Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Zeppelin split up today 40 years ago

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Awful self-indulgent muck. I always associate Led Zeppelin with balding men in their 40’s wearing a denim jacket with band patches on the back. A lot of that Dad Rock from the 70’s is vastly overrated.
    Can't say I've ever seen such a specimen but there you go, the things people will come up with in the narrow corridors of their mind. Life really is far too short to be looking for things to be offended by! That said some elements of rock music did lose its way completely but without it we would never have had the anarchic broom of punk and all that evolved from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Relikk wrote: »
    I love Yes and prog in general (Van Der Graaf Generator being the top of the pile), but I cannot listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans. It's noodling of the worst kind. Thank fuck for the return to form with Relayer.
    I had Tarkus on a playlist for quite a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

is_that_so wrote: »
    I had Tarkus on a playlist for quite a bit!

And now I have to listen to Tarkus. Am I complaining? Certainly not. It's a masterpiece. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Fantastic parenting. Version from Knebworth where Page is drenched in sweat wearing khakis, still manages to look cool. Michael Lee on drums was a colossus with Page & Plant .

My girlfriend at the time booked a two week break in Turkey that coincided with that date. I hated everyday of it.

I was at Knebworth. By the time we arrived the band were so far away they were the size of small ants. Unfortunately the memories of the day are rather 'hazy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just heard!! I can't stop crying!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

OldRio wrote: »
    I was at Knebworth. By the time we arrived the band were so far away they were the size of small ants. Unfortunately the memories of the day are rather 'hazy'

Wow, I'm sure you weren't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Their debut is possibly the best "hello world" hard rock album, two days of recording with a pin sharp sound and very tight playing. Not a second of it is out of focus or flabby even the longer tracks keep offering up interesting and exciting dynamics.

Just avoid Stairway to Heaven on "IV/soso/untitled", it would be grand if it wasn't so bloody familiar - but it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jimmy page being the main culprit there. These days he'd have his very own #metoo movement. Or maybe not. Rock and roll types usually get a pass. Dave Bowie another one.

When the levee breaks is good. Though I find too much of the 70's rock stuff longwinded and not a little pretentious at times. For me punk kicked it in the nads and brought back the 2-3 minute get in get out song. Hell ABBA destroyed most of it musically and again was usually the 3 minute pop song. Of the 70's(that kicked off in the late 60's) stuff I'd personally prefer the Who's output.

I agree with you, although early seventies glam like t rex, bowie, roxy music and mott the hooplle was also good and many of the punk guys were fans of it, proably because of its simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

bron yr aur

and yes the reason i have a les paul

More of a mustang/jaguar man myself, the 24" neck is extremely comfortable to play. I'd say gibson were/are delighted that Page mostly played the les Paul although I think he played a tele as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I agree with you, although early seventies glam like t rex, bowie, roxy music and mott the hooplle was also good and many of the punk guys were fans of it, proably because of its simplicity.

Funny how tastes differ, I was never into punk myself and one of the main reasons is the shortness of tracks and simplicity. Seemed almost neanderthal-ish when compared to the prog rock bands I was listening to.

Give me 20 minute songs with 50 different layers and tangents please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jimmy page being the main culprit there. These days he'd have his very own #metoo movement. Or maybe not. Rock and roll types usually get a pass. Dave Bowie another one.

When the levee breaks is good. Though I find too much of the 70's rock stuff longwinded and not a little pretentious at times. For me punk kicked it in the nads and brought back the 2-3 minute get in get out song. Hell ABBA destroyed most of it musically and again was usually the 3 minute pop song. Of the 70's(that kicked off in the late 60's) stuff I'd personally prefer the Who's output.

Could never get into Led Zeppelin, a lot of their songs just drag out. Of that era I much prefer The Who, Sabbath, T. Rex. To be fair ABBA are one of the best bands, such a good back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I loved them. Page and Plant unplugged doing Gallow's Pole unplugged on MTV is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Wizard! wrote: »
    The real bond of the group was Bonzi (John Bohnam), the drummer. He made their sound unique. Once Bonzi died, the group collapsed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOm2oZRQIk

I think you may mean Bonzo... EDIT maybe a case of auto correct strikes again?

This and the song choices here, not really very knowledgeable posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

digs out relayer and tales of topgraphic oceans by yes :D:D

See your Yes and raise you Emerson Lake and Palmer :)

See your Yes and raise you Emerson Lake and Palmer :)

Counters with Gentle Giant (One Concept album had the band playing medieval instruments.)

Man.(20 minute meandering guitar sound with a Male Welsh choir humming in the background)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great band but Stairway To Heaven is the most overrated song ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah love a bit of Zep, caught Robert Plant live twice in 1984 and at Electric Picnic in 2013, Mr Plant still has a fine head of hair (Mr Bismark) and can still sing a decent tune. But I also give you Deep Purple Mk2, Richie Blackmore was another fine riff-smith who could give Page a run for his money and as others have listed The Who for that matter.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LineConsole

Not really my thing, and I’m a guitarist who’s into rock and metal. They have some fantastic guitar riffs and solos, innovative drumming, and that’s about it for me. Everything else about their songs bugs me. Pretentious airy fairy drivel. I especially dislike when Plant goes off on some ‘orgasmic’ like wailing. Not a fan of listening to a grown man make ‘oh’ noises over some trippy prog interlude. Pages occult nonsense is also a big no from me. Stairway is about all I can stomach simply because it’s chock full of catchy riffs, if I Just ignore the lyrical waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

ShyMets wrote: »
    A decent band but no Wings

Wings...the band The Beatles could’ve been.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Fool in the Rain...

Oh, baby
    Well there's a light in your eye that keeps shining
    Like a star that can't wait for night
    I hate to think I been blinded baby
    Why can't I see you tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Saw Robert Plant co-headlining in the point 2 years ago with Van Morrison. Went to see Van mainly, but Plant was absolutely outstanding. Did a lot more zeppelin stuff than I thought, and still has a set of lungs on him.

I-IV are all classics in their own way, Houses of the Holy would be my favourite. The Rain Song, The Ocean, The Song remains the Same. Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

IV is arguably the greatest rock album of all time.

Black Dog
    Rock and Roll
    The Battle of Evermore
    Stairway to Heaven
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Four Sticks
    Going to California
    When the Levee Breaks

Every song a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

OldRio wrote: »
    Counters with Gentle Giant (One Concept album had the band playing medieval instruments.)

Ah, Gentle Giant. Had my favourite prog bassist (and multi-instrumentalist), Ray Shulman. No mean feat considering the genre had incredible bassists in John Wetton, Richard Sinclair, Greg Lake, Chris Squire, Tony Levin, Geddy Lee, Mike Rutherford... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

IV is arguably the greatest rock album of all time.

Black Dog
    Rock and Roll
    The Battle of Evermore
    Stairway to Heaven
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Four Sticks
    Going to California
    When the Levee Breaks

Every song a cracker.

The Battle of Evermore influenced me so much it sent me on a wild goose chase to fine similar female vocals, of course Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention, but I also discovered Pentangle and Clannad (early seventies stuff) in that search and folk like Roy Harper and Nick Drake

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭dasdog

retalivity wrote: »
    Saw Robert Plant co-headlining in the point 2 years ago with Van Morrison. Went to see Van mainly, but Plant was absolutely outstanding. Did a lot more zeppelin stuff than I thought, and still has a set of lungs on him.

That was a great show and I went to see Van myself primarily. My aunt saw them in 1971 when they played here. Led Zep's first live performance of Stairway was the night before in Belfast so she got to see the second.

I used to love them but would rarely listen to them now. No Quarter and Going to California would be the standouts. And yes, one of the reasons I have a Les Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Way before my time, but I wanted to get the opinions of AHers.

What's your favourite album/song? Anyone saw them live? What's their musical legacy? Were they a bit over rated?

Dunno about overated but I could never stand them and I used to listen to a lot of 70s rock. Plants wailing gets on my wick as does the self indulgent hippy bull****.

Also, they launched a legion of cock rock acts that infested Rock and Metal for a decade after.

So yeah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A remarkable band in many ways...

4 gifted musicians in their own right who exploded onto the scene in 1968, much like Hendrix did, with a sonic epiphany. Arguably the greatest band ever assembled.

Phenomenal catalog of albums (albeit the later ones dipped in quality).

Their impact from a musical and cultural perspective is huge.

They also revolutionized the live aspect of the music industry by demanding higher fee's for live shows, at the time promoters made a fortune and bands made very little from live performances. No wonder Jimmy Page's nickname was "Led Wallet".

Like them or loathe them, they played a massive role in the music revolution/evolution of the 1960's with their inspiration and influence still being heard today.

Some have referenced their behavior offstage, something you must remember is times were completely and utterly different back then. That's not to say their behavior should be condoned, but at the time is was nothing out of the ordinary. Any band with a modicum of success were doing the same, if not worse, the Faces to name just one. The Faces shagged anything with a pulse and invented the destruction of hotel rooms, so much so they were globally banned from all holiday inn hotels. Times were different.

I can only imagine hearing good times, bad times for the first time on radio, it must have blown peoples minds.

I adore Led Zeppelin and always will...

Immigrant Song

We come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow
    The hammer of the gods
    Will drive our ships to new lands
    To fight the horde, sing and cry
    Valhalla, I am coming

2 and a half minutes of utter brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

and no, stairway is not over-rated. its a masterpiece.

kashmir great, immigrant song good too.

they did rip off some other dudes tunes though. but whatever. ive had my fun, and thats all that matters.

Edit; Queen, Floyd, Zeppelin, CCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Advertisement