Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin split up today 40 years ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great band and looking forward to the new documentary thats coming out soon

Lucky enough to see Robert Plant and one of his bands play a gig in Waterford. Kind of a folk band last year

https://youtu.be/gEudN7Sfyq4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Deep purple live in Japan is the only dad rock I like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

OldRio wrote: »
    Immigrant Song

We come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
    The hammer of the gods
    Will drive our ships to new lands
    To fight the horde, sing and cry
    Valhalla, I am coming

2 and a half minutes of utter brilliance.

You didn't think you needed this in your life, but you did, and still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Probably the most over rated band of all time and that is coming from someone who rates Led Zep. Bonham was, of course, a genius but all the same, over rated due to his young demise which it true of other artists who died young.

Greatest 70s rock band? by a country mile Thin Lizzy; they should have conquered the world and most probably would have if certain band members didn't fall ill during crucial touring time, namely in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Was Jimmy’s wife still underage then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Probably the most over rated band of all time and that is coming from someone who rates Led Zep. Bonham was, of course, a genius but all the same, over rated due to his young demise which it true of other artists who died young.

Greatest 70s rock band? by a country mile Thin Lizzy; they should have conquered the world and most probably would have if certain band members didn't fall ill during crucial touring time, namely in the States.

Much as we all love lizzy, they were never going to make it to the level Zeppelin and the rest were at, They got the reputation of being a singles band in the era of the album.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funny how tastes differ, I was never into punk myself and one of the main reasons is the shortness of tracks and simplicity. Seemed almost neanderthal-ish when compared to the prog rock bands I was listening to.

Give me 20 minute songs with 50 different layers and tangents please :D

Its all virtuoso ****, the only prog rock acts worth a curse are Hawkwind (not really prog) and King Crimson.

Intesting that back in the early days progressive rock didnt mean twenty minute ****ing synth operas and all that oul bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

First concert I went to was Hawkwind in 72. Space Ritual tour. Unbelievable and unforgettable. One of my favourite bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Bambi wrote: »
    Much as we all love lizzy, they were never going to make it to the level Zeppelin and the rest were at, They got the reputation of being a singles band in the era of the album.

They might have that reputation but it's undeserved. Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Johnny The Fox, Black Rose: A Rock Legend and Live And Dangerous are all great albums.

One of the best ever. I don’t care what they got up to off stage, they made some of the best music I’ve ever heard. Never seen them live, only in Page & Plant guise (JPJ with them also).

• Advertisement

They were all brilliantly talented, but for me JPJ was the unsung musical hero of Zeppelin.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Led Zeppelin are the stuff of rock legend - and deservedly so.

They have always been one of my all time favourite music acts and I have six of their albums on CD. First heard them as a 14 year old listening to my older sisters Led Zeppelin II. :) Although their core was rock and blues, they explored folk, traditional and even pop in their albums - particularly on Led Zeppelin III and Houses of the Holy.

My top Led Zep track would be When The Levee Breaks from IV (untitled) - it is just really superb stuff with Memphis Minnie on guitars as well as the lads. Stairway to Heaven is of course a complete classic but Led Zeppelin really had an incredible array of work in the 12 short years they were together as a band. Their peak was around 1971/2 I reckon with their output after 1975’s Physical Graffitti declining in quality.

They emerged almost fully formed - just listen to their debut album Led Zeppelin. Recorded over just a week in the Autumn of 1968 and it still sounds so good after 52 years. Remember that hard rock was only in its infancy in the late 1960s and it is pretty incredible to think how a number like Dazed and Confused was released just a few short years after Beatlemania.

Of course, I would have given my eye teeth to see them live but I was like only 5 when they split. When Jimmy Page and Robert Plant briefly got back together in the mid 1990s I really wanted to see them but alas all their dates were of course immediately sold out.

Can you imagine a band like Led Zeppelin emerging today? Just not possible. People will be listening to their music in 100 years’ time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One of the best ever. I don’t care what they got up to off stage, they made some of the best music I’ve ever heard. Never seen them live, only in Page & Plant guise (JPJ with them also).

You don’t care?
    A hedonistic lifestyle is one thing, Jimmy Page and the early teen girl is something different entirely.

Disagree. While the band was never able to translate the live vibe on the studio albums the albums, in and of themselves, are varied enough with a little bit of everything to keep the listener engaged throughout. Black Rose is a great example of this and Live and Dangerous was a huge huge record for them. Hugely innovative band. Massively charismatic frontman. They had everything.

Only for the fact Phil caught Hepatitis and later Robbo got into that altercation and cut his hand the band would have conquered the States, they were more or less in the process of doing so around the time of Jailbreak and it's a crying shame that luck conspired against them.

First concert I went to was Hawkwind in 72. Space Ritual tour. Unbelievable and unforgettable. One of my favourite bands.

I'm assuming it was very, very loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rothko wrote: »
    I'm assuming it was very, very loud.

My ears buzzed for a week after.

Also Stacia made quite an impression on this fourteen year old lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Disagree. While the band was never able to translate the live vibe on the studio albums the albums, in and of themselves, are varied enough with a little bit of everything to keep the listener engaged throughout. Black Rose is a great example of this and Live and Dangerous was a huge huge record for them. Hugely innovative band. Massively charismatic frontman. They had everything.

Only for the fact Phil caught Hepatitis and later Robbo got into that altercation and cut his hand the band would have conquered the States, they were more or less in the process of doing so around the time of Jailbreak and it's a crying shame that luck conspired against them.

They were down with the punks too. Lynott palling about with the Pistols and forming The Greedy Bastards. I believe Phils record collection contains a huge amount of punk .

My ears buzzed for a week after.

Also Stacia made quite an impression on this fourteen year old lad.

Lol, I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Was a big fan as a young teen in the mid 70s but punk just blew them away. I don't think their legacy has worn as well as other bands of the time, and Page in particular seems like a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Did anyone see the once off reunion gig they did in 2009? Apparently, all the songs were played in a lower key than the originals simply because Plant could no longer reach the high notes. Imagine paying 9,000 for that!
    Whenever I hear the name Knebworth I automatically say Knob - worth.
    Is there something wrong with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

That's just not fair :pac: Seeing a gig from that tour would be on my if you could go back in time wish list.

bullpost wrote: »
    They were down with the punks too. Lynott palling about with the Pistols and forming The Greedy Bastards. I believe Phils record collection contains a huge amount of punk .

Yes, and then later Metal with Thunder and Lightning with the recruitment of John Sykes.

Phil was no fool and had his finger on the pulse but the thing is is that he genuinely seemed to like the new movements sprouting up once classic rock had had it's time, he was inspired by it.

Lizzy were always like that though, fairly hard to market at the time. For every Bad Reputation there is a Sarah, for every Angel of Death there is a Still in Love with You.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its all virtuoso ****, the only prog rock acts worth a curse are Hawkwind (not really prog) and King Crimson.

Intesting that back in the early days progressive rock didnt mean twenty minute ****ing synth operas and all that oul bollix

You clearly just have no taste.

It's okay though, not all of us were blessed with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Gallows pole gets my vote as their best tune.

Album 3 is my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I hadn't listened to them in years till this thread , enjoying YouTube a bit more now
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Squeeze my lemon baby 'til the juice runs down my leg.

Rothko wrote: »
    They might have that reputation but it's undeserved. Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Johnny The Fox, Black Rose: A Rock Legend and Live And Dangerous are all great albums.

Honestly it aint, I think Jailbreak is the only studio album they made that is really all killer and no filler. but my favourite would be Vagabonds personally.

The bould Phil was a genius songwriter but a bit of a magpie in terms of muscial style, whether that was label and management pressure, them trying to hitch their wagon to other acts success or just Phils own personal preference I dunno but it didnt help them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lizzy were always like that though, fairly hard to market at the time. For every Bad Reputation there is a Sarah, for every Angel of Death there is a Still in Love with You.
    +1. I think by that stage of the music business the marketing had really kicked off and bands had to be easily marketed as one thing or another. I remember reading an interview years ago with some record company bigwig or other who noted that it would be hard to sell the Beatles beyond their very early days because it would be too confusing to the marketing dept and audiences because their output was "too diverse". OK we like the mop tops and holding hands, but WTF is A Day in the Life?? helter skelter!! Are you on heroin(yes. and pot and some acid). And you refuse to play gigs now? :D And they couldn't have done it without a) being stratospherically huge worldwide before they tried and b) scarily talented so could pull it off and c) being current in a very rapidly changing music and social scene.

Lizzy in many ways were more a "60's band" than a 70's one. Phil had range and the talent to make a rocker rock and a ballad ballad. That's a rare enough thing. Zep were of course bloody good, but were far more consistent within their genre and easier to sell. You knew whet you were going to get. If they had pulled a Sgt Pepper they'd have been screwed. Pink Floyd being a 60's band who had intently watched bands like the Beatles up close and ran with that could get away with it, while adding some of the 70's prog rock stuff. The Who similarly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Honestly it aint, I think Jailbreak is the only studio album they made that is really all killer and no filler. but my favourite would be Vagabonds personally.

The bould Phil was a genius songwriter but a bit of a magpie in terms of muscial style, whether that was label and management pressure, them trying to hitch their wagon to other acts success or just Phils own personal preference I dunno but it didnt help them

I'd have to disagree. What other acts do you think they were trying to emulate?

Btw, I think Vagabonds is a good album too but the production lets it down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Some band, one of the greatest if not THE greatest.
    Four musical genius in one band.
    Bonham especially, rewrote the template for rock drumming.
    Peter Grant was probably the best best band manager of them all, ripped up the rule book and rewrote it.
    Plenty of negatives about their off stage behaviour but as a band, with the amount of albums they sold and the attendance records they broke, we will never see their like again.

Advertisement