Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GT89 wrote: »
    To look on the bright side at least there won't be Spanish students this year

Good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss. I was were a driver I would pick up everyone except large groups of teenagers and the likes who are clearly not going to work or doing shopping. There should be no issue picking up induviduals.

I think should be up people's own induvidual judgement as to whether or not they feel it is safe to get on a crowded bus or train. Not up to a bus drivers view in fhe same way a dart or a luas driver can't refuse passengers.

It's not up to us as drivers to infringe on a person's right to travel. Personally I stick to 17 pax no matter where they sit. Capacity is the only thing we've been told to stick to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

It's not up to us as drivers to infringe on a person's right to travel. Personally I stick to 17 pax no matter where they sit. Capacity is the only thing we've been told to stick to.

Fair enough. I didn't drivers think had been told to stick to 17 people as the NTA had said that the social distancing measures were guidance rather than actual rules as such. Sounds like DB could be flouting the official NTA line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

When the Mon-Fri service resumes (on the 8th of June), this won't be possible because they simply don't have enough buses.

Not all routes will be in operation, even though it's a Monday-Friday service. Lower frequency services such as the 46E, 70D and some Xpresso routes will be suspended. The buses saved will be used to supplement other routes where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Fair enough. I didn't drivers think had been told to stick to 17 people as the NTA had said that the social distancing measures were guidance rather than actual rules as such. Sounds like DB could be flouting the official NTA line.

Dublin Bus are not flouting anything! the seating layout is the exact same on the Go Ahead double deckers and as we all know that Go Ahead have to dance to the N.T.As tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Nobody is flouting any 'Official Line' as that line is Totally Advisory and not (as yet) supported by specific legislation.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Introduction-of-Social-Distancing-Measures-On-board/

Note the repeated use of the terms 'should'....'asking' and even...'please'.

It is totally up to the Government to amend Public Transport / Construction & Use regulations to change these recommendations into regulations,and then recruit a large number of enforcers to put the thing to bed.

That is not going to happen,for a variety of reasons,few of which are connected with Public Transport per se.

Thankfully most people have behaved in a relaxed and cooperative manner up to this,with little actual enforcement required.

This appears to have annoyed some others who would have preferred a bit of discipline and structure to have been imposed.

In the interim,Irelands basic Health Service has NOT been overwhelmed,Irelands population has NOT been decimated and with the basic 'Recommendations' still being mainteined,there is ample evidence that the Population has endured and emerged from the worst...even if that worst,was'nt anywhere near what some experts were sombrely predicting back in February.

The World continues to spin...population continues to grow and,folks gotta eat :)

Unless...of course...It's all a huge Conspiracy :confused: ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Dublin Bus are not flouting anything! the seating layout is the exact same on the Go Ahead double deckers and as we all know that Go Ahead have to dance to the N.T.As tune.

I'm aware the same seating guidelines apply to GAI.

My point is have the NTA requested that drivers of DB and GAI skip stops or have DB or GAI themselves requested drivers skip stops.

Or indeed has it been the case that drivers have skipped stops on their own accord rather than following any company or NTA recommendations. To put it simply are drivers allowed to skip stops where someone has put their hand out at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Single decker GoAhead are allowing 10 pax in total.

Chaos will ensue on June 8th.

We need to go 1 metre or this thing doesnt have a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So on a go ahead you could have a group of 10 get on bus take up last 3 rows and driver would refuse everyone else even with multiple free rows

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
    A few questions asked to friends and eventually i get "word" from a DB driver.
    Will not stop for groups of teenagers, not essential travel
    Will not stop only a few stops from terminus, you can walk
    Once bus has 17 will not stop
    If 17 on bus and request to stop, will let 1 or 2 on over the 17 if group is travelling together, if individuals , 17 only.

What about complaints, apparently DB managers working from home, Driver said if they want to discipline me they can do it face to face and seeing as they wont be in doing so until Covid-19 has passed in September? driver will say the fact i'm here and not dead from Covid-19 is proof that my actions where the correct ones.
    In London bus drivers are dying at higher rate than medical staff, can you blame a bus driver for looking after number one?

• Advertisement

da_miser wrote: »
    If 17 on bus and request to stop, will let 1 or 2 on over the 17 if group is travelling together, if individuals , 17 only.

What about complaints, apparently DB managers working from home, Driver said if they want to discipline me they can do it face to face and seeing as they wont be in doing so until Covid-19 has passed in September? driver will say the fact i'm here and not dead from Covid-19 is proof that my actions where the correct ones.
    In London bus drivers are dying at higher rate than medical staff, can you blame a bus driver for looking after number one?

They didn't do anything to protect drivers the obvious they should have done was rear door boarding if they want to protect drivers.

Would have meant bus drivers were at the same risk as Luas or train drivers. Hell even on the Luas they blocked off set of doors nearest the driver despite the fact the driver is not in contact with passengers. It was the obvious thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

So on a go ahead you could have a group of 10 get on bus take up last 3 rows and driver would refuse everyone else even with multiple free rows

If that happened, I'd request that people sit in the designated seats. I always make sure to switch the engine off before making such requests. And I don't switch it back on until they've complied. I don't care how long it takes; I'm getting paid anyway.

It's a confined space and there's no middle door, so any more than 10 passengers is a definite no-no.

As per usual us bus drivers have been literally thrown under the bus.
    I wasn't supplied with any hand sanitizer for over 5 weeks, 6 actually and I supplied my own and wipes and still do with them.

We were given a bag with 11 wipes individual wrapped for hands, a little bottle to fill and a spray bottle we can use at home.

On the road we are left in the thick of it and the public aren't all bad of course but there are some serious loons out there and we are expected to be able carry on safely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I haven't used a bus in months, and I won't until everybody wears a mask. Looking into buses, I see that is not the case. Will this ever change?

I wasn't supplied with any hand sanitizer for over 5 weeks, 6 actually and I supplied my own and wipes and still do with them.

We were given a bag with 11 wipes individual wrapped for hands, a little bottle to fill and a spray bottle we can use at home.

On the road we are left in the thick of it and the public aren't all bad of course but there are some serious loons out there and we are expected to be able carry on safely.

What they should done was rear door boarding all they seemed to do was seal off the speech holes on the assault screen. That's what London did but only after multiple drivers died other cities on the continent did this back in early March.

This what buses in Germany have been like since March. Should really have been the same here.

https://twitter.com/BenBollingbrook/status/1265610899768909825?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What’s the situation on Dublin Bus re numbers? I haven’t used a bus since the middle of March but might need one tomorrow.

Is there much demand beyond the 17/18 passenger limit or are they still running almost empty?

Collie D wrote: »
    What’s the situation on Dublin Bus re numbers? I haven’t used a bus since the middle of March but might need one tomorrow.

Is there much demand beyond the 17/18 passenger limit or are they still running almost empty?

Depends on route and time of the day. The buses I've had to use have had no issues.

Collie D wrote: »

What route will have a huge bearing on that....oh and time of course.

Peak times are from what I've seen is staff turn over at hospitals and nursing homes.

Anywhere from 6.30 to before 8am and evenings then too, the weather is creating even more travel now too as many are going to parks and beaches and places can go for walk.

Essential travel imo is out the window after 2 weeks in and people realised they could travel with much less risk of been checked or stopped as buses in 99% of cases were waved through checkpoints.

I was oy stopped twice one was for a chat as they wanted to get done feed back and see how we were getting on and the other I had one person on and he still got on to check.

O'Connell st was mainly the spot for these checks where they were actually getting on but of course only sometimes.

The very essence of humanity is that we are individuals,with the power to think and rationalize for ourselves.

Just because an individual is a Busdriver or a passenger does not make them part of some group think on any particular issue.

Personally,as a Busdriver I do not believe I have been thrown under anything.

As we have seen across the World,reactions to CV19 have been varied,with only a handful of Countries taking seriously restrictive measurers from early on,with South Korea and New Zealand being most referred to.

