Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Knitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

Hello ladies,

I was given a knitmaster 321 for the thinner wool (not the bulky one, can't remember what the guage is called). After much deliberation about what wool i could use, i just went with a sock yarn and was able to knit myself a hairband. But i don't really undersatnd what kind of wools i can use for this guage machine. I would like to knit things with a little bit thicker wool than just sock wool but i assume it will only work with thin wool like sock yarn.

I evn tried to use some of my thinnner wool that i use for hand knitting, but the needles keep getting stuck in the yarn and it was very hard to bring the carriage across the machine. So this obviously isn't the right yarn to use.
    Can you use some types of wool that you use for hand knitting?

oh and the wool that you would normally use for such a knitting machine can they only be gotten in the cones?

THanks for you help.

Lauren

oh and is there any machine knitters in and around donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Laurenisme wrote: »
    Hello ladies,

I was given a knitmaster 321 for the thinner wool (not the bulky one, can't remember what the guage is called). After much deliberation about what wool i could use, i just went with a sock yarn and was able to knit myself a hairband. But i don't really undersatnd what kind of wools i can use for this guage machine. I would like to knit things with a little bit thicker wool than just sock wool but i assume it will only work with thin wool like sock yarn.

I evn tried to use some of my thinnner wool that i use for hand knitting, but the needles keep getting stuck in the yarn and it was very hard to bring the carriage across the machine. So this obviously isn't the right yarn to use.
    Can you use some types of wool that you use for hand knitting?

oh and the wool that you would normally use for such a knitting machine can they only be gotten in the cones?

THanks for you help.

Lauren

I have the same machine. Originally I used 4 ply on cones like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/50-Merino-Pure-Wool-Acylic-Knitting-Machine-Yarn-21-/200650678416?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item2eb7b66090#ht_2054wt_1138

You can use nearly any thinckness of wool but it takes a bit of practice. I can use double kknitting wool by winding it using a winder:

140.jpg

Then set gauge to 10 and only use every 2nd needle to cast on as if you are knitting a 1x1 rib.

I can use chunky buy doing above but only casting on every 4th needle.

For a really odd knit I use chunky as above and a chunky yarn with the weaving tool. I makes a really chunky fabric, perfect for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi Laurenisme, I used one of these machines for years. I only knit with 4ply wool and if its just regular knitting wool, you would need to wind it with a woolwinder (as suggested earlier) running it over a candle as you wind, this gives it easy movement on the machine. Most of the cone wool is pre-treated. Hope this helps

Lana's wool shop in William's St in LImerick usually has a few cones of 4 ply in stock, well worth getting a cone and just using it to try everything the machine can do.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have the same machine. Originally I used 4 ply on cones like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/50-Merino-Pure-Wool-Acylic-Knitting-Machine-Yarn-21-/200650678416?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&hash=item2eb7b66090#ht_2054wt_1138

You can use nearly any thinckness of wool but it takes a bit of practice. I can use double kknitting wool by winding it using a winder:

140.jpg

Then set gauge to 10 and only use every 2nd needle to cast on as if you are knitting a 1x1 rib.

I can use chunky buy doing above but only casting on every 4th needle.

For a really odd knit I use chunky as above and a chunky yarn with the weaving tool. I makes a really chunky fabric, perfect for winter.

Hi Wmpdd,

Right when you are you the winder to wind the double knit are you doing this so that it is easier to use the ball and not have it tangle up and roll around the place or does winding the wool change it in some way.

I understand better when i know why its done and how it works. I assume that if i was to buy a 4ply ball of wool and wind it onto the wool winder it would be the exact same as having a cone of 4ply wool?

Would you know why when i was using the 2ply wool before the needles were pulling it apart?

Sorry to ask you such questions but the last couple of times i took the knitting machine out i kept getting the same problem and adventuly just gave up.

One last question, my machine doesn't have the extra thing that allows you to knit in the round. Is there some way to use a single bed machine to do round knitting. I find it a lot quicker.

Thank you very much for your help,

Lauren

DEEMAR wrote: »
    Hi Laurenisme, I used one of these machines for years. I only knit with 4ply wool and if its just regular knitting wool, you would need to wind it with a woolwinder (as suggested earlier) running it over a candle as you wind, this gives it easy movement on the machine. Most of the cone wool is pre-treated. Hope this helps

Hi Deemar,

Is the cone wool pre-treated in such a way the the carriage would be easier to move over the bed?

How exactly would running it over a candle help, I understand better when i know why.

I read somewhere before that if you put a small bit of beesway on the stand as it goes trough the yarn brake the wool will be easier to use. I tried this and didn't work even if the wax was a little warm so it would stick to the wool.

Thank you very much for your help.

Lauren

Also do punchcards for the knitmaster 321 have to be made specially for that machine??

I have just seen a set of punchcards on ebay. The details it gives is "K09.57 Tuck, for Knitmaster/Empisal/Silver/Studio Knitting Machine,
    Standard Gauge Knitting Machines".

As it doesnt mention knitmaster 321 i wouldn't know if they would fit?

Any advice?

Lauren

Laurenisme, yes the 'candle treatment' does work. If you buy the wool on a cone they are usually pre-treated, but for regular wool you need to wind it with a woolwinder at the same time doing candle treatment. Bascally, if you are winding with your right hand, you would be holding a (white) candle with the left hand and gently slide wool over the candle before it (wool slides beteen candle and finger) reaches the winder - if that makes sense. There is no easy way around this, if you want ease of movement on the knitting machine, this procedure has to be done. If you dont have a woolwinder, you would need to invest in one. You can pick one up cheap on ebay. I'm afraid I cant help you with the punchcard question, I did have them with my machine but never used them.

Laurenisme, yes the 'candle treatment' does work. If you buy the wool on a cone they are usually pre-treated, but for regular wool you need to wind it with a woolwinder at the same time doing candle treatment. Bascally, if you are winding with your right hand, you would be holding a (white) candle with the left hand and gently slide wool over the candle before it (wool slides beteen candle and finger) reaches the winder - if that makes sense. There is no easy way around this, if you want ease of movement on the knitting machine, this procedure has to be done. If you dont have a woolwinder, you would need to invest in one. You can pick one up cheap on ebay. I'm afraid I cant help you with the punchcard question, I did have them with my machine but never used them.

Yep, I was given a woollwinder with the machine. The candle obviously has to be white, should be of any certain make or just a plain white candle, can it be a cream white or only white. This white candle is to be used instead of beeswax?

Thanks for your help. sorry to be re-asking questions. Just want to make sure i have it right.

Lauren

• Advertisement

Yes Laurenisme, just a regular white candle, or I'm sure the cream would be fine too. No need for beeswax if you are using the candle. You only need to let the wool rub gently off it as you are winding it. The reason it is necessary to wind the wool is that (1) the wool gets lightly coated with candle wax and (2) the wound wool feeds onto the machine much better. Its a bit of a pain having to do this procedure, but it is so worth while. Best of luck with it! Don't worry about asking questions - I only too happy to be of help

Hi Wmpdd,

Right when you are you the winder to wind the double knit are you doing this so that it is easier to use the ball and not have it tangle up and roll around the place or does winding the wool change it in some way.

Yep, it means the feed of the wool will be smooth and you'll get better tension.

I understand better when i know why its done and how it works. I assume that if i was to buy a 4ply ball of wool and wind it onto the wool winder it would be the exact same as having a cone of 4ply wool?

Yep

Would you know why when i was using the 2ply wool before the needles were pulling it apart?

I have 2 cones of 2 ply and even with perfect tension and the right gauge it often just snaps mid way. 4 ply is the easiest to knit with according to me.

Sorry to ask you such questions but the last couple of times i took the knitting machine out i kept getting the same problem and adventuly just gave up.

Dont, honestly, if you yarn keeps breaking, you need oil, the tension is off or the gauge is off. Other than that it should be really smooth, to move the carriage from left to right.If you set it up right, you can thread it up with a cone and 50 stitches and run up 200 rows for a scarf in 1/2 hour. Honestly, it should be that easy. But it took me a few years of breaking needles to get the settings right to be able to do this. I had 2 knitting classes in college, the rest I learned by trial and error and youtube!

One last question, my machine doesn't have the extra thing that allows you to knit in the round. Is there some way to use a single bed machine to do round knitting. I find it a lot quicker.

No I've never heard of an attachment like that. You can get a separate sock machine that knits in the round, search for a video on youtube and you'll see it.

Thank you very much for your help,

No probs, feel free to keep asking. PS I have the manual for the machine too, do you?

Lauren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mag123

Hi all you machine knitters, I am just new to this site and I have been reading the posts and notice that there is a great need for classes in machine knitting. I teach on a regular basis all craft classes and if you are interested in contacting me you can send me a personal message, and I will discuss same.

mag123 wrote: »
    Hi all you machine knitters, I am just new to this site and I have been reading the posts and notice that there is a great need for classes in machine knitting. I teach on a regular basis all craft classes and if you are interested in contacting me you can send me a personal message, and I will discuss same.

Hi there.

I would definately be interested in this but as i live probably a large distance from everybody else, i might be able. Where are you based. If it was in dublin or kildare i might be able to go when i head to my family home.

or I live in donegal on case you live anywhere close to their.

Lauren

Yes Laurenisme, just a regular white candle, or I'm sure the cream would be fine too. No need for beeswax if you are using the candle. You only need to let the wool rub gently off it as you are winding it. The reason it is necessary to wind the wool is that (1) the wool gets lightly coated with candle wax and (2) the wound wool feeds onto the machine much better. Its a bit of a pain having to do this procedure, but it is so worth while. Best of luck with it! Don't worry about asking questions - I only too happy to be of help

Hmm I'm sorry i think i might be over analising it a bit. Last time it drove me nuts when i couldn't get it going right. would you usually warm up the candle a little bit beforehand so it would coat it easier.

ok i am going to go equiped with all this information. Take it out and give it another go.

My friend wants me to make her a jumper but all the patterns i find for machine knitting are quiet old fashioned. she wants a jumper like this one.

http://www.asos.com/Sophie-Hulme/Sophie-Hulme-For-ASOS-Sequin-Sweater/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1431357&cid=2637&sh=0&pge=7&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Navy

would you possibly have an idea of a website or pattern company that woulld do more modern kinds of jumpers like a womens tight fitted one.

Laurenisme, no , there is no need to heat the candle. I think a jumper for your friend might be a bit adventurous at this stage. Why not practice on small things until you get the tension right and the wool winding sorted etc., then make an attempt at the jumper. Good luck!

Yeah, I agree, its great to have something to show for all the trying out you do, but that jumper is a but fitted, if you tension is off you'll end up with a tunic!

If you have the book that came with the machine there's a really simple round neck mens jumper in the back of it. I made it and it really is easy. This could be similar to the one you want.

Yeah, I agree, its great to have something to show for all the trying out you do, but that jumper is a but fitted, if you tension is off you'll end up with a tunic!

If you have the book that came with the machine there's a really simple round neck mens jumper in the back of it. I made it and it really is easy. This could be similar to the one you want.

yea that sounds like a good idea. yep I have the book what page is the pattern on, iv seen the page that it explains how to do a round neck but i can't remember any full jumper pattern.

yea a jumper doesnt sound like such a good idea at the moment especialy seeing how badly my attempt yesterday went. but i'll try again tommarow. It's terrible i've a sewing machine that i can't get properly working for the same reason (inexperience).

Laurenisme, no , there is no need to heat the candle. I think a jumper for your friend might be a bit adventurous at this stage. Why not practice on small things until you get the tension right and the wool winding sorted etc., then make an attempt at the jumper. Good luck!

that sounds like a good idea, swatches for a blanket i guess.

• Advertisement

Hi there.

I would definately be interested in this but as i live probably a large distance from everybody else, i might be able. Where are you based. If it was in dublin or kildare i might be able to go when i head to my family home.

or I live in donegal on case you live anywhere close to their.

Lauren
    Hi Lauren,
    Thank you for your reply, I live here in kildare . I teach crochet hand/machine knitting on a regular basis. Do you have a machine, I am also a agent for Silver knitting and Sewing machines. If you would like to get in touch you can personal message me and I will get in touch with you. Regards Margaret

Hi all just reading the posts , I supply machine knitting wool on 500gm cones in superwash, acrylic for baby wear and also cotton. I also stock a variety yarn for hand knitting. If anyone wants accessories for machines or buy a new machine I can supply.
    as well as classes. Margaret.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi all just reading the posts , I supply machine knitting wool on 500gm cones in superwash, acrylic for baby wear and also cotton. I also stock a variety yarn for hand knitting. If anyone wants accessories for machines or buy a new machine I can supply.

Hi mag1234

Just a friendly warning, we do not allow direct selling/advertising on this forum as per the charter. Please have a read of it and refrain from posting only to advertise your goods/services.

Thanks,
    Cork_girl

ooops Mags123, I would be interested in prices, postage costs etc. can you PM more details?

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hi mag1234

Just a friendly warning, we do not allow direct selling/advertising on this forum as per the charter. Please have a read of it and refrain from posting only to advertise your goods/services.

Thanks,
    Cork_girl
    Just new to the site So sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

this is useful to know, margaret, there aren't so many suppliers of Machine Knitting accessories in Ireland, as far as I can see, at least.
    i'm a bit away from you, i'm in limerick, but it's not too far up the road if i really needed something,
    thanks
    liz

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

would you possibly have an idea of a website or pattern company that woulld do more modern kinds of jumpers like a womens tight fitted one.

hi Lauren,
    may i suggest the Ravelry site for help with both machine and hand knitting queries, advice, free patterns, huge bank of resources, some free, some you pay for, downloads and at least 4000 knitters on it, albeit mostly handknitters,
    there's a Machine Knitters group on Ravelry, and a very helpful group of people and photos of their machine knit projects (FO and WIP, ie finished objects and work in progress),
    i have learnt lots there,
    try this: http://www.ravelry.com/ and
    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/machine-knitting,
    "A place to discuss machine knitting where machine knitters of all persuasions are welcome",

ps Winding the wool over the wax onto the woolwinder means also that the wool has even tension and you can feed it from the inside of the 'yarn-cake' you get when you wind the wool with the winder, also called Central Pull,
    as opposed to using wool from a normal ball of wool that you would use for handknitting, (a) it's not waxed and will not machine knit as well as waxed wool and (b) the ball will inevitably jump around and be under uneven tension and cause difficulties in the machine...

duckling10 wrote: »
    hi Lauren,
    may i suggest the Ravelry site for help with both machine and hand knitting queries, advice, free patterns, huge bank of resources, some free, some you pay for, downloads and at least 4000 knitters on it, albeit mostly handknitters,
    there's a Machine Knitters group on Ravelry, and a very helpful group of people and photos of their machine knit projects (FO and WIP, ie finished objects and work in progress),
    i have learnt lots there,
    try this: http://www.ravelry.com/ and
    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/machine-knitting,
    "A place to discuss machine knitting where machine knitters of all persuasions are welcome",

ps Winding the wool over the wax onto the woolwinder means also that the wool has even tension and you can feed it from the inside of the 'yarn-cake' you get when you wind the wool with the winder, also called Central Pull,
    as opposed to using wool from a normal ball of wool that you would use for handknitting, (a) it's not waxed and will not machine knit as well as waxed wool and (b) the ball will inevitably jump around and be under uneven tension and cause difficulties in the machine...

Hi Duckling 10.

I used Raverly before, i must get back on to it (Haven't been knitting in a few months). Yay i had some succesful knitting over the weekend after i eventually figured out what tention the wool needed. However i have found that it can be very akward to machine knit ribbing, you have to knit the whole thing and then unravel where you want ribbing. Is there some easier way to do this without a pattern card, im not even sure if you can do it with a pattern card.

One thing i have found is that the carraige can still be hard to full especially towards the end of the row, even after messing with the tension and using the wax on the wool.

Im machine knitting some squares for a blanket so that i can get used to the machine as well as have something useful to use. The problem is that i don't have any pattern cards and the purl side and plain side is very boring. Is there anything else i could do to make it more interesting. Even an indiction to a website that would give me tips for such squares would be great.

Thanks for all your help. I'll eventually get the hang of it.

Hello Everybody,

I just bought some pattern cards for my knitting machine but i didn't realise that they don't automatically come pre punch. Such a pain especailly seeing as i don't have a proper thing to punch the cards with.

I was wondering is there something else that i could use to punch out the holes, i dont particualry wont to go and buy a punch seeing as they are quiet expensive. Ive seen them for about €30, but as well seeing that i have just spent money on buying some pattern cards and then realising that i already had that set. (also not punch).

oh and seeing as i have a knitmaster machine would i have to buy a knitmaster punch? I think i might have to buy one that allows for 24 stitches, i dont really understand. i thought you just punch one hole at a time but i guess maybe not.

Thanks for your help,

Lauren

• Advertisement

God that's a pain, are there no holes in the sheets at all or just no holes along the edge?
    Do you have a link?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement