Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hurling Rankings

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

^^^more hurling snobbery obviously^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Offaly could finish outside the top 10 for the first time since probably the 1960's (I'll have to check that) if they lose to Dublin, there's a good chance the McDonagh Cup champion will gain enough points for a top 10 finish.

EDIT
    Don't have access to the relevant Excel sheet right now but Offaly did finish the 1976 and 1977 seasons in 11th place, I'm almost certain they won't have finished outside the top 10 after that as they made their big breakthrough after that. I did post a 'snapshot of the 70's' here before.

I'm surprised to see that Offaly hit a nadir in 1976-1977. My recollection is that Offaly after some years of noble but largely unsuccessful effort finally got to Division I in 1976-77 ( or was it 1975-76?) and drew with Wexford in their first league game in Birr, eventually scraping enough points to stay in Division I. They lost to Clare in a league quarter-final or semi-final on Easter Saturday 1977. I would have thought that you would have to go back to about 1960 to find Offaly as lowly as now. In the fifties they were consistently beaten by Laois and Westmeath and struggled against Kerry, Antrim and Carlow.
    All credit to them for achieving what they did from such a tiny base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

In fairness, the system you have is reflecting the cliché that anyone could beat anyone on the day. Nothing between 3rd and 8th which is how I'd see the current situation too. Galway are that bit ahead of everyone at the moment and again the rankings bring that out.

Well done and I always check out the thread on a Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I've been doing work on this bit by bit throughout the year, I have a new start point of 1965 as that best suits the data I have available. Here's a snap of the mid to late 1970's, and I did a write up focusing on one team from this era you may or may not find interesting!

t8t094.jpg

Clare had some team towards the end of the 1970's, they just couldn't put it together for the championship.

Great statistics. Not much change really. I was doing some research on Dublin recently. I remember beating Cork, Galway, Wexford in league in 70s so memory possibly skewed! Never had a good championship. Interesting to see how high Kildare were in mid 70s. Beat us in Aughrim and ran Wexford close in Leinster semi final. Some great hurlers like Carew and Dunny. Both dual players I think,

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Even losing to Kilkenny, Limerick would still have won 3 championship games to Tipp's none so it would seem a bit odd to me anyway that Tipp could have finished in front. Wexford and Waterford is harder to balance up on account of the provincial aspect. Wexford also won 3 games to Waterfords none so you'd expect they'd be some distance ahead, but in reality it feels a lot closer. Probably still Wexford and definitely if their more solid League campaign is taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

You might have to play around with your weightings alright - don't know if you have knockout round weightings or not but no matter how good your model is, there will always be quirks.

If you look objectively at Limerick's season they beat an injury hit Waterford, beat Tipp who made a lot of changes at home, had a battling draw against Cork and got beat out the gap by Clare. If they lost to KK fifth or sixth would be the right spot for them.

Do you have a province strength rating for the group games? Based on results this year Wexford should be ahead of Waterford but Waterford did get to the final last year so that was probably still coming through in your model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Wexford touch and go really. They beat Dublin, Offaly and Westmeath.

Clare beat them well and while they could well have won Munster, they could just as easily been knocked out too. There was a big imbalance in the provinces this year and its hard to account for that in your rankings objectively.

Last year at least there was no excuses as automatically losing teams in Munster played losing teams in Leinster and the best progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Wexford should not be ahead of Waterford. Themselves and Dublin are not at the races yet and Clare showed that by winning at their ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Quick question, I need to ensure I'm being objective on something.

Let's say Kilkenny held on and defeated Limerick last weekend, even by just the one point. Tipp would have moved up to 5th with Limerick dropping to 6th.

Would it seem correct that Tipperary would finish the year ahead of Limerick in that scenario?

Also, Wexford's defeat to Clare dropped them down to 8th, moving Waterford up 1 place to 7th.

In a nutshell, do you feel Waterford or Wexford should be ranked higher? And do you feel Limerick or Tipperary should have been ranked higher; had Kilkenny won the quarter final? Also, Carlow are 10th ahead of Offaly. I'd personally see that as fair but would anyone disagree with that?

Throwing it open because I want to ensure my obvious loyalty to Limerick does not cloud my judgement here. Basically, weighting is dependent on the championship structures to a degree. There was heavier weighting applied on the basis that a team could play as few as 2 games. Now that they get more games, I may need to slightly modify the weighting.

Any update on the table?

It might be best to leave it until Monday I suppose after Cork beat limerick by 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

Congratulations Limerick! Hope to see the end of year table in a few months (when the celebrations have died down a little!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bansai

Any chance these rankings could be picked up again? Understand its a lot of work but always enjoyed this thread (together with the footbsll rankings).

More than happy to help out if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I've been itching for these rankings to return, because of the effect the group based championships might have. In a knockout system, the points tend to funnel upwards from the eliminated teams to those still in the competition, so that the end of year table generally mirrors the final positions in the championship. Added to this was how all but one team finished the year with a loss, so they tended to finish on a local low.

Now though, an eliminated team can get similar results to a team who progresses (e.g. Galway in Leinster), but they will "keep" these points where in other years they'd have lost them.

I've a feeling the group stages will result in lower gaps between teams. There's only a finite number of points, so teams can have a good game or 2 but get knocked out, which reduces the number of points up for grabs in the knockout stage of the championship. E.g. Clare finished the year with a win, gaining a few points. In previous years these points would have gone to one of Tipp, Cork or Limerick as the teams remaining, and would have just added to the pile of points that gets funneled towards the top. Instead Clare keep them and there's fewer points to go around later in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Please don't update these rankings.

Signed
    Everybody in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

So, sorry to drag up a thread that has been dormant since last June but I promise there is good reason to do so. I had been following these rankings along with the ones that Laoisman11 has been doing for the football, and thought it was a shame that this one has gone quiet. Hanalei (and others) have done an amazing job with it in the past, and I just think it would be an almighty shame to see all that work go to waste.

The reason I am posting is that I would greatly appreciate if any of the mods could check the deleted posts to see if there were any changes made to the system since 2017. I understand this may not be possible, but I would love to continue this on in as accurate a fashion as possible. I have gone back to the most recent rankings I could find which are from the week before the 2017 All Ireland Final between Galway and Waterford given the spate of deleted posts. I have gone through the thread to find the method used for the system and have put together the best attempt at it that I can. I have compiled all the results since that final up until the suspension of the league a few weeks ago, and just wanted to make a final check before doing any more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So, sorry to drag up a thread that has been dormant since last June but I promise there is good reason to do so. I had been following these rankings along with the ones that Laoisman11 has been doing for the football, and thought it was a shame that this one has gone quiet. Hanalei (and others) have done an amazing job with it in the past, and I just think it would be an almighty shame to see all that work go to waste.

The reason I am posting is that I would greatly appreciate if any of the mods could check the deleted posts to see if there were any changes made to the system since 2017. I understand this may not be possible, but I would love to continue this on in as accurate a fashion as possible. I have gone back to the most recent rankings I could find which are from the week before the 2017 All Ireland Final between Galway and Waterford given the spate of deleted posts. I have gone through the thread to find the method used for the system and have put together the best attempt at it that I can. I have compiled all the results since that final up until the suspension of the league a few weeks ago, and just wanted to make a final check before doing any more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rest assured Peanut Butter Jelly I will make enquires in relation to your query and revert back to you in due course via PM.

Fair play to you for making known your wish to take on this labour of love that will interest us all.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Rest assured Peanut Butter Jelly I will make enquires in relation to your query and revert back to you in due course via PM.

Fair play to you for making known your wish to take on this labour of love that will interest us all.

Thank you Seligehgit for the kind words. I have actually gotten my hands on the system and am currently working through the seasons since 2017, I should have the tables updates later on tonight so you do not need to go through the hassle anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

seligehgit wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think that the deleted messages were due to a GDPR request. As a result, I don't think we'll be able to see any of the deleted messages.
    However, to my recollection, Hanalei didn't make any changes to the system. I believe that it's the same (or similar) system that laoisman uses in his football rankings thread.

Fair play to you PBJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭laoisman11

Unfortunately, I think that the deleted messages were due to a GDPR request. As a result, I don't think we'll be able to see any of the deleted messages.
    However, to my recollection, Hanalei didn't make any changes to the system. I believe that it's the same (or similar) system that laoisman uses in his football rankings thread.

Fair play to you PBJ!

Both systems started off quite similarly but Hanalei's diverged a little from mine over time. Have to say that I didn't follow very closely the latter changes he made, sorry.

But I am super excited to see the renewed interest, and especially to see where Laois are now!

So we have the up to date rankings! I just want to quickly say a massive thank you to those who helped out in getting them back up to date, and all the kind words that have been said since I posted in here on Sunday night.

We're going to start out first with a look back at the final rankings from the 2017 season.

Position|
    Team
    |Points
    1st
    |
    Galway
    |
    |
    2nd
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |
    3rd
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |
    4th
    |
    Cork
    |
    |
    5th
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |
    6th
    |
    Clare
    |
    |
    7th
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |
    8th
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |
    9th
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |
    10th
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |
    11th
    |
    Laois
    |
    |
    12th
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |
    13th
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |
    14th
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |
    15th
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |
    16th
    |
    Meath
    |
    |
    17th
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |
    18th
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |
    19th
    |
    Down
    |
    |
    20th
    |
    London
    |
    |
    21th
    |
    Derry
    |
    |
    22th
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |
    23th
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |
    24th
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |
    25th
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |
    26th
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |
    27th
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |
    28th
    |
    Longford
    |
    |
    29th
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |
    30th
    |
    Louth
    |
    |
    31th
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    32th
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |
    33th
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |
    34th
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |
    35th
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |

Galway's win over Waterford in the All Ireland Final saw them clear at the top of the table by nearly 3 points. Looking then to the 2018 season, and the end of the 2018 National Hurling League:

2018 National Hurling League
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    2nd
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+4.17
    3rd
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+2.97
    5th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+0.3
    7th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+3.13
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |+0.56
    11th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |+2.29
    13th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+1.38
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+1.08
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    19th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |+2.85
    21th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    23th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+4.58
    24th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    26th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+5.51
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    |+2.29
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    31th
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |+5.67
    32th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    33th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |

Galway just about hold the spot for top team in the county, with the absolute narrowest of margins over the resurgent Cats who would have been top had they won the Division 1 title by 7 points instead of 6. Galway's victims from the All Ireland, Waterford, could not rebound from the defeat and drop the most of any county by nearly 4 points. The biggest winners were the men of Lancashire, who re-entered the league this year in Division 3B, winning 4 from 4 and the 3B title giving them a boost of 5.67 points. An honourable men must also go to Donegal who gained 4.58 points in a great campaign in 2B, as well as Warwickshire who gained 5.51 points as undefeated champions of 3A.

2018 Championship
    Position|Change|Team|Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    |+2.73
    2nd
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+7.4
    3rd
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+3.67
    4th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    |+1.48
    5th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |+0.21
    10th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |+3.59
    11th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |+2.76
    13th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+1.26
    14th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+2.21
    16th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |+4.68
    17th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    |+0.44
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+3.14
    21th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+1.82
    23th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |+3.63
    25th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    26th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+3.15
    27th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |+0.04
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+1.39
    31th
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    32th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |+4.72
    33th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |

Galway just hold on again to top spot, but champions Limerick can claim the biggest jump out of any team in the country, gaining 6 spots and 7.4 points en route to claiming the Liam McCarthy. It caps off a brilliant season for the Treaty men, who ended the 2017 season in 9th place ranked at 79.31 points and now sit in 2nd on 89.84 points. Kilkenny, Tipperary, Wexford and Waterford all lose 3 places, while Cork and Clare gain 3. Honourable mention must also go to Kildare who gain 5 places and 4.68 points, unlucky to lose out on promotion to the Joe McDonagh Cup against Antrim in the playoff.

2019 National Hurling League
    1st
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+0.38
    2nd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    5th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+2.34
    6th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |+0.46
    7th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+2.71
    8th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |+2.91
    10th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    11th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+2.09
    12th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    14th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    |+1.61
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |+2.91
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+0.72
    21th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |+2.7
    23th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+0.2
    26th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |+0.06
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |+1.24
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    31th
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |+3.72
    32th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |+3.81
    33th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |+3.43

The Tribesmen finally lose their seat at the top of the rankings to Division 1 Champions Limerick. Wicklow are the biggest gainers in the league position wise gaining 3 places on their rise to 18th, while points wise it's Sligo who gain most with 3.81 points, closely followed by fellow 3B competitors Lancashire who gain well in the league for the second year in a row, with a gain of 3.72 points. Kilkenny falter in Division 1, but survive for another year and it's Offaly who are relegated after losing the relegation final to Carlow

2019 Championship
    1st
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |+7.31
    2nd
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+1.38
    5th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+0.59
    7th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |+1.08
    9th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    |+9.21
    11th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    14th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+0.7
    15th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    |+4.97
    17th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |+10.43
    19th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+0.34
    21th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    23th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |+0.4
    26th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |+12.6
    27th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+1.34
    31th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    32th
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    33th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |+4.07
    34th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |+3.22
    35th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |

Tipperary may have lost out to Limerick in the Munster final, but they have the last laugh as they end the year as All Ireland Champions for the 28th time and gain 5 places as a result. Leinster champions Wexford fail to win their only game in the knockout stages of the championship but their Leinster counterparts Kilkenny and Laois both gain 4 places in the rankings. The biggest gainers are Sligo who gained 12.60 points as the newly promoted team in the Nicky Rackard and ended it as champions after beating Armagh in the final to gain promotion to the Christy Ring for 2020. Roscommon and Joe McDonagh winners Laois were also big gainers, with 10.43 and 9.21 points respectively. And for the first time since I've been looking at these rankings, FERMANAGH AREN'T BOTTOM!

National Hurling League 2020
    1st
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+1.85
    2nd
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    |+0.41
    4th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+1.11
    5th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+1.1
    6th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+0.19
    7th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+1.9
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    11th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+0.19
    12th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+1.27
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+0.86
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    |+2.49
    20th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    21th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    23th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+1.1
    25th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    26th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+1.21
    30th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    31th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    32th
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |+0.07
    33th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |+0.31
    34th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |+0.85

Obviously we all know the league has been postponed for now, but these are the results up to the last games played. Limerick have taken top spot from Tipperary after a perfect 5 from 5 in the round robin. Roscommon fail to live up to the high standard they set in the championship last season and drop 3 places.

And with that, we're back up to date. I'll be looking to keep these rankings updated once the season resumes, in whatever form that is, and hopefully it won't be too far away. I won't be able to preview the games in the great detail they were in the past as I'm not knowledgeable enough about the game to do so. I hope these are enough to keep ye going for now and at least we have something good to come from the lockdown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Thanks very much PBJ. Great to see this thread active again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great stuff PBJ, great to see Westmeath on the verge of the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ChildOfMine1

Just came across John Mullanes Team Of The Decade. What changes would anybody make make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

National Hurling League 2020
    13th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+1.27
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    ||
    Offaly
    |
    16th
    ||
    Meath
    |
    17th
    ||
    Wicklow
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+0.86
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    |+2.49
    20th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    21th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    22th
    ||
    Mayo
    |

I could just have a poor understanding of it, but one thing on the table has confused me. In Div 2A it has Antrim on +1.27, Kerry on -0.11, Offaly on -0.62, Meath on -1.29, Wicklow on -0.09 and Mayo on -1.42.

I've been under the impression these rankings work on a points-exchange model. So the minus and plus figures within the division should cancel out as what one team gains the other team loses, and points can't be created or destroyed.

But within the self contained division, the pluses add up to 1.27, and the minuses are 3.54.

Are extra points/games coming into play somewhere, or have I just misunderstood the whole thing?

Sorry to intrude here. With the present hiatus I'm thinking of opening a thread to pick provincial teams based on performances since, say, the start of the 2019 championship. Before i do I'm wondering if there arecenough who mournnthe loss of the inter-provinvials to generate interest. Would any takers P.M. me.

I could just have a poor understanding of it, but one thing on the table has confused me. In Div 2A it has Antrim on +1.27, Kerry on -0.11, Offaly on -0.62, Meath on -1.29, Wicklow on -0.09 and Mayo on -1.42.

I've been under the impression these rankings work on a points-exchange model. So the minus and plus figures within the division should cancel out as what one team gains the other team loses, and points can't be created or destroyed.

But within the self contained division, the pluses add up to 1.27, and the minuses are 3.54.

Are extra points/games coming into play somewhere, or have I just misunderstood the whole thing?

So, firstly, I am incredibly annoyed and sorry that I have only had time to get around to this now. My final year assignments and project has had to take precedence over it but I have an hour now to sort the record out. Only for your comment I would have completely missed it.

The errors are coming from the way that I have automated the tables that were in the original post. While they correctly calculated the new rankings, they pulled the new rating from the wrong column. I had 2 possible new ratings for each team, one after an outright win or loss, and one for after a draw. The teams whose last match ended in a draw would show the wrong rating in the table. While this is not as prevalent in the Championship, it is common in the League and would have lead to a few errors which I have now corrected below.

2017 End of Year Rankings don't change.

Position|
    Team
    |Points
    1st
    |
    Galway
    |
    |
    2nd
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |
    3rd
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |
    4th
    |
    Cork
    |
    |
    5th
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |
    6th
    |
    Clare
    |
    |
    7th
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |
    8th
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |
    9th
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |
    10th
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |
    11th
    |
    Laois
    |
    |
    12th
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |
    13th
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |
    14th
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |
    15th
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |
    16th
    |
    Meath
    |
    |
    17th
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |
    18th
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |
    19th
    |
    Down
    |
    |
    20th
    |
    London
    |
    |
    21th
    |
    Derry
    |
    |
    22th
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |
    23th
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |
    24th
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |
    25th
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |
    26th
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |
    27th
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |
    28th
    |
    Longford
    |
    |
    29th
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |
    30th
    |
    Louth
    |
    |
    31th
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    32th
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |
    33th
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |
    34th
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |
    35th
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |

2018 National Hurling League
    1st
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+4.67
    2nd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+2.66
    5th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+0.3
    6th
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+4.32
    7th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |+0.28
    11th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |+2.79
    13th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+1.8
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+1.17
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |+3.71
    19th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    21st
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    22nd
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+5.91
    23rd
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    26th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+6.75
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    |+2.64
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    31st
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |+6.71
    32nd
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    33rd
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |

2018 Championship
    1st
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+6.62
    2nd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    |+1.73
    3rd
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+2.28
    4th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    |+2.16
    5th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |+0.1
    10th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |+2.22
    11th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+0.68
    13th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |+2.09
    14th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+0.91
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |+3.89
    18th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    19th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    21st
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    22nd
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+2.2
    23rd
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+0.73
    24th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |+2.57
    26th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+1.91
    27th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+1.08
    31st
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    32nd
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    33rd
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |+2.88
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |

2019 National Hurling League
    1st
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+0.18
    2nd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+2.89
    5th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+2.55
    6th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |+3.9
    10th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    11th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+2.83
    12th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    |+1.91
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |+3.18
    18th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |+2.94
    21st
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+1.88
    22nd
    |
    |
    London
    |
    23rd
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |+0.31
    25th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |+0.64
    26th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |+2.13
    29th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |+4.47
    31st
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |+2.62
    32nd
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    33rd
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    34th
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |+3.88

2019 Championship
    1st
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |+6.84
    2nd
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+0.39
    5th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+1.49
    6th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+0.11
    7th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    |+6.11
    11th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    14th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+1.36
    15th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    |+2.87
    17th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    19th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+0.22
    20th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    21st
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |+6.83
    22nd
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    23rd
    |
    |
    London
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    25th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |+0.48
    26th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |+8.39
    28th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    30th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+2.46
    31st
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    32nd
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    33rd
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |+3.24
    34th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |+2.1
    35th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |

2020 National Hurling League
    1st
    |
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+2.51
    2nd
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    |+0.54
    4th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |+1.45
    5th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |+1.2
    6th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+1.89
    8th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    10th
    |
    |
    Laois
    |
    11th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |+0.43
    12th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    13th
    |
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+2.47
    14th
    |
    |
    Kerry
    |
    15th
    |
    |
    Offaly
    |
    16th
    |
    |
    Meath
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    18th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |+2.06
    19th
    |
    |
    Down
    |
    |+2.27
    20th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |+0.41
    21st
    |
    |
    Mayo
    |
    22nd
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    23rd
    |
    |
    London
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+1.39
    25th
    |
    |
    Armagh
    |
    26th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |+1.64
    28th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    |+1.96
    30th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    31st
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    32nd
    |
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    33rd
    |
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |+0.89
    34th
    |
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    35th
    |
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |+0.74

Once again, I'm sorry it took so long to explain everything and fix it, but I hope this makes up for it.

P.S. If you're wondering how Sligo has a black in the "+/-" column in this years league, they are rated too highly compared to the other teams they have faced in their division and as a result can't earn points. They can only lose them for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Offaly's slide has been sad to watch. As a county that were competitive in winning All Irelands less than 2 decades ago they should never have allowed themselves to slide down that far. There is a huge gap from the top 10 counties and the rest. Laois have the potential to bridge that gap and become competitive more consistently but is there enough dedicated hurling clubs there? Kerry are a county that could increase their hurling output and become reasonably successful if the will was there. Other than that counties like Carlow, Meath and Westmeath are counties with smallish hurling populations but might come with a good team now and again if they worked at it.

• Advertisement

Offaly's slide has been sad to watch. As a county that were competitive in winning All Irelands less than 2 decades ago they should never have allowed themselves to slide down that far. There is a huge gap from the top 10 counties and the rest. Laois have the potential to bridge that gap and become competitive more consistently but is there enough dedicated hurling clubs there? Kerry are a county that could increase their hurling output and become reasonably successful if the will was there. Other than that counties like Carlow, Meath and Westmeath are counties with smallish hurling populations but might come with a good team now and again if they worked at it.

You are forgetting Antrim, the one that has always had the potential to break through. Thriving clubs, good enough at times to win the All-Ireland club championship, but too much internecine strife it seems.
    Offaly were traditionally no stronger than Laois or Kerry. What they achieved was amazing for such a small county, and it would have taken a miracle to sustain it. A county like Clare or Waterford or Dublin can be expected to produce an exceptional crop once in a generation, and then they have to be lucky as well. That is probably the fate that lies in store for Offaly, but next time they will at least have a tradition to inspire them. Their predecessors didn't have that.
    The only other county that came close to a breakthrough was Kildare 1962-1976. They missed a Leinster final by a whisker and then crashed. I don't know why.. Maybe their senior team was so good that they concentrated all their resources in it and forgot about under-age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

feargale wrote: »
    You are forgetting Antrim, the one that has always had the potential to break through. Thriving clubs, good enough at times to win the All-Ireland club championship, but too much internecine strife it seems.
    Offaly were traditionally no stronger than Laois or Kerry. What they achieved was amazing for such a small county, and it would have taken a miracle to sustain it. A county like Clare or Waterford or Dublin can be expected to produce an exceptional crop once in a generation, and then they have to be lucky as well. That is probably the fate that lies in store for Offaly, but next time they will at least have a tradition to inspire them. Their predecessors didn't have that.
    The only other county that came close to a breakthrough was Kildare 1962-1976. They missed a Leinster final by a whisker and then crashed. I don't know why.. Maybe their senior team was so good that they concentrated all their resources in it and forgot about under-age.

Antrim is a funny one. They have a fairly good club scene and you'd imagine that would transfer to having good intercounty teams but bar a brief period in the late 80's they haven't been able to make any kind of impact. I think having their underage teams playing in Leinster should help them in the longer run with them being exposed to a better standard of opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i never knew about kildare. was it becuase football wa at such a low ebb at the time as well?

Sidenote: Apologies for the delay, I recently started a new job so with that and covid, I've been up the walls. Here's the rankings from the end of the league up to today.

Allianz Hurling League
    Position|
    Team
    |Points
    1st
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |
    2nd
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |
    3rd
    |
    Galway
    |
    |
    4th
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |
    5th
    |
    Clare
    |
    |
    6th
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |
    7th
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |
    8th
    |
    Cork
    |
    |
    9th
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |
    10th
    |
    Laois
    |
    |
    11th
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |
    12th
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |
    13th
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |
    14th
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |
    15th
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |
    16th
    |
    Meath
    |
    |
    17th
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |
    18th
    |
    Down
    |
    |
    19th
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |
    20th
    |
    Derry
    |
    |
    21th
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |
    22th
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |
    23th
    |
    London
    |
    |
    24th
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |
    25th
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |
    26th
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |
    27th
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |
    28th
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    29th
    |
    Longford
    |
    |
    30th
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |
    31th
    |
    Louth
    |
    |
    32th
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |
    33th
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |
    34th
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |
    35th
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |

Limerick extended their lead at the top of the rankings winning the Division 1 Final, putting them over 5 points clear of Tipperary in 2nd and Galway in 3rd.

In the tables below, the "Change" and "+/-" columns are the changes since the start of that particular competition. For example, the "-1" in the Change column for Clare in the "All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship" table means that from the end of the Munster GAA Hurling Senior Championship to when they were knocked out of the All-Ireland series, they dropped 1 place in the rankings in those 10 teams.

Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    +2
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |+2.77
    2nd
    |
    |
    Galway
    |
    3rd
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    4th
    |
    -
    |
    Dublin
    |
    5th
    |
    -
    |
    Laois
    |

In Leinster, Kilkenny reigned supreme with their impressive run to the Bob O'Keeffe Cup. Brian Cody's Cats overtook both Wexford and Galway to become the top ranked team in the eastern province.

Munster GAA Hurling Senior Championship
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+1.36
    2nd
    |
    -
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Clare
    |
    4th
    |
    -
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+0.83
    5th
    |
    -
    |
    Cork
    |

Limerick's run to the Munster cup was a continuation of their great form in the League. Waterford was the only other team in the province to improve their ranking with their win over Cork in the semi-final.

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |+0.69
    2nd
    |
    +5
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |+4.49
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Galway
    |
    |+0.99
    4th
    |
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    5th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    8th
    |
    -
    |
    Cork
    |
    |+0.37
    9th
    |
    -
    |
    Dublin
    |
    10th
    |
    -
    |
    Laois
    |

The charge for the Liam McCarthy cup then saw some great improvements for Waterford, building on their Munster final appearance and jumping 5 places up to 2nd in the overall rankings, where they will now take on the no. 1 ranked team Limerick in the All-Ireland final in a repeat of the Munster final just three weeks ago. The Treatymen are 6 points ahead in the rankings, but Waterford have been the underdogs in their last two games and came away with the win so there is no guarantee the Liam McCarthy will return to Limerick.

Joe McDonagh Cup
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    +2
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |+2.05
    2nd
    |
    +2
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |+2.79
    3rd
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    4th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    5th
    |
    -
    |
    Meath
    |

It'll be the top two ranked teams in the Joe McDonagh who will take to the field in Croke Park next weekend for the final. Antrim undefeated and Kerry only losing to the Glensmen in the group stage take up the top two spots, with Carlow and Westmeath dropping down. Meath remained the lowest ranked team with 4 losses out of 4 in the campaign.

Christy Ring Cup
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    Offaly
    |
    2nd
    |
    +2
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |+3.18
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Down
    |
    |+0.81
    4th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    5th
    |
    -
    |
    Derry
    |
    6th
    |
    -
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    7th
    |
    -
    |
    London*
    |
    |
    8th
    |
    -
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |

*Due to circumstances caused by COVID-19, London did not compete in the 2020 Christy Ring Cup

The Christy Ring saw two of the first round games postponed due to COVID-19 cases, but the top-ranked team at the start of the cup in Offaly would have been expected to resume service as normal when they returned in round 2B. While they did, it was Down who stopped them in the semi-final with a win on penalties. The Mournemen couldn't hold off Kildare in the final but neither could knock Offaly off the top spot in the rankings.

Nicky Rackard Cup
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    Mayo
    |
    2nd
    |
    -
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |+2.63
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Armagh
    |
    4th
    |
    +1
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |+0.13
    5th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire*
    |
    |
    6th
    |
    +1
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Longford
    |
    8th
    |
    -
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |+2

*Due to circumstances caused by COVID-19, Warwickshire did not compete in the 2020 Nicky Rackard Cup

Mayo may have retained their place in the top of the Nicky Rackard rankings, but it will be Donegal who are promoted to the Christy Ring Cup for 2021.

Lory Meagher Cup
    Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|"+/-"
    1st
    |
    -
    |
    Louth
    |
    2nd
    |
    -
    |
    Lancashire*
    |
    |
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |+0.34
    4th
    |
    -
    |
    Cavan
    |

*Due to circumstances caused by COVID-19, Lancashire did not compete in the 2020 Lory Meagher Cup

Louth made up for their first round loss to Fermanagh by beating the Ernesiders by an impressive 11 points in Croke Park in the final of the Lory Meagher. A winless run for Cavan sees them remain bottom of the rankings.

Position|Change|
    Team
    |Points|+/-
    1st
    |
    +1
    |
    Limerick
    |
    |
    +5.61
    |
    2nd
    |
    +7
    |
    Waterford
    |
    |
    +6.96
    |
    3rd
    |
    -
    |
    Galway
    |
    |
    +1.06
    |
    4th
    |
    +1
    |
    Kilkenny
    |
    |
    +0.73
    |
    5th
    |
    |
    Tipperary
    |
    |
    |
    6th
    |
    |
    Clare
    |
    |
    |
    7th
    |
    |
    Wexford
    |
    |
    |
    8th
    |
    |
    Cork
    |
    |
    |
    9th
    |
    |
    Dublin
    |
    |
    |
    10th
    |
    -
    |
    Laois
    |
    |
    |
    11th
    |
    +3
    |
    Antrim
    |
    |
    +5.83
    |
    12th
    |
    |
    Westmeath
    |
    |
    |
    13th
    |
    +1
    |
    Kerry
    |
    |
    +1.3
    |
    14th
    |
    |
    Carlow
    |
    |
    |
    15th
    |
    -
    |
    Offaly
    |
    |
    |
    16th
    |
    -
    |
    Meath
    |
    |
    |
    17th
    |
    |
    Kildare
    |
    |
    +2.85
    |
    18th
    |
    +3
    |
    Down
    |
    |
    +4.28
    |
    19th
    |
    |
    Wicklow
    |
    |
    |
    20th
    |
    |
    Derry
    |
    |
    +0.12
    |
    21th
    |
    +1
    |
    Mayo
    |
    |
    |
    22th
    |
    |
    Roscommon
    |
    |
    |
    23th
    |
    +1
    |
    Donegal
    |
    |
    +3.71
    |
    24th
    |
    |
    London
    |
    |
    |
    25th
    |
    -
    |
    Armagh
    |
    |
    |
    26th
    |
    +2
    |
    Tyrone
    |
    |
    +1.77
    |
    27th
    |
    |
    Warwickshire
    |
    |
    |
    28th
    |
    |
    Sligo
    |
    |
    |
    29th
    |
    |
    Monaghan
    |
    |
    |
    30th
    |
    +1
    |
    Longford
    |
    |
    |
    31th
    |
    |
    Louth
    |
    |
    |
    32th
    |
    +1
    |
    Leitrim
    |
    |
    +2.89
    |
    33th
    |
    +1
    |
    Lancashire
    |
    |
    |
    34th
    |
    -
    |
    Fermanagh
    |
    |
    |
    35th
    |
    -
    |
    Cavan
    |
    |
    +0.91
    |

Well there we have it. As the curtain draws closed on one of the most unique All-Ireland finals ever held in Croke Park, Limerick end the year as Liam McCarthy champions and as #1 in the rankings. Huge credit to Waterford who end the year as the most improved team both in terms of positions gained and points gained, up seven places from 9th to 2nd since the start of the year.

Great credit must also go to Joe McDonagh winners Antrim, Nicky Rackard winners Donegal and Christy Ring runners-up Down for all making great improvements this year.

So for 2020, that is it! It's a short wait until the start of the 2021 League but until then, stay safe, have a good Christmas, and Comhghairdeachas to Limerick on bringing Liam McCarthy glory back to the Treaty city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement