Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Stranger things have happened but I'd be amazed if jimmy won another match, utterly stupified if he managed to win 2. Before yesterday he'd won a single match all season, milkins can stink the place out any given day so maybe possibly....but Robertson, assuming he gets through, would be way too solid, decent player. I think jimmy should carry on as long as he wishes, clearly still loves it, but getting to the crucible is an impossible pipe dream. Famous last words notwithstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yea over 19 frames it's a bit of a pipe dream I suppose.

I'll still be rooting for him anyway, as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

It's a great testament to Jimmy's talent that he's sill able to compete at this level after all this time.
    He must be the longest serving pro in this sport and most others too,Who would have thought that he would last longer then Davis,Parrott even Hendry and the rest of the 80s and 90s players?Hard to believe its been nearly 40 years since the famous Semi-Final v Higgins.
    Unbelievable career.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's a great testament to Jimmy's talent that he's sill able to compete at this level after all this time.
    He must be the longest serving pro in this sport and most others too,Who would have thought that he would last longer then Davis,Parrott even Hendry and the rest of the 80s and 90s players?Hard to believe its been nearly 40 years since the famous Semi-Final v Higgins.
    Unbelievable career.

Certainly a legend of the game....but I think I'd have chosen the Hendry approach re retirement. There's something a bit sad about looking at a once sensational player, who now struggles to win a match here or there. Again hats off to Jimmy, he'll always be the peoples champion (and was so very nearly a multiple world champion if it wasn't for running into a Prime Hendry).

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Certainly a legend of the game....but I think I'd have chosen the Hendry approach re retirement. There's something a bit sad about looking at a once sensational player, who now struggles to win a match here or there. Again hats off to Jimmy, he'll always be the peoples champion (and was so very nearly a multiple world champion if it wasn't for running into a Prime Hendry).

His best chance of winning at the Crucible was when he lost to Higgins in 82.He would have steamrolled over Reardon in the final.
    God knows how many he could have won if he had gotten that monkey off his back so early

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Inviere wrote: »

Yeah It's his career and his choice so fair play. I'd normally say they could transition into commentary and analysis but he's not very good at analysis. The Quest analysis with Jimmy and Ronnie sounds like a dream team, but it's actually terrible. The BBC commentary and analysis is very good by comparison. I suspect Jimmy would be good at commenting on live matches. I think he could see shots and explain it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ben Mertens, the 15 year old amateur from Belgium, beat James Cahill comfortably (6-2). He's the youngest player to win a qualifier. I'm pretty sure I saw him a couple of years ago at the snooker shoot-out. He plays am Baird in the second round in the early KO.

Ken plays Fraser Patrick in the evening round today

I've no problem with jimmy playing on long as he wants but i didnt agree with him being given the 2 year tour card and i wouldn't want to see any more gifts being handed out. If he goes to tour school and comes through it then fair play to him. He'll have earned his place on tour like all the others.

The BBC commentary and analysis is very good by comparison.

Don't know about that. Hazel dialling up the hype to 11 while Davis and Parrott say the same things they've been saying for 20 years. ITV is the best when Hendry, Foulds, and McManus are in the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

zuutroy wrote: »
    Don't know about that. Hazel dialling up the hype to 11 while Davis and Parrott say the same things they've been saying for 20 years. ITV is the best when Hendry, Foulds, and McManus are in the studio.

Yeah I agree, those three are a good mix. Foulds the good cop. Hendry can subtlety critise a player. And McManus great for the technical snooker stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Each to their own, its all subjective. But for analysis i much prefer Foulds, McManus etc whom i can never suspect of following any particular agenda. And i think Ronnie is hugely knowledgeable and incisive about the sport when he wants to be, occasionally he and Jimmy can give insights into stuff behind the scenes on tour that you dont get on bbc. Sometimes i get impression bbc lads dont watch much snooker outside of the events they cover.

Ken out of the top 64 if he loses today and will have to head to Q school. No pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ken should win this.

Patrick looks nervous

ebbsy wrote: »
    Ken should win this.

Patrick looks nervous

Yeah he looks so edgy it seems to have settled Ken down.

It's a while since I've seen someone play as bad as Patrick.

This is becoming unexpectedly hard work. Ken knows he should be back in his hotel by now, getting a bit frustrated.

Had to go out for a while. This isn't the same match I left!

Fine break that, he's the better player last while. Made a great long yellow when a red was hanging over middle pocket frame 6 i think it was, seemed to grow in confidence after that. Ken really wants to do it this frame.

Did it well in the end. Wondering about not going for the black on a break there but was the right choice. Thats experience.

• Advertisement

Did it well in the end. Wondering about not going for the black on a break there but was the right choice. Thats experience.

Yeah 90s Ken would have taken on the black and killed off the match,Then again 90s Ken would have won that match 6-0 comfortably.
    I give him a good shot at beating Mark King and then the winner of Holt and Burns to qualify.
    O'Brien is up against it v Brecel
    Jordan Browne has a decent chance v Valfaei
    Some decent matches on over the weekend

At his best King would be tricky but King has been dreadful all season and Ken beat him recently somewhere, maybe Welsh or around that time. Holt alright on his day too but doubt ken will ever get a better chance than this to get back to the crucible so hopefully he can take it.

Vafaei is a player i like a lot but he's not pushed on as far as i thought. Been a tough time with his personal situation but ability not in doubt.

This Wilson v Ursenbacher is a real good contest. The swiss is very attacking and fluid, but am wondering how he's going to fare if he gets the chance to close it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Would love to see Ken make it. Or Jimmy but come on I know that is unlikely.

Listened to Dunphy's long interview with Ken on his 'The Stand' podcast. It was a rerun from a few years ago but it is well worth checking out. Could almost be back in the old snooker clubs of the 80s listening to it. Eamon Dunphy knows a lot about the scene.

Dunphy does love his snooker alright, always saw him nosing around goffs anytime i was there and his nephew had a go at the pro game back in the 90s.

Good win for Ursenbacher, dangerous opponent going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

This guy Heathcote is not bad.

Carter under pressure already

Playing well alright.
    Especially on the long pots.
    Jimmy and Fergal 1-1 in both their matches

Playing well enough but getting at least 2 chances to win each frame. Carter looks totally off his game.

Fergal 3-1 against Brecel. Looks like he's dictating the flow of the game. Half way there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Tough break for Jimmy there. Double the black but end up going in off. 4-1 down, bit of a mountain to climb now.

Advertisement