Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

prinzeugen wrote: »
    How did it go?

It went OK, some of the questions I answered well and some I could have done better. The 16pf interview I found very thorough, a lot of digging deep to get what they want. The interview itself was a bit more chilled.

Sorry to hear you are out of the running.

How many do you reckon they interviewed? I won't be holding my breath, I'd imagine they interviewed a lot and most of those probably have better experience than me - most of my work experience has been office based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    It went OK, some of the questions I answered well and some I could have done better. The 16pf interview I found very thorough, a lot of digging deep to get what they want. The interview itself was a bit more chilled.

Sorry to hear you are out of the running.

How many do you reckon they interviewed? I won't be holding my breath, I'd imagine they interviewed a lot and most of those probably have better experience than me - most of my work experience has been office based.

1% was mentioned.. We are/were in the 1%..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭91wx763

Happened to myself too i could gave sworn it cut off two minuites early as i had two questions to go and i got onto the last page with 3 or so minuites left.

That is precisely what yer man said because he was watching the clock. I wonder (and hope for him) is it intentional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

1% was mentioned.. We are/were in the 1%..

Wow, didn't think it was that low, did they tell you that in the interview? I suppose out of 26000 applicants, they would still need to interview circa 260 people. Still a lot of interviews/medicals to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Justme84

Did anyone hear from the opc assessment centre after doing their CSS and CSVT for CSO jobs recently

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Train Driver assessments are postponed due to Covid-19 restrictions

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Wow, didn't think it was that low, did they tell you that in the interview? I suppose out of 26000 applicants, they would still need to interview circa 260 people. Still a lot of interviews/medicals to get through

It was mentioned to me and someone else that posted here. I did not get a place. But I got an interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ormonde13

Just wondering, I’ve read a few people here have recently received news of being unsuccessful. Has anyone in the last few weeks got a job offer??

Justme84 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear from the opc assessment centre after doing their CSS and CSVT for CSO jobs recently

Nothing but it could be a few weeks.. Be patient. I am waiting also.

No news is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Corona had any implications for new job starts or training ?

Furryglove wrote: »
    Corona had any implications for new job starts or training ?

I can't answer for new starts or training but the next round of assessments in the Training Centre are postponed until further notice.

Hoping the financial fallout of Covid-19 doesn't lead Irish Rail to rethink recruitment numbers

I can't answer for new starts or training but the next round of assessments in the Training Centre are postponed until further notice.

Hoping the financial fallout of Covid-19 doesn't lead Irish Rail to rethink recruitment numbers

Yes, Inchicore closed it seems

Originally Posted by Justme84
    Nothing but it could be a few weeks.. Be patient. I am waiting also.

No news is good news.

That chap I know in Midleton got an email yesterday, he was above average in one test and average in the other and has another behavioural test online to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Batman51

Anyone waiting on a regional panel heard anything since?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Batman51 wrote: »
    Anyone waiting on a regional panel heard anything since?

No nothing. Can't imagine there would be anything for a while now sadly.

• Advertisement

Hoping Irish Rail are still pressing ahead with all of the planned recruitment. They must be down a few bob due to the current inactivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

Hard to know what will happen, was due to take part in stage 1 in Inchicore back on March 23rd, understandably haven’t heard anything since it was postponed.

Hard to know what will happen, was due to take part in stage 1 in Inchicore back on March 23rd, understandably haven’t heard anything since it was postponed.

Same as that. Not that i've stopped thinking about it though!

Same as that. Not that i've stopped thinking about it though!

Same, but if anything it would raise a few concerns. If successful, I’d be leaving a job I’m safe in, to a new job where I may not be permanent and with the economy on its knees. Will worry about it when the time comes

Same, but if anything it would raise a few concerns. If successful, I’d be leaving a job I’m safe in, to a new job where I may not be permanent and with the economy on its knees. Will worry about it when the time comes

If successful, why would you not be permanent?

• Advertisement

If successful, why would you not be permanent?

Well with most jobs there is a probation period, not sure if its the same with Iarnrod Eireann

Well with most jobs there is a probation period, not sure if its the same with Iarnrod Eireann

I wouldn't think there's a probationary period as such. I'd imagine once you're offered the position, you go into training, which lasts at least 12 months, and once you pass that you're good.
    I'm only guessing though.

But yes, there is a risk in changing any job. I would be leaving a fairly safe job too, and i might struggle to get through the training, or i might hate the actual job itself.

Also, if the economy is in for a massive shock (which looks likely), conditions for train drivers won't be improving any time soon.

I'm assuming the recruitment numbers will stay the same though, as the company surely have a long-term view in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I can't see the full roll out of CSOs happening as a result of this.
    Also, if the economy is in for a massive shock (which looks likely), conditions for train drivers won't be improving any time soon.

They are not exactly the worst conditions now.
    I wouldn't think there's a probationary period as such. I'd imagine once you're offered the position, you go into training, which lasts at least 12 months, and once you pass that you're good.
    I'm only guessing though.

No idea but would say once you are cleared on your own you will be closely monitored and IE will be able to get rid easily or demote you to a non safety critical role if you screw up.

I agree its a major commitment with no guarantees.
    I'm assuming the recruitment numbers will stay the same though, as the company surely have a long-term view in mind.

Would think so particularly for Dublin.

annor99 wrote: »
    No nothing. Can't imagine there would be anything for a while now sadly.

Not a word either. Thinking of sending a mail just to check in. Last November they hinted that it could be October this year but no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annor99

Batman51 wrote: »
    Not a word either. Thinking of sending a mail just to check in. Last November they hinted that it could be October this year but no guarantees.

They had hinted March to lad I know on panel. An email can't hurt sure. Where was your depot?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I can't see the full roll out of CSOs happening as a result of this.

The need for them will not go away because of C-17. A consistent level of onboard customer service to achieve the service quality lacking in IÉ is urgently required.

The remit will surely include sorting seat reservation issues, providing a presence to deter anti social behaviour issues and the provision of the equal service level deserved by disabled passengers. All are everyday repetitive issues which can't be left go unanswered particularly when we have driver only trains and stations that aren't manned for all trains.

annor99 wrote: »
    They had hinted March to lad I know on panel. An email can't hurt sure. Where was your depot?

I was set for Waterford. I did hear March also, but it was changed to October on a following phone call. It was all very unclear. Sent off an email anyway. I'll let ya know what I hear anyway

91wx763 wrote: »
    The need for them will not go away because of C-17. A consistent level of onboard customer service to achieve the service quality lacking in IÉ is urgently required.

The remit will surely include sorting seat reservation issues, providing a presence to deter anti social behaviour issues and the provision of the equal service level deserved by disabled passengers. All are everyday repetitive issues which can't be left go unanswered particularly when we have driver only trains and stations that aren't manned for all trains.

There was a big campaign for revenue protection staff before Christmas and I think most positions have been filled, I think they will be doing a lot of what you mention above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

91wx763 wrote: »

They're not going to want dragging dozens of people from god knows where into an interview room with a panel.
    Even if they did that remotely, how is the training period supposed to work now? The trains they are supposed to work on are shuffling around empty or near empty anyhow.

Do any of the depots have even a small gym or exercise room? Or do Irish Rail workers get any discounted gym membership anywhere?

• Advertisement

Do any of the depots have even a small gym or exercise room? Or do Irish Rail workers get any discounted gym membership anywhere?

It will be a good while before gyms are open

Furryglove wrote: »
    It will be a good while before gyms are open

Agreed, but they will open again some day. I was asking if Irish Rail employees have access to a gym, specifically wondering about train drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Agreed, but they will open again some day. I was asking if Irish Rail employees have access to a gym, specifically wondering about train drivers.

No they don’t have access to a company gym and never will.

Ok, thanks. That's a pity. Would be a nice facility to have at the depot. Especially when the company place such emphasis on drivers staying fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just like the majority of workers in the country don't have a dedicated gym either.

Ok, thanks. That's a pity. Would be a nice facility to have at the depot. Especially when the company place such emphasis on drivers staying fit.

Company don’t emphasise keeping fit at all. The Railway Safety Act puts an emphasis on meeting certain physical requirements. Irish Rail don’t care how you meet them. If you can’t for whatever reason, bye bye train driving and then it’s next man up please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Westwood gyms were offering a discount some time ago. It was still expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Company don’t emphasise keeping fit at all. The Railway Safety Act puts an emphasis on meeting certain physical requirements. Irish Rail don’t care how you meet them. If you can’t for whatever reason, bye bye train driving and then it’s next man up please.

They promote keeping fit and eating healthy. There was various flyers and emails about it.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    They promote keeping fit and eating healthy. There was various flyers and emails about it.

Never seen either flyer or emails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Have you a source for this

Have you a source for this

A source for what? The company placing an emphasis on health and fitness?

I was referring to the fact that there's a fairly comprehensive fitness test which needs to be passed before getting the job. I understand there are also random tests throughout the job.

Maybe it's the Regulator or some other body who do the testing and not Irish Rail. Either way, if Health and Fitness is important for the role, it would seem to make sense to have a small fitness room at the main depots. Or at least discount membership at a local gym.

I was only asking a question. No big deal.

Lots of news stories about Covid having severe negative financial impact on rail and bus companies, as social distancing is to continue for the foreseeable future.

Has any of the Train Drivers on here heard anything on the grapevine regarding the planned Train Driver recruitment? Wondering if it's still going ahead. Hoping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whatever about more drivers, I believe the current ones at mentoring stage have been stopped because only one member of staff can be in the cab. This could go on for a long time as wearing of face masks might not cut it with those involved.

My question on this, is there a time limit before for example trainees would have to start there mentoring over again. Is for example a 6 month gap in training acceptable?

I could be wrong but don't all current drivers have to drive there route at least once every 6 months to keep up knowledge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Also has anyone heard anything re the Customer Service Officer position, I’m after giving up hope but just wondering if anyone knows anything

Maybe no news is good news...

Also has anyone heard anything re the Customer Service Officer position, I’m after giving up hope but just wondering if anyone knows anything

Maybe no news is good news...

I’d say ultimately they will be still recruiting for these positions

• Advertisement

I got an email from the OPC crowd telling me that I will hear back from Irish Rail about the Customer Service job at some point and they invited me to be a guinea pig for a test they are developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Knock2

Does anybody kno the approx starting salary for o.c.s role
    Is it in the 33k/35k ?
    Also how many hours a week would the contract be?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

Knock2 wrote: »
    Does anybody kno the approx starting salary for o.c.s role
    Is it in the 33k/35k ?
    Also how many hours a week would the contract be?

I’ve heard it’s a 48 hour week contract but not sure on the pay

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Knock2

I’ve heard it’s a 48 hour week contract but not sure on the pay

If it’s a 48 hour contract u would think the staring salary would b 33k+ min considering its shift work and weekends
    Anybody have an idea how we can find out it was unusual that it wasn’t posted with recruitment ads??

Knock2 wrote: »
    If it’s a 48 hour contract u would think the staring salary would b 33k+ min considering its shift work and weekends
    Anybody have an idea how we can find out it was unusual that it wasn’t posted with recruitment ads??

Send HR a direct message

• Advertisement
Advertisement