Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend alarm upgrade?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any installer who wants to install what they want without considering your wants and needs are best avoided in my professional opinion.
    How in the name of anything logical is an alarm that goes off after you are broken into better than an alarm that activates before an intruder gains access.
    Shock sensors are not the cause of false alarms. False alarms are caused by faulty devices, bad wiring or bad installation.
    Shop around would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

AidenL wrote: »
    Im revisiting this again.

I had two local companies out to survey my house.

Both are adamant that theres no point in having perimeter security, that PIRs are more than adequate. I maintained that its b best to keep intruders outside but they reckon if someone comes in, they come in.

I have triple glazed windows, and they both said that are hard to get through and that Id waste money and have false alarms from perimeter shock sensors.

Any idea what they might be so reluctant to install a perimeter upgrade?

It sounds to me like they are inexperienced, by any chance do they do TV or electrical services as well?
    Any experienced installer would recommend a perimeter type system, any installers that i know of, who do not, have little or no experience with inertia shock sensors and cannot actually fault find them, so avoid them whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

That’s what I thought.

Odd how they just want to go PIRs only, as I have them installed already.

Both very long established, well known, far from inexperienced companies in the North West actually.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It sounds like the system they install doesn't support shock sensors, so they are trying to push you away from that option.

If the system they installed supported shock sensors, e.g. HKC, then they might still recommend that you don't need them, but sure, if you want them, they can add them for a bit more.

If you aren't happy, get quotes from another company, perhaps ask upfront if they do hkc systems.
    I have triple glazed windows, and they both said that are hard to get through and that Id waste money and have false alarms from perimeter shock sensors.

In fairness, I do think there is actually a lot of truth in that. The triple glazed bit. I think triple glazing reduces greatly the benefit of shock sensors.

I've double glazing myself, but it also has a layer of security film, which seemingly makes them very difficult to smash through. I had hkc shock sensors on them, but doing walking tests and even adjusting the sensitivity, I could never get the shock sensor to work properly. I could hammer the window with a rubber mallet and they still wouldn't trigger!

I think with modern high quality windows and glazing and the increasing size of windows (lots of floor to celing, etc.). Shock sensors are becoming less useful.

It is a pity that the typical Irish security systems don't support external PIR's, glass break sensors and curtain PIR's like are so common in the US. They seem to me to be more inline with modern Irish homes then shock sensors. That isn't to say that shock sensors don't have a place, they do, just that they aren't the be all and end all that some make them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Donnacha_

If its a bungalow and there is access to attic spaces then it is possible to run cables through the wall cavities, A wired system generaly cheaper. HKC would give you all the options you require.

• Advertisement

It was HKC one of them was installing actually.
    bk wrote: »
    It sounds like the system they install doesn't support shock sensors, so they are trying to push you away from that option.

If the system they installed supported shock sensors, e.g. HKC, then they might still recommend that you don't need them, but sure, if you want them, they can add them for a bit more.

If you aren't happy, get quotes from another company, perhaps ask upfront if they do hkc systems.

In fairness, I do think there is actually a lot of truth in that. The triple glazed bit. I think triple glazing reduces greatly the benefit of shock sensors.

I've double glazing myself, but it also has a layer of security film, which seemingly makes them very difficult to smash through. I had hkc shock sensors on them, but doing walking tests and even adjusting the sensitivity, I could never get the shock sensor to work properly. I could hammer the window with a rubber mallet and they still wouldn't trigger!

I think with modern high quality windows and glazing and the increasing size of windows (lots of floor to celing, etc.). Shock sensors are becoming less useful.

It is a pity that the typical Irish security systems don't support external PIR's, glass break sensors and curtain PIR's like are so common in the US. They seem to me to be more inline with modern Irish homes then shock sensors. That isn't to say that shock sensors don't have a place, they do, just that they aren't the be all and end all that some make them out to be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

KoolKid wrote: »
    Any installer who wants to install what they want without considering your wants and needs are best avoided in my professional opinion.
    How in the name of anything logical is an alarm that goes off after you are broken into better than an alarm that activates before an intruder gains access.
    Shock sensors are not the cause of false alarms. False alarms are caused by faulty devices, bad wiring or bad installation.
    Shop around would be my advice.

This

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not surprising they are one of the most popular systems in ireland if not the most popular. Some installers avoid inertia shock sensors as they take so much longer to install. They just want to get in, get out and get paid rapidly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Weird, sounds like a poor installer so!

As I said, he maybe right that they won't be of much use with your type of windows. But if you really wanted them, he should have given you two quotes, one with and one without the sensors and left you to decide. More likely to get business that way.

Im back again - anyone have any opinions on LightSYS Risco system?

Id like to use wireless shock sensors on my windows with it.

• Advertisement

So, I'm going with a Risco Lightsys 2 setup.

2 Keypads, 18 Shock and Contact sensors, 3 door shock and contact.

Couple of wired PIRs, 2 fobs, and monitoring.

Seems like a decent system, will be installed in the New Year.

Advertisement