Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bowman Palace plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Yeah it's fairly shoddy of them to not have you sorted at this stage, I think they were advertising built up bikes ready to go in the last few weeks. How they haven't shipped you a new frame yet is very poor customer service.

Time to very firm with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

Any update? Have they been in contact with you at all since the new frame launch? Could be you have been forgotten about, depending on who was meant to be sorting out the replacement frame. Best bet is an email or even though it would be painful and time consuming - the good old phone call. Hope it gets sorted for you ASAP. Have to say, if it isn't resolved to your satisfaction, I won't be buying from them, can't be dealing with bad service, plenty of competition out there. Might be worth posting on some of the English forums - cycling plus and the like, they normally keep an eye on those and respond fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

FB-IMG-1602574726452.jpg

Some more teaser pics coming out. Shouldn't be too long more. I was in contact with them and they reckoned the next couple of weeks so, fingers crossed eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

fat bloke wrote: »
    FB-IMG-1602574726452.jpg

Some more teaser pics coming out. Shouldn't be too long more. I was in contact with them and they reckoned the next couple of weeks so, fingers crossed eh?!

I'm sorely tempted!

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm sorely tempted!

If the timing works out then I could show you my yellow one while you show me your red one! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Shouldn't be too long more. I was in contact with them and they reckoned the next couple of weeks so, fingers crossed eh?!

I have to say I admire your patience. Not sure I'd be quite so zen about it all!

If the timing works out then I could show you my yellow one while you show me your red one! :)

:D

I have to say I admire your patience. Not sure I'd be quite so zen about it all!

Yeah, patience isn't usually a strong point of mine :o. I guess it's been on such a long finger at this stage that it's just a matter of que sera, sera. Also, I don't think I'm being singled out or ignored above all others. All customers are in the same boat, and I'd have sympathy for any business in these times. - I was in Base2race yesterday and they're low on all sorts of stock - difficult to get any bikes, no way to guarantee specific models, they said the likes of Giant just deliver "bikes" ad hoc and they've no real say wrt to specifics. - If that's the craic with a Gargantuan of the industry, just imagine where a small bespoke minnow like Bowman are on the global ladder.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm mad eager to get my hands on it and get it built up cos the plan is to ride the bejaysus out of it as my main training bike. I've had to take my garage queen out of the attic in the interim and she's entirely too fabulous for winter donkey work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Yeah, patience isn't usually a strong point of mine :o. I guess it's been on such a long finger at this stage that it's just a matter of que sera, sera. Also, I don't think I'm being singled out or ignored above all others. All customers are in the same boat, and I'd have sympathy for any business in these times. - I was in Base2race yesterday and they're low on all sorts of stock - difficult to get any bikes, no way to guarantee specific models, they said the likes of Giant just deliver "bikes" ad hoc and they've no real say wrt to specifics. - If that's the craic with a Gargantuan of the industry, just imagine where a small bespoke minnow like Bowman are on the global ladder.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm mad eager to get my hands on it and get it built up cos the plan is to ride the bejaysus out of it as my main training bike. I've had to take my garage queen out of the attic in the interim and she's entirely too fabulous for winter donkey work.

Haha, I hear ya!

From my perspective, I have a huge amount of sympathy for manufacturers, especially small ones like Bowman. However, I do expect clear and pro-active communication from them in particular, as they've more to lose by frustrated customers. It sounds like you've not really been given any clarity on when to expect the bike over the course of several months. Maybe that's not the case and they're far better than I realise, but that is what would p1$$ me off as opposed to not actually having the bike...

<sigh>

Well, another update of another delay. Frames were to be ready in late October, but fresh supplier issues in Asia means the latest shipping date is the first week of December. I don't know if that means shipping from Asia to Bowman UK, or shipping from Bowman to customers.

Whaddya gonna do. I'm sure there's a better than even chance of further delays or snafus particularly in the approach to Christmas, so I won't be pinning my Christmas riding hopes on it anyway, that's for sure.

I've a nice set of fulcrum racing zero nites all ready for it though, and a 34:50 sram red 22 chainset on the way as well. All the baubles, just need a tree to hang em on! :)

• Advertisement

<sigh>

Well, another update of another delay. Frames were to be ready in late October, but fresh supplier issues in Asia means the latest shipping date is the first week of December. I don't know if that means shipping from Asia to Bowman UK, or shipping from Bowman to customers.

Whaddya gonna do. I'm sure there's a better than even chance of further delays or snafus particularly in the approach to Christmas, so I won't be pinning my Christmas riding hopes on it anyway, that's for sure.

I've a nice set of fulcrum racing zero nites all ready for it though, and a 34:50 sram red 22 chainset on the way as well. All the baubles, just need a tree to hang em on! :)

Joe Duffy needs to hear about this! I'd have cancelled the order ages ago

Trekker09 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy needs to hear about this! I'd have cancelled the order ages ago

Yeah. I know. At this stage though it'd be like Biden conceding! I'm in now until the bitter end. I'm sure it'd take as long to action a refund as it would to deliver a frame, and then what kind of a frame of any interest could I get for my 600 odd euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMdWA_H41kA

David Arthur interviews the brain behind Bowman.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any shipping update? I did a CAAD12 build around the time you started this thread and built it very slowly, used it, didn't like it and sold it in the meantime.

Seriously bad form at this stage, would put me off buying from them. I'd hope you'd be getting quite a few freebies thrown in at this stage

Nothing yet :(.

It's not just me though, it's everyone waiting on the Palace R. I could have had one of their other models ages ago. I'm annoyed for sure but it's pointless being annoyed at them. There's a worldwide aluminium shortage and I'm sure it's not easy for a small company like them to elbow their way into the supplies queue in competition with the literal Giant's of the cycling industry.

I'm resigned to it now. I have a sweet Aeroad that I'm enjoying immensely and the Palace will come when it comes.

What was the craic with the CAAD?

Actually there's a small portion of me wonders about the unknown-ness of the Palace. It is a new frame. It hasn't been reviewed. All their previous frames were well received but is it a given that this new design and construction will be good or special? It might be a lemon!
    The CAAD is a well established entity though. Why didn't it suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd have been annoyed previously too but try looking for new bikes online and you'll see that the lead times are all over the place. I'm looking at MTB's at the mo and unless you're lucky with sizing all of the companies I've been looking at aren't shipping 2021 bikes until end-Jan at the very earliest, with others through Feb, March and even into April. I thought I was in luck over the weekend when I found a Large Trek listed as in stock in the UK, two available (!!!), expt. shipping March 2021. Not sure how that particular 1+1 of being in stock and available to purchase ends up being 5 with a 4 month wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I’d be interested to hear what was wrong with Caad 12 also. I have 1 and the bike does everything well. Since I put the c-bear BB on with the newer 105 cranks, it’s got even better.

It wasn't that there was anything wrong with it. I spent the first lockdown admiring bikes online so bought a new TCR with Di2, disc brakes and carbon wheels once the bike shops opened back up, and the CAAD was sacrificed for that.

I would have gladly kept it had I the space but didn't feel it would get the use, my other bike is a Cannondale Synapse which gives more variety with the TCR.

I also think it is more suited to rim brake builds for some reason (mine was disc). I was talking to a clubmate a few weeks ago and he was saying there is too much to go wrong on my TCR - discs, electronic gears, tubeless and carbon rims. My next project will be a rim braked, very simple build so if I saw another CAAD12 frame going cheaply it would be a perfect candidate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Plastik wrote: »
    I'd have been annoyed previously too but try looking for new bikes online and you'll see that the lead times are all over the place.
    a colleague of mine has a friend who runs a bike shop in Dusseldorf. he's been told by some suppliers that the next expected delivery date is may or june.

a few months back, he bought the entire stock of a bike rental business in spain or the canaries just to get stock in.

• Advertisement

IMG-20210107-115705.jpg

Hope there is a few freebies in there to make the wait worth your while

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Finally!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Pictures of the build as you go, please

IMG-20210107-123519.jpg

So! Yes, it finally, finally, FINALLY arrived. Pretty much 12 months to the day I ordered the frame originally in celeste and black! I got a couple of free bidons and a snood thingy for my patience. - The last of my concerns tbh, I just wanted the damn triangle, I was starting to think with Brexit I might not get it at all, or have to pay customs or vat or something.

Pic above isn't great but the frame is actually lovely. There are lots of little details in it that I didn't really appreciate until I started mucking around and attaching bits to it. The logos are a lovely green and then there's some cool purple banding and little graphics and stuff, it's very tasty.

I'm afraid I won't have any step by step build pics, I just put bars, stem seatpost, saddle and wheels on to create a BSO and then tossed the lot in the boot and dropped it off at Bee Cycles where no doubt he'll have to take off and properly reattach my efforts :).

But it should look great. I've spent the year buying bits for it so I have matching fizik bars stem and seatpost, ksyrium exalith slr hand me downs, ten speed Sram red groupset which is all superlight, but I've switched out the standard red chainset with a new Sram red 22 compact one. And then a Romin evo saddle and lizardskin to complete the touch points.
    Hopefully there's no problem with the frame this time around and I can properly see for myself what all the Alu buzz is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I can't believe you outsourced the best part of buying a bike in pieces :eek:

Looking forward to seeing the finished build I'm sure it'll be stunning even though I did prefer the other colour :D :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a man who takes his bike to bed. that deserves a medal.

btw, all the coolest people have bright yellow bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

"fat wrote:
    I'm afraid I won't have any step by step build pics

:(

Advertisement