Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

The Wenbo O'Brien match was very enjoyable. Best I've seen from the qualifiers. Thought Fergal deserved the win on balance, but I like Wenbo too. It would be rough on Fergal to lose the tour card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Give Jordan Brown a decent chance of an upset against Ryan Day. Not sure there have been many more brittle players than Day in proportion to his talent.

Thepchaiya fairly rattling through the frames today. AST 15 seconds!

100/1 for the title. Way too big, should be less than half that, talented player.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thepchaiya fairly rattling through the frames today. AST 15 seconds!

100/1 for the title. Way too big, should be less than half that, talented player.

That's incredible 15.05s. And his opponent Liam Highfield is also on 18.30s! That must be interesting to watch.

That's incredible 15.05s. And his opponent Liam Highfield is also on 18.30s! That must be interesting to watch.

Yeah its about as quick as you can get i think. Great to watch in full flow though sometimes can watch the likes of Lisoswski or Zhao Xintong and you feel they can be a touch too quick for their own good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A shot by Wenbo in the final frame. It did look strange at the time.

It won't have made any difference to the frame in fairness, but doesn't show him in a good light.

https://twitter.com/HawleyMJ2/status/1287922146539376646

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

It won't have made any difference to the frame in fairness, but doesn't show him in a good light.

Find it hard to believe that Liang didn't feel that.
    As you say it didn't effect the outcome but it paints Liang in a bad light

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Wow.
    Didn't see that last night and being a player myself i know that he definitely would have felt it.
    There's something about these Chinese players not calling fouls on themselves isn't there?????
    Mark Allen got the hump over it with a player i can't remember and Marco Fu has been known to do it too.
    As for not making a difference in the frame well it was before a ball was potted so it made a big difference if you ask me

It made negligible difference beyond 4 points. Fergal maybe could have put liang back in but i think he'd have played the next shot himself anyway. That's not great viewing for liang but when you get to that stage of a match, so much at stake, not all players will call it, that's the reality. Ronnie didnt a couple of years back when he whacked a ball with the rest and remember plenty rushing to his defence on that occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I suppose it's the modern win at all costs mentality that certain players have these days

• Advertisement

Dont think we'll be seeing wee Dottie grace the crucible with his presence this year. Thought he would be winning that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

How do you that it wouldn't have made any difference?

I suppose it's the modern win at all costs mentality that certain players have these days

Yeah well, I heard they didn't play for snookers in the past as it was seen as dishonourable. Now it's normal. In football, and most sports, it's up to the ref to call foul play. It's lovely that snooker has the aspiration to be self policing but in reality, it just gives an advantage to the players with least scruples.

I wonder if they'll look to fit senaors to cues if the technology becomes possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

Anyone know if the draw for the world's is on tv or on a free website in the morning?

fran38 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the draw for the world's is on tv or on a free website in the morning?

Its on eurosport at 11. Also wstv or a couple of facebook links which i assume are free as per details below.

https://wst.tv/betfred-world-championship-2020-the-draw/

Rothko wrote: »
    How do you that it wouldn't have made any difference?

It was such a poor safety shot by Wenbo (because of the bad cueing) that the white didn't even reach the baulk line. So Fergal wouldn't have put him back in but would have just done what he (Fergal) actually did which is take the next shot. There was no free ball situation and it's obviously not 'a miss'.
    Hence the game continued down the same path.
    But obviously there's a thin case that the psychology of the 4 point foul may have affected someone's shot choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The bottom line is the ref failed to see it and Wenbo certainly knew he fouled the red.

Mark Allen must be sitting back and laughing now.

Judd Trump v Tom Ford
    Yan Bingtao v Elliot Slessor
    Stephen Maguire v Martin Gould
    Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens
    David Gilbert v Kurt Maflin
    Jack Lisowski v Anthony McGill
    Mark Allen v Jamie Clarke
    Mark Williams v Alan McManus
    Stuart Bingham v Ashley Carty
    Ding Junhui v Mark King
    Ronnie O’Sullivan v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Mark Selby v Jordan Brown
    Shaun Murphy v Noppon Saengkham
    Barry Hawkins v Alexander Ursenbacher
    Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo

Hard to see the upsets coming there. Ursenbacher could get one over Hawkins. Sean Murphy and Mark Williams haven't had great form recently. So they could be vulnerable.

I think it's very unpredictable, you dont know how lads will fare coming in with precious little tournament action. Could be good for some, not so for others. Murphy has actually had his best season for a good while, I'm tentatively sweet on his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That's extremely disappointing from Wenbo, and possibly from the ref too. Clear view of the incident, his head is even in the shot.

Did that happen at 9-9? I disagree on the significance of the incident. A foul, however small, can potentially change the course of events. Even more gutted for Fergal now after seeing that.

• Advertisement

I think it's very unpredictable, you dont know how lads will fare coming in with precious little tournament action. Could be good for some, not so for others. Murphy has actually had his best season for a good while, I'm tentatively sweet on his chances.

Actually you're right about Murphy having a few good matches. He got to a final recently which was great. But I always see him as vulnerable to having a but of very poor form. Transitioning from being a top player - but still in the top 16.

Actually you're right about Murphy having a few good matches. He got to a final recently which was great. But I always see him as vulnerable to having a but of very poor form. Transitioning from being a top player - but still in the top 16.

Murphy to me this season has been a mini revelation. He's reached 4 finals, won 2 and several more sfs, very consistent and second only to Trump on the season rankings table. The work with Fergal has been well documented but he also quit his role with the wpbsa at the start of the year which was a huge move, that was a distraction and he took it very seriously. Now he's focussed on one thing only and i think its showing.

Of course he has his obvious flaws too so he's no sure thing. Seeded to meet Robertson which is tough but Robbo strikes me as a guy who is best with momentum behind him so the circumstances might not be ideal for him. Thats my theory anyway! Has a habit of going astray more often than not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Can't see too many upsets there. Think Willo is on the wind down again, and so could see McManus take him, and the BBC make a big thing about his age. There are one or two other veterans there Anthony Hamilton, Mathew Stevens, Mark King. Seems like Fergal should be there too.

Fair point around lack of match sharpness for the top 16 under these circumstances. The ITV tournaments helped a bit, but its hardly the same. There will probably be 3 or 4 qualifiers going through in the end.

Shot is visible at real speed and full table context here. Go to 4:23:10.

Hold my hands up. I claimed that the white didn't reach baulk but that's clearly not true, I must have thinking of a different shot probably LWs next one which was short of baulk.
    So there is definitely a case that FOB could have asked him to play again from where it finished if the foul had been called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Shot is visible at real speed and full table context here. Go to 4:23:10.

Hold my hands up. I claimed that the white didn't reach baulk but that's clearly not true, I must have thinking of a different shot probably LWs next one which was short of baulk.
    So there is definitely a case that FOB could have asked him to play again from where it finished if the foul had been called.

Hmmm.... Fergal's safety shot which gives Wenbo a chance at the long red was very, very poor.

The shot Liang played before white had struck green but left nothing on. A few shots before that he'd almost knuckled the white in corner pocket but got away with it. And Fergal caught that last shot too thick but another 3-4 inches and it's behind the yellow and Liang in trouble. Thats the margins when you get to that level.

One addendum to draw. Looking very much like if Ashley Carty beats Bingham that would knock Fergal off the tour. So one match to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Judd Trump v Tom Ford
    Yan Bingtao v Elliot Slessor
    Stephen Maguire v Martin Gould
    Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens
    David Gilbert v Kurt Maflin
    Jack Lisowski v Anthony McGill
    Mark Allen v Jamie Clarke
    Mark Williams v Alan McManus
    Stuart Bingham v Ashley Carty
    Ding Junhui v Mark King
    Ronnie O’Sullivan v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Mark Selby v Jordan Brown
    Shaun Murphy v Noppon Saengkham
    Barry Hawkins v Alexander Ursenbacher
    Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo

I thought Ding wasn't travelling for some reason, thought I heard them saying that on Eurosport during one of the matches.

Upsets I can see are:
    Gould, Maflin and McManus winning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think it was Marco Fu who wouldn't travel to the qualifiers. He's been slipping down the rankings a lot since 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rothko wrote: »
    Pity, I would have liked to have seen Fergal make it.

Yeah. Solid pro, would make it awkward for most players, especially over the best of 19.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement