Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Faugheen wrote: »
    And you claimed you couldn’t be because you have a mixed race child.

Yet here you are, again, making excuses for racists, such as par for the course.

Hazel Chu has faced years of this from nutcrackers and it is because of her surname and because she looks a little bit different to the standard Irish-born person.

Racist statements don’t have to be made for this to be racially motivated. You look at everything in a black and white context rather than looking at the pattern of behaviour that Hazel has faced since she came into public life, all from these far-right loons. Why are they protesting outside her door? She doesn’t make the decisions, she lives and abides by her own.

You constantly apologising for these loons and playing down this behaviour means you are enabling for your child to face similar **** in the future. Are you going to tell them to cop on and get over themselves? I would hope not.

You constantly run around this forum looking for people to go after if they make any suggestion racism is involved and you try to shut it down.

However, if there is any hint of racial motivations towards white people? Well you’re on it like a hot snot.

Good post. Gotta love how Hazel triggers these people. Just look at the thread, we even had a poster make an account just for this thread! lol hopefully she goes from strength to strength after she leaves office but we still have 5 more great months with her as our Lord Mayor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yet here you are, again, making excuses for racists, such as par for the course.

Hazel Chu has faced years of this from nutcrackers and it is because of her surname and because she looks a little bit different to the standard Irish-born person.

Racist statements don’t have to be made for this to be racially motivated. You look at everything in a black and white context rather than looking at the pattern of behaviour that Hazel has faced since she came into public life, all from these far-right loons. Why are they protesting outside her door? She doesn’t make the decisions, she lives and abides by her own.

You constantly apologising for these loons and playing down this behaviour means you are enabling for your child to face similar **** in the future. Are you going to tell them to cop on and get over themselves? I would hope not.

You constantly run around this forum looking for people to go after if they make any suggestion racism is involved and you try to shut it down.

However, if there is any hint of racial motivations towards white people? Well you’re on it like a hot snot.

You're post is filled with assumptions and little substance. It's probably one of the most uncharitable interpretations I've ever seen on boards. Unless you can read said posters mind, the majority of your post is speculation laced with your own ideological bias.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nullzero wrote: »
    Prove it.

You stating something as fact doesn't mean it isn't open to being scrutinised.

Ah stop. There you go again, asking for proof, that you know you wont listen to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Effects wrote: »
    Ah stop. There you go again, asking for proof, that you know you wont listen to anyway.

I won't listen to it because the proof that this forum is "far right" doesn't exist as evidenced by nobody being able to supply it.

Glazers Out!

Well that's just more lies.

Hazel Chu has received racist abuse. Absolutely. I never once would stand up for that and condone it unreservedly.

This thread isn't about that. It's about the protest (which I disagree with also) and how it was somehow racist. It wasn't.

The dilution of the term racist is a huge problem. How can people call out actual racist and actual racism when the term can mean someone who doesn't automatically see everything as racist?

Pointing out hypocrisy of people who constantly strive to find racism as being almost as damaging as actual racists is enough to be labelled a far right apologist and a racist.

If there is a hint of genuine racism against white people I am indeed on it like a "hot snot". Why wouldn't I be? Positive discrimination is discrimination, treating people differently because of the colour of their skin is wrong. White or not.

I will tell my daughter if she suffers genuine racial abuse, we will sort it. The last thing I would want is my daughter to benefit or to be hindered by her ethnicity. Her actions and attitude will get her through.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

What a surprise

where do you see the racism in some nut case thinking she is one of the lizard people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Gardaí would want to up their intelligence game on this stuff. It actually wouldn't be too hard to get ahead of these pr1cks and give them a good scare by catching them red handed and charging a few of them with harassment, Covid violations and so on.

These scum are amateurs and of course cowards. It was telling that so of the most extreme examples of their ilk, that attacked the Capitol in WDC turned into bubbling children when the FBI tracked them, charged them, travel banned them and in some cases remanded them. They are just the worst sort of cowards, the type that would see a fella beaten up then join in with a kick when he was already unconcious.

I disagree with Hazel Chu on just about every aspect of her politics, but I'd defend to the last her right to hold those views and represent her voters. In fact I'd love a coffee and a good natter about policy with her.

But, if the Guards don't get ahead and get between these ****s and peaceful politicians and activists in our democracy, some of us will do it for them and the outcome will not be pretty for the fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

biko wrote: »
    Is anti-maskers far right now?
    Sure Sweden were anti-mask for a long time. Many there are still not using masks.

It's a confused mix, but most anti-maskers we've come across on the conspiracy forums tend to be from the "alt-right" side of the spectrum.

Anyway, far-left or far-right, the same common denominator: extreme and often stupid views

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Larbre34 wrote: »
    But, if the Guards don't get ahead and get between these ****s and peaceful politicians and activists in our democracy, some of us will do it for them and the outcome will not be pretty for the fascists.

There's a whiff of Walter Mitty off of this.

The "Fascists" as you describe them in this country are a tiny cohort and vigilante justice is not required to deal with them.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Good post. Gotta love how Hazel triggers these people. Just look at the thread, we even had a poster make an account just for this thread! lol hopefully she goes from strength to strength after she leaves office but we still have 5 more great months with her as our Lord Mayor. :D

The city is quickly turning into Detroit.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well that's just more lies.

Hazel Chu has received racist abuse. Absolutely. I never once would stand up for that and condone it unreservedly.

This thread isn't about that. It's about the protest (which I disagree with also) and how it was somehow racist. It wasn't.

The dilution of the term racist is a huge problem. How can people call out actual racist and actual racism when the term can mean someone who doesn't automatically see everything as racist?

Pointing out hypocrisy of people who constantly strive to find racism as being almost as damaging as actual racists is enough to be labelled a far right apologist and a racist.

If there is a hint of genuine racism against white people I am indeed on it like a "hot snot". Why wouldn't I be? Positive discrimination is discrimination, treating people differently because of the colour of their skin is wrong. White or not.

I will tell my daughter if she suffers genuine racial abuse, we will sort it. The last thing I would want is my daughter to benefit or to be hindered by her ethnicity. Her actions and attitude will get her through.

She is targeted by the same groups who have been racially abusing her in the past.

She is being targeted by these groups because of her race, like she has been throughout and like you have acknowledged she has been.

Again, you downplaying this does nothing but enable it to happen again, all because specific words weren’t said.

She is targeted by these morons because of her race, like she always has been. If you can’t see that, fine, but don’t blame me for being suspicious of you taking the side of the racists again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

According to some folk who POST here, the Current Affairs forum is far-right.
    It is
    Prove it.

You stating something as fact doesn't mean it isn't open to being scrutinised.
    You spend a lot of time on what you consider a far-right platform.

That's odd behaviour.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Bollix.

The only ones who think that tend to spend their lives in feedback telling us the far right are under everyone's bed,

It's must be a new kink labeling politics

Mod:

This is not discussion for this thread, it is discussion of Current Affairs and thus belongs in Feedback, let's try to stay on topic folks.

There have been a multitude of posts deleted, troll posts, some that quoted said troll and others that are just full of nonsense throwing insults. Please post in a civil manner regardless of your opinion on the subject matter and/or person.

Thanks.

She is targeted by the same groups who have been racially abusing her in the past.

She is being targeted by these groups because of her race, like she has been throughout and like you have acknowledged she has been.

Again, you downplaying this does nothing but enable it to happen again, all because specific words weren’t said.

She is targeted by these morons because of her race, like she always has been. If you can’t see that, fine, but don’t blame me for being suspicious of you taking the side of the racists again.

I'm not enabling anything. I said this incident wasn't racial abuse.

If somebody from an anti mask protest went up to Hazel Chu and shouted at her, calling her "a stupid bitch" , that would be abusive and intimidating, but it wouldn't be racist.

Less than that happened at this incident. Calling things racist when they aren't is counter productive.

I'm sure she does suffer from racist abuse and I condemn it. I also condemn her race baiting inflammatory comments from the other week.

And there is a huge difference between being "suspicious of me for taking the racists side" and being labelled a resident racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

She is a a race baiter of the highest order but no excuse to go to where her family are.

The anti-mask brigade should be denied from receving any social welfare for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭TheDavester

RandRuns wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, can you name something she has ever done to serve the country?

This, what actually has she done, for in this role/political career other than race baiting, identity and gender politics pushing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Jumped the gun and went along with the Twitter mod accusing innocent male school teachers of being paedophiles/ephebophiles and called members of An Garda Síochána racist and murderers. Her position is untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So the gardai made one arrest because someone repeatedly broke public health guidelines,but no arrests for hate speech or threatening and abusive behaviour ,but bizzarely one person claims it's all racist

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

So the gardai made one arrest because someone repeatedly broke public health guidelines,but no arrests for hate speech or threatening and abusive behaviour ,but bizzarely one person claims it's all racist

I don't think hate speech is a crime in Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure Hazel is working on something related to that? Hate speech laws are needed but the recent fines we've seen have been encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭TheDavester

I don't think hate speech is a crime in Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure Hazel is working on something related to that? Hate speech laws are needed but the recent fines we've seen have been encouraging.

Think it comes under threatening behaviour/public order type offence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Can't convict under laws that don't exist http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Legislating_for_Hate_Speech_and_Hate_Crime_in_Ireland_Report

I will agree no one was arrested for threatening and abusive behaviour though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Racism is against the law in Ireland. Why would the Lord Mayor of Dublin be “working on” laws for Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There's a whiff of Walter Mitty off of this.

The "Fascists" as you describe them in this country are a tiny cohort and vigilante justice is not required to deal with them.

You say.

Where would you draw the line? Harassment, victimisation, assault, property damage, murder?

A failure by the authorities and indeed society to nip this stuff in the bud, would be repeating a mistake seen in places all over the World, all through history. I don't want to see a situation where we have to look back after a watershed event (think Veronica Guerin and organised crime and drug gangs) and say why wasn't more done sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Racism is against the law in Ireland. Why would the Lord Mayor of Dublin be “working on” laws for Ireland??

What laws?
    The only laws I know of that explicitly call out race are the equal status act. Which is not relevant in this case.
    What other laws are you taking about because the dept of justice seems to indicate there are not laws against racism.
    Same link as before
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Legislating_for_Hate_Speech_and_Hate_Crime_in_Ireland_Report

.anon. wrote: »
    Even more bizarrely, several of the usual suspects (who don't see racism anywhere

Prove it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Prove it .

The proof is littered throughout the thread, and several other threads too - a seemingly permanent stain on the place.

.anon. wrote: »
    The proof is littered throughout the thread.

Have you reported any of these actual racist posts ?

Can you prove that the protests were anything to do with racism , despite a Garda presence the only arrest was for breaching public health guidelines ,

So where was the racism

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Have you reported any of these actual racist posts ?

Can you prove that the protests were anything to do with racism , despite a Garda presence the only arrest was for breaching public health guidelines ,

So where was the racism

You know where the racism is. It’s been explained umpteen times throughout this thread. You’re not stupid and you’re not blind.

However you do choose to live with your head in the sand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Still waiting for some one to point out something positive that she has done or some reason she deserves to be lord mayor of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm alarmed the media coverage of this seem to have missed the Q Anon element of what was said to her here in favour of how absurd it sounds superficially.

This can't just be laughed off because it sounds mental, people this far into the conspiracy theory rabbit hole have done serious harm on the basis their victims aren't really human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there any direct way the electorate can get rid of a Lord Mayor ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement