Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blackz

brisan wrote: »
    Are you still contemplating going ahead with the purchase ?
    The present owners of the site where half your house is built may not have an issue ,but what if they sell ?
    Do you intend getting the site borders redrawn ?
    Do the neighbours know ??

Yes borders will have to redrawn. Everything is sorted with present owners of land, so its just the land registry now. Its got to a stage now, really thinking of pulling the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Is it normal for new build contract agreements to not specify the exact floor plan with measurements? My solicitor says it is ok as long as there's a floor plan shown even without measurements but I'm just wondering if thats standard practice and nothing to worry about.
    Also, Is it advisable to get a structural surveyor for new builds?

Even if you got an exact floor plan with measurements the chances of even one room being accurate are very slim
    That’s why you never ever buy furniture until you have the keys in your hand

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it normal for new build contract agreements to not specify the exact floor plan with measurements? My solicitor says it is ok as long as there's a floor plan shown even without measurements but I'm just wondering if thats standard practice and nothing to worry about.
    Also, Is it advisable to get a structural surveyor for new builds?

Yes it is completely normal.

No you do not get a structural survey for a new build. You get a snag instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Foodie2012

Currently sale agreed on a new build over a month now and it's being held up by solicitors, wondering if anyone has experienced similar?
    Our solicitor has sent the developers solicitors some basic queries on land registration, access and declaration of identity. We asked a family friend solicitor to review who has confirmed all queries are reasonable. However the developers solicitors just keep ignoring them and not responding, and have now issued us with a letter saying we need to sign contracts by tomorrow!! Our solicitor won't let us sign until queries have been addressed. So frustrating, as over 100 people have already bought so there shouldn't be any issues!

Have many sales fallen through for these reasons, is it normal for this to happen for a house in a new build estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭ElitesTeam

So I'm sale agreed since last week.

Have a engineer schedule next week to check the house.

Contacted the bank to inform them.

How long do you normally wait for sellers contract?

When do you find out rough closing date?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Keep looking! Sales fall through and you do not want to be starting at zero again if it does.

Closing date should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

A bit of progress made. Contacted solicitor all the purchaser queries have been answered. Awaiting for signed contracts in the next few days. Once we have them, we can sign and as well sign our purchase. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is it normal for the agent not to tell the seller who is buying the house?

My parents are selling, and they don't want to sell it to some people in particular. But the agent won't tell us the name of the people who are bidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

My parents are selling, and they don't want to sell it to some people in particular. But the agent won't tell us the name of the people who are bidding?

Just put the foot down, that is nonsense.

• Advertisement

What difference does it make to them?
    They are selling

bubblypop wrote: »
    They are selling

Some people would care about the neighbours they are leaving behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They are selling

They might care if they're friends with the neighbours. They might prefer to sell to a couple or family instead of a landlord for example, so that the neighbours aren't dealing with constant turnover in the house next door never knowing what type of neighbours they'll have from one year to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pivot Eoin wrote: »

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Can anyone recommend one of the brokers affiliated with Avant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

SameOleJay wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend one of the brokers affiliated with Avant?

I'm with one of them, however I would NOT recommend them. They have 5 stars on Google, but it's like pulling teeth to get info from the particular staff member I'm dealing with. Also painfully slow coming back with questions (and answers). PM if you wish. I've asked for us to be put through Avant now they've entered the market, but the request hasn't even been acknowledged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Givy, can you pm me and I'll cross them off please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Huh? There is absolutely zero entitlement to the info, and definitely not a name as I thought I saw someone suggest.

Some people would care about the neighbours they are leaving behind.

When I bought my last house, the neighbours knew everything about me before I moved in.
    My name, status and even my job. I was not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

When I bought my last house, the neighbours knew everything about me before I moved in.
    My name, status and even my job. I was not happy.

That would drive me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Westieatheart

Quick question if contracts have been exchanged, all funding ready to draw and a closing date within the contract (about to lapse tomorrow) how long can a purchaser delay legally?

We were meant to be closing next week (a week after what was originally agreed) and our purchasers have now decided they don't want to move until mid Oct after the restrictions in Dublin have been lifted (Note the restrictions currently dont state you cant move and they currenlty live less than 5km for our house within Dublin also so it all seems a bit ridiculous to be honest especially given by that time we may be at a higher lockdown level and at that point not be permitted to move).

My solicitor seems to have become mute, he contacted us yesterday to say we were closing next tuesday then 30 minutes later the estate agent calls me to say hes been advised that its mid Oct due to Covid restrictions.. has anyone else ran into this lately? appreciate this is a Dublin specific query. Seems a bit of a stall tactic again by our purchasers who have a habit of dragging things out at every corner..

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Huh? There is absolutely zero entitlement to the info, and definitely not a name as I thought I saw someone suggest.

A name isnt necessary I agree,

But you have an entitlement to know who it is, if theyre local or a foreign Investor etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Westie, we're due to close soon in Dublin and while I'm wary of the restrictions, we still want to move asap. Both sets of parents are going to help us move, but I'm very conscious of the rule regarding only one household visiting another household and what the neighbours might think. So we'll probably have to get them to help us in shifts so there's no overlap.

It's also our first house and we're coming from an apartment that was fully furnished by the landlord - so we'll have to buy absolutely everything! Which means spending a lot of time in the shops, which isn't ideal at this time, but we're just taking precautions and getting on with it.

It's possible they have the same concerns though and if for example they have an underlying health condition, they might think it's not worth the risk and want to push it out by a couple of weeks. The problem is, I can see level 3 being extended for another 3 weeks or possibly even going up to level 4. So they might want to keep pushing out the date indefinitely :/

I'd talk to your solicitor and to see what your options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    So I'm sale agreed since last week.

Have a engineer schedule next week to check the house.

Contacted the bank to inform them.

How long do you normally wait for sellers contract?

When do you find out rough closing date?

:)

Get the bank valuer out to the house as soon as you can and get that back in to them, they will then process your loan offer, this takes a few weeks (depending on the bank),

Line up life assurance & house insurance too - you can get this through your bank too if you want to make it a bit easier.

Sellers contract depends on their solicitor. Should be fairly quick though.

Closing date can be any time unfortunately, rough estimates are 8-12 weeks but can be shorter and can be a lot longer....

woodchuck wrote: »
    Westie, we're due to close soon in Dublin and while I'm wary of the restrictions, we still want to move asap. Both sets of parents are going to help us move, but I'm very conscious of the rule regarding only one household visiting another household and what the neighbours might think. So we'll probably have to get them to help us in shifts so there's no overlap.

It's also our first house and we're coming from an apartment that was fully furnished by the landlord - so we'll have to buy absolutely everything! Which means spending a lot of time in the shops, which isn't ideal at this time, but we're just taking precautions and getting on with it.

It's possible they have the same concerns though and if for example they have an underlying health condition, they might think it's not worth the risk and want to push it out by a couple of weeks. The problem is, I can see level 3 being extended for another 3 weeks or possibly even going up to level 4. So they might want to keep pushing out the date indefinitely :/

I'd talk to your solicitor and to see what your options are.

Congrats on the move Woodchuck thats fantastic news!! I totally hear you on the rules we already secured our rental and have been moving everything ourselves bit by bit to the house with one final load with a removal van which will all be covid compliant, I think the exact same in terms of we will probably have more restrictions so this is ridiculous to hold back now, we are also paying rent and a mortgage while they stall its extremely frustrating.

The date they want isnt even the date the restrictions are due to end its beyond that. Also Covid cant live beyond 72 hrs on a surface so they would only need to wait a few days before starting to move stuff if thats part of their concern.

My solicitor has just ignored all our contacts today and yesterday since it just feels like another slap in the face from the purchasers who have been difficult to date

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rookieMan

I am currently bidding on properties and I am finding that on certain properties I bid on, even though my bid is highest, the agent comes back to me stating that seller is expecting more. Is it normal to have a round of negotiation with seller after you have outbid other buyers?

rookieMan wrote: »
    I am currently bidding on properties and I am finding that on certain properties I bid on, even though my bid is highest, the agent comes back to me stating that seller is expecting more. Is it normal to have a round of negotiation with seller after you have outbid other buyers?

They're well within their rights, probably more so if its still below asking.

If youre above asking by more than 2-3% (Dublin anyway) then you can probably be a little safer holding firm.

Quick question if contracts have been exchanged, all funding ready to draw and a closing date within the contract (about to lapse tomorrow) how long can a purchaser delay legally?

We were meant to be closing next week (a week after what was originally agreed) and our purchasers have now decided they don't want to move until mid Oct after the restrictions in Dublin have been lifted (Note the restrictions currently dont state you cant move and they currenlty live less than 5km for our house within Dublin also so it all seems a bit ridiculous to be honest especially given by that time we may be at a higher lockdown level and at that point not be permitted to move).

My solicitor seems to have become mute, he contacted us yesterday to say we were closing next tuesday then 30 minutes later the estate agent calls me to say hes been advised that its mid Oct due to Covid restrictions.. has anyone else ran into this lately? appreciate this is a Dublin specific query. Seems a bit of a stall tactic again by our purchasers who have a habit of dragging things out at every corner..

You (your solicitor) can issue a 28 day notice. They are pretty ineffectual though.

You (your solicitor) can issue a 28 day notice. They are pretty ineffectual though.

Thanks im aware of that alright, so essentially they can delay max a month from a 28 day notice being served?

Thanks im aware of that alright, so essentially they can delay max a month from a 28 day notice being served?

They can delay after that too but you can withdraw at that point AFAIK.

An order of specific performance would be costly, take ages and you may not even get one. As a throw away comment my solicitor said it would be about €20K when I was venting during the last house I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rookieMan

They're well within their rights, probably more so if its still below asking.

If youre above asking by more than 2-3% (Dublin anyway) then you can probably be a little safer holding firm.

Thanks. Is it ok to ask what is the final price the seller would go at and negotiate accordingly? Or as a seller, you are just expected to keeping bumping up the offer till it is accepted?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Is it ok to ask what is the final price the seller would go at and negotiate accordingly? Or as a seller, you are just expected to keeping bumping up the offer till it is accepted?

It's all a game with no rules. Check the PPR and bid what you think its worth. They either accept it or they don't but they'll bugger you about regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

I got my keys last night. We are delighted.

Thanks for everyone's input. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Where did you buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The names of the buyers will be on the contracts that your parents will need to sign so they will find out before they commit to the sale.

It would be costly for the estate agent not to give their names (even just first names) if they have to relist and put more time into selling it another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Is anyone dealing with the AIB portal at the moment? We are experiencing delay upon delay and find it very difficult to speak to anyone. I have to say my experience with it has been shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Is anyone dealing with the AIB portal at the moment? We are experiencing delay upon delay and find it very difficult to speak to anyone. I have to say my experience with it has been shambolic.

Just called them and got things progressed very quickly. Was waiting 3 weeks for things to be verified on the portal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Of course it is. Buying a second-hand house, the estate agents will always try and push you to the last penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Yeah online portal they gone awful slow. Just ring but youll be on hold for a good 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Was supposed to collect the keys today at five and around two hours ago the vendor's solicitor emailed saying they now are not in a position to close today and seeming went home for the day. No reason given or anything. My solicitor is trying to get in contact but nobody wants to talk to her. It's just infuriating. Sale agreed for three months. Just infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Has anybody snagged in Galway recently, would appreciate any recommendations if so. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Was supposed to collect the keys today at five and around two hours ago the vendor's solicitor emailed saying they now are not in a position to close today and seeming went home for the day. No reason given or anything. My solicitor is trying to get in contact but nobody wants to talk to her. It's just infuriating. Sale agreed for three months. Just infuriating.

That's beyond infuriating, that's wildly unacceptable. I don't know your circumstances, but you could be sat outside the house with a removal van full of your goods, unhappy removal men, and nowhere to stay for the entire weekend. I hope your OK, but your solicitor should tear them a new one on Monday, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 catsnow

Hi everyone,

I went to sale agreed a few days ago and I need to organise a survey for the apartment I am buying, 48m2.

What is a normal price range for a pre-purchase survey? Any recommendations for companies to contact are very welcome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 Meraf

Hi everyone,

Currently i'm bidding for apt and I have suspicions that agent is playing phantom bids. Can I ask agent to show me proof that there are other bids ?

Many thanks

Twitter helps a lot in case of huge delays. It helped me to go through after many weeks of delays

catsnow wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I went to sale agreed a few days ago and I need to organise a survey for the apartment I am buying, 48m2.

What is a normal price range for a pre-purchase survey? Any recommendations for companies to contact are very welcome!

are you buying cash or loan ?

If loan then get approved by bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 djbergin

cant26 wrote: »
    Has anybody snagged in Galway recently, would appreciate any recommendations if so. Thanks!

I too am looking for a recommendation for a good snag list in the Galway area, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Mr Hindley wrote: »
    That's beyond infuriating, that's wildly unacceptable. I don't know your circumstances, but you could be sat outside the house with a removal van full of your goods, unhappy removal men, and nowhere to stay for the entire weekend. I hope your OK, but your solicitor should tear them a new one on Monday, frankly.

Luckily we still have a month in our current place but thank you for the concern. If we didn't I'd be kicking in their door I'd say. The whole process has been tough but to be this close and then to do this while everything else is done is shameful. Had to cancel two installations for Monday. It's worse there's nothing you can do. Should be all contracts that the date is in stone. Or at least something to help the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Luckily we still have a month in our current place but thank you for the concern. If we didn't I'd be kicking in their door I'd say. The whole process has been tough but to be this close and then to do this while everything else is done is shameful. Had to cancel two installations for Monday. It's worse there's nothing you can do. Should be all contracts that the date is in stone. Or at least something to help the buyer.

Have you drawdown your mortgage already? Has it been transferred to their solicitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I’m sorry to hear your predicament But glad you still have your place. Would probably feel the same as you if I was in that dilemma with nowhere to go.

I’m coming at it from the opposite side of things and the buyer is dragging heels a bit now. 3rd closing date coming up next.

Oh and don’t even talk to me about ‘solicitors not hearing back from other solicitor’. It’s really hard to believe they can go so deathly quiet at such critical points in the process. I do agree that the date should be set in stone. Although is there a mechanism to sue for charges if a closing date has passed and you are out of pocket as a result of the other side not sticking to the agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Markitron wrote: »
    That would drive me mad

It’s only natural neighbours would be informed ? I’m selling and I will tell the neighbours about who is buying they have lived next door to the house for 50 years old couples on both sides and I feel out of respect and to allay fears they have a right to know

• Advertisement
Advertisement