Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weds 30th early hours + morning: Munster/south Leinster snow and ice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Very showery airmass too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Disappointing how even that relatively minor snow event slipped through our fingers. How fickle snow is, number one on the fickle list followed by thunderstorms. Looks like most will have to wait for at least 10 or 14 days for the next shot. It'll stay cold though so maybe that will help with sea and ground temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

WEATHER WARNINGS
    Risk of snow accumulations to lower levels.
    Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Risk of snow accumulations to lower levels.

Valid: 00:00 Wednesday 30/12/2020 to 12:00 Wednesday 30/12/2020

Issued: 11:00 Tuesday 29/12/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

More rain so...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Hooter23 wrote: »
    More rain so...

Yes, rain is coming with a sleet mix but some areas look like getting some snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes, rain is coming with a sleet mix but some areas look like getting some snow.

Thought it would be too mild here in Cork but high ground probably get some.

Disappointing how even that relatively minor snow event slipped through our fingers. How fickle snow is, number one on the fickle list followed by thunderstorms. Looks like most will have to wait for at least 10 or 14 days for the next shot. It'll stay cold though so maybe that will help with sea and ground temps.

I find that showery setups provide a lot more snow and limited marginality. I very rarely get snow out of frontal systems.

“ Northerly winds will bring further showers of rain, sleet and snow across the north of Northern Ireland as well as northern and western Scotland. Snow accumulations will be generally confined to ground above 100m away from coasts, but some temporary slushy deposits are possible to low levels at times in any heavier showers. 1-3cm is likely to accumulate above 100m, and as much as 5-10cm above 250m, this mostly across high ground of Scotland. Ice will form readily as temperatures quickly fall away rapidly through both Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.”

Met Office warning mentions my area though I feel they could be more optimistic. If it’s frequent it could lie at sea level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe we need to change the title. I mistook Connaught for Munster. Sorry for the offence Connaught :pac:

SHOCK HORROR! :eek:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The European 06Z Hi Res models not really making much of this at all, little precipitation and keeping it much further S.

The WRF would tally most with the Met Eireann forecast. Very cold day and night to follow with icy road and footpath conditions being a possible issue.

anim_gpp7.gif

anim_vmx2.gif

anim_sor4.gif

anim_wzg7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The European 06Z Hi Res models not really making much of this at all, little precipitation and keeping it much further S.

The WRF would tally most with the Met Eireann forecast. Very cold day and night to follow with icy road and footpath conditions being a possible issue.

anim_gpp7.gif

anim_vmx2.gif

anim_sor4.gif

anim_wzg7.gif

I’m not very good at reading charts but is east Galway looking good here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Rikand wrote: »
    Come on Athlone!
    I’m down that way tomorrow hopefully I’ll see some flakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z rolling out and keeping to the same track and amounts as the 0Z which are far less than the WRF and more S.

I wonder could freezing rain be an issue. Again biggest issue I think would be icy roads and surfaces later Weds.

1uDX6ml.gif

5u1U1Nf.gif

50a90Ap.gif

N0aY1CE.png

6GMageI.png

davidsr20 wrote: »
    I’m not very good at reading charts but is east Galway looking good here

Looks like could get mostly rain and perhaps a sleety mix but not much snow I reckon ( best chance of lower level snow further E Galway if any ) but again looks to freeze early in the evening. Such a marginal event will need to see tonight's charts to see if any shift in track.

qi9yZ15.png

• Advertisement

Is that -8c 850hPa over me tonight? That guarantees snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fax for 06Z tomorrow morning. Normally, the best snow is to be found at around 10 o'clock of the direction of travel, so in this case to the low's north or northeast, around the outer edge of the warm sector.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020122906_024.png

The Icon shows best chance of snow inland southeast at around dawn tomorrow morning. The sounding for around Thomastown shows good precipitation rates (deep saturated layer up to around 700 hPa), with a shallow unsaturated surface layer capable of cooling evaporatively. However it is a very localised set of conditions and in reality for many it may turn out to be just the wrong side of marginal again. Depending on overnight cooling, freezing rain could indeed be possible.

The Knockmealdowns and Comeraghs could be the place to be for snow, though.

537481.png

537482.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Is that -8c 850hPa over me tonight? That guarantees snow

I hope so! Benevenagh always nearly guaranteed snow, I'll be up tomorrow morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think this will be a wet mess. It's far too windy. It's far too mild. So probably 2 or 3c with wet snow falling where it does. The world is too warm now. Theres no real cold anywhere.

Lol don’t be daft. It can snow hard when it wants to.

• Advertisement

I hope so! Benevenagh always nearly guaranteed snow, I'll be up tomorrow morning :D

Yes. Though showers need to come from the north not the west, as they can fizzle out over Donegal.

Fax for 06Z tomorrow morning. Normally, the best snow is to be found at around 10 o'clock of the direction of travel, so in this case to the low's north or northeast, around the outer edge of the warm sector.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020122906_024.png

The Icon shows best chance of snow inland southeast at around dawn tomorrow morning. The sounding for around Thomastown shows good precipitation rates (deep saturated layer up to around 700 hPa), with a shallow unsaturated surface layer capable of cooling evaporatively. However it is a very localised set of conditions and in reality for many it may turn out to be just the wrong side of marginal again. Depending on overnight cooling, freezing rain could indeed be possible.

The Knockmealdowns and Comeraghs could be the place to be for snow, though.

537481.png

537482.png

Could you produce two of those soundings for me? Please? One for 55N, 7W at midnight tonight and 12pm tomorrow

pauldry wrote: »
    I think this will be a wet mess. It's far too windy. It's far too mild. So probably 2 or 3c with wet snow falling where it does. The world is too warm now. Theres no real cold anywhere.

Snowing away in England readily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Where? Certainly been no snow so far this winter in the south or south east of England. Scotland highlands have been the only place to get any real snow yet

quote="munsterlegend;115734389"]Snowing away in England readily enough.[/quote]

Where? Certainly been no snow so far this winter in the south or south east of England. Scotland highlands have been the only place to get any real snow yet

quote="munsterlegend;115734389"]Snowing away in England readily enough.
    [/quote]

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I thought you meant proper sticking snow. Sure a lot of counties here have had snow showers. Here is hoping plenty on the way over coming weeks

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.[/quote]

The snow started to stick here on the 3rd

I thought you meant proper sticking snow. Sure a lot of counties here have had snow showers. Here is hoping plenty on the way over coming weeks

It’s snowing in parts of England such as Gloucestershire Telford Sheffield. Just look at twitter or sky news. It’s not huge amounts but it can snow even if not frigid cold which was the point.
    [/quote]

Looks proper sticking snow on twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

GFS still showing some snow potential for some at least (Carlow looks good) with more in the way of precipitation (snow) during the day. Freezing rain could be an issue in other places and icy surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Feeling very positive for the Castlecomer plateau area.
    Should be nice scenic views of snow covered hills when it all clears away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yellow warning issued for Cork - surely given these charts that’s a bit premature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yellow warning issued for Cork - surely given these charts that’s a bit premature?

fingers crossed there’s a breach in the snow shield esp the city and surrounding areas - it would be a great end to this crap year ðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

lulublue22 wrote: »
    fingers crossed there’s a breach in the snow shield esp the city and surrounding areas - it would be a great end to this crap year ðŸ™

Looking very optimistic for that to happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Looks proper sticking snow on twitter!

Yep, not piles but the niece and nephew in English midlands had enough to build a small snowman in their garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

irishfeen wrote: »
    Looking very optimistic for that to happen :)

OMG - I’d given up hope and in the long tradition of disappointment after disappointment had this written off as well. Will be stalking this thread like a loon now 😄

Lots of showers forming to the north of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭daheff

Lads...North Kildare gonna get snow? Please say yes???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

daheff wrote: »
    Lads...North Kildare gonna get snow? Please say yes???:D

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Another downgrade from ICON it's moving further south, precipitation light and patchy. High grounds Tipperary, Wexford, Waterford and south Kilkenny might get a dusting that's about it.

• Advertisement

I am no expert but it does not look productive for snow in the Southwest (County Kerry and Cork).

The 850hPa is barely below 0c. Perhaps there could be some back edge snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest output has very little precipitation, something keep an eye is potential for a few showers north of the wave and may give a surprise dusting here or there by morning.

And the 0c Wet Bulb Level is quite high too. You usually use this as a guide for the Evaporative Cooling potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

RobertKK wrote: »
    Feeling very positive for the Castlecomer plateau area.
    Should be nice scenic views of snow covered hills when it all clears away.

Pleasant to look at maybe

Rough to work in

Hopefully not too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭daheff

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    No

dammit.. .buzzkiller :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hate to be the one but meant to go to mitchelstown from cork in the morning will I leave it till Thursday? Last thing I want is to be stuck in snow :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hate to be the one but meant to go to mitchelstown from cork in the morning will I leave it till Thursday? Last thing I want is to be stuck in snow :O

And may I add stuck in mitchelstown of all places ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Favoured locations look like a narrow band of counties roughly Wexford up across to Galway for a dusting or more.

In to now cast with this I reckon.

What happens, happens.

Plenty of more opportunities in the next couple of weeks by the looks of things even if you miss out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Re timing - am I right in saying this snow event will be tomorrow morning (6am to 12 noon)?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Could you produce two of those soundings for me? Please? One for 55N, 7W at midnight tonight and 12pm tomorrow

12Z ICON for 00Z and 12Z tomorrow. Location altitude 129 m amsl, wbt a little too high (1.4 & 1.0, respectively).

537525.png

537526.png

12Z ICON for 00Z and 12Z tomorrow. Location altitude 129 m amsl, wbt a little too high (1.4 & 1.0, respectively).

537525.png

537526.png

Ok thank you. It looks like the conditions are ok tomorrow during the day based on the sounding.

Temps are on their way down now already so I guess it’s a case of wait and see.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement