aussie slowly back win into things as he had a lot of distractions after getting his Poty and all star last year

Wonder what next weeks 15 will be ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭letowski

From an outsider, I thought Barron and Moran were excellent in midfield in the last 10/15 minutes, to get ye over the line. Moran is some athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Gavlor wrote: »

Jesus lads, have a word.

True I'm Mr negative here but today was an important win no matter how it was done

On rte after McGrath said there bringing Aussie slowly back win into things as he had a lot of distractions after getting his Poty and all star last year

You're 'Mr Negative' every game, i see you predicted a KK win beforehand..as you do for all games you predict an opposition win. No doubt you'll be predicting a Tipp win next. You're a TROLL and personallyI'm fed up of the drivel you post on here.
    I doubt you're a waterford man at all.

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    You're 'Mr Negative' every game, i see you predicted a KK win beforehand..as you do for all games you predict an opposition win. No doubt you'll be predicting a Tipp win next. You're a TROLL and personallyI'm fed up of the drivel you post on here.

Chill pill man I'm not a troll, I'm a Waterford man end off. Last championship game missed was vs Laois in 2006, missed a handful of league games since I stared going to games in 2005, I'm season ticket, club deise member, go to a number if underage games and club games if time allows

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Chill pill man I'm not a troll, I'm a Waterford man end off. Last championship game missed was vs Laois in 2006, missed a handful of league games since I stared going to games in 2005, I'm season ticket, club deise member, go to a number if underage games and club games if time allows

PTH, forget the knockers, from your regular post on here it's obvious that you're a real dyed in the wool passionate Deise man and long may you keep on contributing here and your opinions on Waterford hurling are always welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

carter10 wrote: »

Just because he's negative doesn't mean he's a troll. Plenty of people in ireland are negative about things as a means to play down expectations or not to tempt faith. It's in our nature.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Just because he's negative doesn't mean he's a troll. Plenty of people in ireland are negative about things as a means to play down expectations or not to tempt faith. It's in our nature.
    I'm like fr jesup in father Ted 'believe the opposite of what I say'

In the squad today there was no sos, dunford or dj foran. Team in programme was wrong as they were going by our squad numbers

Shur you forgot Aussie when naming out your starting team last week! It's no wonder you expect us to win nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Great result by the players today in Nowlan Park never an easy place to get a win. You couldn't fault any player for lack of effort but as many have said Jamie Barron was class as usual. De Burca was also very good especially in the first half and Moran really stood up when needed most. I thought Tom Devine also did well enough at full forward and gave a good pass for Currans goal. The winning and losing of the game i thought would come from our full back line against their full forward line. In fairness all 3 in the full backline were good today and didn't give Kilkenny an inch. Probably the most heartening aspect of the game today was how we stood up to Kilkenny physically. Good start to the league which sets it up nicely for next weeks game against Tipp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Good win today, nice bit of bite to the game in the second half. Jamie Barron had a great game, while Tadhg de Bourca played well also.

Any idea why Maurice wasn't named on the panel? Was it just cos Lismore were involved in the intermediate club semi final last week?

Agreed Aussie looked sluggish enough when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good result, very happy to get the win to try build on for the rest of the league. The best part I think is that one more win should just about secure a place in the quarter finals and if that were to come sooner rather than later, it should mean plenty of lads getting game time when we could afford to experiment a bit.

Barron, Moran, Tadgh, Connors and Paudie (bar one very poor free right in front of the posts) and Brick were all very good. I seem to recall a few weeks ago people putting together what the team should look like for the year and a few left out Brick, I think today showed why he has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet as he offers so much. Won plenty of ball, offloaded for a few scores, won a few frees and got stuck in.

Tipp next week will be interesting, it'll be very tough but I'd nearly see it as a shot to nothing as winning today has taken a bit of pressure off needing a result.
    Anyone have a list of the subs named today? Curious to see who we had on the bench who may get a look in for other games. Was Billy Nolan there?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Cake Man wrote: »
    Good result, very happy to get the win to try build on for the rest of the league. The best part I think is that one more win should just about secure a place in the quarter finals and if that were to come sooner rather than later, it should mean plenty of lads getting game time when we could afford to experiment a bit.

Barron, Moran, Tadgh, Connors and Paudie (bar one very poor free right in front of the posts) and Brick were all very good. I seem to recall a few weeks ago people putting together what the team should look like for the year and a few left out Brick, I think today showed why he has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet as he offers so much. Won plenty of ball, offloaded for a few scores, won a few frees and got stuck in.

Tipp next week will be interesting, it'll be very tough but I'd nearly see it as a shot to nothing as winning today has taken a bit of pressure off needing a result.
    Anyone have a list of the subs named today? Curious to see who we had on the bench who may get a look in for other games. Was Billy Nolan there?

Agree about Brick. He's got nothing to prove but does so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Paudie from play? I don't remember him doing much bar his contribution from frees but as for Brick it's only when that colossus of a man decides he has nothing more to offer will we really realise what we are missing. You could count on one hand the amount of bad games he has had for us,he truly is an inspiration for any young fella on this panel. His professionalism,dedication and consistency throughout his career has been phenomenal. Another player that is showing that consistency is Jamie Barron. He is quickly becoming one of the top midfielders of the modern game,his work rate is excellent but his distribution is what sets him apart as he rarely wastes possession. He is now adding a scoring side to his game which we always saw when playing for Fourmilewater.
    One interesting battle next Sunday will be Brick and Paudie Maher,I hope the foundation under the stand is solid!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement