Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Page Numbers, abbreviations, TOC

Options
  • 12-12-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Seems this got buried under my last thread so I'll try a new one.

LaTeX has gone well for me; thesis is nearly written, maybe Friday I'll finally be done with it

I do have three things I'm trying to finish of with the formatting though.

The first is the page numbering - I've been asked to use arial (helvet in my case) but I notice that while the entire document changes to the new format with no problem, the page numbers stay as the original LaTeX format. Would anyone have a suggestion for that?

The second is to do with the list of abbreviations. I just can't get it to work. I've tried the nomencl package, the glossary package and the acronym package. In fairness, I got the acronym package to work but it's not ideal as it doesn't put them in alphabetical order. Also, it doesn't suit the format I have for the list of figures/tables.

The nomencl package seems to be what I need/give the results I want but in all the examples I read they say something like "makeindex file.glo -s nomencl.ist -o file.gls" or something to that extent. I use TeXworks so I have the option to make the index separately but I get an error that "Can't find Thesis Report Gl.idx". To be honest I'm totally lost with it.

Thirdly, the format I have to use requires that the TOC is left justified with the chapter headings bold and the sub-headings as standard with no indent. So far I've not been able to find a way around that. Any examples online just don't suit.

I'll give an idea of what the preamble is so far:
    \documentclass[pdftex,11pt,a4paper]{report}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage[scaled]{helvet}
    \renewcommand*\familydefault{\sfdefault}

\usepackage [top=2.5cm,bottom=2.5cm,left=3.0cm,right=2.0cm]{geometry}
    \usepackage{pdflscape}
    \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
    \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{xcolor}
    \usepackage[english]{babel}
    \definecolor{grey}{RGB}{187,187,187} %For titlepage
    \definecolor{lightgrey}{RGB}{220,220,220} %For titlepage
    \definecolor{lightgreen}{RGB}{96,176,80} %For titlepage
    \usepackage{textpos} %Image position on title page

\usepackage{tikz}
    \usetikzlibrary{shapes,arrows}
    \usepackage{multirow}
    \usepackage{booktabs}

\usepackage{hyperref} % makes things clickable
    \usepackage{longtable}
    \usepackage{cite}
    \usepackage[square]{natbib} %"square" gives square brackets around the citation
    \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    \pagestyle{fancyplain}
    \lhead{Capacity Analysis of}
    \rhead{\includegraphics[scale=.25]{IEV.png}}
    \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.4pt}
    \renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0.4pt}

\usepackage[printonlyused]{acronym}

\begin{document}

\input{./title.tex}

In the main body there's nothing too unusual. Tables, figures, equations, a few tikzpictures, citations. The usual basically.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I don't have answers to any of your questions, but just wanted to say that because the LaTeX forum here is so small it could be unlikely you'll get an answer. If you split your question into parts you could post them on tex.stackexchange.com, where you're likely to have your problems solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Cool, thanks :)

I'll have a look and see what I can find.

Advertisement