Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 10:57   #61
taxAHcruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _blaaz View Post
I wouldnt be vegan....but it is the way of the future imo

When you see the arguements for it...they are mostly correct and lads thinking this is a fad or whatever are deluded,its here to stay and is most ethical and sustainable diet in long tern
Hard to make plausible predictions of the future given the advances in technology and companies like Memphis Meats. It is quite possible for example that "the future" is many of us - many vegans included - eating lab grown meat products.

And I have yet to see anything but the most extreme vegetarian or vegan take any issue ethically with lab grown meat. The more extreme say it is still ethically wrong because the original DNA sample used was taken without the animals consent. But that parses as nonsense for the majority of veggies and vegans I have heard reply to it.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 10:57   #62
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe40 View Post
You seem very angry about this. I have said I'm not a vegan, I'm not promoting veganism I'm just saying I understand why they feel compelled to express their opinion. My analogy as regards protesting slavery is sound.If you think something is morally wrong it is understandable that you might feel compelled to express that opinion.
Lol. Did I say you were? However thats even more wording from the plant advocates bible - 'Angry'? no my friend. Just pointing out the bs. Yeah and that slavery analogy is used by certain extremist plant advocates everywhere and yes it's bolox. Not just me saying that btw. But sure whatever you're having yourself...

Quote:
Veganism has a serious race problem. Type ‘vegan’ into Google and you won’t need to scroll through many pages to see what I mean. The routine comparisons of animal abuse to the enslavement of Black people shows exactly how little value white members of the vegan community, generally considered a liberal breed, place on Black life. This racism, so casually delivered, is designed to add shock value – to trigger a dietary epiphany. 
https://mediadiversified.org/2015/12...-race-problem/

Whats funny is that on one hand we have some here saying that in general plant advocates are a quiet bunch and never say anything. And then there's others saying its absolutely correct to protest and 'Express' yourself at others percieved moral failings' lol. So which is it? As for the reality - this is seen in death threats to food producers and gob****es in masks standing outside butchers shops intimidating people - so yes those choosing to engage in this type of behaviour deserve every bit of opprobrium they get.

Last edited by gozunda; 12-06-2019 at 11:39.
12-06-2019, 11:29   #63
OMM 0000

I think the reason vegans usually talk about it is because it's difficult.

I'm vegetarian and my life is definitely more difficult because of it.

For example, last night. I walked around trying to find some food, and my options were this:

Bread based things from 7/11

Things like crisps

Fries and corn from McDonalds

It's almost like having a disability. I can't just eat "normal" things like everyone else.

If you met me you wouldn't know I'm vegetarian, and I'm not in any way interested in that vegan identity a lot of people follow (kind of a hippyish lifestyle), but I get why people make being vegan a big part of their life, as it's hard.
12-06-2019, 11:30   #64
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxAHcruel View Post
Hard to make plausible predictions of the future given the advances in technology and companies like Memphis Meats. It is quite possible for example that "the future" is many of us - many vegans included - eating lab grown meat products.

And I have yet to see anything but the most extreme vegetarian or vegan take any issue ethically with lab grown meat. The more extreme say it is still ethically wrong because the original DNA sample used was taken without the animals consent. But that parses as nonsense for the majority of veggies and vegans I have heard reply to it.
Its welcome and rare to see someone on here separating the veggies/vegans from the extremists. They don't all hold such ridiculous beliefs, same can be said for many things.
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 11:31   #65
silverharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Ridiculous post of the week and its only Wednesday, fair play.
the vast majority of vegans are woman, that's a fact or have I been misinformed?
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 11:37   #66
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
the vast majority of vegans are woman, that's a fact or have I been misinformed?
No idea. That's not the part I had an issue with.
12-06-2019, 11:38   #67
joe40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
Lol. Did I say you were? However thats even more wording from the plant advocates bible - 'Angry'? no my friend. Just pointing out the bs. Yeah and that slavery analogy is used by extremist plant advocates everywhere and yes it's bolox. Not just me saying that btw. But sure whatever you're having yourself...

https://mediadiversified.org/2015/12...-race-problem/

Whats funny is that on one hand we have some here saying that plant advocates are a quiet bunch and never say anything. And then there's others saying its absolutely correct to protest and 'Express' yourself at others percieved moral failings' lol. So which is it? As for the reality - this is seen in death threats to food producers and gob****es in masks standing outside butchers shops intimidating people - so yes they deserve every bit of opprobrium they get.
You are twisting what I said. I am not comparing eating meat to slavery, that is obviously nonsense and any hardcore vegans making that argument are talking nonsense and diminishing human lives. I fully agree with that.

I haven't even heard those arguments before, since I haven't given veganism, for or against that much thought.

I was simply replying to the notion of why can't people just do their own thing and leave others alone. That does not apply if you think an action is morally wrong.
Another analogy then, if someone believes abortion is morally wrong, akin to murder, I can understand why they would find the argument that it should not affect you as not acceptable.
Like veganism I don't agree with them but can see their motivation. And also like veganism people that push their protests too far to include death threats and intimidation I would totally condemn.
I hope that clarifies my position.
12-06-2019, 11:46   #68
bubbles o hara

Ah, the twice monthly 'Let's bash vegans thread'. What is the obsession some of you have with vegans? Do you sit there munching your burger and suddenly decide to start a vegan bash thread? I don't support hunting, but I don't start 'All hunters are a load of wan***s threads'

And no, I'm not vegan, but give it a rest, ffs.
(4) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 11:52   #69
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe40 View Post
You are twisting what I said. I am not comparing eating meat to slavery, that is obviously nonsense and any hardcore vegans making that argument are talking nonsense and diminishing human lives. I fully agree with that.I haven't even heard those arguments before, since I haven't given veganism, for or against that much thought.
I was simply replying to the notion of why can't people just do their own thing and leave others alone. That does not apply if you think an action is morally wrong. Another analogy then, if someone believes abortion is morally wrong, akin to murder, I can understand why they would find the argument that it should not affect you as not acceptable. Like veganism I don't agree with them but can see their motivation. And also like veganism people that push their protests too far to include death threats and intimidation I would totally condemn.I hope that clarifies my position.
Funnily enough that and the 'dog though' analogy are some of standard bedrock mantra of plant advocacy 101. Don't believe me? Check it our for yourself. Christ you are not seriously bringing in abortion and murder!. How about the holocaust and nuclear waste for few more ridiculous analogies? There's plenty I believe is 'morally' wrong. Just because someone believes something is 'wrong' doesn't means that it is wrong btw.

And I agree it certainly doesn't mean you can go out and intimidate others because of your beliefs up to and including death threats against those who dont agree with you. I hope that clarifies everything.

Last edited by gozunda; 12-06-2019 at 11:56.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 11:56   #70
CQD

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
There's a joke here about meat and two veg somewhere, but I can't figure it out..
(2) thanks from:
12-06-2019, 11:57   #71
OMM 0000

I don't see how anyone can argue killing animals is "not wrong". 1) The animal doesn't want to die 2) You are causing it tremendous suffering and of course death. If you've ever seen an animal when it thinks it's going to be killed, you know how desperate and scared it is.

BUT

That's not to say we're not supposed to eat meat. Perhaps we're supposed to be savages, killing things for food, killing each other for power and dominance. If you look at the world, that's what seems to be happening.

So I think something can be "wrong" but also "the way".

I don't judge people who eat meat. We are all on our own journey in life.
12-06-2019, 12:07   #72
joe40

Quote:
Funnily enough that and the 'dog though' analogy are some of standard bedrock mantra of plant advocacy 101. Don't believe me? Check it our for yourself. Christ you are not seriously bringing in abortion and murder!. How about the holocaust and nuclear waste for few more ridiculous analogies? There's plenty I believe is 'morally' wrong. Just because someone believes something is 'wrong' doesn't means that it is wrong btw.

And I agree it certainly doesn't mean you can go out and intimidate others because of your beliefs up to and including death threats against those who dont agree with you. I hope that clarifies everything.
I think you are wilfully confusing an analogy with a comparison.

So what sort of things to you believe are morally wrong but you are still happy enough if they take place.

I have repeatedly said I don't find eating meat morally wrong. So I am blatantly, unambiguously say that I think people who hold that opinion are wrong, in my view.
I am simply saying that I understand their opinion and can understand why they may feel strongly about it.
Thanks from:
12-06-2019, 12:07   #73
archer22

Is the term "meat eaters" actually correct?.

Seems to me that Carrion eaters would be the more correct term in general...given that most people find the flesh in shops but were not involved in the killing of it.

Pretty much the same as a vulture finding bits of a carcass killed by something else..and they are described as "Carrion eaters".

So maybe its time those endless threads here had their own special section called the "Carrion eaters complaining about Plant eaters forum".
12-06-2019, 12:08   #74
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles o hara View Post
Ah, the twice monthly 'Let's bash vegans thread'. What is the obsession some of you have with vegans? Do you sit there munching your burger and suddenly decide to start a vegan bash thread? I don't support hunting, but I don't start 'All hunters are a load of wan***s threads'
And no, I'm not vegan, but give it a rest, ffs.

For 'not a vegan' that's a lot of giving out a lot about anyone else. Are others not allowed to comment? Or does freedom of expression only work for select groups?

Not vegan but veg*n for sure

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...&postcount=553

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=7800
12-06-2019, 12:11   #75
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
For 'not a vegan' that's a lot of giving out a lot about anyone else. Are others not allowed to comment? Or does freedom of expression only work for select groups?
You must have said everything you have to say on it over the various threads, G.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion