Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate installed indoor camera in communal room

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

lawred2 wrote: »
    I doubt the power source for this camera is anything other than a wall socket

yeah so killing power to the sockets would switch off the camera.
    (which is what he means I presume)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Smear a thick layer of Vaseline on the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wexie wrote: »
    yeah so killing power to the sockets would switch off the camera.
    (which is what he means I presume)

ah so no recording of the camera being removed

it's early - coffee number 2 obviously needed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Take a picture of the living room, stand it a couple of inches in front of the camera.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Take a picture of the living room, stand it a couple of inches in front of the camera.

funny-bosses-office-pranks-1-5ac4caa97ae61__605.jpg

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The camera is none of the LLs concern, it's not grounds for getting anyone evicted*.

The smoking inside, using illegal drugs and having a dog in the house on the other hand may be of interest to the LL so this is that avenue they need to go down but at the end of the day he may say (and would be within us rights to) that goings on in the house are none of his concern and tenants need to sort it out amount themselves.

*I'm not defending the housemate by the way I'd want the camera gone and him gone as much as anyone though the smoking and dog in the house would actually be much bigger annoyances for me than the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,699 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The camera is none of the LLs concern, it's not grounds for getting anyone evicted*.

The smoking inside, using illegal drugs and having a dog in the house on the other hand may be of interest to the LL so this is that avenue they need to go down but at the end of the day he may say (and would be within us rights to) that goings on in the house are none of his concern and tenants need to sort it out amount themselves.

*I'm not defending the housemate by the way I'd want the camera gone and him gone as much as anyone though the smoking and dog in the house would actually be much bigger annoyances for me than the camera.

ya a dude smoking out of your view and a wee dog trotting around the place is worse than someone monitoring your every move in your own home.

Id garner you wouldnt be a fan of this in your personal environment Nox. (without the landlord hat on)

listermint wrote: »
    ya a dude smoking out of your view and a wee dog trotting around the place is worse than someone monitoring your every move in your own home.

Id garner you wouldnt be a fan of this in your personal environment Nox. (without the landlord hat on)

I didn't say I would be happy with it in a houseshare* but worst case you can plug it out when you are there and plug it back in. I can't stand smoking in the house especially weed, it's goes everywhere even if they only do it in their room and then a dog roaming everywhere putting hair on everything and likely p*ssing and s**tting everywhere would be worse imo. None are good but for my actual quality of life in the house the smoking is defefinitely the worst and likely the dog next. The point I was making really though is that a camera is not grounds for a LL to evict anyway.

*its not a clear cut "don't want to be monitored" thing in every scenario. In a houseshare no but in a family home or a couples home it's common to have cameras nowadays incl indoor ones and things like ring doorbells or triggered motion sensors that alert when someone gets home etc etc these id have no issue with in a non-houseshare environment even though multiple people may have access to the cameras etc.

It's actually an interesting topic though, would people be against all types of cameras even an outdoor one for security or a ring door bell in a house share? It's something I've never really thought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't know why people are getting so hung up on the dog, for all we know both the LL and the housemates are perfectly happy for the dog to be there. The issue is the paranoid stoner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭dog tired

Get a dog run, put the dog into it everyday and have the camera looking into the dog run. Should keep him happy that he's watching the dog but just not in the house.

• Advertisement

Ask him is he GDPR compliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

dog tired wrote: »
    Get a dog run, put the dog into it everyday and have the camera looking into the dog run. Should keep him happy that he's watching the dog but just not in the house.

The dog owner should find a solution like this - not the OP. And it would also need to be in agreement with the other tenants first as the garden would also be considered a communal area.

LasersGoPewPew:
    Does the landlord know about the dog? Was the dog there before you and others moved in? Or did they just one day decide to bring a dog into the house and you had to go along with it?
    Does the landlord know about the camera? If not call and demand its taken down. Fair enough if the LL wants to improve security and get a system in. But in general the cameras are normally pointed at entrances not just plonked in living spaces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I don't know why people are getting so hung up on the dog, for all we know both the LL and the housemates are perfectly happy for the dog to be there. The issue is the paranoid stoner.

YES!!!!!
    Jesus, people really have hangups about dogs in Ireland.
    Can't bring them to the beach, the park, any cafe or restaurant, rented accommodation, public transport, etc...
    All none issues in all European countries.
    I lived in the middle of fcuking nowhere when signs appeared on the road that this was a walking route and it said no dogs!
    I let the dog piss against the sign, pissed against it myself and went on my daily walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

You must be the most understanding housemates on the planet - when I houseshared in college (granted a long time ago), people nearly came to blows over the relative position of food in the fridge - having a drug-smoking, dog-owning, spy-camera-watching nutjob in the house would have led to midnight burials in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

A long term tenant in our houseshare installed a indoor camera capable of recording both video and audio, and I think has rotational capability. He said he installed it in the living room to 'watch his dog' which has free roam of the communal spaces when he's gone to work.

The other tenents and I in the house rightfully opposed this and demanded him to take it down due to privacy issues. When we unplugged it on a few occasions and confronted him, he got very aggressive about it and keeps plugging it in.

The tenent spends all his time in his room smoking Cannabis(stinks up the house) when he's at home and does not interact with the rest of us, the other tenents and I regularly use the living room for watching TV and playing console games together during our free time.

I am concerned he will do something to my car like key it because he's the type of guy who would do it, if I bin his camera altogether.

Can anybody please advise how to deal with this difficult tenent and matter?

Edit: can a mod please correct the title to living room

You have got a right to privacy, landlord is your first call

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

YES!!!!!
    Can't bring them to the beach, the park, any cafe or restaurant, rented accommodation, public transport, etc...
    I lived in the middle of fcuking nowhere when signs appeared on the road that this was a walking route and it said no dogs!
    I let the dog piss against the sign, pissed against it myself and went on my daily walk.

It is not the dog for me, my hang up is about the camera, a dog lover myself and have dogs, but recordings from camera can be shown to anyone, , when we shut our doors it is our time our privacy in our homes, I would not stay in a house where my moves in any room are being recorded, private , not public

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

DubJJ wrote: »
    Do you really think that's an acceptable compromise?

Not to me, no.

GBX wrote: »
    Does the landlord know about the camera? If not call and demand its taken down.

What grounds can the LL demand its taken down?

How crazy would it look if a couple were renting the house and one of them rang the LL and demanded that he tell their partner to remove a security camera or if a teen living with his family rang up and demand the LL tell his parents remove the baby cam that his parents use for his baby brother as he feels its monitoring his movements.

I don't agree with the tenant having a camera but I can't fathom how people think its the LLs issue. Is it the LLs job to decide who has which shelf in the fridge or who gets to watch tv on a Tuesday night? as far as the camera is concerned this is an issue between the people living in the house and its up to them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How crazy would it look if a couple were renting the house and one of them rang the LL and demanded that he tell their partner to remove a security camera or if a teen living with his family rang up and demand the LL tell his parents remove the baby cam that his parents use for his baby brother as he feels its monitoring his movements.

They're very different scenarios to platonic relationships such as in house shares.

They're very different scenarios to platonic relationships such as in house shares.

yeah but still not an issue for the LL is it?

this is 'just' a dispute between housemates really, hardly much different than who cleans the bathroom or puts out the bins.

I think the fact that it's a camera (which may or may not be recording, do we know this?) is throwing people off a bit.

Imagine if it was a different electrical device (let's say a lavalamp) causing the dispute, would you think it to be an issue for the LL to deal with then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

IMHO so what if he gets agressive if you demand he takee it down? Seriously like. just grow some balls and tell him either he removes it or you're removing it but either way its getting removed. Let him throw a strop. Man-childs do that.

FFS, what ever happened to just taking a stand and being an adult about things. Fcuking bubblewrapped kids way of dealing with day to day confrontation this is.

And seriously, its all kinds of pathetic fcuked up that so many people here jump straight to the "rat on the guy" route rather then person to person dispute resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

It's really nothing to do with the land lord unless you are all on separate leases which contain a clause against such things. You could possibly take him to court under some data protection rules but i am not sure how that works in a house share, certainly i would feel you should be able to expect a right to privacy in your own living room so have a good case. Probably better to simply disable the camera and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What grounds can the LL demand its taken down?

I don't agree with the tenant having a camera but I can't fathom how people think its the LLs issue. Is it the LLs job to decide who has which shelf in the fridge or who gets to watch tv on a Tuesday night? as far as the camera is concerned this is an issue between the people living in the house and its up to them to sort it out.

Yes, people should sort things among themselves. Fridge shelf space and a camera are not the same. But the OP has said he is living with a paranoid aggressor. I would imagine coming to an agreement is not in this person's mindset. I would also believe he doesn't give a sh1t about others given he has a camera in the first place. So yes, contacting the landlord and pointing out that privacy and drug use is a factor and see how they get on. Other than that, its get onto the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The joint tenants are quietly enjoying their property as far as the landlord is concerned.

There is a dispute between the joint tenants.

Do you think the landlord should arbitrate the dispute? How much should he charge the joint tenants for arbitrating the dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

YES!!!!!

If it's a public road nó one has the right to tell you not to bring the dog...
    If it's a private road then they've every right to say keep the dog out... There's a private road (and lovely walk) near me with a sign saying farm no dogs allowed, which walkers take no notice of... Most with dogs off leads, owner'll go with barbed wire, big gates and high fences a day no entry soon...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm gonna go with the hammer idea. Smash the camera, leave it at his door.
    Repeat the process until the cameras stop appearing - I'm not having some weirdo monitoring me in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

YES!!!!!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

IMHO so what if he gets agressive if you demand he takee it down? Seriously like. just grow some balls and tell him either he removes it or you're removing it but either way its getting removed. Let him throw a strop. Man-childs do that.

FFS, what ever happened to just taking a stand and being an adult about things. Fcuking bubblewrapped kids way of dealing with day to day confrontation this is.

And seriously, its all kinds of pathetic fcuked up that so many people here jump straight to the "rat on the guy" route rather then person to person dispute resolution.

Many people are very passive aggressive these days and skirt around issues without addressing them.

OP - tell the creep to lose the camera or you will involve the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

YES!!!!!

great story

zilch to do with a dog in shared rental accommodation all the same

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Markcheese wrote: »
    If it's a public road nó one has the right to tell you not to bring the dog...
    If it's a private road then they've every right to say keep the dog out... There's a private road (and lovely walk) near me with a sign saying farm no dogs allowed, which walkers take no notice of... Most with dogs off leads, owner'll go with barbed wire, big gates and high fences a day no entry soon...

This was a public road. Open to everyone.
    But OK, getting very OT now, apologies.

Advertisement