Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

brophs wrote: »
    Did everyone get a notification in advance of the delivery date? I ordered Friday afternoon and haven’t heard anything so far. Will they call the morning of or will they just turn up?

I ordered last Wednesday and then got a call on Friday to set up delivery for Monday. I got another call from the driver Monday morning before he left the depot. Delivered yesterday. Big enough truck but he brought it around the back of the house for us.

Looks like a decent enough amount of logs.

Baby for scale :pac:

490812.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Mines on route got a call there from the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So now the Co-OP bargain is no longer whats the best around for a crate of oak or ash? Prices mainly seem to be around €270ish, anyone seeing something better?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Got the firewood today it’s definitely worth 200 delivered and s free palet as well.
    To get to order over 200 I added briquettes to the order which came by Dpd courier which ch I though was strange

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I added a compost bin and a cart for around the garden to mine and the compost bin came today. No sign of wood or cart yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Baby for scale :pac:

490812.jpeg
    I read that as " baby for sale" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I used this crowd last year and found them good.
    https://fuelandagri.ie/product-category/fuel/kiln-dried-firewood/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Anyone used this crew? http://www.greenfuelireland.com/ €200 for 1m³ of oak or ash

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Anyone used this crew? http://www.greenfuelireland.com/ €200 for 1m³ of oak or ash

From their website it says the crate is 1.2m3 which is even bigger. Also they sell olive hardwood imported from Africa
    We import all our Olive wood from a sustainable source in South Africa.
    We distribute it from our base in Galway.

Olive firewood burns three times longer than all other hardwood

Thats quite the claim too.

edit- just spoke to him there- they are 1m3 crates and not 1.2m3 that is stated on the website. Also asked about ash and it is not in stock until early October. Finally delivery nationwide is €60 so €260 total cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://www.woodplus.ie/

I haven't used them but I've seen their lorry on the road around Clare, however their price and product seems the same as the Co-op's but no details on delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

I just had a delivery last weekend from Delahunty logs. Used them last year too. They deliver in skip/ton bags I think?

75 a bag for hardwood and 55 for softwood I think. Got 3 bags total same as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bigserious1

I just had a delivery last weekend from Delahunty logs. Used them last year too. They deliver in skip/ton bags I think?

75 a bag for hardwood and 55 for softwood I think. Got 3 bags total same as last year.

And stacked up. Hard wood in one corner and soft in the other. Was 210 I think total delivered to north dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Not affiliated with this company, also haven't used them before but reviews seem solid and prices are good, it's softwood they sell NOT hardwood.

https://www.cotterbrosfirewood.ie/shop

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Yeah i ordered from them twice and had nothing but hassle with them. First time the " kiln dried" wood was at about 35 % moisture. Only ordered from them a second time because they said they would make it up to me as i was fairly pissed off . Waited a month for the second order to arrive and when it did they sent the wrong wood. The extras they said they would put in the order never materialised either.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Anyone get the latest offer from Co-op,? beech @€;199

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

john_doe. wrote: »
    Anyone get the latest offer from Co-op,? beech @€;199

Ordered Monday awaiting delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Ordered Monday awaiting delivery

Might go for this now missed other.did ya have to pay deliverey and how big is crate?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Might go for this now missed other.did ya have to pay deliverey and how big is crate?

Delivery is now €40.00

Think there sold out... Delivery was 20... I live a mile from the store

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gutted I missed the coop offer, anyone point me in direction of next best offer? Is it usually better to go with a crate over a bag? Not bought wood in bulk before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

is €240 still a good price for the coop beech?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2m3 is 2 x cubic metres right ???

2m3 is 2 x cubic metres right ???

Sorry.. Was at the back of the class that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Muahahaha wrote: »
    From their website it says the crate is 1.2m3 which is even bigger. Also they sell olive hardwood imported from Africa

Thats quite the claim too.

edit- just spoke to him there- they are 1m3 crates and not 1.2m3 that is stated on the website. Also asked about ash and it is not in stock until early October. Finally delivery nationwide is €60 so €260 total cost.

i threw a hardwood log in the fire and it burned for 3 times longer than the previous log, gave no heat though, just wet through

I'm gonna have to move them by hand, so I'll compare them to my 100 euro ton bag from last year which had 259 reasonable size logs in it.

I'll take into account split size too

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My Ash from the Co op came yesterday. Seems great value as any of the crates or tonne bags I got last year only filled the log store by about two thirds and usually for more money than this cost. Log store is full to the brim.

Stacked three logs deep:

491038.jpg

About twice the wood in a ton bag, cost of the air dried bag was 110, so still good value against this at 270, but at 200 a good deal

Circa 600 logs, around 10% moisture according to the reader, kiln died and a year or two sitting inside

Air dried logs were about 15% and ones I'd dried myself were around 20% after a medium summer

Whats the comparison red baron? Am I right to say last year you bought a ton bag for 110 and it had 259 logs and this year you've bought the 1m3 crate from the Co-op for €199 and it had 600 logs? If so you got a good deal, pity its finished now.

The 1m3 beech for 240 from Co-op seems to be the best offer at the moment. Anyone know how beech burns? I know its said oak and ash are preferable as they burn the longest and hottest. Birch is supposed to be good too but can be very sparky.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Whats the comparison red baron? Am I right to say last year you bought a ton bag for 110 and it had 259 logs and this year you've bought the 1m3 crate from the Co-op for €199 and it had 600 logs? If so you got a good deal, pity its finished now.

The 1m3 beech for 240 from Co-op seems to be the best offer at the moment. Anyone know how beech burns? I know its said oak and ash are preferable as they burn the longest and hottest. Birch is supposed to be good too but can be very sparky.

Beech is the best wood to burn, absolutely love it, better than ash for heat

• Advertisement

that's my comparison, twice the wood less cost

better water content you could actually feel it in your hand also

Versus mixed air dried Irish hardwood

One thing, that was sourced locally, from people we know who are tree surgeons

Whereas the coop one no doubt wasn't, plus not sure I agree with the kiln drying bit

Using leccy or gas to do it? Then deffo not a great idea, perhaps if you used wood as the heat source it might be better

Advertisement