Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I've no interest in your posts about the white house. What are you on about? :confused:

I've said before, the post title is wrong, and should be changed. It's presented to make the protestors look bad from the word go, by being manipulative.

Are you OK?

The very first line of your reply to me was to say something something about trumps home (formerly the white House).

Are you suggesting that anti mask protesters outside the home(mansion House) of the Lord mayor of Dublin had a valid point to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

Thats good to know you agree equality is a goal to strive for.

I don't agree with hazels comments on the knife incident. I haven't said a single thing in defence of them. But this thread has nothing to do with that incident or Hazels response.

But to answer you while I might not agree with Hazel on the knife incident I will defend her right to talk about it as she wishes on twitter so long as she is not abusing any individual on racial gender religion etc grounds.

Go to the soccer forum and read some of the over the top comments from people there about tackles or incidents. They get very agitated and discuss the incident using much hyperbole but no crimes or abuse is committed and they have the right to speakk as they wish just like Hazel has on the incident.
    I dont really use twitter for many years because it is a cesspit of nonsense from all sides on all topics. But I'm sure I wouldn't be very long searching for actual racist and hate filled posts about people on ethnic lines regarding the incident. So in the grand scheme of things Hazel getting her knickers in a twist and wrongly calling the Garda racist is probably the least worst thing I will find if I really go looking at twitter on the balbriggan knife incident.

I agree with you that she should be allowed spout whatever nonsense that I disagree with on twitter as that's what free speech is all about. I disagree with you on the severity of race baiting events that have no basis. You need only look slightly to the west of us to see what damage that can do to sow division and the destruction it can have both physically and mentally to a country in just a few short years if left without criticism and counter evidence.

It dilutes real claims of racism, including Hazel's, to a lot of people when bogus claims are allowed to be perpetuated.

Why would the Gardai encourage you to report something they can’t charge someone with??

Good question.
    Perhaps weldoninhio while hate speech is not directly illegal as shown by the DOJ site perhaps in the act of hate speech the perpetrators of said hate speech may actually commit an indictable offence. Such as threatening and abusive behaviour. The Garda could then charge said individuals under such an act. So while hate speech is not illegal and until such time as it is the garda are using the powers avaliable to them to persue criminals.
    Would you expect any less from our excellent Gardaí?

https://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/6/revised/en/html#:~:text=Threatening%2C%20abusive%20or%20insulting%20behaviour%20in%20public%20place.&text=6.,the%20peace%20may%20be%20occasioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Well if you had two faces you could wear both a mask and a burka. One on each. Everyone happy. Problem solved
    Wrong those without masks not happy and this points also to human rights.
    Euthanasia if want to die, then who are you to stop them.
    dont want wear mask then their choice ---
    IF you claim they a danger then you stating "you wearing mask not protect you".
    this is ignorant corrupt politicians once again trying to jackboot the citizens.
    i wear a mask for some protection if it does actually give any but i may pick it up
    from a surface from another whom also wore a mask.
    utter stupidity to use political power in situation as this unless to
    Quarantine the country and citizens fully for a period of time is i guess would not
    stop the covid.

Sarcozies wrote: »
    I agree with you that she should be allowed spout whatever nonsense that I disagree with on twitter as that's what free speech is all about. I disagree with you on the severity of race baiting events that have no basis. You need only look slightly to the west of us to see what damage that can do to sow division and the destruction it can have both physically and mentally to a country in just a few short years if left without criticism and counter evidence.

It dilutes real claims of racism, including Hazel's, to a lot of people when bogus claims are allowed to be perpetuated.

I don't agree that's like blaming a rape victim because some other person falsely alleged rape.

Surely we should judge incidents of racism on the actual evidence of the incident and not what other people said about other things on twitter.
    If our justice is to be so easily clouded simply because stupid people say stupid shít on twitter (or boards, Facebook or any other Internet discussion platform) then I'd say shut them all down. But I would hope most rational adults could rise above the noise of idiots on social media and judge incidents on the evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's retards in this country who don't even like or accept people born to Irish parents outside the state, or Six Counties Nationalists, that's the IQ level of the people giving this woman grief, a sort of mental case uber puritan Hibernia than thou attitude, like anybody on Earth, themselves included, ever chose their birthplaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

How about no.

I know as much about walking in their shoes as they do about walking in mine.

I'm on the recieving end of various different slurs yet I don't make it define who I am.

Ginger people get abuse, fat people get abuse, people with glasses get abuse, skinny people get abuse, ugly people get abuse, overtly pretty people get abuse.

You are who you are, people will always abuse you for how you look and for things you can't change.

If you make your race your defining characteristic, don't be surprised when people comment on it.

Grand bit of whataboutery there!

The thread title is misleading, it should be modified. But, hey. Clicks.

Grand bit of whataboutery there!

Nope. Just highlighting inconsistencies in people's logic. Absolutely inaccurate to accuse me of whataboutism.

I refuted the argument with one whatabout. The only whatabout necessary.

What about the fact that the protesters weren't being racist during the incident in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

What about the fact that the protesters weren't being racist during the incident in question?

This goes back to why were these people protesting the lord mayor when they had an issue with wearing face masks?

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    This goes back to why were these people protesting the lord mayor when they had an issue with wearing face masks?

Could be a plethora of reasons. Publicity? Ease of access? Because they are idiots?

You'd need to ask them.

I wouldn't immediately be assuming racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The thread title is misleading, it should be modified. But, hey. Clicks.
    The mods of the forum don't read every post so they may miss your post.
    You need to report the first post using the report button and add a message report.gif
    Write in the message what you should the title should be.
    If the mods agree they will make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

dan1895 wrote: »

Perhaps, given the fact that Hazel appears to have unfettered access to every media outlet in Ireland any time she wants, they knew that protesting anywhere near her would immediately lead to spurious accusations of racisim, and would generate far more publicity than protesting say, the Taioseach or a mere minister for health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't have any real issue with Hazel Chu (I think she is a little student politics), however it's incredible the amount of air time and attention she gets. I couldn't have named a Lord Mayor of Dublin before her.

Those targeting her would be better off just Ieaving her alone as it just raises her profile each time. Let her and all politicians be judged by their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why is Chu and all the papers pushing the "far right" narrative?
    There is nothing in the papers to show protesters' political views.

They appear to be some garden variety nutters, that's not a political thing.
    One of the people who approached Chu touched her and offered to shake her hand.

When Chu said she couldn’t because of Covid guidelines, the group criticised her for wearing a mask and argued with her over other Covid-19 measures.
    ‘It wasn’t clear what they were protesting about’
    As she approached the steps of the Mansion House, Chu said one of the people shouted: “When you start turning into a shape-shifting dragon, we will catch you on camera.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-harassed-protesters-5332576-Jan2021/

biko wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-harassed-protesters-5332576-Jan2021/

Working on probability, they are more likely to be right than left but I absolutely agree, pushing the far right narrative is wrong.

It's not surprising rhough as the far right boogeyman gets clicks.

"Handful of lunatics call lord mayor a shape shifting dragon outside the Mansion House"

Or

"Far Right Thugs Racially Abuse Mayor Chu At Doorstep of her Family Home"

.anon. wrote: »
    I'm sure their sympathisers will be along soon to insinuate that there is, in fact, nothing wrong with them and that Hazel Chu is the problem. And also that she definitely wasn't singled out because of her ethnicity, and that she is only looking for attention.

There have been some truly terrible holders of the honorary position of Lord Mayor of Dublin in the past - corrupt chancers, in it for themselves - and none of those white men ever received anything like the kind of abuse that Hazel Chu gets. Can't think why.

Maybe because they didn't regularly imply that the country and its people had a big racist streak, based on some cherry picking anecdotal evidence. Also the mayors used to be seen once a year at most, it was a ceremonial role.

people generally call the place they live their home. She lives in the mansion house with her family. that makes it her home. how is that even open for debate?

So the people protesting outside the White house when Trump was president. We're they also out of order?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I've said this before and am sure I will say it again but this whole Covid thing has shown that there are many nutjobs in this world.
    I'm not joking either. A very large portion of the 7 billion plus people on this planet are mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

She really has zero self awareness.

She’s in the papers again today spouting on one hand, “If people are against my policies, if they’re against Covid, if they want to air their views, absolutely happy to take it”.

Yet despite these people being “against Covid” and mask wearing and telling her these things she also states “But what irks me is if you’re going to come at me, make sure that you have a reason apart from the colour of my skin”. Which not one of the protestors mentioned.

She’s talking out of both sides of her mouth.

• Advertisement

She really has zero self awareness.

She’s in the papers again today spouting on one hand, “If people are against my policies, if they’re against Covid, if they want to air their views, absolutely happy to take it”.

Yet despite these people being “against Covid” and mask wearing and telling her these things she also states “But what irks me is if you’re going to come at me, make sure that you have a reason apart from the colour of my skin”. Which not one of the protestors mentioned.

She’s talking out of both sides of her mouth.

I actively dislike her because of guff like this.

If I told her, she would call me racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw her Twitter feed earlier

She is saying “this is our home so be respectful”

Scarleh for her. Hazel the “mighty” Lord Mayor telling the plebs to tip toe and pussy foot past her grand mansion and don’t dare “cause a scene”.

Ffs. Those days are OVER.

Did I miss something. Has this hazel chu bought the mansion house from the state and it is now her and her family’s home?

It is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of dublin and once she is turned out at the end of her spell as mayor it moves with the role to the next mayor.

Why is she intent on going on about it being “our home”. It’s a public building. It’s not hazel chu’s.

Unless I missed the memo and she bought it???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I think I knew that the mansion house was supposed to be the mayors official residence but I am slightly amazed to find out that they actually lived there. I thought it was just a ceremonial thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think I knew that the mansion house was supposed to be the mayors official residence but I am slightly amazed to find out that they actually lived there. I thought it was just a ceremonial thing.

They have always lived there. Its an actual home.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Saw her Twitter feed earlier

She is saying “this is our home so be respectful”

Scarleh for her. Hazel the “mighty” Lord Mayor telling the plebs to tip toe and pussy foot past her grand mansion and don’t dare “cause a scene”.

Ffs. Those days are OVER.

Did I miss something. Has this hazel chu bought the mansion house from the state and it is now her and her family’s home?

It is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of dublin and once she is turned out at the end of her spell as mayor it moves with the role to the next mayor.

Why is she intent on going on about it being “our home”. It’s a public building. It’s not hazel chu’s.

Unless I missed the memo and she bought it???

If I rent a place for a fixed period of time say for arguments sake a house for 12 months, is that my home for 12 months or is just someone's else's property I am renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭briany

JMNolan wrote: »
    I honestly think deplatforming these nutters has made things worse now that they have their own platforms (gab/telegram/mewe).

Deplatforming works to the extent that it's harder to pull in new people, but it would be very difficult, and arguably incorrect (free speech), to stop from organising on any platform which would have them. There was probably little radicalisation happening on Parler, for example, other than the further radicalisation of the already radicalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

If I rent a place for a fixed period of time say for arguments sake a house for 12 months, is that my home for 12 months or is just someone's else's property I am renting?

Its your home
    Before I bought mine any house I rented I called my home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

biko wrote: »

The shape shifting thing sounds absolutely barmy from a distance, but it's not random gibberish. It's a Q Anon offshoot - the belief that at the heart of everything, world leaders are part of a non-human conspiracy ring, the Draconians, and that you can catch them out by recording them and looking through the frames for moments their disguise slips (eg eyes change colour). It's basically a repackaged David Icke idea, but reworked to fit into Q Anon's general weird nationalist strongman ARG stuff.

The fact it sounds laughable is distracting, it's a particularly dangerous frame of mind because if the person you hate isn't human - and poses a threat to real human children - nothing you do to them can be wrong. It is a particularly appealing kind of crankery for clinically paranoid "lone wolves"

There have been a number of murders and a bombing associated with it.

The shape shifting thing sounds absolutely barmy from a distance, but it's not random gibberish. It's a Q Anon offshoot - the belief that at the heart of everything, world leaders are part of a non-human conspiracy ring, the Draconians, and that you can catch them out by recording them and looking through the frames for moments their disguise slips (eg eyes change colour). It's basically a repackaged David Icke idea, but reworked to fit into Q Anon's general weird nationalist strongman ARG stuff.

The fact it sounds laughable is distracting, it's a particularly dangerous frame of mind because if the person you hate isn't human - and poses a threat to real human children - nothing you do to them can be wrong. It is a particularly appealing kind of crankery for clinically paranoid "lone wolves"

There have been a number of murders and a bombing associated with it.

I agree that it's bizarre and dangerous but...

It's no more dangerous than accusing people you don't agree with as Nazis/fascists who deserve and NEED to be attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.

A female member of the protestors was arrested and later fined for breaching public health laws.

Link here.

What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

A woman I used to do dog-sitting for as a teenager has gone off the deep end with this kind of conspiracy stuff in the last few years. She has accosted shop workers in our home town in the street, screaming at them for the signs they have up in the shops they work in asking for people to wear masks. She’s also been permanently banned from Facebook. This was a woman who was totally normal when I was dealing with her twenty years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement