Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gingerbread Run 2016 - 10k & Half - Potarlingon - Nov 20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hi all,

Just a quick post to say that the half distance is 65% full and we expect it to fully sell out well in advance like usual.

You can enter at

www.active.com
    www.popupraces.ie

Half is now at 75%, the 10k is closed and the only way to enter is to enter the half event and step down.

www.active.com
    www.popupraces.ie

We are at 90% now and anyone who enters from Sept 20th on can't be guranteed their t shirt size.

Any names changes or transfers need to be done by Nov 2.

New routes will be put up online here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Just checked out the routes posted on Facebook. Interesting routes to say the least and going to be a challenge in places. A lot of my local running routes taken in so at least I'll know where I'm going. Starting on an incline will be a first! Killenard will present an interesting challenge I bet, but at least the direction travelled going through it is the nice way through it!

racersedge wrote: »
    Just checked out the routes posted on Facebook. Interesting routes to say the least and going to be a challenge in places. A lot of my local running routes taken in so at least I'll know where I'm going. Starting on an incline will be a first! Killenard will present an interesting challenge I bet, but at least the direction travelled going through it is the nice way through it!

The half has changed again after talking the council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

The half has changed again after talking the council

Any news on the route changes? Didn’t see anything on FB

EDit wrote: »
    Any news on the route changes? Didn’t see anything on FB

It will be posted, same elevation.

The updated half map is on our FB page.

The race will close for entry at 23:59 Tonight.

For anyone doing the 10K, I did a recce of the route a few weeks ago based on the images of the routes shown. Took a few screenshot from Strava to highlight the route. Admitedly, the elevation profile looks a bit tougher when you condense it down on Runkeeper!

A few personal thoughts based on that might help people. First half is definitely the more challenging element as you that is where the bulk of the inclines are. Second half is where you can really make up time. I found the 5K to come not far past the Killenard main gates, right before a lovely long decline. A couple of quick up and over the railway bridges to be mindful in the second half. Something for both races to be mindful of is about 1.5K from the end, which goes on to a good ol' fashioned country lane with a grass verge up the middle. I'd reckon just be conscious of others around you, particularly if your in a group as while there is room for 2-4 people to run side by side, if we have varying paces or merging races it could be somthing to be mindful about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

For anyone doing the 10K, I did a recce of the route a few weeks ago based on the images of the routes shown. Took a few screenshot from Strava to highlight the route. Admitedly, the elevation profile looks a bit tougher when you condense it down on Runkeeper!

A few personal thoughts based on that might help people. First half is definitely the more challenging element as you that is where the bulk of the inclines are. Second half is where you can really make up time. I found the 5K to come not far past the Killenard main gates, right before a lovely long decline. A couple of quick up and over the railway bridges to be mindful in the second half. Something for both races to be mindful of is about 1.5K from the end, which goes on to a good ol' fashioned country lane with a grass verge up the middle. I'd reckon just be conscious of others around you, particularly if your in a group as while there is room for 2-4 people to run side by side, if we have varying paces or merging races it could be somthing to be mindful about.

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement

Good honest view there, cheers and great to get feedback in advance !

I ran the 10k yesterday and loved it hills and all :D I think some got a shock because of the hills. but I hope the route stays the same. but I am hoping next year I can run the Half

racersedge your description was spot on and I knew I was close to the finish once we turned on to the road with the grass growing up the middle, thankfully no problems with anyone passing as the faster HM runners ran past

It was a great day and a great event I felt sorry for one of the poor Marshals on one of the bridges having to deal with one horrible driver giving him grief

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Baby75 wrote: »
    I ran the 10k yesterday and loved it hills and all :D I think some got a shock because of the hills. but I hope the route stays the same. but I am hoping next year I can run the Half

Yep, I drove down to Portarlington to run in the 10K too and I really enjoyed it, the hills were a bit tough but I really enjoyed the course all the same.

Very good numbers at the race and a great atmosphere too, very inclusive for runners at all levels, I would strongly recommend it to any Boardies or friends too.

The free Gingerbread man and bottle of craft beer were a nice touch too in the ultra friendly GAA hall afterwards. The medal was pretty cool too, with a built in bottle opener, very handy for the upcoming Christmas house parties ;)

Special mention to the Stewards, pacers and race organisers too, a really good race....great job!

Thanks so much for that.

The new routes got decent feedback, apart from the hills.

We hope to be back in 2019, we have a few things to sort out first. I hope the beer was nice

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Loved the route, although I wasn't saying that after 4k :D

Fair play to all involved especially the volunteers, organisers, stewards and sponsors, who without their drive and commitment none of this would be possible.

With regards to the race fee and what you get (running top, beany hat, medal/bottle opener, bottle of beer, protein drink and gingerbread man) it really is great value for money.

ROLL ON NEXT YEAR!!!

Thanks so much for that.

The new routes got decent feedback, apart from the hills.

We hope to be back in 2019, we have a few things to sort out first. I hope the beer was nice

Mark

Keep up the great work you and all your team do :) and I hope you are back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Really enjoyable HM if a lot more challenging than when I last ran it in 2014. Huge queues for the beer and gingerbread after so I didn’t bother.

Im a stickler for punctuality so the 13 minute delay at the start annoyed me a bit. Other than that everything was to class. Will run it again next year.

Really enjoyable HM if a lot more challenging than when I last ran it in 2014. Huge queues for the beer and gingerbread after so I didn’t bother.

Im a stickler for punctuality so the 13 minute delay at the start annoyed me a bit. Other than that everything was to class. Will run it again next year.

Me too:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I really enjoyed this run on Sunday.

I finished in 2:16 which isn't a PB for me, but is the best time I've done in a long time.

I started off with the 2:20 pacers who were just brilliant altogether, so good at their job. When I looked back at my km splits a lot of them were identical. At 18km I went off on my own. I should have believed in myself and went at 16km as I had originally planned, but for the first time ever I was enjoying a HM so didn't want to ruin things by suddenly pushing too hard.

I had looked at the elevation map in advance so knew to expect kms 7-10 and 13-16 to be the tough parts of the run. I found it quite amusing that so many were complaining (mid-race and on social media afterwards) about the 'unexpected' hills. Why people complain about hills on a route or why they don't check a map of the route beforehand (especially for a HM) is beyond me.

To the man who almost drove over one of the female marshals and some runners when he decided he didn't want to stop as directed - poor form.

Totally random comment, but it was great having the Spar so close to the finish line so I could leggit in for some milk afterwards too! :) Weather was great too and the route was lovely. Very scenic, especially the bit through the forest area.

The GR18 top is the nicest top I've ever gotten in a race. I think I like it even more because my initials are GR! :D The OH - who doesn't run - wishes he had gone and done it, just to get a top!

Thank you to the organisers.

Really enjoyed the run myself. Glad that some of you found my mapped run and elevation of the 10K to be a help. I was busily handing out advice to a few who were enquiring as we went about! The route was challenging, and I'm sure a few weren't a fan of the inclines. That said, had the course been in a reverse it would have been a greater challenge. That long decline out of a Killenard is an utter ***** going up it!! I think a lot of people expected it to be last years and relatively flat. I actually enjoyed the fact it was a circuit rather than an up-and-back like last year!

For myself, it ended up been a nice easy run as I was pacing my dad. Originally was supposed to be my wife but we signed up before she got pregnant. So it was lovely to run it with my Dad. Came in just over the hour. Delighted to get the hat again. Lat years hat has gotten plenty of wear and that above all else is the best thing out of the goodie bag. Everyone can do a t-shirt but a good hat... that doesn't always come around!

Well done to all the organisers. I can only imagine how much time and effort it takes to coordinate the two events with that amount of participant - all while trying to balance health and safety and trying to appease all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Well run race, great marshals and super top & hat plus beer. Thanks to all for another good event

Hi all,

The 2019 event opened at 14:00 today with 400 early bird places.

80 are gone in the first hr!!

https://www.popupraces.ie/events/the-gingerbread-run-2019/

There are less than 100 places left in the 10k and about 40 in the half early bird.

You can enter www.popupraces.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just registered for the 10k again. :)

Just some updates.

We are at 90% capacity.

Hat, t shirt and medal are on the Facebook page.

The route for 2019 is on the page as well ( the half is a double 10k loop )

We will do up some FAQ at a meeting on Thursday and i'll post them here.

Enter at www.popupraces.ie

We are sold out.

The half starts at 12 with the 10k at 12:30. There will be a race brief for all runners at 11:40 in the GAA car park.

There's free parking in Portarlington Train Station on Sunday, we would ask you to use this and not to park elsewhere. Also parking is limited so try to car pool where possible.

Number collection will be available from 16:00 to 18:00 on Saturday and 09:00 to 11:15 on Sunday at McCann GAA centre in Portarlington which is race HQ. If there are any problems at registration we will have a team there to sort them out for you.

Goodie bags and t shirts will be given out after the race in the GAA centre and your size will be on your number.

You must have your number to collect the goodie bag and t shirt.

There will be 3 water stations on the half and 1 on the 10k.

We will some rolling road closures on the day but always be aware of traffic.

All results will go live on Pop Up Races and you must have your number to get a time at the end.

We would ask to run on the left and follow the marshals instructions.

It is an offence to litter so please do not, if you have a bottle use on the of large bins provided or drop it at one of our signs on the route.

There will be 12 portable toilets and an urinal on site. The toilets in the GAA centre will not be open and we are not permitted to use them.

This week is going to be very busy for us and we will get back to any messages when we can note we don't post items and you can't defer your entry.

To make sure there is the maximum amount of money possible for charity there will be no prize money. We see The Gingerbread Run as a fun day out and everyone is a winner by completing the run and raising funds for LOFFA and Bumbleance.

See you all on the 17th😊

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Can someone tell me what the elevation profile on the 10km is?
    Basically still have a slightly tender foot from an injury some months ago and wouldn’t be able to handle a hammering flying down a crazy descent. Thanks

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the elevation profile on the 10km is?
    Basically still have a slightly tender foot from an injury some months ago and wouldn’t be able to handle a hammering flying down a crazy descent. Thanks

This is the posted route from their Facebook page. Some tweaks looking at it compared to last year (such as not starting on the hill at Corrig Wood :pac::pac: and instead of going out the back of Killenard we go closer into town and out behind the industrial estate area (smallish road but defintely more space on the road than there was on the lane used last year) so some nice improvements. In case your curious, I did a lap prior to it last year and this was the elevation profile I found so if you need more info.

Tough but fair course. Shame this wasn't before Dublin as it would of been a great training route to be honest. Keep your powder dry on the first part of the course.

The first 5k (up until you read Killenard) has the most drags. Don't burn yourself out going up the aforemetioned hill at Corrig Wood as there is little to no payback for that effort immediately after I find. At 3K there is another long drag up for roughly half a klick - but the advantage is you get immediate payback from it all the way down to the hairpin turn. Into Killenard you are heading upwards - but its gradual. Keep that powder dry until you have gone past the gates of Killenard though (which this year looking at the map is after the 5K mark) - lovely downhill after that. Great view of the surrounding area. Enjoy it (and be glad your not running up that hill too!) Last bit of a drag up is between 6 and 7 but again you get immediate payback as you head towards the the main port road.

Tough but fair course in my view. If you keep yourself in good shape through the first 5K, you can really power on for the second half. Thats my few tidbits anyway!

• Advertisement

This is the posted route from their Facebook page. Some tweaks looking at it compared to last year (such as not starting on the hill at Corrig Wood :pac::pac: and instead of going out the back of Killenard we go closer into town and out behind the industrial estate area (smallish road but defintely more space on the road than there was on the lane used last year) so some nice improvements. In case your curious, I did a lap prior to it last year and this was the elevation profile I found so if you need more info.

Tough but fair course. Shame this wasn't before Dublin as it would of been a great training route to be honest. Keep your powder dry on the first part of the course.

The first 5k (up until you read Killenard) has the most drags. Don't burn yourself out going up the aforemetioned hill at Corrig Wood as there is little to no payback for that effort immediately after I find. At 3K there is another long drag up for roughly half a klick - but the advantage is you get immediate payback from it all the way down to the hairpin turn. Into Killenard you are heading upwards - but its gradual. Keep that powder dry until you have gone past the gates of Killenard though (which this year looking at the map is after the 5K mark) - lovely downhill after that. Great view of the surrounding area. Enjoy it (and be glad your not running up that hill too!) Last bit of a drag up is between 6 and 7 but again you get immediate payback as you head towards the the main port road.

Tough but fair course in my view. If you keep yourself in good shape through the first 5K, you can really power on for the second half. Thats my few tidbits anyway!

Hills me hole

Advertisement