Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC "reform" to match the new JC "reform"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Reformed History LC: The 2020 US Presidential election would have benefited from the use of Dotmocracy. Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

Ya I do wonder what exactly is going on at primary level that we are still teaching this stuff at second level. I'm not blaming primary teachers, they are delivering the course given to them, but what the fcuk is going on?

I think (without current experience so probably worthless but by listening to bits and pieces) teachers are less able to insist that students actually do what they are told. Its more about not hurting feelings and not fighting battles because the teacher is always wrong and theres f all real back up.

At least with a certain cohort that resist doing things like following instructions/procedure ....almost as if they have gotten away with it before and have an expectation of doing it again

Eg: take something like plotting a graph or bar chart, just the act of drawing a set of axes, scaling it appropriately, plotting coordinates etc......now you can do many and varied activities to help understand a graph etc but sooner or later students will need to be able to sit down and plot one accurately for themselves so you provide clear instruction and require each student to practice for themselves answer questions and give feedback

In the not so distant past that was mostly what happened with the odd issue you had to deal with but listening to whats coming back now theres are a much larger cohort of students that are more than capable of carrying out simple procedural tasks but choose not to or resist doing anything like what they are being asked to do for as long as possible......its boring, i dont have my copy, but you said, are we supposed to do that, I dont understand it (despite the fact I spent the entire time you explained it twice disrupting as many people as I could) etc.......the numbers that have some sort of an issue with doing what they are told, dont do it and use every excuse under the sun and continue to do so after interventions from disciplinary structures within school (with patents being called in etc) is just becoming overwhelming in a class situation and in my mind at least thats probably happening at primary..... its just too much something that could happen relatively efficiently if the teacher had more authority is being thwarted by a small (but I think the ranks are swelling) of students that do everything except what they should be doing because theres really f all you can do abput it without it having negative consequences for you rather than the students that have been let do what they want more or less unchallenged from when the behavioir first started.....multiply that by all the similar skills that require instruction and require the majority of students doing what they are told and exercising some self control....something thats becoming less common and you can see another reason for a new jc ....except I think if you lower the bar youll still find a group that will limbo under it rather than jump over it.

Going after the numbers involved is fast becoming unreasonable expectation to put on one person or even a school management but it was always going to be that way with the way autonomy, authority and standards have been slowly eroded/undermined.

Stuff like the new JC is just a symptom of a broader problem thats not going away no matter how hard its brushed under the carpet......

Either that or there are two streams in primary....the ones that actually do the work and the other one that spends it's time making paintings with potato halves while picking its nose and are told they are wonderful, never wrong and its character building to resist doing anything you are told to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'd fully agree. I've said it on here several times, I reckon a decent 5th/6th class student could sit the JC science paper in its current format and pass it without ever having sat in a science class in secondary school..

Yes. And yet it is completely inaccessible to many students due to the literacy level required. It is the absolute worst type of exam - easy with zero effort for those with good natural academic ability and decent literacy, and far beyond many with literacy and learning difficulties no matter how hard they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Too many spurious theories being pushed forward as a silver bullet.

Remember every guidance counsellor suddenly wanting us to teach to learning styles that don't exist.

Afl strategies like traffic lights and thumbs up rather than a teacher actually giving a proper blind test to see if students knew the material.

Wellbeing programmes to cater to anxiety issues caused by students worrying about never being confident about knowing anything fully because it's all self assessment or peer assessment.

Managing myself initiatives.... That are supervised by the class tutor.

Basically points to people not wanting to take responsibility for learning anymore - snakeoil salesmen like the JCT who push reflections rather than proper external assessments to quality control, and students and parents who don't want to sit down and do the boring grunt work of hard learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I'd fully agree. I've said it on here several times, I reckon a decent 5th/6th class student could sit the JC science paper in its current format and pass it without ever having sat in a science class in secondary school.

The history teacher was showing me the new history paper at school today. Again another joke.

Agreed. The gap between JC science and any of the LC science subjects is ridiculous. I'm only a 2nd year PME but I gave my first year science class a test the other week where I asked for definitions. You should have seen the nonsense I got back from some of them. Now, it seems definitions are not a priority in the new JC as none of the sample/past papers have asked for them so in theory I shouldn't be worrying about it. But I'm of the opinion that in science, certain words mean very specific things, and when it comes to LC the marking schemes are so particular that it's best to drill this into them early. I'd hate for them to think they can get away with telling me that an organ is "a thing like your brain" only for them to get a shock in 5th year when they need to be much more specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

A DCU academic named Greg Foley wrote this very informative letter into The Irish Times earlier this month, highlighting the thinking behind the OECD view on education. The whole letter is worth reading, but it's fascinating that one person's educational philosophy could be so influential in how entire societies teach - especially a philosophy which doesn't prioritise knowledge as such.

Greg Foley, The OECD and Irish education
    .... Obviously, the OECD looks at education from the perspective of economic development and growth but what else do we know about it? The first thing to know is that the key person in all of this is Dr Andreas Schleicher, director for the OECD directorate of education and skills, a statistician by training.

.... Dr Schleicher has a particular view of education that can be summed up in this quote from an interview in a Sydney newspaper: “We’re thinking about 2030, knowledge about maths and science is easy to digitise but the future is different, the modern world doesn’t reward us for what we know, we can get that from Google, but how we apply knowledge.

The belief is that, in the age of Google, knowledge (retained in long-term memory) is rendered obsolete, and education should focus on developing the skills required to use knowledge that can be sourced from the internet in seconds.

Many eminent cognitive scientists and teachers disagree profoundly with Dr Schleicher’s view, including Daniel Willingham from the University of Virginia, Paul Kirschner of the Open University of the Netherlands, and countless others, including Daisy Christodoulou whose short book, Seven Myths about Education, is an essential read for all teachers. Indeed, I suspect that if you did a poll of third-level lecturers, you would find the vast majority would disagree with the premise that students don’t need to have lots of knowledge in their long-term memories because, as the saying goes, knowledge is what we actually think with....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

gaiscioch wrote: »
    A DCU academic named Greg Foley wrote this very informative letter into The Irish Times earlier this month, highlighting the thinking behind the OECD view on education. The whole letter is worth reading, but it's fascinating that one person's educational philosophy could be so influential in how entire societies teach - especially a philosophy which doesn't prioritise knowledge as such.

Greg Foley, The OECD and Irish education

Absolutely spot on. Without information that is learned to form complex frameworks or patterns to then apply to other situations critical thinking is impossible. Even in college the process by which scientist have made ground breaking discoveries is taught and hopefully learned, this is assimilated into a lens through which to view information over time. If your brain is full of opinions that are unfounded and memes you are unlikely to be able to critically assess health policy or decide if there lunatic you are listening to on youtube is a real expert. You have to have a feeling (and I use feeling as a shorthand for long, hard won judgement call based on experience) for what fits within the framework of knowledge you already possess to decide whether this new information may be confirmed or rejected. When it comes down to it I don't want my doctor deciding any drug dosage based on his opinion, I'd like him to follow the strict guidelines he learned how to apply and was accurately tested on being able to apply correctly.

Advertisement