Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai should be removed from all 'traffic' work..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

In fairness, there is nothing interesting about those examples.
    The police and clampers may have been busy doing something more important.

Mr Renko is a cyclist, so all cars are the enemy and cars blocking his way are akin to murderers and rapists :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eire392

As a member of AGS myself I will reply at Andrew's pictures above

Car could be on the way to a call all day

If you stopped physically at every illegally parked car you would not attend a single job

And I never stop and get out of the car for a ticket. Take them down in the notebook as I go by and they all get a fine in the post. No need to waste an hour there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness, there is nothing interesting about those examples.
    The police and clampers may have been busy doing something more important.
    What is interesting is the extent to which illegal pavement parking has become endemic in our society, to the extent that few people actually raise an eyebrow at situations like this, except perhaps the people with sight loss who bump into these vehicles, or the people in wheelchairs who either can't can't through or have to manouvre around these vehicles, or the parents with buggies or people with walking frames who are inconvenienced by this.
    foreign wrote: »
    It should also be noted that the Gardaí don't have to stop to issue fcpns for parking. They can just note the registration number and issue later.
    Eire392 wrote: »
    As a member of AGS myself I will reply at Andrew's pictures above

Car could be on the way to a call all day

If you stopped physically at every illegally parked car you would not attend a single job

And I never stop and get out of the car for a ticket. Take them down in the notebook as I go by and they all get a fine in the post. No need to waste an hour there.

But they don't generally get the fines in the post. In 2019 I think, IBikeDublin did an exercise where its 100-ish members identified more vehicles illegally parked on cycle lanes than 14,000 had issued tickets in the preceeding year. Most drivers know that their chances of getting ticketed for illegal parking like this is negligible, so they continue to do it routinely. And all these 'just a few minutes' parking offences add up to result in footpaths and cycle lanes being unfit for their intended purposes.
    Darc19 wrote: »
    Mr Renko is a cyclist, so all cars are the enemy and cars blocking his way are akin to murderers and rapists :D:D
    In the case, I'd be much happier if the cars were on the road (blocking my way) rather than on the footpath, endangering and inconveniencing people with sight loss and others. But it would still be illegal.
    source wrote: »
    Once again, AGS tend to leave minor parking infringements like this to the local parking enforcement authority, that's their sole job. AGS deal with far more than parking issues and it's likely this car was in its way to another job.
    I get the point that the car was probably on their way to another job. But there is a bigger underlying issue here. Illegal parking is endemic, and is generally ignored by AGS, if not indeed facilitated and enabled by them. It's not unknown for AGS to join in the fun themselves.
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1392782118661541890
    I've asked Gardai on foot to deal with particular vehicles illegally parked, and got responses like 'ah sure where else can they park' as if there is some intrinsic human right to drop your vehicle anywhere you choose, regardless of the impact on others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Can we please stop quoting pictures? It's extra work for the hamsters that power the site. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thecityguy1

The nephew of no less than 3 current or retired gardai who grew up over the road from me likes to brag about how he can still get off any traffic offense despite the changes made since the penalty points scandal. The way it works now is first you need to get the gardas details from him especially what station hes from the station is about the most important thing. Next he contacts his uncle straight away doing it really fast is important and gives him the info. Next the uncle contacts the senior garda at the station and asks him to cancel the offense before its entered into the computer system once its in the system they cant do anything about it so time is really important. So for anyone wondering how gardas relatives and friends still get off in 2022 this is how

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,853 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You see how well employing independent contractors goes in other aspects of frontline ‘policing’ and security … such an example would be security at nightclubs and pubs… where it’s a lottery…with little to no accountability and little to zero auditing of performance and behaviour…there is even criminality involved despite licensing and ‘regulation’…

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

I wouldn't think there is many "senior Officers" around these days prepared to take chances like this, however there is a very simple solution to the hypothetical scenario you put forward, electronic tablets like they use on ambulances, submit all the details on the side of the road, you can even attach photos of reg plates or tax/insurance certs or even add maybe a video footage of the actual offence, once its submitted at the end of the traffic stop, its secured within the tablet, and therefore seamless in relation to being scrutinized, the next step is either upload remotely immediately after the stop or upload it via a docking station back at your local station where you work from. the process there fore becomes secure!

Advertisement