Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

39 people found dead in trailer in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Roundabout way and 4 passes through customs/random checks sounds incredibly risky but yes, that is one way.

Wouldn't the only customs check be where the truck crossed the EU border. After that all the driver would have to do is show his passport ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭derrymcorry

Its a mistake, I doubt the UK police are trying to claim Monaghan. Don't be so stupid.

It's a pretty big (and serious) mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Graces7 wrote: »
    The sheer scale of the traffic going through makes a check on every vehicle not feasible
    Agree, while the media headlined the 80 or so folks (mainly from Iran) making their way across the channel in kayaks, dingys and so on, this is a drop in the ocean, compared to haulage which likely continues largely unnoticed (except for incidents such as today).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

knipex wrote: »
    Wouldn't the only customs check be where the truck crossed the EU border. After that all the driver would have to do is show his passport ??

Could have been checked for people smuggling, drugs, contraband etc at any crossing.

Drug smugglers must be getting lots through if 39 people on a truck were undetected, would mean no x-ray or check inside at all at any stage.

There are two serious aspects of this case:

1. The fact that 39 people are dead in the back of a lorry.

2. The fact that Essex Police has said that the driver was from Northern Ireland when in fact he was from County Monaghan. This is a British police force suggesting a territorial claim over a part of another country and it is a monumental disgrace.

Sweet Jeebus. cop on just a little bit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

RTE are reporting that a man from Northern Ireland has been arrested.

Get over it.
    The bodies of 39 people have been found in a container at an industrial park in the UK and a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Link

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Could have been checked for people smuggling, drugs, contraband etc at any crossing.

Drug smugglers must be getting lots through if 39 people on a truck were undetected, would mean no x-ray or check inside at all at any stage.

X ray LOL

Sweet Jeebus. cop on just a little bit..

Good pun.

I'm just making the point that it is quite a mistake.

If Drew Harris or Charlie Flanagan said that Essex was part of France what would be said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have you considered the merits of a long walk on a short pier.

This forum is a total cesspit of cranks.

Good pun.

I'm just making the point that it is quite a mistake.

If Drew Harris or Charlie Flanagan said that Essex was part of France what would be said?

39 people died and your more worried about a perceived insult from someone not having an encyclopedic knowledge of Irish Geography and county layout..

get a grip.
    Priti Patel also said that he was from Northern Ireland.

COUNTY MONAGHAN IS IN THE REPUBLIC YOU STUPID WOMAN!

Rant over.

Grow up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This proves Europe needs secure border checks in every country ,
    It's tragedy the could have been prevented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

39 people died and your more worried about a perceived insult from someone not having an encyclopedic knowledge of Irish Geography and county layout..

get a grip.

Probably best not to feed it at this stage. 39 people lost their lives and someone decides it's a good place to troll .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ignore button is your friend. Just saying don't feed em.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

only two mobile x ray machines in this country for all the ports

BBC Newsline are now saying he's from Northern Ireland!! Paul Reynolds said on RTÉ that he has been informed he was from County Monaghan. I'll just state this for the British media at large:

THE DRIVER OF THE LORRY IS FROM COUNTY MONAGHAN!! COUNTY MONAGHAN IS PART OF ROI AND WILL SOON BE PART OF A FULL UNITED IRELAND!

That is all I'll say on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is not a case of someone trying this for the first time and getting caught. Usually it's the case they are caught after 100- 500 loads of people have been moved.
    Something went wrong this time,

Who owns the truck, is it an Irish truck, what is reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The fact they said he was from Northern Ireland when he was in fact from County Monaghan. This is an illegal territorial claim as they made out that County Monaghan was in NI.

Isn't it bad enough they have the Six Counties?

Can't quite make out if you are trolling this thread or being serious... I mean, this is 2019, every one of your posts is deflecting from the poor people who died in the back of that lorry and all you can do is keep going on about territorial claims and referring to people as "brits". Would you cop on, and show a bit more maturity.

RIP to the people who lost their lives in a horrendous way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If I was a truck driver anywhere in Europe I’d be opening every trailer to see what’s inside before towing it anywhere.

Why are these migrants so focused on getting to the UK? It’s not the most generous welfare state in Europe. Ireland, Germany or the Netherlands would all be smarter options if they’re looking to freeload but you get fcuk all as an illegal anyway. I’d wager most of them were young men looking for work.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Can't quite make out if you are trolling this thread or being serious... I mean, this is 2019, every one of your posts is deflecting from the poor people who died in the back of that lorry and all you can do is keep going on about territorial claims and referring to people as "brits". Would you cop on, and show a bit more maturity.

RIP to the people who lost their lives in a horrendous way.

I'm being serious.

I'm a republican and I thought this point needed to be made so I've made it and I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I have a feeling that truck and trailer travelled only from Ireland to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry and I mean no offence, but I am a bit puzzled as to how people get into the trucks.

I thought they were customs sealed at port of exit, and apparently checked at that point, but maybe that's hit and miss.

Surely on arrival a tampered seal would lead to immediate investigation.

I'm not sure how it all works. Maybe someone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Read somewhere on the UK news it was a container picked up by the driver in Belfast.

It's standard procedure to arrest the driver.

I feel so sorry for all involved in this discovery and Rip to the poor victims.

It looks like a refrigated unit too. All trucks should be xrayed and CM tested through every port

Who owns the truck, is it an Irish truck, what is reg.

It's a Bulgarian-reg Irish-owned Scania.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Priti Patel also said that he was from Northern Ireland.

COUNTY MONAGHAN IS IN THE REPUBLIC YOU STUPID WOMAN!

Rant over.

It's possible he was born in NI but living in Monaghan no?

Either way, not really the most crucial detail

Distinctive truck, must be easy to locate who owns it .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

MadYaker wrote: »
    If I was a truck driver anywhere in Europe I’d be opening every trailer to see what’s inside before towing it anywhere.

You would think that would be something the driver would be charged with doing, and take a pic while they're at it. Although I don't know how easy it is to visually inspect large containers if it was full.
    Why are these migrants so focused on getting to the UK? It’s not the most generous welfare state in Europe. Ireland, Germany or the Netherlands would all be smarter options if they’re looking to freeload but you get fcuk all as an illegal anyway. I’d wager most of them were young men looking for work.

I'd imagine that because the UK is already highly multicultural in many areas they would blend in without being noticed. One reason anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,109 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every news article I have read is still saying he's from NI.

Where did the Monaghan thing come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MadYaker wrote: »

If a truck is found with illegals onboard at a ferry port the driver is fined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's terrible to think that people are so desperate for the chance at a better life. We might over stay our visa in the states or need leave because it's recession time again, but these poor people are at a different level.
    I hope they root out the chain of criminals and don't stop with the driver.

Advertisement