Public Transport operators worldwide were directed by the WHO guidelines,as individual Governments largely used these as the startpoint,however many Countries then began to modify their approach to these guidelines as CV19 began to bite locally.

Ireland,seems to have been somewhat ahead of the UK in the effectivity of it's response,with our overall situation today,reflecting this.

Again,speaking personally,I am not aware of any Busdriver in my own employment who has succumbed to CV19,a situation I very much hope continues.

I am aware,again personally,of several who felt it necessary to self-isolate,or who were medically directed to do so,and again,in the case of my own employment,specific arrangements have been negotiated within the sickness & welfare scheme to ensure that these individuials are not penalized for their absence.

I am unaware of any employment where full CV19 protective measures were in place from Day 1,but as events unfolded,I feel the response was on a par with the country in general.

We certainly reacted faster than Transport for London,where many of it's Bus Operators were slow to recognize the greater need for sanitization and contact restrictions between their own Staff,rather than focusing on the already low levels of Customer/Staff contact.

When this pandemic eventually subsides (and it shall),it will be of extreme interest to see if the TfL transmissions could be traced to mainly Staff/Staff as many observers feel to be the case.

The TfL Bus Staff investigation is already underway....

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2020/may/review-into-coronavirus-infections-and-deaths-among-bus-workers

Covid19 has without doubt caught the World off-guard,however society has never been in a better place to scientifically review and investigate the entire scenario,which is what will happen.

We may never totally eradicate it,and just as we do with many other viruses,we will have to learn to live alongside it and respect it.

For now,I'm comfortable enough with the basics of Sanitization,social distancing ie: no physical contact and 2 metres gap,anything less that that has to be for less than 15 minutes,or momentary (as most Busdriver/Customer interactions are )

The vast majority of these responses will be on an individual basis,with changing our habits and minor additions to daily routine,but on the whole,right now I believe we've done OK.

Now,wash yer hands !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

da_miser wrote: »

What about complaints, apparently DB managers working from home, Driver said if they want to discipline me they can do it face to face and seeing as they wont be in doing so until Covid-19 has passed in September?
    driver will say the fact i'm here and not dead from Covid-19 is proof that my actions where the correct ones.

With 2,600 Busdrivers,it's perhaps not surprising that individual perceptions can,and do, differ...sometimes greatly.

In common with all employments,The CIE Companies have had to identify areas where Working From Home can be implemented.

From my own experience,most Depot Management and Admin Staff are working normally albeit from modified office layouts.

Head Offices and regional departments are where most WFH is in force,but normal Depot management/staff interaction is still going on as before.

Now,Wash yer hands ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Walking along the Coast Road, roughly around Raheny, today I saw about 15 people waiting at one stop. I wonder how long they waited for...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

ixoy wrote: »
    Walking along the Coast Road, roughly around Raheny, today I saw about 15 people waiting at one stop. I wonder how long they waited for...

yeah it was a Sh*t show yesterday. anywhere along the coastline and probably at least 2 buses passed you. Familes and gangs of youths heading out for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone know if toilets in bus/train stations are accessible?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

LastStop wrote: »
    yeah it was a Sh*t show yesterday. anywhere along the coastline and probably at least 2 buses passed you. Familes and gangs of youths heading out for the day.
    I even saw a bus pass by a stop where just one guy was waiting.

How on earth will this possibly work when working life resumes more? It was packed as was. A return to people using their cars is likely inevitable. It's going to be chaotic.

ixoy wrote: »
    I even saw a bus pass by a stop where just one guy was waiting.

How on earth will this possibly work when working life resumes more? It was packed as was. A return to people using their cars is likely inevitable. It's going to be chaotic.

But yet no limits on the Luas or the Dart

There is but people are deciding not to adhere to it... Pulling signs off seats, well they're doing that on the bus too.

https://twitter.com/Luas/status/1256236937104338945?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

There is but people are deciding not to adhere to it... Pulling signs off seats, well they're doing that on the bus too.

Why isn't there a threat of a 100 euro fine backed up by cctv for ripping seats signs off?

• Advertisement

Unenforceable though

You said there was no limits though when there clearly is.

Advertisement