Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Knitting

Options
  • 08-08-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi There are a few of us ladies in Limerick with knitting machines and really don't know how to use them. We had planned to go to Limerick Senior college to night classes but they no longer do knitting classes up there. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Frances4019

Hi There are a few of us ladies in Limerick with knitting machines and really don't know how to use them. We had planned to go to Limerick Senior college to night classes but they no longer do knitting classes up there. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Oh I forgot one very important thing. This is not a whim. We are really looking for a tutor and will be very happy to pay for this service. Willing to travel within reason to persons house if that suits. The lessons may also be taught in one of our homes.
    Many thanks in anticipation.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi there,

It might be a shot in the dark, but perhaps you could try to contact some secondary/ vocational schools - a home economics/ arts teacher might know how to use these machines, or might point you in the right direction.

Alternatively, try to contact places like haberdashery shops (for instance Hickey's, or the Woollen Mills), or shops that would sell those machines, they may have contact details for instructors.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Wish i was nearer to you ladies to help but im in Dublin.Worked on these machines for years. Mass manufacturing is making them obselete. I used to get my machines from the Brother warehouse in Santry Industrial Estate. They may still be there and might supply you with contacts in your part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I too worked on them before ... my mother had one from when we were little kids. We all had knitted socks, dresses, along with many many jumpers and hats.

My mum kept a nice little sideline going in it, she supplied to some of the dublin shops and ran a market stall for years ...

Unfortunatly I too am in Dublin. But good luck with the search, you have brought back memories for me anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Frances4019

I too worked on them before ... my mother had one from when we were little kids. We all had knitted socks, dresses, along with many many jumpers and hats.

My mum kept a nice little sideline going in it, she supplied to some of the dublin shops and ran a market stall for years ...

Unfortunatly I too am in Dublin. But good luck with the search, you have brought back memories for me anyway...
    Many thanks to all who replied. I suppose when one can buy a knitted top in Penneys for €5 why bother going to all that trouble.
    Frances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

But Frances there is no way your 5euro top from pennys would last even vaguely as long as the machine knitted one you could make.

We had knitted stuff that was passed from one child down through at least six others, and is probably still good to this day!!

Keep looking - there must be somebody out there who can help you!

And you will also have the satisfaction and enjoyment of making it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi Frances. I had a machine also for a number of years and used to do small things for my kids when they were young. I didn't ever have a ribber, just a basic knitmaster. Just last year I got the bug again and bought a second hand mid guage/chunky machine and have done odd bits with that. If I can help in any way I would be happy to, but it would be purely basic stuff. Im based in Limerick also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OMG, you're starting to give me the bug! My mother, lord rest her, had a knitting machine and I started knitting things on it from when I was 10. I'd really love to try out your machines and see if I could help you but I unfortunately live near Dublin.
    While my mother just knitted plain stuff, I loved doing stripes, intarsia, fairisle and even just pushing out the needles needed to "write" names on sweaters- they were very popular with the local kids!
    I then discovered Aran knitting by hand and I preferred that, even though it's slower and I do get fed-up very quickly! I haven't machine-knitted since I was 16, that's a long time ago.
    Littlebitdull, it's so true that the same jumpers would be passed down 6 children - something you can't do with Penney's clothing after 2 washes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lou S

Hi Frances/Ladies
    I have been looking for someone to teach machine knitting. Are you still interested in teaching. I'm across the way from you. Let me know if your free. Thanks Louise

Wish i was nearer to you ladies to help but im in Dublin.Worked on these machines for years. Mass manufacturing is making them obselete. I used to get my machines from the Brother warehouse in Santry Industrial Estate. They may still be there and might supply you with contacts in your part of the country.

Lou S wrote: »
    Hi Frances/Ladies
    I have been looking for someone to teach machine knitting. Are you still interested in teaching. I'm across the way from you. Let me know if your free. Thanks Louise
    Hi Lou s, not sure I understand you! Is youre question addressed to me?:) If it is, then I may be able to help you. Can you give more details?

• Advertisement

Hi

yes sorry mixed up the names (I think). Anyway I'm in Lucan and lookign for knitting machine lessons. Can you help. have a knittmaster (cant remember model have it that long).

Thanks
    Louise

Hi Lou s, not sure I understand you! Is youre question addressed to me?:) If it is, then I may be able to help you. Can you give more details?

Lou S wrote: »
    Hi

yes sorry mixed up the names (I think). Anyway I'm in Lucan and lookign for knitting machine lessons. Can you help. have a knittmaster (cant remember model have it that long).

Thanks
    Louise
    Can you send me your email and I will get back to you?

snip »contact via PM
    Can you send me your email and I will get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fat spud

Hi ladies.im the owener of a Brother knitting machine with ribber. Iwent to classes in pearse st for a long time,and i can say it was great fun. But i have to say,it was many many years ago.its still in the attic .Would love to hear from the ladies who would like to start up classes again,

fat spud wrote: »
    Hi ladies.im the owener of a Brother knitting machine with ribber. Iwent to classes in pearse st for a long time,and i can say it was great fun. But i have to say,it was many many years ago.its still in the attic .Would love to hear from the ladies who would like to start up classes again,
    Hi Fat Spud. Love your name, but hope you dont look like Mr. Potatohead:eek:. Yeah it would be great to get a bunch of people together with their dusty machines and produce some stuff. Even if you only have a basic machine you can make gorgeous wraps, throws, cushion covers, bedcovers etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nanabernie

I have knitmaster 260 with ribber. I can remember how to use machine but am not quite sure about ribber. I was addicted to it years ago and knit loads but stopped about twenty years ago. Still have machine and patterns and books and recently got them from attic. Still looking at them trying to remember in my head before setting them up. Think I can knit on the basic machine, with mock ribs, but am very unsure about the ribber. If anyone can help I would be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scary007

Hello everybody, are there any machine knitters in the Longford area. I have a Brother 950i machine/ribbers and lots of accessories. Just wondered if there was anybody else nearby who was interested in the same hobby. Where do you get your machine knitting wool from, Regards. Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

I might also be interested in getting together for a group of machine knitters if this was a go ahead, I only recently got a second hand one that i am only learning how to use.

ALso do you know of any place that sells parts for knitting machines here in dublin or even in ireland, apart from the one on parnell street?

thanks for your help,

Lauren

Springwools in Walkinstown may be able to help you. I got spare part from England for mine last year. I think also Singer Shop in Bray. Which machine did you get, standard gauge or chunky. Springwools also sell the chunky machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

nanabernie wrote: »
    Springwools in Walkinstown may be able to help you. I got spare part from England for mine last year. I think also Singer Shop in Bray. Which machine did you get, standard gauge or chunky. Springwools also sell the chunky machines.

Where in England did you get spares parts from. My friend is looking for a cast on comb cover for her Singer Big 9 Knitting machine which she hopes to start to use again. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I get my stuff here

http://www.bsk.co.uk/

(knitmaster321), find them lovely to deal with. I have even e-mailed them pics or what i'm looking for and they have supplied the items!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I get my stuff here

http://www.bsk.co.uk/

(knitmaster321), find them lovely to deal with. I have even e-mailed them pics or what i'm looking for and they have supplied the items!

I love those guys, got my sewing machine and overlocker from them. Would love to be able to afford a knitting machine!

Sorry for delay in replying but down with flu so not keeping up to date with things. My husband ordered it for me and unfortunately I didn't keep receipt once it was okay. He probably still has original email order on his computer so I will ask him to check for me tonight. Sounds like machine knitting is taking off again. I have managed to make some school cardigans for my grand-daughter and they are going great. I got the cones of wool from Springwools in Walkinstown. They are not as cheap as they used to be - comparatively speaking. But if you have a wool winder you can buy the balls of 4ply and wind them for machine. Works out much much cheaper - about half the price. Good luck to all machine knitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Ladies I still do the knitting by hand......If any of you have any wool left over that would not even knit a row for you on the machine ...Could I be so bold as to ask you for it,I will of course cover all postage costs...

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I love those guys, got my sewing machine and overlocker from them. Would love to be able to afford a knitting machine!

I got my knitting machine from a lovely lady in Portmarnack on the buy and sell for 40euro, about 10 years ago. Knitmaster321 and table.

I was looking for about 3 years before that but was on a serious budget.

If I see anything I'll PM you.

I have gotten this a few times:

Works out at 16.32 euro per cone delivered.

http://www.yarn-paradise.com/search/204552-cone-discount-yarn

last week i got this:

http://www.yarn-paradise.com/knitting/mixed_lots/l@@k_mix_selection/lase_qx19890.html

for 30 euro delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi Frances,
    i too am in Limerick and I have recently been given an old Toyota knitting machine .
    just wondering if you ever did find lessons in machine knitting in Limerick area and if you have any tips for where one can get a knitting machine serviced, also where i could find parts for it locally.
    thanks in advance
    liz

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Hi All,
    Could you recommend a knitting machine for an absolute beginner? I can knit by hand, but have never used a machine. Ive been pondering purchasing a machine for a few months now, but dont actually know where to start, what do look for etc etc

Thanks a million
    :)

I'd look for a well looked after 1970s model (no really) like the knitmaster 321.

I was the same and I managed to teach myself how to use it form an old photocopied manual. I broke loads of pieces and ordered replacements from ebay!

There are a few good videos on you tube too.

I wouldn't dream of buying a new machine for your first one.

The only thing you have to know is what gauge you want: fine or chunky. I got a fine gauge but you can use Aran thickness by only using every 3rd needle.

Also what do you want to make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 grabray

I have a Brother 868 Knitting Machine for the past 10 years and would love some classes to get me started. I pick things up quickly once shown but find the manuals hard work! Would love if someone had time to give me a few lessons. If there are any machine knitting classes anywhere that anyone knows about, I'd really appreciate details. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement