Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Is there no option to install to external drive?

I wonder is there an option in one of those mod/dev menus somewhere to install the game to the external harddrive? Will go digging.

When I boot the PS3, the Journey spash screen appears in the game list.

When I try to boot the game, it says that it needs to be installed on the internal harddrive. (no other options at this stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wonder is there an option in one of those mod/dev menus somewhere to install the game to the external harddrive? Will go digging.

When I boot the PS3, the Journey spash screen appears in the game list.

When I try to boot the game, it says that it needs to be installed on the internal harddrive. (no other options at this stage).

If you load up MultiMan (I think that's what it's called), it should give you a myriad of different options to play with. Secondly, from what I remember, certain particular games have issues with being ran from external memory, but I don't think there's many like that.

Also:
    1. Yes. You can run PS3 games in folder format and PS3/PSX/PSP/DVD/BD in ISO format from external USB HDD.
    2. For PS3 in folder format it must be FAT32. For games in ISO format, the HDD can be NTFS or FAT32
    For FAT32, if the ISO is larger than 4GB, you should split the ISO.
    For the games in folder format have single files larger than 4GB, the file should be split and mounted with multiMAN or IRISMAN.
    3. Use multiMAN or IRISMAN to backup your disc games to external USB HDD as folder or ISO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Any of you guys know if it's possible to boot PS3 games directly from an external HDD?

Got a lovely modded PS3 Slim from Inviere and was just trying to get it up and running with what I have about the house, have a spare 500gb external drive gathering dust.

Seems games need to be transferred onto the internal drive before they run though? First game I tried was Journey and it took two hours to transfer :eek:

If that's the case the only option then really is to stick big internal drive in and FTP over?

I use a crossover cable and the games transfer pretty quick. 2 hours for journey seems very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

23 retro consoles you can buy today

https://myemulator.online/retro-consoles-amazon-1

phily2002 wrote: »
    I use a crossover cable and the games transfer pretty quick. 2 hours for journey seems very long.

That's transferring by USB no? I think o1s1n is talking about actually dumping the games from disc onto the hdd.

Master of the Universe

If you load up MultiMan (I think that's what it's called), it should give you a myriad of different options to play with. Secondly, from what I remember, certain particular games have issues with being ran from external memory, but I don't think there's many like that.

Also:

Cheers dude! That little bit of info at the bottom is exactly what I'd been looking for. Seems the best thing for me to try is to change the harddrive back to NTFS and stick to isos (I'd been using game folder)

Cheers dude! That little bit of info at the bottom is exactly what I'd been looking for. Seems the best thing for me to try is to change the harddrive back to NTFS and stick to isos (I'd been using game folder)

No worries. So if I'm reading it right, you can dump your discs using MultiMAN onto an NTFS formatted external drive, as an ISO file?

Master of the Universe

Yep! I think that's the case alright. Will try to get some ISOs onto the HDD and will report back :)

Anybody want System Shock 1 and 2 for steam? I have a spare key for each.

• Advertisement

I'll take System Shock 1 if it's still available?

Master of the Universe

Will nab 2! :)

Enjoy lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I managed to get my Dreamcast back online for the first time in about 18 years or so today. Haven't tried any games yet but useful for downloading games saves onto the VMU if anything.

zo60l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Woah nicely done, GG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro but I've dropped the Resi 2 remake to play Ace Combat 7 which I'm absolutely loving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not retro but I've dropped the Resi 2 remake to play Ace Combat 7 which I'm absolutely loving.

I haven't played an Ace Combat game since they were called Air Combat on the PS1!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I haven't played an Ace Combat game since they were called Air Combat on the PS1!

Still waiting on Birds of Steel to go BC. :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Same. In fact, Air Combat is the only game in the series I've played. It wasn't quite a sim, but wasn't very arcadey either...it struck a very nice balance between the two. For everything else, there's Afterburner :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,839 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First time I played the series. Really want to go back and try the rest as I'm having so much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Never played the series but I do have my eye on the new one, I hear the VR missions are a nice addition.

Have the money here for a nice/fresh boxed Link to the Past, been looking the last few months on ebay.ie...very few are in any way decent shape, and none in the condition expected versus price asked :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have the money here for a nice/fresh boxed Link to the Past, been looking the last few months on ebay.ie...very few are in any way decent shape, and none in the condition expected versus price asked :(

I'll swap you my CIB copy for your PS4 Pro + PSVR, and maybe some cash your side? :P :P

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I'll swap you my CIB copy for your PS4 Pro + PSVR, and maybe some cash your side? :P :P

Make with the cash Andy :D

Master of the Universe

Yep! I think that's the case alright. Will try to get some ISOs onto the HDD and will report back :)

And it works! Converted to NTFS, Journey installed in 10 minutes and other games are running 100% from the external HDD.

Thanks again Inviere for the help :)

And it works! Converted to NTFS, Journey installed in 10 minutes and other games are running 100% from the external HDD.

Sweet, glad to be of help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Might have to do this soon too. No more games on PS Plus unless PS4 so im just paying for digital hoarding .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Axiom Verge is free on the epic store for the next week , it's a retro styled metroidvania game so ,kinda counts here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Axiom Verge is free on the epic store for the next week , it's a retro styled metroidvania game so ,kinda counts here ;)
    That word is CURSED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

They look a bit too painterly to me in FF9 compared to the CGI look of the original.

The FF7 backgrounds on the other hand look phenomenal.

I'd argue that the background miss out on the developers original intent except for the fact I just modded the **** out of FF8 and replaces the background assets with fan upscaled versions because it looks awful on a 1440p screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2370133573?view=permalink&id=10158218972523574&anchor_composer=false

Not sure of a good price or not. Guy in Spain selling new 17" 15khz crt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

https://m.facebook.com/groups/2370133573?view=permalink&id=10158218972523574&anchor_composer=false

Not sure of a good price or not. Guy in Spain selling new 17" 15khz crt

Would be nice in my Arcade1up cab! Shame they're too deep though!

I'm going to Toronto in May so I looked up a nearby retro store. There's a picture from inside the store last year of the boxed console shelves. Many of the usual suspects but there was also a good few Japanese things, even a Saturn keyboard.

Obviously it will be different when I'm there but it looks like there's a good variety so could find something nice.

1kDMqi8.jpg

This kind of flew under the radar for me but two companies, Classics Digital and Piko Interactive have been releasing a few old games on Steam.

There's the usual PC classics but they are also releasing some Amiga and Spectrum classics like Push Over, Sleepwalker, Where Time Stood Still and Bubble Ghost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know it came in for some stick, ongoing too, but the collection of NES games coming with the Switch Online subscription is getting to be pretty substantial.
    I would imagine the cheap NES Classic console and the ready modding of that device to hold the entire NES back catalogue may have cheapened the impact of the NES game collection on the Switch but, for me at least, it's certainly building into a nice library of titles.
    It'll be very nice to see the other NES big hitters to arrive, such as Super Mario Bros 3.

tT3Kmym.png

Happy Love Day everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement

Fantastic piece on Contra III, semi technical, but not overly so. Game is a masterpiece imo

I recall a couple of years ago now Super Hexagon was a big deal, and for good reason.
    While never in an arcade or appearing, in it's original form at least, on a retro console, it seemed to pay homage to the likes of Tempest while being brand spanking new.
    Well, thanks to Terry Cavanaghs Twitter feed, there's a new one to gobble up time.
    JumpGrid.
    Now, I'm sure I've missed the boat on this and it's probably been out ages, but it's just gorgeous and sounds amazing
    Also, it runs on my Chromebook....

Just discovered now that there's loads of ROM Hacks for Streets of Rage 2. Simspons, wolverine, street fighter II etc...

Never knew they existed before!

Those Mega Drive and Saturn Retro Bit controllers are up for pre-order on Amazon. The see through grey Saturn one is €25 shipped. Hmm...

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Those Mega Drive and Saturn Retro Bit controllers are up for pre-order on Amazon. The see through grey Saturn one is €25 shipped. Hmm...

I wonder will they be plug and play with RetroArch, with autoconfigs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sold my bar top today , although I didn't play it a massive amount I feel sad now it's gone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sold my bar top today , although I didn't play it a massive amount I feel sad now it's gone :(

Did well getting 400 for it though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Did well getting 400 for it though.

Yeah I think so too, it was either that or not sell it at all

Master of the Universe

Fairly sure those ones have too much depth and th shell won't close.

Here are the ones you stuck in m carts, they're small sockets and half the battery sticks out;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111694201631

• Advertisement
Advertisement