Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Omackeral wrote: »
    Not always a solid argument. I don't personally know anyone who is in a same-sex marriage. I didn't let that stop me from voting for SSM.

I was a witness at one - apparently that gives me more insight!

I don’t think it does but there you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

km991148 wrote: »
    I asked one person if they had direct experience because I am interested in the direct impact or experience they may have had in order to challenge my own views.

In return I've had several people question my motives, insinuate I am setting up false arguments or straw men (I genuinely didn't understand TRA acronym) and all sorts of other nonsense.

This is a big area. People have talked at length on boards about many of the diverse aspects of it. It would be rather a chore to have to hand feed someone who just says I hardly know about this and if it does not affect you directly what's your beef...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It is a thing. A whole big complicated thing that has been going on for a long time.

Why don't you read up or research the whole area yourself a lot more

I gave my opinion and I am curious about others. If you or others want to be dickish about it, then go ahead..
    but let me say that some people should not have an opinion?
    Your assumption, not actually what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I don't have a problem referring to someone as the sex to which they've transitioned or whatever. It's the people who spout the "there's no biological difference between the sexes" and the "individuals with the cervix" type nonsense that put me off. I wish they'd just feck off.

This is a big area. People have talked at length on boards about many of the diverse aspects of it. It would be rather a chore to have to hand feed someone who just says I hardly know about this and if it does not affect you directly what's your beef...

So you can only join the debate if you have followed every other debate and know all your TLAs inside out.. give me a break ffs

• Advertisement

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I was a witness at one - apparently that gives me more insight!

I don’t think it does but there you go!

These threads would really go a whole lot better without the attitude and the deliberate twisting of words tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Someone in work was talking about a show on C4 naked dating ,
    People choose a date based off looking at the other people who happen to be naked before they meet ,
    Channel 4 so no surprise there ,

Straight girl decided she wanted her first lesbian experience with a trans women who hadn't transitioned ,so she wanted hetro sex with a man with boobs ,
    As this somehow qualified as an lesbian experience,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can you elaborate - I am not sure explicitly what you mean by Self ID and what downsides?

As mentioned upthread, currently there are two male prisoners in possession of GRCs being housed in Limerick’s women prison. One is a sex offender, the other has a history of violence towards women. To you, maybe that’s nothing. To me, it’s egregious. Are we waiting for something bad to happen? And self ID has allowed this situation.

But who cares, right? It doesn’t affect me personally so why should I care. Right?

So you can only join the debate if you have followed every other debate and know all your TLAs inside out.. give me a break ffs

If you are going to play the innocent ingenue, then keep your story straight from the start.

you earlier..

Usual faces with the usual 'outrage'.. You would think there was a band of extremists on the prowl kidnapping children with butterfly nets and forcing hormones and gender change on them before releasing them back into the population they way some of you carry on

As mentioned upthread, currently there are two male prisoners in possession of GRCs being housed in Limerick’s women prison. One is a sex offender, the other has a history of violence towards women. To you, maybe that’s nothing. To me, it’s egregious. Are we waiting for something bad to happen? And self ID has allowed this situation.

But who cares, right? It doesn’t affect me personally so why should I care. Right?

Your narrative (no one said that). Again. This really would be a much healthier conversation without the snark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Gatling wrote: »
    People choose a date based off looking at the other people who happen to be naked before they meet ,

Straight girl decided she wanted her first lesbian experience with a trans women who hadn't transitioned ,so she wanted hetro sex with a man with boobs ,

There was also a trans woman in it one night who had a complete **** fit when she wasn’t chosen to go on the date.

But that’s straight sex! With boobies ... you know what, never mind, my brain will hurt and I already have a headache!!!

If you are going to play the innocent ingenue, then keep your story straight from the start.

you earlier..

Usual faces with the usual 'outrage'.. You would think there was a band of extremists on the prowl kidnapping children with butterfly nets and forcing hormones and gender change on them before releasing them back into the population they way some of you carry on

Fair enough.. I was a bit snarky too.. but the whole asking about experience thing.. I was genuinely curious and did not seek to deny opinion, why would I?! And I really didn't know the TRA acronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

give me a break ffs
    These threads would really go a whole lot better without the attitude..

There's one minute between these posts.

There's one minute between these posts.

lol - figuratively, not literally :)

Fair enough.. I was a bit snarky too.. but the whole asking about experience thing.. I was genuinely curious and did not seek to deny opinion, why would I?! And I really didn't know the TRA acronym.

I don't really care if you did not know TRA acronym. There are lots of things I don't know.
    You did not merely say what is your experience, but rather couched it in terms of if you have no experience then why have a strong opinion. This is completely different than what you are now suggesting you said.
    And...if your first contribution to the thread is ''usual faces, usual outrage'', something your repeated a few times after that, then I suspect this is not your first time encountering the subject on here, which suggests to me you are being disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Your narrative (no one said that). Again. This really would be a much healthier conversation without the snark.

Meh, deflect however you want.

And you entered the thread snarkily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No. You don't have to follow every detail of the debate. That gender theory ideology has influenced the debate is a fairly fundamental point to the whole debate and the history of the debate.

You are asking for peer reviewed articles to prove post modern deconstructionist gender theory ideology is being actively used to overthrow empirical science. ( Cynical Theories by Helen Puckrose)

Nobody is asking you to read all the other threads but you cannot expect people to explain that to you. Which to be honest will take a while and you can't even be arsed googling it.

No. You don't have to follow every detail of the debate. That gender theory ideology has influenced the debate is a fairly fundamental point to the whole debate and the history of the debate.

You are asking for peer reviewed articles to prove post modern deconstructionist gender theory ideology is being actively used to overthrow empirical science. ( Cynical Theories by Helen Puckrose)

Nobody is asking you to read all the other threads but you cannot expect people to explain that to you. Which to be honest will take a while and you can't even be arsed googling it.

Thank you jam mac jam :) *Bows

I don't really care if you did not know TRA acronym. There are lots of things I don't know.
    You did not merely say what is your experience, but rather couched it in terms of if you have no experience then why have a strong opinion. This is completely different than what you are now suggesting you said.
    And...if your first contribution to the thread is ''usual faces, usual outrage'', something your repeated a few times after that, then I suspect this is not your first time encountering the subject on here, which suggests to me you are being disingenuous.

I was annoyed when i wrote the first comment. It set the rest up in those terms, fair enough and deserved some of the nonsense back at me.

Here is the post where I asked:
    Is this something that personally impacts you or someone you know (Genuine question, if you don't want to answer, I understand)?

I am not saying that people shouldn't care about the individuals that have been affected in these cases. But it just seems that people are willing to go deep on all sorts of hypothetical individualised/isolated situations and extrapolate them out as if each of them are happening over and over (i.e. as generalisations).

If someone presents (at any age) as having gender identity issues and are encouraged to make some life long changes (which doesn't happen overnight btw) and then regret or discover the original solution wasn't the correct one, of course its a horribly devastating and tragic situation.
    But really unless anyone has direct experience of this or has seen it close up, then I am sorry, but it just sounds like a bunch of fear mongering generalisations.

I guess I didn't make the distinction strong enough. I was genuinely interested in this persons direct experience and THEN I was saying it sounds like a bunch of people like to jump on a bandwagon as it were.

I am not saying those without direct experience have no right to an opinion, but those with a less informed opinion have less of an impact (in my opinion!).

i.e. - I would sit up and listen more intently to someone who has been through the whole process of (for example) surgery and then the aftermath than someone who is just another person on the internet.

• Advertisement

Meh, deflect however you want.

And you entered the thread snarkily.

I am way more snarkily now :pac:
    meh indeed..

I came in snarky - got hit with more (probably deserved) snark and somewhere in the middle tried to genuinely understand what people are saying.

Can we actually discuss the thread topic now? Or do you want another round or two of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I’ve gotten in trouble for saying this before (on a different forum) but what happens if someone “feels” like they’re Asian or Black or White rather than their birth ethnicity. What if they wanted to identify as such. Would that be considered

a) whacky b) legitimate c) I’m not actually sure

Why/why not?

People who have no connection with a race or ethnic group but claim to be part of that group are extreeeeeeemely rare as far as I know. Other than Rachel dolzeal (I think that's her name) and one other recent case the details of which I can't recall I've never heard of it or encountered it.

It's also not clear what Rachel dolzeal actually believed. "identify" can be used in so many ways. I can say I identify as anything I want. It doesn't mean it has anything in common with trans issues.

If a significant number of people with no familial link to black people claimed they were black, I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about why this is. However, there isn't. There's a tiny number of people who.may or may not have believed they are a different race.

Even a person with family links to a race can have issues declaring they are part of that race. Is a very light skinned black person black if they have 2 black parents, or one white parent and one black parent. Or if they had vitiligo over a large proportion of their body etc.

I personally wouldn't presume to tell people what race they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Sex is determined scientifically by chromosomes.

However, I believe there are absolutely genuine cases where a person believes they are born into the wrong body and it causes them tremendous heartache and difficulty, whether it's intersex, hormonal whatever and that they have the right as a fully grown informed adult to address this in whatever way they want, dressing as the preferred sex, gender reassignment surgery etc. I wouldn't treat anyone any differently as a result either.

I've read a lot on this as I don't fully understand it and the piece that concerns me is the treatment of children. Reports 're The Tavistock Clinic, Gender Dysphoria and Detransitioning are concerning.
    There was even research done on a situation in the UK where 7 girls all wanted to transition and 5 have changed their mind since covid given the reduced interaction with their peers.

I don't think anyone under 18 should be allowed receive hormone treatment. If they still want to transition as a fully informed adult, then I have no issue.

The teenager years and puberty years cause huge angst & I think that's why there are so many incorrectly diagnosed. I developed early as a child and hated my breasts & the attention that came with them. I bound them, hid them everything...if someone asked me as a 11/12, i'm fairly sure gender reasignment would have appealed to me, when all I needed was to mature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It never ceases to amaze me how it is persons who are not transgendered that seem to have the most objection to it?

If you don't have the mental tenacity, or capacity, to comprehend what transsexuals are going through, I fail to see why you are entitled to an opinion on the matter?

By criticizing their existence and demanding that they adhere to their birth identity, or thus facilitate other biological boundaries, you are not fully understanding how a transsexual feels. In brief you couldn't unless you are a transsexual?

I don't understand people who feel it is their right to impose their will or attitude on anyone else's? If you do not understand someone else, you certainly have no right to pass comment on their existence? This world is to be shared, the last time I looked around for a common consensus anyways.

I think people should try to be more kind to others, rather than judging them and trying to itemize them. People deserve more respect, that includes transgenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There are two genders.

Man.
    Woman.

And there are some people with a mental disorder who believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Usual faces with the usual 'outrage'..

You would think there was a band of extremists on the prowl kidnapping children with butterfly nets and forcing hormones and gender change on them before releasing them back into the population they way some of you carry on..

This is actually not that far off what TERFs believe unfortunately. Apart from the butterfly nets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

A tragic case, no doubt.

Try that again in simple terms, because really it doesn't sound like a real thing at all.
    I'd appreciate some some empirical evidence or papers to back this up.
    However, this frame of thought falsely makes us believe that science is an objective enterprise and transcends culture. For many scientists, we are convinced that objectivity prevents an oppressive culture because discoveries are independent of identity. Consequently, we unknowingly spread whiteness ideology.

This is certainly not true of the hard sciences, and rarely true for the social sciences. Yet no distinction is made throughout the paper and in fact only refers to the former.
    However, the issue is not that scientists do not believe that science has a multicultural origin, but rather the way that we conceptualize and think about science makes people believe that Western science is the only science that “works”, which facilitates master scripting and erasure of stories and knowledge that are not considered “standard” knowledge (Swartz 1992).

There is no such thing as 'Western science' to begin with, there is just science... the bolded part seems to be suggesting we should accept pseudo-science as fact as long as it isn't Western pseudo-science.

I am not sure if you will have access to the paper but I suggest you read it to get a nice introduction into what the OP was talking about, the paper is a bunch of racist rubbish:
    Since whiteness is characterized as a hegemonic racial dominance that has become so natural it is almost invisible

According to Matias (2016a, b), whiteness is the problem because it is almost seemingly invisible to detect because of its normativity (Rothenberg 2008), and the issues of racism that lead to racial achievement gaps would not be had if whiteness did not exist. Plainly, race is only an issue because whiteness exists.
    Whiteness embraces White ideology, and because Whites are at the apex of the racial hierarchy, whiteness becomes normalized and is invisible to those who benefit the most from it (Matias, Viesca, Garrison-Wade, Tandon, and Galindo 2014). This is particularly troubling because the normality of whiteness means that Whites do not believe that they are actively investing in White supremacy or racism, which keeps oppression intact.
    it is paramount that we think about acts of whiteness and how it can be used to undermine our students of Color. If we want to commit to racial justice within science education, we must have science educators who are not complicit in whiteness.
    For example, Matias and Michalinos Zembylas (2014) studied White teacher candidates and noted that they hid emotions of disgust and lacked authentic care for their students of Color due to their inability to unpack their own whiteness.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11422-017-9854-9

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh look here we go again

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how it is persons who are not transgendered that seem to have the most objection to it?

If you don't have the mental tenacity, or capacity, to comprehend what transsexuals are going through, I fail to see why you are entitled to an opinion on the matter?

By criticizing their existence and demanding that they adhere to their birth identity, or thus facilitate other biological boundaries, you are not fully understanding how a transsexual feels. In brief you couldn't unless you are a transsexual?

I don't understand people who feel it is their right to impose their will or attitude on anyone else's? If you do not understand someone else, you certainly have no right to pass comment on their existence? This world is to be shared, the last time I looked around for a common consensus anyways.

I think people should try to be more kind to others, rather than judging them and trying to itemize them. People deserve more respect, that includes transgenders.

There are plenty of transgendered people who give their opinion on this matter. You can follow them and listen to what they have to say. I have for years.

Examples
    https://twitter.com/DebbieHayton
    https://twitter.com/ScottNewgent
    https://twitter.com/FionneOrlander
    https://twitter.com/BuckAngel
    https://twitter.com/Rose_Of_Dawn

You can read about the experiences of people who have experienced transition and then detransitioned here - https://www.reddit.com/r/detrans/

• Advertisement

Oh look here we go again

Pointless trying to do anything tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement