Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

And now I just finished The Farthest Shore by Ursula Le Guin. It seems I am on a roll of really great books lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

The catcher in the rye.

I used to read mostly non-fiction. I still do but have started to try catch up on all these classic novels that I have not read yet.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭bullpost

Champagne Football: John Delaney and the Betrayal of Irish Football: The Inside Story

Just finished.

Mind-boggling what went on during Mr. Delaneys long tenure.

Lets just say the F in FAI was Fiefdom rather than football.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Prophet Song was a bit of a slog. Depressing subject matter, slightly challenging prose style and a rather unlikeable protagonist. It's not a bad book by any means but I'm not sure I could say I enjoyed it.

The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder by David Grann.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm going to be in a position where I could read 3 or 4 books uninterrupted. I have already picked one.

I used to love the likes of Sidney Sheldon when I was young, so any recommendations for modern equivalents, lots of bonkers love triangles, revenge, money, power, melodrama?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Side_of_Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Have just started the Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Going to move on to his follow up the Land of Lost Things then.

• Advertisement

If anyone wants a bit of laugh open chatbot and ask it for the plot of a booker prize winner, the plot of a murder mystery set in a winter landscape, or the plot of any genre you normally read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

OT now but check out ‘Gift Grub: John Delaney Hits The Small Screen’ where they imagine Joe Pesci plays Delaney. Bloody hilarious. I’d share the link but todayfm makes that very difficult.

Just finished this. Very interesting read. The subtitle is a bit overblown but I found out some properly disturbing facts.

For one, Che Guevara revealing he raped his house maids as a teenager and saw nothing wrong with it as they were lower class. Yikes, to put it mildly.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Storm In A Teacup by Helen Czerski.

It explains the physics of everyday life, I like the idea of it, but I'm struggling to grasp some of the things she's talking about, might have to read it again in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Earth Transformed: An Untold History by Peter Frankopan

Sweeping global history of how the environment has shaped human civilisation and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The Ink Black Heart by Robert Galbraith

Book 6 in the Strike series. Took a while to get into it, the whole social media element didn't really appeal to me but I finally got into it.

The Padre: The True Story of the Irish Priest Who Armed the IRA with Gaddafi's Money by Jennifer O'Leary

Started off a bit meh in that I found the author to repeat the same information in a different way for the opening chapters but did improve as the book went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭thomil

Just started Mythos by Stephen Fry. It's interesting for sure. Irreverent yet respectful, academic, yet accessible, and of course Stephen Fry's command of the English language is remarkable.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Has anyone read The Killers of a Flower Moon?

Just wondering how the book is written, is it a fact stating book or is it wrote more like a story?

Hope my question is clear.

I'd guess story, based on my reading of his other books, including the fact-based The Wager. He tells a good story.

BASTA by Marco van Basten

Just started this. Written in a very simple style .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Mickey7, sci-fi that reminds me a bit of Ancillary Justice. Has a sense of humour while dealing with concept of cloning. Bong Joon-Ho set to direct the film version.

Just an FYI for people that maybe don't keep an eye on the Bargain Alerts forum and who may like to treat themselves or an avid reader in their life to some new books for Xmas:

30% off online orders from Easons until the 17th of November using code EASONBF30

25% off online orders from Easons using code BLACK

The Great Lighthouses of Ireland by David Hare

From the same guy that brought us the incredible 2 season documentary of the same on RTE, this book is a a spectacular continuation. Beautiful photographs and paintings accompany fascinating stories about the history of our Lighthouses and the men and women who worked for Irish Lights.

If you enjoyed the TV documentary then this book is a must read for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Found the social media bit awkward at first but thought it added to the book in the end. Good read.

Lion Heart, Justin Cartwright, he is a favourite writer of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I bought that for my dad a few years back as he worked for Irish Lights back in the day. Spent his 21st birthday on the Fastnet, as we're all reminded every single year! It really is a beautiful book.

Grace by Paul Lynch.

Was a bit unsure for the first few pages due to the writing style but didn't want to put it down once I got going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭raclle

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Just starting "The Diary of a Young Girl" by Anne Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭raclle

Advertisement