Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone have a nice airbrush they'd recommend to someone starting out?
    I really need to start painting some of my 3D prints and have decided to bite the bullet and buy an airbrush kit in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Iwata Eclipse CS comes highly recommended. I've one myself, pretty nice piece of kit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Think thats the one i have as well and its grand, ive been using it the last couple of weeks and had no issues, once you get used to what psi etc to use. ill get a more expensive one down the road, but its a great starter in case you wreck it.

EDIT: Actually no haha on closer examination thats not the same one i have, i spent 25 quid on mine i think lol. it looks exactly the same as that though but without the writing on it!

Cool, so i need a compressor as well. Any ideas on that guys?

Ideally a small, not so loud one is what I want. Would pay a bit extra for it to be neat and relatively quiet.

I bought this compressor

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/airbrush-compressor-as-189.html

Its very small, it does make a noise when its compressing, i guess thats the word.. but its not going to wake up the neighbours. id imagine the more you pay the quieter it will get. ive seen ones that are just enclosed boxes.

This is the airbrush i bought, dont think its available at that link anymore but you will see it anyways. - Click id love to get a more expensive one down the road like Myrddins, to be honest though this one is grand, you can see the results of what ive done with it so far with no experience whatsever on the last page of the build the falcon thread in my sig. ive been practicing on an ATST kit i have.

• Advertisement

I bought this compressor

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/airbrush-compressor-as-189.html

Its very small, it does make a noise when its compressing, i guess thats the word.. but its not going to wake up the neighbours.

This is the airbrush i bought, dont think its available at that link anymore but you will see it anyways. - Click id love to get a more expensive one down the road like Myrddins, to be honest though this one is grand, you can see the results of what ive done with it so far with no experience whatsever on the last page of the build the falcon thread in my sig. ive been practicing on an ATST kit i have.

Its kind of hard to tell the scale of that compressor. How big we talking?

Think that's the same compressor I have, though the box of mine is different. My compressor stands about 1.3 feet tall Steve, and similar in length. They're not huge, but they're a decent size.

Hmm i guess nintendo wii box, same size as that maybe a bit higher.. i know you can get smaller, but the price goes up as you do.

Cheers lads, I'll stick an order in for that Iwata Eclipse CS and see about the compressor. Looks like I'll need a 30mm and 50mm nozzle for what i want to do.

Picked up a Flir camera recently and started nerding around with it this evening :)

PC Engine Core Grafx with Turbo Everdrive 2.4 thermal image(powered up for about 30 mins).
    Images are low res, as thats just how Flir cams are.

x1BI0E2.jpg

q31a0YZ.jpg

• Advertisement

And after 4 hours running.

kTc5uCe.jpgcKN5AL2.jpg

Edit:
    And what my couch looked like when i get up after sitting on it for 20 mins :D

hCS8MPW.jpg

Ok, I'll stop boring you with these pics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paranormal Activity 5: Sofa Spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thats deadly, i remember the C64 power brick was nearly melting through the floor after a few hours, I'd say it would be bright white on those images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember the stepdown I was sold for my import GC actually melting on the wall, the plastic housing slagging off the metal interior.
    That smell though, sends chills of fear into every retrogamers heart :(

Well if anyone wants to see anything in particular with the thermal cam let me know. I'll overlay the temps on the image so it makes more sense.
    It's temp range is -20° to 120°C, so should cover most things.

I'm currently in the process of running and stress testing most of my consoles to see where the hot/warm spots are and seeing if some little heatsinks might help extend the life of them(those little ones for the raspberry pi are great for all the little chips inside our consoles).

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Well if anyone wants to see anything in particular with the thermal cam let me know. I'll overlay the temps on the image so it makes more sense.
    It's temp range is -20° to 120°C, so should cover most things.

I'm currently in the process of running and stress testing most of my consoles to see where the hot/warm spots are and seeing if some little heatsinks might help extend the life of them(those little ones for the raspberry pi are great for all the little chips inside our consoles).

take a piss and see how much it splashes :D
    what type did you get?
    we have a testo one in work,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What about a squashed scorpion in the palm of your hand? "over here...." :cool:

what type did you get?
    we have a testo one in work,

It's a version 2 Flir One(iOS version). Little dongle version that works with recent iPhones and iPads.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    What about a squashed scorpion in the palm of your hand? "over here...." :cool:

Hang on, I just need to change the settings for that.

i4Pt72h.jpg

Be interesting to see two dreamcasts, one running the gd emu, and one stock...side by side with the same duration of activity

Myrddin wrote: »
    Be interesting to see two dreamcasts, one running the gd emu, and one stock...side by side with the same duration of activity

I dont have a GDEMU anymore, moved on to the USB host adapter made by that mad russian dude.

On another note, anyone able to make something like this for me?
    http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8490331
    I want to connect that bluetooth NES adapter to a Famicom, and this seems like a way to do it, but my skills are lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

I dont have a GDEMU anymore, moved on to the USB host adapter made by that mad russian dude.

On another note, anyone able to make something like this for me?
    http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8490331
    I want to connect that bluetooth NES adapter to a Famicom, and this seems like a way to do it, but my skills are lacking.

Instead of buying the neo geo extension cable heres a trick to make a Db15 connector lomg enough to fit in the Famicom:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snk-neo-geo-diy-db15-controller-plug/

Couod be done a lot neater too.

Maybe 3D print a little case to hold the DB 15 and NES connector?

More FLIR stuff.

Megadrive/Mega-CD playing cart based game for an hour(Everdrive runs hotter than normal cart)
    qIuPpXG.jpg

Megadrive/Mega-CD playing CD based game for an hour(with multi region bios loaded from Everdrive if that matters)
    VEXo5yI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,493 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really loving those photos!

Any chance of taking some arcade PCB/CRT chassis ones?

Might not be as aesthetically pleasing but would be interesting to see :)

Sure, next time I've got the cab on with a pcb(and not hyperspin) I'll do a few pics of the pcb and cab itself.

And a few more pics of whats running in my office at the moment.
    Twin Famicom thats been powered up and running games for 8 hours from an Everdrive N8(in regular and predator vision).

oVVBDix.jpgs72wbtd.jpg
    WDyfqYt.jpgP661ioi.jpg

And the projector it's attached to.
    uZd0RrW.jpgnn1Jr3e.jpg

I went for an FLIR addon for iOS rather than a standalone FLIR as the SDK is open and some people have done some pretty cool apps for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

Can videos be taken with the FLIR app too?

Can the scale of colour be adjusted, it seems fairly sensitive fro, those pics.

Id love to see a video of someone using am ecig with a beefy mod.

Doge wrote: »
    Can videos be taken with the FLIR app too?

Can the scale of colour be adjusted, it seems fairly sensitive fro, those pics.

Id love to see a video of someone using am ecig with a beefy mod.

Yes you can do video, timelapse, photo and panorama with the default app. A lot more options with other apps and I'm still trying a them out.
    The video is only 8-15fps due to the way the sensor works, and the same low res as the photo mode(plus it pauses every 30 seconds to re-calibrate the sensor). The scale of colour is very adjustable with lots of different ways to view the temp range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tis only a matter of time before the human male groin and armpits become subjects of Steve's FLIR camera, if they haven't already.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tis only a matter of time before the human male groin and armpits become subjects of Steve's FLIR camera, if they haven't already.

Dude, like the second thing I did :D:D

Dude, like the second thing I did :D:D

And the number of surprised people = 0

• Advertisement

As an owner of a Global Hypercolor top back in '92, I can attest to the heat generated by the upper body in unfortunate places, making one look like a sweaty, though trendily dressed, git.
    I may have also been wearing Joe Bloggs jeans and a NafNaf jacket....
    And listening to The Shamen on my Aiwa walkman....
    Quite specific I know.....

Advertisement