Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow showers - Thursday to Saturday morning (18th - 20th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Dench wrote: »
    Quick opinion wanted please :

Two young nephews, 4 & 5, haven't experienced a snow event in their youthful lives.

Was thinking of bringing them up the Dublin mountains on Sunday - Lough Tay towards Sally Gap area.

What is the likelihood of there being any snow left in the area given that the forecast for late Saturday and Sunday is for a thaw to set in.

Thanks.

The Dench

Temps will rise quickly Sunday and wet and windy so I'd avoid Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Two young nephews, 4 & 5, haven't experienced a snow event in their youthful lives.

Was thinking of bringing them up the Dublin mountains on Sunday - Lough Tay towards Sally Gap area.

What is the likelihood of there being any snow left in the area given that the forecast for late Saturday and Sunday is for a thaw to set in.

Thanks.

The Dench
    Forget about Sunday. Even if there is any left up there go as early as possible on Saturday before temperatures rise as a band of rain approaches from the west. I can't see any snow from my attic window but there might be some around the Sally Gap?
    No harm in taking a spin up there but in my opinion there would be very little, the problem is that temperatures got up to near 10c for a few hours on Wednesday night and thats why I think there is very little left.
    Keep an eye on the Met.ie radar today and see if any showers get as far as the east coast, its only 2c so any precipitation will fall as snow on high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thanks.

The Dench

I'd careful here, a front is coming up against cold air early Sunday and this will be snow over the mountains above 250 m for some time. It may not be driveable.

Even if it is it will not be pleasant. Take the lowest route to destination via Roundwood in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A nice covering of snow across much of Laois this morning, Portlaoise had around 2cm or 3cm in particular before 9am. Not much past Mountmellick along the N80, probably the Slieve Blooms causing a shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Take the lowest route to destination via Roundwood in my opinion.
    Definitely do this - don't be one of "those" people getting stuck on the Gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Also remember the very high roads can have huge chunks of frozen snow and ice on them even after a days rain making going difficult for a car or the inexperienced

• Registered Users Posts: 37 The Dench

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll probably take a trip up towards Sally Gap on Sunday morning.

Will heed the advice and approach from the Roundwood direction. No chance of getting stuck - on first hint of wheelspin, car will be turned around. I've been up that direction in wintery conditions before and it never ceases to amaze me what certain people think their cars are capable of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are there any charts around for this evening lads? :D

Hoping I'll get sent home from work early today. Limerick/Cork border.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Great fun in the car this morning. Combination of hail snow ice slush and water on the road. Crazy conditions multi season tyres handled it well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Heavy snow outside Dungannon, Co Tyrone, this morning. Heavy showers on and off every 20 mins or so. Will be a fun trip home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We had a rain/sleet shower here in Waterford City around 8am and it froze to everything it touched. Footpaths were lethal and roads similar. Thankfully the sun is out now to dry everything up but earlier it was a nightmare.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Sorry for the late posting. These pics are from Wednesday in co Louth and the Cooley mountains.
    The average snow depth was about a 1ft but the higher we got it was 4ft-6ft. Snow drifts where at least 8ft so we had no prob building snow caves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Main Donegal town to Ballybofey road last night. This point around 120M. Been white up there since the cold spell started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

And here it is now. Temp 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Long fetch southwesterly and southerlies on the models from midweek and nearby high pressure
    Temps could be in the teens so enjoy and go to the snow,it’s end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Long fetch southwesterly and southerlies on the models from midweek and nearby high pressure

We have the weekend to get over first ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057831918

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Good!

Aw.

I like

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good!

Enjoy it while you can:p The snow will be back towards February:D

ps
    The pictures are great. Snow Caves in Ireland! The mountains truly are the place to be! I'm just sorry
    i did not visit the mountains more often when i lived in South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

o6lhlw.jpg
    galtees today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thanks.

The Dench

I was up the Dublin mountains today up to about 520m asl, there's almost no snow left other than a few small patches in ditches and even that is the horrible icy kind that was partially melted and re-frozen.

I'd say you'd have to get a good bit higher to find anything decent, but I'd suspect that even Luginquilla's snow would be of the hard icy kind too.

There's plenty of thick hoar frost and ice around above about 400m though which is good for some nice wintry scenes. Cruagh, Tibradden or Ticknock (access to Two Rock/Thee Rock mtns) would be good choices for getting above 400m (close to the city with parking, short hikes to the top)

Saturday morning might give the mountains a top up of course, but as others have said I wouldn't venture up there if it is still falling. You might get a window of opportunity in the afternoon if it falls as snow in the morning and clears away before dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Definitely do this - don't be one of "those" people getting stuck on the Gap.

please, mind the gap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Snowing heavily here for the last 20 mins in south Cavan, sticking too, ground covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well we have had snow on and off the last few days here in Leitrim. Amounts very small. Yet this morning it's snowed for the last hour and it's sticking.

To be honest, and this is from someone who hates the snow, it looks stunning out their. Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

We had about 1cm of wet type snow, its turning to light mizzle of rain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snow showers S Sligo. Don't think it will stick though.

90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow in boyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Such a difference across the country again, 12 degrees, misty, and feeling very mild here in South East Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10.1C now in Kerry and quite breezy behind the front. I see on the radar mostly sleet now ( sleet = green, snow =pink, rain= blue )

temp_uk_fcr3.png

4JvLHsm.png?1

Temp climb here near Tralee once the front went through.

lHl47j5.png?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Below are the weather type and wet-bulb temperatures at 10 am this morning. In general, snow will not fully melt if the wbt is ≤0.6 °C.

The two stations in the North reporting snow have wbt of 0.2, wheres Ballyhaise is showing sleet at wbt 0.5. At 11 am Ballyhaise had turned to snow but the wbt had slightly risen to 0.6 °C. There may be some slight uncertainty as this is an instrumental estimation of weather type.

There are one or two stations with low wbt but still showing rain, Knock in particular. I think this is due to the fact that Knock is in the area of the warm front, so at its relatively high elevation it is up near the upper frontal boundary and has only a very shallow layer of cold air at the surface. At 11 am the wbt was the same but it was reporting sleet, so some evaporative cooling may be taking place in the warm layer just above the surface.

The same with Lough Fea (wbt 0.3). It's at 225 m so possible the same thing going on there. Castlederg on wbt 0.4 had risen to 1.0 at 11 am and still rain. Both of these stations are automatic so again there may be some uncertainty as to the exact type of precipitation, plus there is lying snow there, which will keep the surface much colder.

Look at the rise in wbt further south. Some mention of snow in northeast Meath, while still rain in Dublin Airport at wbt 2.2. Altitude seems to be key here, with the marine surface layer keeping wbt higher in the Dublin area.
    439253.png

Advertisement